Weave and Confidence

Aviah

We know there are many people that don't feel confident without weave.
But I'm the opposite, I tend to feel more self conscious WITH weave. Always wondering if there's a track showing, if its "laying right", needs to be combed, conscious if the wind is blowing too hard. Ugh.

I want to like weave, I even have some I bought recently but I hate being so conscious. More than when my real hair is a mess!

Anyone feel me? How do you cope with it? I need to PS this winter!

:yep: yep me too, I feel so nervous about it and for all the reasons listed above. So much so that I rarely wear them.

I wish I could rock a weave too, but it feels like I"d look like everyone else here in So. Cal. "runner up to NY, the queen of the weave capital of America"

I felt the same way when I wore sew ins in college. During the winter I would wear cute hats so I don't have to worry about the part or how "wiggy" my closure looked.

I felt the same way when I wore sew ins in college. During the winter I would wear cute hats so I don't have to worry about the part or how "wiggy" my closure looked.

lol! I was just thinking of doing the same! I hate full head sew ins for this reason, but like the low maintenance. I want an invisible part but those will make me all kinds of paranoid! Especially if it looks 0.121 inches too wide

I wish I could rock a weave too, but it feels like I"d look like everyone else here in So. Cal. "runner up to NY, the queen of the weave capital of America"

I feel like everyone else too but I guess unlike many people in London my weave would be done properly and not left to grow weeds LOL! Plus its just ameans of PSing for now.

Last edited:
I used to wear weave/tracks through College and during University when I discovered LHCF I moved to wigs (lacefronts/half wigs). My relaxed hair never did very well with it all, it would grow but- I'd either mess up my hairline, my crown or heat damage my leave out. Now my hair is longer I've been just wearing buns, up-dos etc but I really do miss the glamour of the big hair..

I'm grateful for those expressing they feel the same way, but does anyone have some kind of solution?

I'm grateful for those expressing they feel the same way, but does anyone have some kind of solution?

i don't really wear weaves anymore so its hard to say from experience but i think it would help to take baby steps. so when you install the weave, wear a beanie for a couple of days then go a few days without the beanie. hopefully, that should give you enough time to get comfortable with having the tracks in

Last edited:
i don't really wear weaves anymore so its hard to say from experience but i think it would help to take baby steps. so when you install the weave, wear a beanie for a couple of days then go a few days without the beanie. hopefully, that should give you enough time to get comfortable with having the tracks in

I hear that. Which is what I was thinking. I may need to join a weave challenge to break me in. I can't keep buying weave, ripping it out and throwing it away. I need to stick to either liking it or hating it because the in between is expensive with no real rewards...

Wish me luck, I am planning to take out these sengalese twists next weekend and do an install (full head I guess)

Pick a texture that's closest to yours. For me that's tight kinky curly, or kinky straight. Also if you pick short to mid-length weave over long most people won't wonder whether it's yours or not.

Yeah, I just got a full head weave and I'm in the mirror eveeery free second I have, seeing if it looks fake or not.

Or if I see any tracks, but I do love the PStyling I'm getting.

Also my male relatives are super nosy and have a hate affair with weaves. So I don't look forward to seeing them.

I'm exactly the same way. It's funny because... Before LHCF I used to be one of those women that felt that they NEEDED a weave to step outside of the door...I still use weaves as my main PS style, but I have truly grown to hate them the longer my hair as gotten. I feel so much more myself when I am wearing my own hair. I feel so much more confident.

Pick a texture that's closest to yours. For me that's tight kinky curly, or kinky straight. Also if you pick short to mid-length weave over long most people won't wonder whether it's yours or not.

I agree with this post. OP I felt exactly how you felt, then I got my weaves with kinky straight short to mid length and I don't feel as self-consious(sp). NOTHING beats wearing your own hair, but in order to keep my hair protected I choose to wear weaves time to time in order to get closer to my goal. I also choose to wear a weave that I feel MOST comfortable in.

Im with you OP. I just cut out my sew in. Even when I was sure it was brushed/styled properly I just felt like the girl with the bad weave.

Yup. I feel the same way with weaves/wigs. I'm part of the wig challenge, bought wigs and haven't worn not a one!

If I can find someone who can do my weave to look more "natural" I would wear one.

Funny this thread is here I just got my first sew in ever two wks ago and feel like I look horrible even though everyone loves it. Its a kinky curly weave to match my texture and its not long. I will watch this thread for tips.

I didn't hesitate to jump straight into quick weaves 7 years back but now that I am more hair health conscious I had to take baby steps back into weave. I started with a half wig, I didn't leave any out I would slick my hair back put on the half wig and then a head band to cover the edges of the wig. I do the same with lace fronts when I don't want to blend. I'm still not ready for sew-ins.

I think it also depends on your view of hair in general. I think of hair as decoration. So I'm not pressed if people know it's not real. They should know, it changes every 6 weeks!

I got a weave in November, full head, and I hated the cut/style BUT I wasn't self conscious because the hair was only to my shoulders and it was 3b/3c ONYC kinky curly hair... so pretty much everyone thought it was mine.

I'm currently in another full head where the curl is not as tight, but I'm not self conscious because she did such a good job. I think I'll always be checking for tracks and seeing if it lays right -- but I did that with my own hair too sooo whatev. Also, my bf loves it (which is a first) so I feel mighty beautiful right about now.

oh yea... it also helps when people know it's a weave. I think if I was trying to fool somebody I'd be hella self-conscious. but if I'm upfront about it (i work with kids and non-black folk) I just answer their questions day one, they shrug, say it's pretty and move on... as for the bf, we joke about my "horse hair" and I flip it and laugh. lol. no shame here. :)

Back