Did ya'll see this list of stylist pet peeves?

This thread reminds me of a sign in the shop I go to (it's not my stylist's sign), but it goes, "Your poor planning is not my emergency!"
I kind of get this and so I make my next appts. before I leave on the day of service.

I only go once a year for a cut,like yesterday and they did call me to reschedule for 6 pm instead of 8 pm. I had to wait for 30 minutes and they kept apologizing and offering tea, etc. Guess my mean mugging face sitting in the lobby clearly stated that I was not happy to be kept waiting.

I never understood why it takes 5 to 6 hours to get a wash, press/flatiron and curl....I could never appreciate my hairstyle when far too much of my day was spent sitting, waiting in said salon. :nono: After 5 or 6 hours the last thing I'm thinking about is leaving a tip. :down: :nono:

Sent from my DROIDX using Long Hair Care Forum App

I never understood why it takes 5 to 6 hours to get a wash, press/flatiron and curl....I could never appreciate my hairstyle when far too much of my day was spent sitting, waiting in said salon. :nono: After 5 or 6 hours the last thing I'm thinking about is leaving a tip. :down: :nono:

Sent from my DROIDX using Long Hair Care Forum App

Agreed...although in my experience it comes down to how the stylist is scheduled. When my fav stylist worked in a white salon, they scheduled her according to services rendered AND supplied a support staff (poo girl, prep stylist/assistant) to keep her on schedule.

Sadly, when she moved to a black salon, this wasn't the case. They wanted to schedule her appointments 30 minutes apart AND did not provide a support staff (shampoo girl and prep assistant). Predictably her appointments would stack up because she would literally run from the shampoo bowl then try to prep 2 or 3 customers before getting to focusing on cutting and styling.

^^I understand these ladies have to do what they gotta do, but this is why I do not go to salons very often at all. Even back in high school, when alot of my classmates were going every week to two weeks. I usually reserved my visit to only the beginning of the school year or for some formal event (prom, homecoming) and even then I HATED it. I've always just been mostly a DIYer. They do what they need to do to survive, and I will do what I need to do stay sane.

on another note, i did go to a dominican salon last week and that was an okay experience. I think I was there 3 hours, not so bad. The only thing I truly didn't appreciate is some lady came in with clothes that she was selling and the person who was about to take down my rollers to blowdry and flat iron stopped to chat with this "vendor" and look at dresses. I don't know how often I would go, but it was not nearly as bad or expensive as some other salons. Although they used heat protect before the blowdry and before flatironing, and my hair has completely reverted,I still don't feel comfortable with the amount of heat used (Gosh, but hair did look great and felt light). And even though I didn't end up broke from my salong visit,I just really don't like giving away my money for something I could do myself. But I was home by 2pm and still had a full day to hang out. There were no kids running rampid. They stylists were not on their phones. B/c it was only walkin and no appts, they took each person as they came in. And they were not eating at the stations or had you waiting while they were eating (unless that person was on a true break).

Last edited:
before joining lhcf I wouldn't have left either, but now, I wouldn't think twice about leaving, telling them I don't like something, and not paying or not paying full price. We as the customer do haver options, we don't have to just take any kind of treatment and then pay full price and tip. ***

I am with you on this :up: . I wish I would put up with the foolishness I put up with pre-LHCF. They were running game on me big time because I didn't know any better. Best believe things are very different now. I wish I would pay you to be unprofessional and sloppy. Now thanks to LHCF and youtube I can do my own hair, but it will take me a little longer :yep:.

Wow, for the most part all of my stylist experiences have been great minus 2 (same 1 stylist). They focused on one, maybe two (towards the end of the first) customers at a time. The longest I've sat in a chair for anything other than single braids is 2, maybe 2.5 hours. Now, I don't really go to the stylist often.

These are valid concerns on the part of the stylist.

The clients complaints FAAAAAAAAAAR outweigh these in number though.

Last edited:
QUOTE"Keep in mind, you can not sue us for a bad hair cut, maybe for a chemical issue....but **** us off and we hold the power, literally, in our hands! Love Y'all!" QUOTE

I was with you on your other points, I'm sure some clients are tough to deal with but your last comment totally turned me off.

Hair is like money, its very dear to those it belongs to and if you threaten to mess with it
in anyway, even to make a point , just makes people uneasy.

Would you trust a banker that threatens to withhold your funds if your not polite?

I wouldnt!

As for cutting off more hair than is requested that is the easiest thing to accomplish. Just show the client what you are cutting so that they can approve/disapprove.

If the stylist KNOWINGLY and MALICIOUSLY does a deep cut when the client asked for a trim then some consequence other than just not going back is in order IMO.

I must admit, I never really got the tipping thing. As much as I pay to get my hair done, I am not going to add 15%-20% extra, unless something remarkable happened while I was there. My stylist IS the owner.

My stylist books appts online. I couldn't find an open appt for me and my daughter. Before I made one appt, her online booker said that there were numerous appts available, but once I made the appt for one of us, it said no more appts were available. So I called her and asked that she give me a call to let me know if a time was available, otherwise, just my daughter would be getting her hair done. She never called and when I showed up for the appt and asked her why, she said, you told me to call if a time was available, one wasn't, so I didn't call you. There is no courtesy in that. I still go to her for mine and my daughter's trim(a flat iron and trim, I wash and blow dry at home), but this is a 1-2 times a year visit.

I am ashamed to say I would've done what your stylist did. Not to be rude or anything but while your request could also mean you wanted to know whether or not an appointment was available (I see that after re-reading), I honestly would have not bothered you just to say "an appt is not available". I hate to excite people for nothing, and as "not busy" as I am, I know I don't like to waste time on the phone when I'm not really conveying anything new. "...otherwise only [the] daughter will be getting her hair done" is what is going to happen if I don't call to say an appointment is available. So I would honestly think we understood each other.

I think sometimes we do have to realize that the way we interpret things we say in our heads is not how other people do...and looking at the exchange there, I see where you both were coming from and can see how an honest misunderstanding could have happened.

I think the list is fair enough. It goes both ways...I have seen unprofessional stylists and I have seen uncouth customers.

For unprofessional stylists:
- Chewing, popping and SMACKING chewing gum like its going out of style.
- Answering their cell phone for EVERYTHING possible.
- Won't take walk-ins but scheduling appointments for 9 am and finishing THAT head at 5 PM. :nono:
- Getting into screaming matches with your spouse, SO or mate while working on a client.
- Not paying the rent so that YOU and your customers get set out on the parking lot at 11 am, wet heads and all.

Uncouth customers:
- Rifling through a stylist's station to find combs, brushes, etc to use on your rat trap hair.
- Dipping your fingers into products without asking.
- Walking in late and insisting that you get serviced cuz you are "in a hurry."

Its not always the ghetto shops either that you find stuff like this.

PLEASE tell me that the bolded is a joke.

PLEASE tell me that the bolded is a joke.

Nope. True story.

My fav stylist left a really nice salon for a quasi-ghetto one. Little did she know that the woman hadn't been paying the rent on the salon. Got there at 7 am and started heads. The sheriff's department arrived at 11 am and made EVERYONE stop their services and forced them out. The shop was padlocked. All clients were left standing in the parking lot with half done heads...wet or otherwise. Those with chemical services had to get finished on the parking lot.

Nope. True story.

My fav stylist left a really nice salon for a quasi-ghetto one. Little did she know that the woman hadn't been paying the rent on the salon. Got there at 7 am and started heads. The sheriff's department arrived at 11 am and made EVERYONE stop their services and forced them out. The shop was padlocked. All clients were left standing in the parking lot with half done heads...wet or otherwise. Those with chemical services had to get finished on the parking lot.

:nono::nono::nono:That is absolutely horrific!!!:nono::nono::nono:

"no kids in salons" is one of the many reasons why I don't go.
eta: oh, and I ate at salons all the time! McDonald's was usually my meal of choice.

But, yeah, I'm plenty comfy in my house under my dryer where my kid can run around, I can smack on some food, talk on the phone, etc...and I don't have to tip myself.

Last edited:
When I was young I use to have the typical salon appointment. You know - getting there at 9am and not leaving until 5 or 6pm.

Yea - not anymore. I showed up 30 minutes early for my last touch up and my stylist was ready. She had shown up 30 minutes early to prepare for me.

Thanks to LHCF these days I cant take the nonsense and don't think twice about walking out of an appointment. I think its because I only go for touch-ups and I know no matter how bad my hair is - in a pinch I can wash and flat iron my hair to make it look good for an event.

Sorry can't hear your requests over the sheer ABSURDITY of these requests:perplexed

I stopped going to my stylist in April- Mind you my hair was Flyy and the ish... But she had this ATTITUDE. OMG can't take that, i'll arrive at the shop on time and she's off getting her mom or nephew... Not to mention she was so effin slow. It took awhile but I knew that there was no way to maintain that cut ect. So I buzzed it off...and you know what I'm so happy...Last night driving by Black salons ect seeing rows of chicks getting pressed ect. and I kind of felt sorry for them... Glad that stage of my life is over... Ill go maybe for a press on my one year napppiversary but as it was said I'm so glad of the knowledge i've gained from here... that lets me know I dont have to depend on this BS... :yep:

As for cutting off more hair than is requested that is the easiest thing to accomplish. Just show the client what you are cutting so that they can approve/disapprove.

If the stylist KNOWINGLY and MALICIOUSLY does a deep cut when the client asked for a trim then some consequence other than just not going back is in order IMO.
Yeah and what about when they rip through your hair with a small tooth comb like you've done something wrong. :nono: I've had stylists do this after getting off the phone with someone.

I think the list is fair enough. It goes both ways...I have seen unprofessional stylists and I have seen uncouth customers.

For unprofessional stylists:
- Chewing, popping and SMACKING chewing gum like its going out of style.
- Answering their cell phone for EVERYTHING possible.
- Won't take walk-ins but scheduling appointments for 9 am and finishing THAT head at 5 PM. :nono:
- Getting into screaming matches with your spouse, SO or mate while working on a client.
- Not paying the rent so that YOU and your customers get set out on the parking lot at 11 am, wet heads and all.

Uncouth customers:
- Rifling through a stylist's station to find combs, brushes, etc to use on your rat trap hair.
- Dipping your fingers into products without asking.
- Walking in late and insisting that you get serviced cuz you are "in a hurry."

Its not always the ghetto shops either that you find stuff like this.

Good grief :nono: . So messed up.

"no kids in salons" is one of the many reasons why I don't go.
eta: oh, and I ate at salons all the time! McDonald's was usually my meal of choice.

But, yeah, I'm plenty comfy in my house under my dryer where my kid can run around, I can smack on some food, talk on the phone, etc...and I don't have to tip myself.

Amen sista :afro:

I guess both parties have complaints :ohwell:

Please, don't get the impression that I work in a high end salon. I don't I wouldn't fit in with those people. But I by no means work at a Clip Joint. Just a little humble salon. If these offend you....then you're the offender.

1. Don't bring your four year old in and ask them which "style" they want, you know they'll change their minds when the cut is done, and now the stylist has a SCREAMING child in her chair.

2. If your stylist or salon coordinator calls to remind you of your appointment, please, extend them the same courtesy, and call when you are going to be late or have to cancel. It's hard to fit someone into that 1hr+. slot last minute.

3. We love you, and we love your children, but we also love our other clients as well, if you have an unruly child, get a babysitter, your roots aren't worth ruining everyone elses relaxing experience, or find a family friendly salon.

4. Keep your head still!!! Stop moving. You'll make your stylist cut their finger for the 1,000th time! Would you like some complimentary "red" color for your hair?

5. If your stylist is courteous enough to put her cell on silent and place it in their drawer......you do the same. Especially at the shampoo bowl, you'd be pretty upset if we soaked your $300 phone.

6. When you call to make and appointment and find that we are booked solid, don't ever say these arrogant words," She/He knows me. She/He WILL fit me in." Consider our other clients, that booked in advance to have our undivided attention, don't take from their time.

7. A Bar Mitzvah is NOT an emergency. A funneral (in which you feel bad enough and would rather not looks at "roots")...is

8. It's not "just a trim". We went to school and have dedicated our lives to this profession. It requires our time, knowledge, and skill, and that's not free.

9. We love our loyals, those that are good to us, we'll go the extra mile! (due to the economy, I haven't charged my loyals full price in two years)

10. Don't put your feet on our stations,umm ew, and you're not at homgr.

11. Tips 15%-20%.....and in cash please!!!

Keep in mind, you can not sue us for a bad hair cut, maybe for a chemical issue....but **** us off and we hold the power, literally, in our hands! Love Y'all!

FYI: Hair Stylist Pet Peeves (shampoo, lip, salons, best) - Fashion and Beauty -clothes, shoes, hair care, skin care, makeup, designers... - City-Data Forum

interesting lol..especially #11, I gotta pay $60-$70 for the style..and a 15% to 20% tip..nah..

The only one that's kinda dumb is moving making the stylist cut their own finger... I mean if they wouldn't move my head around it would all be good and who is really that uncordinated. If you're afraid of cutting your finger when you should be cutting my hair I don't care if I'm doing the douggie you need a new job.

None of these seem overly drastic...having used to work in the service industry, I have always tipped my stylist...

Those are all reasonable!

Mind you, these aren't for the hood salons where your beautician Shatawniqua is going to ask you to make a stop right quick before you come so you can bring her a beef patty and some coco bread and a pack of newports.

Those rules apply to a salon where it's an actual BUSINESS not BIDNISS. Just like the place I go to, no shenanigans :yep:

Wow, that sounds mad good right now:dinnertime: Sometimes I wish I didn't live in Mayberry.

I guess both parties have complaints :ohwell:

Please, don't get the impression that I work in a high end salon. I don't I wouldn't fit in with those people. But I by no means work at a Clip Joint. Just a little humble salon. If these offend you....then you're the offender.

1. Don't bring your four year old in and ask them which "style" they want, you know they'll change their minds when the cut is done, and now the stylist has a SCREAMING child in her chair.

2. If your stylist or salon coordinator calls to remind you of your appointment, please, extend them the same courtesy, and call when you are going to be late or have to cancel. It's hard to fit someone into that 1hr+. slot last minute.

3. We love you, and we love your children, but we also love our other clients as well, if you have an unruly child, get a babysitter, your roots aren't worth ruining everyone elses relaxing experience, or find a family friendly salon.

4. Keep your head still!!! Stop moving. You'll make your stylist cut their finger for the 1,000th time! Would you like some complimentary "red" color for your hair?

5. If your stylist is courteous enough to put her cell on silent and place it in their drawer......you do the same. Especially at the shampoo bowl, you'd be pretty upset if we soaked your $300 phone.

6. When you call to make and appointment and find that we are booked solid, don't ever say these arrogant words," She/He knows me. She/He WILL fit me in." Consider our other clients, that booked in advance to have our undivided attention, don't take from their time.

7. A Bar Mitzvah is NOT an emergency. A funneral (in which you feel bad enough and would rather not looks at "roots")...is

8. It's not "just a trim". We went to school and have dedicated our lives to this profession. It requires our time, knowledge, and skill, and that's not free.

9. We love our loyals, those that are good to us, we'll go the extra mile! (due to the economy, I haven't charged my loyals full price in two years)

10. Don't put your feet on our stations,umm ew, and you're not at home.

11. Tips 15%-20%.....and in cash please!!!

Keep in mind, you can not sue us for a bad hair cut, maybe for a chemical issue....but **** us off and we hold the power, literally, in our hands! Love Y'all!

FYI: Hair Stylist Pet Peeves (shampoo, lip, salons, best) - Fashion and Beauty -clothes, shoes, hair care, skin care, makeup, designers... - City-Data Forum

I was OK with her peeves until the bolded... Especially the red bolded. That would be enough for me to never step foot in that shop again. That a stylist would even think to post something like that would never allow me to give that "power" to that type of individual!

none of these really sound salon specific, just basic common courtesy for being in any public place that is rendering you a service...

None of these seem overly drastic...having used to work in the service industry, I have always tipped my stylist...
Yeah, me too. I tipped (cause I haven't been in years now) if the stylist payed booth rent. If they were the owner a gift around the holidays is sufficient. I def am a tipper.:yep:

Back