Weave It Up Challenge 2010

Im In....Ladies can I use Megatek with a sew in?

Are you weaving it up for 6 or 12 months?
6 months

Regimen:
Moisturize
Deep conditioner

Products you are using for your own hair and for your weave:
Joico :grin:
Biosilk
BT

End of challenge goal:
APL

Post a starting length picture:
PictureorVideo1680-1-1-1.jpg

Im in :grin:
6 months...for now

Regimen:
Conditioner wash every week.Wash once a month using diluted shampoo. I will leave weave in anywhere from 4week to 2 months

Silicone Mix or any conditioner that I have and Sulfer 8 braid spray.

End of challenge goal:
Full BSL

Starting Pic in siggy

6 months, may continue with 12 months.. im going to do braids

Regimen: wash 2x a month with diluted shampoo

Products you are using for your own hair and for your weave: anything i can come across... for my own hair the shampoo/cond will be diluted..heat protectant, & for the weave the cheapest shampoo/cond in my stash...

End of challenge goal: BSL 2010!!!!

i have to look for a better pic, but this is my last self press.. side view.
hair044-vi.jpg
:grin:

HEY LADIES JUST CHECKING IN.. I HAVE BEEN PREPING MY HAIR FOR THIS CHALLENGE.. GETTING INTO A ROUTINE.. TRYING TO GET RID OF AS MUCH SPLIT ENDS AND DRYNESS.. I WILL ROCK A NET UNDER MY SEW IN.. I AM SCHEDULED FOR A SEW IN RIGHT B4 OR AFTER CHRISTMAS FOR THE NEW YEAR..

Good Morning, I'm just checking in... how y'all doing????
I'm still weaved up, just watching the ticker till it's time to take my install down.. It's been in since October & I'm ready to see MY LENGTH.........

Hi ladies....newbie checking in. Please don't think I'm a weirdo...I've been "lurking" since 3/2008 and finally subscribed to join this challenge. Strange I know. In any event....I'M SO EXCITED! :yawn:

Are you weaving it up for 6 or 12 months? 6 months

Regimen:

Wash/DC/roller set once a week
Moisturize 2 - 3x a week

I will be using the products that come with the Maxiglide until that's gone. After that, I'll use Keracare Hydrating shampoo (trying to use it up) or Burt's Bees shampoo and ORS Replenishing Conditioner to DC. I will also be using Bee Mine Growth Serum 3x a week and Black Vanilla Leave-In spray to moisturize.

I MAY also check out Dudley's products since I'll be there for school starting in January anway.

End of challenge goal:

Healthy/full APL

Post a starting length picture

The picture is from the summer, but it is the most recent shot I have. It's pretty accurate since I've been keeping my hair about that length during my transition (last relaxer 12/12/08).

Attachments

• DSCN1402.jpg
    DSCN1402.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 11
Im in! I was thinking about doing this anyway :)

Im going to start with six months and see how it goes

Regimen:
Moisturize every three days
Wash every two weeks
Deep condition every two weeks
Protein once a month

Yes to cucumbers products
Aphogee three minute
Olive oil

Leave out hair:
Giovanni Direct Leave in
Aphogee green tea reconstructor
Chi silk infusion

End of challenge goal:
BSL (by December 2010)

Attached below. This is from Oct but its the last time I had my hair professionally straightened. Since then Ive been taking time to dust a lot so im at about the same length

Attachments

• 10-02-09.jpg
    10-02-09.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
So im loving my current install that I just put in last week, its grazing waistlength with a part in the middle. Its tooo cute. Sorry I have no pics as of yet my iphone is broke so I cant take pics booo. Anyways, after having this install I have officially changed my goal length from MBL to WL(at least grazing WL). I gotta do it.

I'm really feeling my sew-in... it looks very natural to me... I just wish it were longer! I'll post pics of my sew-in soon. I need to moisturize my hair. I haven't done it since my install (Monday) and that's bad!!!

ETA: the hair is just layered APL!!! I wish it were layered BSL!!!

So im loving my current install that I just put in last week, its grazing waistlength with a part in the middle. Its tooo cute. Sorry I have no pics as of yet my iphone is broke so I cant take pics booo. Anyways, after having this install I have officially changed my goal length from MBL to WL(at least grazing WL). I gotta do it.

I think MBL- WL is a great length to have.

:wallbash:I am still waiting for my hair to arrive from hairsister.com so I can get started. UHHH!:wallbash:

I hope it arrives soon. :yep:

Hi ladies....newbie checking in. Please don't think I'm a weirdo...I've been "lurking" since 3/2008 and finally subscribed to join this challenge. Strange I know. In any event....I'M SO EXCITED! :yawn:

The picture is from the summer, but it is the most recent shot I have. It's pretty accurate since I've been keeping my hair about that length during my transition (last relaxer 12/12/08).

I'm glad the challenge brought you out of lurkdom! :grin: You're starting with a great length.

I'm really feeling my sew-in... it looks very natural to me... I just wish it were longer! I'll post pics of my sew-in soon. I need to moisturize my hair. I haven't done it since my install (Monday) and that's bad!!!

ETA: the hair is just layered APL!!! I wish it were layered BSL!!!

I hate when that happens.

Last edited:
I’m down….and nervous. I haven’t had a weave in about 10 years and I feel like a virgin again. Sadly, I never washed them when I wore them back in the day….. :perplexed Trust I NOW know that’s nasty. :nono: Back then my friends and I thought dirt grew hair…. :spinning: Lord help me. With that being said I’m going to need all the help you ladies can give. :yep:

Are you weaving it up for 6 or 12 months? 6 months

Regimen: Wash and deep cond once a week. Oil my scalp every other day. Moisturize 3 times a week.

As much as I read and know about hair, I’m still a salon girl so I mostly like will go to the salon once a month for a wash, protein treat and tighten. When not in the salon I plan to wash at home….. hence the nerves.

Natural Hair: Thinking about washing w/ diluted Trader Joe’s poo and deep cond w/ AO White Camellia. Dying to try some MoeGrow oil for the scalp. Mix aloe vera juice w/ some type of cond maybe Trader Joe’s con or Jane Carter’s leave-in for a moisturizer.

Weave: Honesty, NO CLUE. Thinking about Joico.

Opinions and suggestions are more than welcomed w/ the product choices.

End of challenge goal: My goal is to transition in peace, keep my hands out my head and retain length by reducing breakage. :yep:

Attachments

• IMG_4313.jpg
    IMG_4313.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4312.JPG
    IMG_4312.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
um...so guess who's definitely gonna know how to do her own weaves flawlessly by the time this challenge ends?? :grin:
ME!!
after detangling through the Model Model wet and wavy that i have in right now (please don't ever purchase this brand, it basically formed dreadlocks after i went swimming last week), it looked REALLY thin. so i took the extra hair that the stylist had left over after doing my install, and sewed it right in. super easy!! i can definitely do this-now i'll be able to only wear my sew-ins for the ideal (for my hair, at least) 4 weeks, since i'll be doing them myself. :yep:

I am all in for this challenging!

I'm currently transitioning so this is just perfect timing.
...so here we go

12 months - but may split this to 6 months in a weave and 6 months in braids. Each style will be kept in for about 2 months.

Regimen:
Moisturize every week
Shampoo once every 2-3 weeks with diluted shampoo
Shampoo and dc after each removal. Will let hair rest for 3 weeks in between installs
Protective style in between installs (twist outs, braid outs, bantu knots, buns)

Whilst in a weave
Elasta QP Creme Conditioning Shampoo
Aussie Leave-In Conditioner
Infusium 23
African Royal Braid Spray
Essential Oils
Tee tree oil

Removal of install
Elasta QP Creme Conditioning Shampoo
Elasta QP DPR-11 and/or Aussie Moist conditioners for dc
Aphogee 2 minute keratin Reconstructor
ORS Olive Oil lotion
Jojoba Oil and Keracare Essential Oils
Mango butter for edges and new growth

End of challenge goal:
APL...or at least retain the 6 inches of growth I am aiming to achieve

Will come in Jan!

I see some ladies will be using African Royal Braid Spray.... hmmm I think I'm gonna have to pick that up.

Also, suggestion on BSS hair. I'm thinking about buying Saga yaky hair. I haven't seen bad reviews but I haven't seen raving reviews either. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
I want to sign up for the Weave it up in 2010 challenge. I am excited its my first challenge that I am genuinely make an effort to keep. I am currently natural and I am looking at styles that I can use for completely full sew-ins with no hair out. But it seems like the only options that I can really do are bangs?? Could you ladies please post examples of full sew-in styles (with no hair out) that don't look too wiggy and that are not just blunt bangs. Or show ways I can jazz up bangs without my sides and edges all showing. After awhile banging it up gets boring! And I really want to use this challenge to extend my weaves to three months instead of two. Thank you in advance.

Sorry OP, I dont mean to hijack the thread...just wanted some weaving ideas before I commit to the challenge....

I see some ladies will be using African Royal Braid Spray.... hmmm I think I'm gonna have to pick that up.

Also, suggestion on BBS hair. I'm thinking about buying Saga yaky hair. I haven't seen bad reviews but I haven't seen raving reviews either. Any thoughts?

Hey BreakageInAtlanta I have the Remi Goddess hair in at the moment and I love it. Have had it in for about 5 weeks and I have washed it every single week. In fact this hair looks better after washing when it feels more weightless. I think you could probably use it twice (i.e. 6 - 8 weeks each time) if you took care of it. I am taking it out tonight to wash/ deep condition my own hair and then re-install at the end of the week for Christmas and new year (about 2 - 3 weeks only - I will then take a 2 week break to install again by 15 Jan for this challenge).

Anyway back to the hair: This hair lasts well if you look after it. So choose a non sulfate poo such as CON and a No cone conditioner. I think Patene would prob be ok.

I am thinking next time of trying the Halleys curls as I am looking for something I can use for 6 months as I have worked out this costs the same as using the Remi Goddess for 3 months.

Okay so I am trying to decide between the lace closure and the silk closure? Do any of you ladies have an opinion on which would be better?

I wish I could do my own weave. I can't cornrow to save my life. :nono:

honey, get on youtube-there are so many tutorials on there. :yep:
i just looked through your fotki (your hair is gorgeous, by the way, and we're probably hair family :grin:).
what was the brand of the curly weave that you had during months 11 and 12 of your transition?? it was during april/may 2008.
it looked sooooo good.
if it's something in my price range, i'll be all over it!! :grin:

Back