what has changed the game for you in your haircare journey

-HeyFranHey's videos. they've provided a great base that have completely turned my hair around.

Thing is particular I that now do or use
-finger detangle
-use GBP before shampooing
-AVJ rinses
-braid/twist styles for the week
-coconut oil
-wheat germ oil

My list is pretty much the same as the OP, besides the protective styles. I love long term protective styles. I style my hair about 8 times a year. :lol:

I would add onto the finger detangling...Things really changed for me when I stopped obsessing over tangled hair. It's almost as if, the less time I spent detangling, the less it needs detangling. The last time I detangled was in June maybe. And no, I have no mattes, dreds, knots, what have you... I put in my mini braids without detangling first and if I had any of those things going on there would be no way I could part and braid my hair this small.

- Co-washing
- No longer fearing protein (I do a protein treatment 1x a month)
- No overnight deep conditioning or deep conditioning for hours as it throws my hair off balance. I deep condition for 20 mins max
- A good detangling conditioner and my seamless comb
- sealing with butter blends
- using leave-in conditioners as opposed to mixes
- paying attention to cleanliness and health of my scalp
- no longer overdosing on supplements :nono: :lol:
- streamlining my product stash and being consistent

Finger detangling
Low manipulation in general
Getting over guilt that my hair loves silicones
Abandoning desire for blunt hemline
Limiting heat to 1x per year
Washing in sections according to hair type (I end up with 3 sections that I divide into 2 mini sections and then wash). Saves me *a lot* of grief.

Henna
ACV Rinses to help with porosity
Tea Rinses
Aubrey Conditioners
Finger Detangling
Ayurveda Oils
Grape seed oil

Co Washing.

Using fingers to detangle and only using a 'bone' comb to do a proper detangle before getting my relaxer. Low manipulation.

Stretching relaxers

Protective styling

No heat except on special occasions and relaxer day.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Angelicus What is your method for washing in sections?
Raspberry, I part my dry hair in 6 sections-- three in the front and three in the back. I secure each section with a clip. I wash and deep condition my hair in sections.

I do not detangle these sections until I rinse out the conditioner. This method helps me roller set my hair faster! Try it!

Angelicus said:
Raspberry, I part my dry hair in 6 sections-- three in the front and three in the back. I secure each section with a clip. I wash and deep condition my hair in sections.

I do not detangle these sections until I rinse out the conditioner. This method helps me roller set my hair faster! Try it!

I usually do 4 sections but now you have me wanting to try 6...or at least divide the back into 3 since I'm noticing a little breakage in the middle of the back! Good tip!

@Raspberry, I part my dry hair in 6 sections-- three in the front and three in the back. I secure each section with a clip. I wash and deep condition my hair in sections.

Angelicus Thanks! My biggest issue with washing in sections is the fear that I'll be in the shower forever.. does it take a ton of extra time?

Angelicus Thanks! My biggest issue with washing in sections is the fear that I'll be in the shower forever.. does it take a ton of extra time?

I work quickly. I wet my hair and then turn off the water. Then I shampoo each section. Then rinse, shut off water. Then I condition each section (then get under the dryer). Then I rinse it out in sections.

It does take a little more time (just a little) but the reward is great because roller setting is a breeze after washing my hair in sections. So the total hair care time is less. HTH.

Accepting that my actual hair texture is not the texture that I want it to be. Acceptance has been the best thing that's happened this 2nd time that I am going natural, and it has indeed changed my game. Whether I remain natural or choose chemicals I now accept that I have slow growing hair and that I have a coarse texture that isnt't necessarity curly like I how I visualize (fantasize, lol) it should be.

Game on to my 4B Natural hair! :)

Smiley79 said:
Accepting that my actual hair texture is not the texture that I want it to be. Acceptance has been the best thing that's happened this 2nd time that I am going natural, and it has indeed changed my game. Whether I remain natural or choose chemicals I now accept that I have slow growing hair and that I have a coarse texture that isnt't necessarity curly like I how I visualize (fantasize, lol) it should be.

Game on to my 4B Natural hair! :)

That was hard for me too (apparently too hard since I relaxed) . But if you look at a lot of the long haired 4bs who have almost no curl pattern, once they get some length their hair looks amazing. The weight gives more hang time, the twist outs and braid outs look so lush, and their hair when well moisturized looks so lush. So if u can hold on , give it some time and you'll be loving ur hair more and more. I'm impatient so I settled for texlax :p

Keeping my hair twisted 90% of the time, and using no direct heat as really helped me gain a little over half an inch in a month!

-Using a hands off approach to my hair

-Washing hair while in braids.

-Deep conditioning once a week

-Moisterizing and sealing ends once a day

-Coconut oil and Shea butter. The best!!!

-Washing my hair in twists
-Trimming hair regularly
-Moisturizing and conditioning in sections
-Finger detangling on dry hair before wetting hair
-I smooth my hair while applying products. It helps the cuticles lay flat, and keeps frizz at bay
-Cold water rinses
-Whenever I looked at youtube hair tutorials I used to say to myself "My hair can't do that or I'm not skilled enough to create a style like that" I try to encourage myself to do different styles. Now I get compliments from my friends and family on my unique and professional looking hairstyles.
-Sticking with what works, while letting go of products/techniques that don't

1. Knowing my "hair type/profile" - really helped when finding products and ingredients that worked for my hair. And explained why certain ingredients/products always left my hair frizzy.

2. Co-washing - Never would have thought of this. Has helped keep frizz at bay

3. Heavy sealing - saved my ends and keeps hair moisturized for days

4. Trimming regularly - I retain better plus healthier better looking hair

5. Ditching relaxers- same as above

6. Protective styling - it works and doesn't have to be boring

1. Deep condition with heat after every wash.
2. Using a sulfur oil on my scalp every other day.
3. Protective styling
4. Regular trims
5. Stretch relaxers but not for too long.

Even when I was natural I did not do 1-4. Now that I'm doing these things, I'm finally starting to retain length.

613/WEN
Ojon
Miss Jessies Baby Butter Creme
Miss Jessies Curly PUdding :grin:

I am a 613 for life girl and I adore this product to the fullest. I am totally amazed at how well my hair behaves and stays moist using this. I use this in combination with the OJON and my hair is even more moisturized then usual. Miss Jessies Curly Pudding & Baby Butter Creme has stolen my heart.

Finger detangling & mini twists...The bottom part of my hair is now touching the top of my bra...should've been there loooong time ago but now tha game has changed!!! :bdance:

I never wanted to do mini twists or any type of twists b/c they look like angel size spaghettis or noodles :lachen: and my scalp showing but now I embrace it and rock it :lol:

Protein, Protein, Protein. Makes the hair STRONG so it wont break/retains length.

Conditioning/Deep conditioning DRY HAIR -Relaxed hair is porous so the conditioner really soaks in where the water would already be if hair is wet.

Stretching relaxers. More new growth so can easily see which part needs to be relaxed and this prevents damage from overlapping/re-relaxing already relaxed hair.

Coconut and Avocado Oil. Great for conditiong and to replace "hair Grease". Hair is smooth and silky and and bouncy moisturized just enough, but NEVER oily and greasy and weighed down.

And switching from No-Lye back to a Lye Relaxer (MILD).

Last edited:
For me it was when I started using quality products ,switching from no lye to lye

Sent from my GT-I9100G using LHCF

Protein, Protein, Protein. Makes the hair STRONG so it wont break/retains length.

Conditioning/Deep conditioning DRY HAIR -Relaxed hair is porous so the conditioner really soaks in where the water would already be if hair is wet.

Stretching relaxers. More new growth so can easily see which part needs to be relaxed and this prevents damage from overlapping/re-relaxing already relaxed hair.

Coconut and Avocado Oil. Great for conditiong and to replace "hair Grease". Hair is smooth and silky and and bouncy moisturized just enough, but NEVER oily and greasy and weighed down.

And switching from No-Lye back to a Lye Relaxer (MILD).

@venusfly

Very nice Post.:yep: Thanks!

I plan to incorporated bolded. And I agree about the Protein.

Back