What motivated you to start growing/taking care of your hair?

All of my hair had fallen out and I was bald and desperate. That was in September 2007. I am what I call a full NL now and growing. Currently my hair is my glory and I am going to treat it as if it were silk.

Last edited:
I tried a perm to look older. But I never liked the way permed hair looked, so I kept trying to get new haircuts to make it work. Then, stuff started breaking off at the top of the crown. Then I decided it wasn't working for me, I didn't like it, and I wasn't feeling it! LOL so I chopped it off, 2 1/2 months post my last relaxer! Then I started researching to get my length back quick before graduation, and I found LHCF. Now, it's on and popping!

For me, I had long hair when I was a little girl. It was mbl. When I started doing my hair (my mom used to do my hair as a child), it started to break off bad. Moving forward, I had a bad color job done and my hair broke off and then a month later had a bad relaxer done and my hair pretty much was ripped out and was thinner than it usally was. That's when I made the decision that if my hair is going to get back healthy then I need take matters into my own hands because they don't really teach you how to care for hair in cosmetology school. They just teach you the basics. I learned everything else on my own and I am still learning and loving it. I've had a few minor set backs, but my hair is improving.

It started off as a challenge to myself to see If I could grow my hair past EL without it being damaged. So far so good.

I couldnt find a stylist that I liked AND I had a horrid relaxer experience. She switched the relaxer on me, my hair did not like!

I don't have a problem growing my hair it's keeping my hair. I'm trying to keep my hair this time around. I've nursed it back many times to only let it break off again. I'm tired of the viscious cyle. Like another poster said I enjoy doing the research, trying new products, and trying new techniques.

My thinning edges 2006 from a wack hair 'stylist's' relaxer techniques led me to a Domincan stylist who used KUZ on my hair every two weeks which led me to buy my own jar and the perusing of the BSS for more hair care products; ultimately this led me on line finding LHCF which taught me the possibilities for my broken, thinning hair!

I met a boy. And fell in love. And knew that he'd be the boy that I would marry. In all of the pictures in my head...my visions and dreams of my wedding day...I've always had a hair style in mind (long curls). So, I started to grow my hair out, and on my wedding day (which we've been talking about will be sometime in the summer of 2010) I'll be able to recreate the wedding hair of my dreams.

bein a freshman on campus n '06...i wanted to pledge zeta & my personality clicked w/ a lot of ppl. so after a few wks on campus: all the zetas I met: had their stuff together: nails, hair, & brows done...and I look like a loser. even though I felt pretty..my hair: whoa! so instead of a weave like 90% of the girls: I wanted real. real healthy flowy long hair

Giving birth to my daughter knowing that I didn't have a clue what the heck to do with anybody's hair :lol: :yep: I didn't want her to end up like me 20 years down the line confused and frustrated. :lachen:

My best friend is getting married in November 2010, I'm the maid of honor and I want to have perfect hair for such a big role. :look:

I was looking for info on rollersetting and i stumbled across Macherieamour's tutorial...my jaw dropped cuz i'd never seen hair that long on a black woman before! From there I was led to LHCF and then I seen more women with beautiful long hair, so here i am!

DITTO... plus it I made a personal committement to myself that I would no longer use curling irons or flat irons, because I was fry my hair and any growth would have to be trimmed/cut off.

So like my siggy says....

Back