What are YOUR pet peeves about going to hair salons?

SoforReal

Here are mine:

1) When somebody brings their bebe kids in and they don't know how to sit down and shut up!! :babyg:

2) When they comb my hair roughly while washing out the conditioner.

3) When they try to pass off cheapie products in expensive bottles.:busted:

4) When the shampoo girls keep a hawk eye on me until they get their tip

5) When the stylist combs and plays in my hair unnecessarily

6) When they cut/trim my hair without my permission

7) When the stylist styles my hair the way she wants to.

8) When my hair stylist is talking on the phone while doing my hair. :phone:

Ladies let me hear your pet peeves!!!!

Besides the time issue?

I hate it when they eat and don't wash their hands before putting them back in your hair!:eek2::crybaby::spank:

It's been a while, but used to be when they would wet you or base your scalp as soon as you came through the door and let you sit there forever.

It's been a while, but used to be when they would wet you or base your scalp as soon as you came through the door and let you sit there forever.

I think that's their way to keep you from leaving. They're trying to use reverse psychology with our vanity. :lachen:

They feel the need 2 apply too much heat!
They handle the hair roughly!
AND they like to CUT like their landscapers!

*Since when does a trim mean "CUT", or excuss me,..... in their case "CHOP"!

Last edited:
I hate most of these too. My personal favorites are: not listening to customer; "pulling rank" on customer because she (stylist) has X years of experience. That may be, but not with my hair that I've had most of my life. Finally, I hate it when stylists double-dip when waxing -- this is why any waxing I do, I do myself at home.

I too, hate the bebe kids being allowed to tear up the place.

I hate when they tell me that my hair is in awful condition at the top of their lungs!!

First of all- they are lying. :nono:

Second of all- just trying to trick me into thinking that I dont know how to caer for my hair- therefore I need to come to the salon weekly and line their pockets. Makes me sad that they have to revert to tryna embarrass me to get me to come back.

Third- they did not know my MAMA!! I can NOT be embarrassed.:look:

Actually I agree with all of you. Plus when you are trying to tell them something about YOUR hair they feel as though we don't know what the heck we are talking about; like they KNOW our hair better than we do. My goodness...:nono:...actually since I've been doing my own hair my hair is healthy, longer & much stronger!!!

When they complain about doing your hair. ****, what do you think this is? Uh... it's a SALON. Who do u think u are?? Umm... maybe.. A STYLIST?!

When they use H E A T evilly... (I'm talkin' blowdryer with a comb attachment, blow dryer w/ a round brush and a flat iron after I only asked for a wash and set).

Charging more than they advertised and then saying, "Oh yeah, but your hair is thick"

When they complain about doing your hair. ****, what do you think this is? Uh... it's a SALON. Who do u think u are?? Umm... maybe.. A STYLIST?!
Oooooooooh this really burns my biscuits!:burnup:Chick, I'm paying you so quit yer whinin'!

And the way they attack the hair with those stupid fine toothed combs (nappy hair's sworn mortal enemy) and rake from root to end. Grrrrrr....

That why I hardly ever go to salons anymore.

I hate when they tell me that my hair is in awful condition at the top of their lungs!!

First of all- they are lying. :nono:

Second of all- just trying to trick me into thinking that I dont know how to caer for my hair- therefore I need to come to the salon weekly and line their pockets. Makes me sad that they have to revert to tryna embarrass me to get me to come back.

Third- they did not know my MAMA!! I can NOT be embarrassed.:look:

I second that! Plus I hate it when they beg you to get your hair cut after you told them NO!!!

Besides the time issue?

I hate it when they eat and don't wash their hands before putting them back in your hair!:eek2::crybaby::spank:

O girl I thought I was the only one that hated this. One time a stylist was eating hot sausages and doing hair, I almost died:nono::nono::nono:.

I hate it when the comb falls on the floor and they pick it up and try to use it without washing it off or just using a new comb:wallbash:

O girl I thought I was the only one that hated this. One time a stylist was eating hot sausages and doing hair, I almost died:nono::nono::nono:.

I hate it when the comb falls on the floor and they pick it up and try to use it without washing it off or just using a new comb:wallbash:

I remember when the shampoo girl swept up all the hair and trash for the salon in one big pile and this stylist had the nerve to pick her rollers and comb out of this trash and put it right back in her drawer. Ewwwwwww :naughty:

Let's see where do I begin:

The stylist showing up after I arrive on time. (My appointment is at 10AM. Why are you showing up at 1030 or later?!) :ohwell:

Talking on the phone or in person to her homie/man/momma/little cousin/whoever. (Stop gossiping and finish my f***** hair! And tell your "guest" this is not the kick it spot!) :shhh:

While they are talking, having her guest occasionally comment on my hair. (O.K. I shouldn't complain because it's usually a compliment. I'm glad you think my hair is pretty but I would really like my appointment to end. But no 'cause y'all are still gossipin'.) :wallbash:

Washing my hair and leaving me at the bowl for a "deep conditioning" for what seems like hours on end, causing my neck to hurt. (Why should I suffer because you double booked and need to finish up your other client's hair?)

Don't let me go to a new stylist and have my hair in a bun. When I proceed to take it out of the bun, the stylist or assistant and others in the vicinity damn near fall to the floor. They proceed to comment loudly and dramatically that it's going to be a long process. (My hair is long, not thick. Wait and see what happens after washing and drying, 'cause you are about to feel stupid at how easy my hair is to "do".)

I could go on and on and on...

But I've gone on long enough. :grin:

Heavy handed/too rough-Slow your roll, that's a human head you workin on.

Nasty conversations- I'm no prude at all, but I dont want to hear about yo sexual exploits while I'm gettin my hair did.

Long phone conversations-hang up chile!

Other stylists all up in my personal space standing over me while my stylist is doing my hair- let me get some breathing room

- When they rip through my hair while roller setting it.
- When the boyfriend of the top stylist comes in to help clean up after work, but he doesn't wear a belt so his sweaty, kinky textured butt hair is apparent to the world as he bends over to apply windex to the silver plate beneath EACH chair in the WHOLE salon. Of course this is just hypothetical :look:
- When they take phone calls while doing my hair. I AM NOT PAYING YOU TO ROLL...TALK.TALK.TALK.ROLL....TALK.EAT.ROLL.
- When they don't listen to my instructions.
- When they look angrily at my new growth.
- When they rip through my hair with conditioner in it.

when the shampoo girl gets a bunch of water in your hair.

when your getting a relaxer and some of it falls on your shirt and bag.

when they are sloppy with applying the relaxer.

BESIDES THE MOST OBVIOUS LIKE LONG WAITS ETC, I HATE IT WHEN:

1) THEY HAVE LIKE 100 PEOPLE DOING DIFFERENT THINGS TO YOUR HAIR LIKE ONE PERSON SHAMPOOS, ANOTHER RINSES YOUR CONDITIONER OUT, YET ANOTHER COMBS YOU OUT AND ROLLERSETS AND THEN THE ACTUAL "STYLIST" FINISHES. BESIDES JUST NOT LIKING ALL THOSE HANDS IN MY HAIR, I FEEL PRESSURE TO TIP TOO MANY FOLKS!

2) THE SHAMPOO GIRL IS ROUGH AND SLOPPY, LEAVING MORE WATER RUNNING DOWN YOUR NECK AND BACK THAN ANYTHING ELSE.

3) LOUD ANNOUCEMENTS ABOUT NAPPY NEW GROWTH.

4) THE NEED TO SHOW ME (AND THE WHOLE SALON) ALL THE HAIR IN THE COMB BECAUSE OF AFOREMENTIONED NAPPY NEW GROWTH.

5) STINK TOWELS.

Let's see where do I begin:

Talking on the phone or in person to her homie/man/momma/little cousin/whoever. (Stop gossiping and finish my f***** hair! And tell your "guest" this is not the kick it spot!) :shhh:

Washing my hair and leaving me at the bowl for a "deep conditioning" for what seems like hours on end, causing my neck to hurt. (Why should I suffer because you double booked and need to finish up your other client's hair?)

LMAO!! Yes i HATE these too!! I also hate for someone else to shampoo my head other than my stylist, this has resulted in to short patches in the middle of my head!! They didnt completely wash out the relaxer, Hate it!

And many of you have said it, but combing out my hair like they WANT it to come out, cutting instead of trimming, and waiting till 3:30 for my 1:00 apt.!! :nono:
And i also HATE when my stylist CONSTANTLY tells me to come in every 6-8 wks for my touch-ups, he knows i'm still gone come in every 12 wks!! lol
This is why i've stopped going to them and started doing it myself.. :yep:

Last edited:
My stylist is great, but I do have some pet peeves:
1. She can be a little on the rough side.
2. She leaves the conditioner on for about 2 seconds flat.
3. She complains and complains that I should relax my hair more often because she doesn't like to detangle it. Isn't that her, um, job? :realitycheck:

Heavy handed/too rough-Slow your roll, that's a human head you workin on.

Nasty conversations- I'm no prude at all, but I dont want to hear about yo sexual exploits while I'm gettin my hair did.

Long phone conversations-hang up chile!

Other stylists all up in my personal space standing over me while my stylist is doing my hair- let me get some breathing room

Yes, no one needs to know what you and Tyrone did last night.:nono::nono::nono:

sitting in there for hours just for a wbc
shampoo girls ripping thru my wet hair with a comb
when the stylist is already behind and stops to get on the computer, eat, or whatever(yes i know everyone must eat but maybe you shouldnt over book and TRY to schedule your needed breaks accordingly:sad:)

I got more>>>

When they wash your hair and you can smell their armpits or their shirt is filthy.

When they engage in sexual talk.

Music is so loud your like, "Just take a little bit off the sides. JUST TAKE A LITTLE BIT OFF THE SIDES. I SAID JUST TAKE A LITTLE BIT OFF THE SIDES!!!!!

When all you need is to be flatironed and they decide to start some girl's relaxer so you wind up waiting 2 hours to get your hair flatironed.

When they don't thoroughly wash my hair...especially the nape part!

When they make you wait and wait and wait.

When they talk on the phone and doing a relaxer. I am sorry, you better let that ring or tell that person you will call them right back. This is my hair you working with!

When they hurry up and wet you down and make you sit with wet hair while they work on other customers. (To keep you from walking out!)

When they dont wanna do what you ask them to do. They get an attitude with you.

Whew, thank good I love my beautician!

Whew, thank good I love my beautician!

Mine is great, too. I currently have a punctual and quick stylist.

The stylist I was venting about was the one I had in high school and college. So unprofessional! But man did she have skills. My hair was always in tip top condition. Too bad she couldn't stop being trifling!:sad:

1. When I ask for a trim and get a cut!!!
2. When blowdryer is so hot, the heat burns my scalp.
3. When blowdryer, curling irons, etc. are so hot they smoke.
4. When I leave with my hair smelling burnt.
5. When hairdresser is talking on the phone while doing something important, like curling my hair, that she really needs to be focusing her attention on so she doesn't burn it.
6. While I'm in the chair, hairdresser spend more time tending to personal business than styling my hair.
7. Waiting!!!!! Waiting to get washed, waiting under the dryer, waiting in the chair....
8. Heat styling without using heat-protectant.
9. When the shampoo girl stratches your scalp with her nails.
10. When you are quoted a price range, instead of a price. And of course your charge is at the high end of the range because its long/thick/natural/etc.
11. When the hairdresser gives me bad hair advice like "girl, having color and a relaxer won't hurt your hair at all". ooooookay.
12. When I give the hairstylist a picture of the look I want and she says "ok, that's hot", but then the finished style looks NOTHING like the picture. Why didn't you say in the beginning that you couldn't do it!!!

Yes, I still have some bitterness against salons.

Back