Weave It Up Challenge 2010

Just taken my sew in out. I had a lot of shedding and I cute a section of my hair by accident bc I was too proud and embarassed to get DH to help me take it out. He took pity on me and helped me take out the rest.:wallbash:

Also I have found with takedowns that the comb you use to de-tangle is super impt. I think I have now found a comb which is far gentler.

Anyway I am going to slather my scalp with my oil mix to pre-poo and then DC tomorrow....

My hair at the roots is very thick due to the transitioning change in textures... I had no heavy tangling or matting and I have washed once every week for the last 7 weeks sometimes even twice a week. I do think though that 6/7 weeks appears to be the limit for me. I could probably push it a bit longer but I don't actually think that helps in the end....

ETA: I left out probably the most impt information of all..... :rolleyes:

I was neck length/ grazing shoulder length just before this challenge started and now I am much closer to shoulder length (if not there) now. I will DC and press tomorrow and post pics so you ladies can judge and tell me for yourself what you think????

Last edited:
I have another question (for all of you)

In your braided pattern, do you include synthetic hair? If so why? If not why?

For the last 6 months, I haven't included synthetic hair in my braid pattern it make it look very bulky. My hair doesen't seemed harmed about it, but If I should be doing it, I wanna know. :ohwell:

Hi AdoreMK.

My stylist always uses synthetic hair in the braids and I think this is one the key reasons why I can wear my hair for several months and not have issues with matting.

The synthetic hair essentially reinforces your braids so that they last longer and can hold up better to combing, brushing and washing. I keep my installs for at least 12 weeks and have never had a problem with matting. When I take it down my braids are stiil intact - just a little fuzzy with a ton of new growth underneath them. My stylist told me recently that she has some clients that keep their installs for 4 to 5 months with no issues at takedown so I'm thinking of extending my current weave to 4 months instead of 3.

If your hair is bulky when you add synthetic hair then you are either using too much synthetic hair or making your braids too big in general. You need to make relatively small braids with just a little bit of synthetic hair in each one. HTH!

Hi AdoreMK.

My stylist always uses synthetic hair in the braids and I think this is one the key reasons why I can wear my hair for several months and not have issues with matting.

The synthetic hair essentially reinforces your braids so that they last longer and can hold up better to combing, brushing and washing. I keep my installs for at least 12 weeks and have never had a problem with matting. When I take it down my braids are stiil intact - just a little fuzzy with a ton of new growth underneath them. My stylist told me recently that she has some clients that keep their installs for 4 to 5 months with no issues at takedown so I'm thinking of extending my current weave to 4 months instead of 3.

If your hair is bulky when you add synthetic hair then you are either using too much synthetic hair or making your braids too big in general. You need to make relatively small braids with just a little bit of synthetic hair in each one. HTH!

This post was really helpful!

One question - when you leave your weave in for so long, doesn't it move back?

My install always seems to move back on my head as my hair grows and that is primarily why I take it out usually after 8 weeks. I would love to be able to keep it in longer though.

Hi AdoreMK.

Yup thats exactly how my stylist does it as well. The only ladies I saw getting only their own hair braided were the ones who were about to get a quick weave ( that includes a net over their hair). I do believe that the synthetic hair being braided into your cornbraids will help your hair stay in place longer. My stylist told me to keep my weave in for at least 2 months but I think I am going to stretch this out to at least 3. Especially since I plan on going back to her every 3 weeks for a wash and retightening with a style.

This post was really helpful!

One question - when you leave your weave in for so long, doesn't it move back?

My install always seems to move back on my head as my hair grows and that is primarily why I take it out usually after 8 weeks. I would love to be able to keep it in longer though.

Thanks! Hmm - I'm not sure what you mean about the moving back thing. I normally get a middle or side part so maybe that makes a difference. It does get looser definitely. I guess it moves down if anything - away from my leave out - lol. Sometimes it does get loose to the point that I have difficulty covering the top track. When this happens I just add another track to the top and its fine.

Has anyone ever used the Goddess Remi Deep Weaving hair (pic below):

There is also another picture example at the link below.........

http://www.pakcosmetics.com/upload/SENREMIDEEPWAVEWVGs.jpg

I am maybe thinking of using it for my next install... The Yaki hair seems to have performed well so thought this might be a good choice.

All feedback greatly appreciated ladies !

I think Glamazon used to wear this hair. You could send her a pm to see how it held up. It is very pretty.

Thanks!
That is exactly what I meant. The install moves down and I never know what to do so I take it down.

Thanks for the tip about adding another track!

Thanks! Hmm - I'm not sure what you mean about the moving back thing. I normally get a middle or side part so maybe that makes a difference. It does get looser definitely. I guess it moves down if anything - away from my leave out - lol. Sometimes it does get loose to the point that I have difficulty covering the top track. When this happens I just add another track to the top and its fine.

Ok I have a dumb weave question. What are you all putting on the actual weave...such as moisturizers/hair sprays or glossers. Or are we not supposed to put anything on it and just focus on the hair beneath?

Thanks!
That is exactly what I meant. The install moves down and I never know what to do so I take it down.

Thanks for the tip about adding another track!

:grin: You're welcome!

Ok I have a dumb weave question. What are you all putting on the actual weave...such as moisturizers/hair sprays or glossers. Or are we not supposed to put anything on it and just focus on the hair beneath?

This honestly depends on the hair. If you are using high quality hair then you don't really need to put anything on it. Some curly hair needs some product like a curl gel or conditioner to encourage the curl or reduce frizzies. You can use a light serum on straight hair to reduce flyaways. Sometimes if your hair is tangling then you may need something to try and combat this. Personally I don't like anything oily or greasy on my weave but some people might use oil.

What type of hair are you using and are you having any issues with it?

I came in to ask this exact question! My install feels heavy and oily. Even if I wash it or not it dont "blow in the wind" anymore lol Just feels dry.

:grin: You're welcome!

This honestly depends on the hair. If you are using high quality hair then you don't really need to put anything on it. Some curly hair needs some product like a curl gel or conditioner to encourage the curl or reduce frizzies. You can use a light serum on straight hair to reduce flyaways. Sometimes if your hair is tangling then you may need something to try and combat this. Personally I don't like anything oily or greasy on my weave but some people might use oil.

What type of hair are you using and are you having any issues with it?

I am using Wagmans I believe. My stylist told me that this hair is better than the ones at the BSS so I bought it. I am not having any issues I just wondered if there is something I am supposed to be adding to it. My stylist told me no but you know I always have to check with the guru's on LHCF just to make sure.

I came in to ask this exact question! My install feels heavy and oily. Even if I wash it or not it dont "blow in the wind" anymore lol Just feels dry.

mine felt like that, i just clarified and deep conditioned it and it was fine afterward. I use coconut oil or silicon mix leave in as my moisturizer

I don't use anything on my hair anymore.
I am now using Goddess Remy Natural Yaki.
I wash my hair with diluted Dr. Bronner's soap.
Then I condition with CON Moisure Extreme Conditioner (from the Professional line).
I leave that on for about 5 minutes and rinse.
I have been doing this for weeks and my hair feels like butter. No tangles, no NOTHING!

I don't use anything on my hair anymore.
I am now using Goddess Remy Natural Yaki.
I wash my hair with diluted Dr. Bronner's soap.
Then I condition with CON Moisure Extreme Conditioner (from the Professional line).
I leave that on for about 5 minutes and rinse.
I have been doing this for weeks and my hair feels like butter. No tangles, no NOTHING!

Glad you like the hair Demi, it is so low maintenance :yep:

Love it.

I think I might take a break from the installs until the end of Feb to co-wash and DC my hair for a few weeks.

mine felt like that, i just clarified and deep conditioned it and it was fine afterward. I use coconut oil or silicon mix leave in as my moisturizer

what did u use to clarify & d/c? & do u air dry or blow dry?

I was thinking about trying the baking soda method and using ORS replen. cond to d/c.

diva update.. second installment.. this one will be in longer..
install on feb 1st enjoy.. i think im the only one that faithfully updates..lol :rolleyes:

g2.jpg

g3.jpg

gg4.jpg

gg.jpg

I am using Wagmans I believe. My stylist told me that this hair is better than the ones at the BSS so I bought it. I am not having any issues I just wondered if there is something I am supposed to be adding to it. My stylist told me no but you know I always have to check with the guru's on LHCF just to make sure.

If it looks good with nothing in it then I wouldn't put anything on it.

what did u use to clarify & d/c? & do u air dry or blow dry?

I was thinking about trying the baking soda method and using ORS replen. cond to d/c.

I use joico chelating shampoo, I also use ion clarifying shampoo sometimes. Both are pretty good. Yes, I air dry, I have not blow dried any of my extension yet. most extensions require little to no product, so most often u don't have to clarify a lot. I clarified mine b/c i went overboard with my DC and it weighed the hair down.

I wash my weave with ORS creamy aloe..rinse.. follow with any diluted shampoo that I am trying to use up.. rinse

Condition with whatever cheapie conditioner I have on hand.. (leave it in for the duration of my shower then rinse)

Leave in 1 pump of PM Super skinny relaxing balm + dime sized amount of a serum (either chi silk infusion or IC Olive oil serum) + 1 pump of keracare foam.

Blow dry, flat iron

..The weave is not weighed down..very light and flowy..

I am still in my first install for the challenge.. using Goddess remy straight hair

Oh where are the pics gurl? cant be holding out on me...:lachen:

LOL! I was hoping no one asked. I didn't take pics. But I will. It's so long...at least to me. Past my bra strap. I had to get 12" because they didn't have 10". I'm debating on going to get it cut in layers. But I want to reuse it. Plus I don't want to mess up the length when/if I wear it curly.

Hey I took my install down over the weekend ...I washed my hair and bought some new shampoo Nexxus Ulta Moisturizing, HATE IT HATE IT! worse 20.00 bucks I spent, hair got tangled It took me 6 hours to get the nots out, Im going to get another install next weekend hopefully

LOL! I was hoping no one asked. I didn't take pics. But I will. It's so long...at least to me. Past my bra strap. I had to get 12" because they didn't have 10". I'm debating on going to get it cut in layers. But I want to reuse it. Plus I don't want to mess up the length when/if I wear it curly.

Yea I totally understand bcos I have 14'' in right now...I wanted to cut it too but dont wanna mess it up cos I plan on reusing this hair...poor thing caught on fire 3 weeks ago but that's another story:nono:...looking forward to your pictures:grin:

You KNOW we're nosy! I'm waiting for my second install with this hair before I cut the length too. I can't bear to do it now knowing how much it cost.

I took my install out almost two weeks ago. I have been wearing half wigs in the mean time. Right now I'm plotting my next style and hair choice. dilemmas! :-)

Back