WHAT DO YOU DO WHEN YOUR LEAVE-IN DOESN'T MAKE THE GRADE?

kellistarr

with the excetion of a few, my hair doesn't like leave-ins. My hair only seems to respond well to a very moist leave-in . Many that I've tried contain wonderful oils and such, but none of this seems to affect my hair. The leave-in is either too oily, evaporates before I even get it in my hair good (these usually contain glycerin as one of the first 3 ingredients) or are just plain drying. I find that most leave-ins work better for me if my hair is wet. Some may provide luster and nothing else.

Since I am constantly trying new things, I've got a truckload of leave-ins. What I need is suggestions for other usage. Can I add a little this or that to make them more moisturizing? Can I use them for something other than what was intended? Can I deep condition with a leave-in on wet hair? Help me out! TIA

Sounds good! Like the idea of mixing with another condish. I'm writing in my hair journal for future reference. Ladies, keep it coming!

If it doesn't work for me I don't use it again. I haven't found that adding things helped that much. But you could try making conditioner cocktails that include some of your leave ins and see what you come up with. What doesn't work for you will probably work for a family member or friend so you can give some away - and also there's a for sale board here at lhcf - you could offer some of them there.

Going forward start with samples before you commit to full sizes. I started doing this coz I hate product clutter and it helps a lot.

Return it to the store since most places I buy from allows you to return/exchange something if it doesn't work. I'd rather get something I can use.

I either Mix it...Ask my roommate if she wants it ..or let it sit til I decide to throw it away...

I'll try chemistry experiments mixing it with coconut oil, my moisturizer...whatever.
If I cannot find a way to salvage it and make it work well for me.
I save it to give away at a meetup, or if i get annoyed with seeing it around i give it to the girls in my building.

I take half of it and pour it in a cup. I add 1-2 tablespoons of raw shea butter, 1 tablespoon of aloe vera juice and 1 table spoon of a think oil that I like, like JBCO. Now I have a nice creamy leave in and I didn't have to toss it. (I only do this with creamy water and shea butter base leave ins).

I've done it with Qhemets Burrdock Root because it was too light. I'm Done it with Shea Moisture Curl enhancing Smoothie, Uncle Funky's Daughter Good Hair, and any jacked up batches of AfroVeda (may they rest in peace). Sometimes I just add some Jojoba Oil or JBCO to Hair Milks like HairVeda Whipped Creme and KBB Hair Milk.

If the conditioner or leave in has humectants in it (= it doesn't work for me), I use it as a rinse out to co-wash or DC. If your hair gets dry with leave-ins that have glycerin, then you may want to try any moisturizing conditioner that has no protein and no humectants as a leave in. Works for me. While humectants bring moisture from the air into your hair or viceversa depending on the weather, the climate or simply your hair... I still find find they always behave and work well under the shower while my hair is 100% wet (I just make sure I rinse them).

Maybe you already know which ingredients in your proucts are humectants, anyway here's a nice list: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/humectants-used-in-hair-care-products
+ castor oil, jojoba oil, honey, agave and partially: avocado oil, pure aloe vera and some butters.

Last edited:
I either give it away or use it with something else (a heavier conditioner or leave in).

I second this. I have a 15 year old and we have different hair types (she already has her little set of staples), so I will let her try it first, before we give it away.

Thanks Ladies,

I'm already a backroom chemist, so mixing appeals to me. I'll give it a go and mix it up. Meanwhile, aside from the very few commercial leave-in's my hair likes, I'll try creating my own for awhile.

Back