Natural Gals--What type of moisturizer do you use?

What type of moisturizer works best for you?

• Serum

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Leave in conditioner/creamy moisturizer

Votes: 184 78.3%
  • Shea butter

Votes: 34 14.5%
  • Other

Votes: 45 19.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Within the past few weeks, I've returned to Scurl. In previous years, I used it year round. I usually apply castor oil to my ends and my SheaMoisture Leave In beneath the Scurl. I don't believe I've had a problem with dryness but will definitely keep an eye out this winter.

I steam w/a deep conditioner weekly and that really starts everything off right...I also use a leave in conditioner (Mixed Chicks) and in the morning, spritz my hair with water and EVOO.

Last edited:
i use cantu shea butter leave it. Very moisturizing but not every girl likes it. i have 4a/b type hair. sometimes i also mix it with a tbsp of honey. that give me extra condition, shine, and softness.

I've been using S-Curl and Bee Mine Curly Butter for the past 3-4 months. So far the Bee Mine has the #1 spot.....for now.

Last edited:
I am transitioning and am 37 weeks post. My crown is a beast and is 4a. The rest of my hair is 3a and is good as far as moisture. i am thinking of trying Bee Mine Luscious Balanced Cream Moisturizer or My honeychild 3-4 combo hair creme, but i logged on here to see what has worked for others. now y'all got me thinking of trying s-curl. I have been using blended beauty silkshake and curly frizz pudding. They are good temporarily, but don't last but a few hours.

I'm using Shea Moisture, found it one day at target. I used the coconum & hibiscus conditioning milk. Makes my hair feel like silk, I know there is oils in there but it has the right about of oils and moisture. A perfect balance.

I'm surprised target is getting in the game so hard. They selling kera care and Miss Jessies.
Check out the reviews at target: shea moisture : Target Search Results

I use a creamy conditioner sealed with oil. During the winter months, however, I apply a light coating of Qhemet Biologics AOHC or BRBC before using a sealant.

I have been using Profectiv Mega Growth for a year now. It has been the best moisturizer so far (for me).

my hair is very picky. First I spray with my spritz(water, rosewater, aloe juice and brx braid spray), then i apply hydratherma naturals growth lotion, then i seal with butters n bars extra conditioning hair butter

If I'm moisturizing after a wash, I'll use Giovanni direct leave-in and seal with Jane Carter... In the yellow container. If I'm just moisturizing, I'll spray with a bottled water/Giovanni Direct Leave-In/aloe from a leaf and seal with Jane Carter. I've found that I don't need more than that. But I'm getting a steamer anyway!
I should add that I soak my hair in olive oil prior to washing, wash usually with Giovanni products (hair one conditioning cleanser for shampoo, but normally just cowash), and I end with an AVC rinse to help with porosity control.

Last edited:
My hair doesn't like leave-in conditioners, besides the conditioner I'm using is doing wonders for my hair. I think I'll try shea butter. My mom used it on my hair when I was a kid but I can't remember if it worked or not.

Aloe vera juice in my spray bottle, Suave Tropical Coconut Conditioner, EVCO or EVOO/WGO mixture to seal, on natural hair, if straight just a little of the oils on the ends. And I baggie sometimes of course.

Last edited:
I have a question regarding those that say s-curl for moisture....what do you do for the fall and winter, when there is not moisture in the air? just wondering because i never used it this season, so just curious.

When I used Scurl I always sealed with oil and avocado butter and I used that all year round with no problems my hair was never dry during the winter.

Yup, s curl.. I tried to use other stuff but always go back to old faithful.

I've mixed water and glycerin, that works too but made my bathroom floor slippery as heck and there's no use in having moisturized hair with a busted ***...lol

But yeah... scurl.
:blush:... :look:... :lachen::lachen::lachen:

I just barely stopped myself from busting out laughing at that one, and I'm at work right now! :lol:

I use CFCG as my moisturizer! For some odd reason I fell off the wagon for a few months or so, but now that I'm using it again I can't begin to imagine why I ever stopped! That stuff is AWESOME!

If I'm wearing my natural hair unstretched or in a bun, I would moisturize with S-Curl, African Royale BRX Spray, and/or Aussie Moist Conditioner. I've tried Hawaiian Silky 14n1 before but it caused build-up on my hair.

If I'm wearing my natural hair stretched out (like in some variation of a twistout), I moisturize with either Ultra Sheen Creme Satin Pres, Cantu Conditioning Leave-in Cream, or Aussie Moist Conditioner. I've also experimented with Organic Coconut Oil but have found that it makes my hair feel hard if I apply too much on my hair.

If I'm wearing my natural hair straightened with heat, I use the Ultra Sheen Creme Satin Pres to keep my hair soft and shiny. In the past, I have used Hot Six Oil but have ran out of that.

Last edited:
Kimmays Leave in modified with Olive Oil, Castor Oil, Lily of the Desert Aloe Vera Gel, and HE LTR leave in. My 4b hair stays soft and moisturized for days! I simply reactivate with distilled water every few days and may add some more to the ends. A definite keeper.

I'm in love with NuGro Spray Moisturizer. I keep my hair in twists. I am in love with this stuff. So much so that I've purchased 3 bottles (large) to keep on hand. I spray morniing and night and seal with some nyle oil, or any kind of oil I have laying around. JBCO is waay to thick, but I use that since I purhcased it.

The spray has glycerine in it. Be careful, because I drape a towel around my neck (it sprays out) and got some on my bathroom floor. I almost busted my azzz one morning and I had on heels. But I love it. Keeps my hair "juicy". And it's not expensive either.

I like to spray my hair with plain rosewater then use Qhemet's Amla and Olive Heavy Cream...this has worked the best for me. Then in the mornings, I spray with plain distilled water...I also spray with plain distilled water at night before bed.

Shea butter, I am now finding, is a little too greasy for my hair, but the above keeps me moisturized for days...I need to find something else to do with the shea butter...

I just started using Oyin's Hair Dew, so this is going to be my new moisturizer of choice on dry hair.

I am currently using Neutragena's Triple Moisture but once I a done with the jar I am going to find something else. I want something creamier with more moisture. I feel like it just doesn't penetrate my hair.

4B here...My hair has a mind of it's own and all it ever seems to want to say is "***** I'm thirsty, can a coil please get somethin' to drank?!"

My hair prefers thick heavy moisturizers. Nothing lighter than the Hollywoods Olive Oil Cream moisturizer will do. I think that's why its all over the Miss Jessie's and the ORS Hair Mayonase for Deep cons - It just responds very well to the heavier stuff. I do use a leave in spray but it loves the heavy creamy stuff.

Now you got me wondering if I need to look into getting some palmades.....See what you did LOL!

I've been searching to find a good moisturizer. I'm all natural now but hiding my hair with wigs and weaves. My hair is making a good recovery after nearly losing a lot of it at the beginning of 2010. All the bald spots have regrown except for one small area at my nape on the right side. Lately I've been using shea butter but I don't like the way it makes my head smell so I have to find another one. I've tried Proline's Sof-N-Sheen for Extra-Dry Hair but it seems like it irritates my scalp. Just about everything does... :(

Forgive the dumb question but does s curl make u ladies hair feel greasy? I just remember the 80s at the height of the jheri curl

NOPE! Not Greasy JUST MOIST> MOIST > MOIST. It can leave a sticky feeling if you use too much though.

I think S Curl is best daily moisturizer used for type 4's, the driest of the dry hair types.

Neat trick for winter S Curlers: Spray hair thoroughly in S Curl before going out in the morning, then cover hair in shower cap and cover with a winter hat. Keep that on for about an hour or so. The heat from your head soaks the S CURL even more deeply into your hair. When you get to work/school/wherever take off shower cap and hat fluff/fix hair. Hair will be moist for at least two days. I've only been using S CURL since May. That's all I use on my hair. Breakage has significantly reduced. SIGNIFICANTLY! Still some breakage though but I know it isn't due to moisturizer. I probably need to up my protein

Last edited:
Back