What Are You Paying?

The only 2 salons I visit sparingly don't cost much.

At 1st salon: shampoo deep condition blowndry and flat iron $25 not including tip.

2nd salon which I prefer but kind of far: shampoo, deep condition, blow dry flat iron and trim $60 not including tip.

I tip according to how satisfied I am with my hair. Never under $10.

DevaCut and style by a senior stylist is $120 + 15% tip is about $140.

This doesn't come close to what I shelled out as a product junky, and unless I experience damage or decide I need a new 'do or color, I only need to go once a year.

Dominican salon is $30 for wash/dc/blow-dry and flat iron. I think a trim is an additional $5 or $10. Not sure as I never let them trim my hair.

Regular salon is $70 for wash/dc/blow-dry/trim and flat iron.

The Las time I went to the salon was about 20 years ago. I told her all I wanted was a trim and my hair was already clean from the night before. She said she still had to wash and condition my hair...shop rules. I ended up paying $46 bucks when all I wanted was a trim... After that I discovered Great Clips and I've never looked back.

My last salon visit was in 2007. I paid $110 to wash, dc blow dry, trim & press my hair. It's $126.50 with the tip added.

Last September I was quoted $180 for the same service at a different salon

Last edited:
Dominican salon

Roller set & blow out: $15
Color: $25... Bring my own color
French braid in two: $20
Updo with high bun: $20
Trim: $5

About 2 year ago I got a half head of highlights at Vidal Sasson and it was $163. That included the color, a deep conditioning treatment, and blow dry. I declined the extra charge for the flat iron.

Last year in March I got my hair cut in a mid neck length bob and it was $95.00.

Btw I'm natural.

I only go to the salon for relaxers; it's a Dominican Stylist/Salon I trust

$55 for relaxer, DC, roller set, trim

The only 2 salons I visit sparingly don't cost much.

At 1st salon: shampoo deep condition blowndry and flat iron $25 not including tip.

2nd salon which I prefer but kind of far: shampoo, deep condition, blow dry flat iron and trim $60 not including tip.

I tip according to how satisfied I am with my hair. Never under $10.

@KammyGirl
Where are you getting a blowout for $25? That is the lowest price I've seen in NYC.

Blowout a few months ago was $55-$57? plus tip.
Blowouts last year in Brooklyn, $65 & $70 + tip.
Blowout in Manhattan last year $83.60 + tip
Curly style (wash & go) $68 + tip
Extensions (crochet braids) $55 + tip; $25 to take down. I was paying $90 - $125

@KammyGirl
Where are you getting a blowout for $25? That is the lowest price I've seen in NYC.
A woman in Brooklyn. Her shop is called Sunflower Salon or something like that. She's someone I used to go to a long time ago when I was relaxed but she always wanted me to come every 2 weeks so I stopped going. My hair is short so maybe that's why she charges me like that? But I saw another girl with bra strap hair get blown out and curled and she charged her the same.

A woman in Brooklyn. Her shop is called Sunflower Salon or something like that. She's someone I used to go to a long time ago when I was relaxed but she always wanted me to come every 2 weeks so I stopped going. My hair is short so maybe that's why she charges me like that? But I saw another girl with bra strap hair get blown out and curled and she charged her the same.

That is an amazing price for a blowout on long hair with deep conditioning!

That is an amazing price for a blowout on long hair with deep conditioning!
Yeah but she's a one trick pony and doesn't clean her instruments. I always have to wipe her stuff down when she gets to me. She's an 'in a pinch' stylist. Plus you have to almost tell her off to keep her from getting scissor happy. Lol

Used to pay $85 to $115 for a Devacut in NYC. Got tired of traveling and finally found a great local place that does my natural cut for $55. Love it!

That's a huge savings! A friend uses Devachan and paid well over $200 a few weeks ago. She mentioned it when asking me about prices I pay for styling.
She's used them for a while but is looking for better pricing. Jersey is a bit far out but I will mention it anyway.

@PatTodd Any specific stylist you use for $55?
She has bra strap length hair when straight. Do they cut curly like Devachan, or blow out and cut?

That's a huge savings! A friend uses Devachan and paid well over $200 a few weeks ago. She mentioned it when asking me about prices I pay for styling.
She's used them for a while but is looking for better pricing. Jersey is a bit far out but I will mention it anyway.

@PatTodd Any specific stylist you use for $55?
She has bra strap length hair when straight. Do they cut curly like Devachan, or blow out and cut?
The salon is in central NJ, probably about an hour from NYC?

The stylist I see is Jillian. She has blown out my hair to cut it, cut my hair curly (my preference) - and she has also gently combed out my curls (QUITE a feat!! No breakage) and cut my hair dry that way. The one thing I will not allow her (or anyone) to do is to cut my hair wet and curly.

She also has a better sense of style than at Devachan. I could not get them to understand what I meant by a tapered cut.

The salon is in central NJ, probably about an hour from NYC?

The stylist I see is Jillian. She has blown out my hair to cut it, cut my hair curly (my preference) - and she has also gently combed out my curls (QUITE a feat!! No breakage) and cut my hair dry that way. The one thing I will not allow her (or anyone) to do is to cut my hair wet and curly.

She also has a better sense of style than at Devachan. I could not get them to understand what I meant by a tapered cut.

Thanks! I will definitely pass this info along.

Back