Votes: 49 29.9%
  • 4B

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • 4C

Votes: 3 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ALWAYZL8

My mother says this is my hair type. This is what my hair looked like at 13 years old before my first relaxer. I'm transitioning at the moment, and I'm trying to decide if it is time to go ahead and chop of the rest of the relaxed ends. What do you think her type is? I need to know so I can research regimins of others with the same type beofre I take the plunge.

pe6357.jpg

Attachments

• Donna's Hair Type.jpg
    Donna's Hair Type.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 232
now although we all know i've been unsucessful in typing my own hair :blush:, this girl looks 3b to me (possibly 3c or with some 3c areas). her hair looks just like a friend of mine's, except my friend has hers thinned out and she styles it so it lays down. but she's shown me her "naked" unstyled hair before... still afro-textured like this, just with big curls/coils.

I'm so confused, this woman's curls look tiny to me. LL's, I think yours look bigger. I would have said she was 3c/4a. Her curls look smaller than the 3c model (Rachel True?) here. But in the end, it doesn't matter much. Just find people whose hair looks like yours to use as a starting point.

perfect example of a "highly textured" 3b. don't let that afro texture fool ya now. :grin:

if you go by the hair typing charts, her curls are larger than pencils and straws :perplexed

eta: Sorry OP - do you have a closer photo?

I'm looking at the bottom portions of her hair since the top isn't clear enough. i see some big curls down there. maybe she's even bordering on 3b/3c but it's very hard to see.

i think we need andre in here - LadyLibra, where's he at?

lawdhammercy yall.

Last edited:
We need to come up with a different system. I think Andre's lacks sorely in the 3 and 4 areas. Some sisters even suggest that we should have a 5 catergory and I agree. Do you ladies find the L.O.I.S. system more accurate?

Last edited:
That's 3b?????

Oh man, I'm totally confused. Looks like 4a to me. Maybe 3c.

I'm so confused, this woman's curls look tiny to me. LL's, I think yours look bigger. I would have said she was 3c/4a. Her curls look smaller than the 3c model (Rachel True?) here. But in the end, it doesn't matter much. Just find people whose hair looks like yours to use as a starting point.

Okay, I thought I was crazy.

I voted 3c/4a. :drunk:

pe6357.jpg
hurr3.jpg

i think my coils look a lot smaller. and if i'm 3c/4a... she must be 3b.

perfect example of a "highly textured" 3b. don't let that afro texture fool ya now. :grin:

if you go by the hair typing charts, her curls are larger than pencils and straws :perplexed

lawdhammercy yall.

i think the problem is, some people think only type 4 hair is "afro-textured." maybe type 3 on a good day. shoot my SO has totally straight Type 1 hair and it's still "afro-textured."

We need to come up with a different system. I think Andre's lacks sorely in the 3 and 4 areas. Some sisters even suggest that we should have a 5 catergory and I agree. Do you ladies find the L.O.I.S. system more accurate?

yes, i do prefer the LOIS method.

Last edited:
I'm just going to make up my own hair type. At least I'll know it's right. At least by my standards. lol.

I was thinking the model was 3c because the girls look type--maybe some 4A and a bit of 3b curls. I think he hair has also been teased a bit to make it flufflier.

I'm a type 0z

pe6357.jpg
hurr3.jpg

i think the problem is, some people think only type 4 hair is "afro-textured." maybe type 3 on a good day. shoot my SO has totally straight Type 1 hair and it's still "afro-textured."

It is much simpler isn't it?

I'm just going to make up my own hair type. At least I'll know it's right. At least by my standards. lol.

I was thinking the model was 3c because the girls look type--maybe some 4A and a bit of 3b curls. I think he hair has also been teased a bit to make it flufflier.

I'm a type 0z
In my siggy I note my type as curly:grin:

I say 4a as well....her hair looks on the kinky side with some 3c mixed in...but it also looks like it could have styled with a pic comb...
Ladylibra, I would consider you a 4a...

You should not only look at texture but also the diameter of the hair strands, is it fine or coarse. That will determine the kind of product (and i'm not considering styling products) that might respond better to your hair type....

I'm a type 0z

I guess that's what I am, too then. :spinning:

Yeah...I thought the lady was more on the 4a (with bits of 3c) side too.
When I saw her pic...I said to myself--"wow...that's what my hair would look like when it grows up!!!"

But I KNOW I'm definitely no 3b!!!
I think I'm more on the 4a side.

Another thing:
I think I read some time ago on the board...that Type 4 hair doesn't REALLY look wet when it really IS wet--especially compared to Type 3 wet hair.
- When my hair is sopping wet...it's STILL pretty big!!! And my curls are super tiny...like it APPEARS to be in the pic posted.

I agree with the other members: wish there were a closer pic of this lady's beautiful hair!! :-)

to the op:
just wanted to remind you that sometimes our hair texture changes as we age. you may chop, and have a totally diferent textue than expected.

Ok y'all, I magnified the pic. Her curls are really big that's why I say 3b. I would say Susan Sarandon would be a 3a. I think LL's would be 3c like she said.

No, this is the only pic my Mom sent me.

eta: Sorry OP - do you have a closer photo?

I'm looking at the bottom portions of her hair since the top isn't clear enough. i see some big curls down there. maybe she's even bordering on 3b/3c but it's very hard to see.

i think we need andre in here - LadyLibra, where's he at?

lawdhammercy yall.

andre's system is used to type the size of the curl ONLY.. it doesnt factor in the thickness, texture of the hair.

so based on curl size alone she would be a very highly textured 3c with a bit of 3b sized curls.

if she didnt fro out her hair, we'd get a better example of what her hair really looks like.

if someone with 4a/b froed out their hair, the curls would be almost invisible.

I think she is a 3C, she looks like my hair texture and I consider myself a 3C also. My daughter on the other hand, I consider to be a 3B. Here's a couple pictures of her:

DSC00166-1.jpg

When you do anything to her hair, it loosens up a lot, so this picture is a little deceiving. Here's one with no combing or brushing. Her hair is VERY soft.

DSC00028-1.jpg

Here's one I just took today:

DSC00055-1.jpg

I found a link to naturallycurly.com the other day when researching 3C hairtypes. There's a few pictures that may help you also: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=3016

It may be misleading b/c there are some pictures that I consider to be moreso 3-b, but if you sift through it, I am sure that you will get the jist.

Last edited:
type 3 hair def can fro, it just takes more effort.

for example
attachment.php

fro'ed my 3c hair

attachment.php

my 3c hair with leave ins and airdried

attachment.php

what it normally looks like after a cowash and airdried

Attachments

• IMG_05561-vi.jpg
    IMG_05561-vi.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 267
  • S5300034-vi.jpg
    S5300034-vi.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 265
  • S5300027-vi.jpg
    S5300027-vi.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 265
I see, I see! Beautiful hair btw :)

Yeah, I think you are a perfect example of a 3C. Make me want to go natural :grin:

My daughter's hair has coils that are just slightly larger than yours. Her 'fro' comes out with just big waves and tangles. That second picture above that I posted is her fro.

pe6357.jpg
hurr3.jpg

You look like a definite 4A to me, and that model's hair seems about the width of a pencil, the same as Silver, but just not as soft maybe from what I can tell far-away.

Last edited:
lhcf.jpg
pe6357.jpg

dang, that's the closest i can get resizing with photobucket...

i could buy that it's 3c-ish... but if that's the case, i am definitely NOT 3c. now y'all leave me alone :lachen:

Last edited:
Back