We need some REAL hair in here. There's just too many, too many, too many Weaves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well...it kind of does.
It sucks for them when they want to run their fingers through their SO's/wife's hair, and they can't, because they keep running into braids and glue and nets and string. Or the woman keeps on ducking and dodging.
Or when they want to go out to dinner or something, but the woman won't go because her weave isn't installed.
Or when they've been with someone for years, but have no idea what she looks like without her weave. I saw that once on the Tyra Banks Show, and the man was so sad that his wife never let him see her with no weave.

Women like to act like what they do with their appearances or whatever doesn't affect their partners, but truth be told, it does. There was a thread around here, where someone posted a picture of a man wearing a six year old's hair do. I can't find it, but like the front was flat twisted, and the back was all out and curly. And it looked so so wrong on this grown a$$ man. Most women would not let their men wear that style, because it looks a mess. Why people believe that it's any different for a man whose partner is wearing a tacky weave is beyond me.

And I'm not saying that weave wearing is wrong, or that all weaves look tacky. We're all free to do what we want with our hair.
But I am asking that we not fake the funk. Even though it's not on their heads, a man can still be affected by the weaves that their SO/wife wears.

ITA with everything. :yep:

as for 'fake hair' to be honest i seriously honestly don't understand why everyone cares!?!....

if its not your head or someone has not asked your opinion then seriously why are you so concerned what the next person does?... that's my stance.xx
For me I think it's not the fake hair per se (I have worn braid extensions myself in the past), but:

1) The pervasiveness of it.
2) The horrendous condition of the hair underneath or sticking out that *I saw*.
3) The fact that a lot of the weaves are ratty, stringy, obvious

I noticed and I wondered why it had gotten so bad. And I even included myself in my reflections.

Hmmm 90% .... so it's just newborn baby girls who aren't wearing weaves huh. Coz I've seen toddlers with weaves on. It's crazy out ere :lachen:
Nah, it's not so bad. I said 90% of women, not 90% of people of the female gender.

probably because of the assumption that white girls can grow their hair and we can't. even women on this board believe that white girls grow hair so much faster (when it's really all about genetics which vary by person and retention-white girls have a hair type that retains length VERY easily and our hair is fragile so i don't understand why even women on here think that they grow hair sooo much faster). so they assume that these women can grow their hair to that length or, at least, that it is their hair type anyway. for us, that isn't our hair type AT ALL (for the majority) and people of all races already think we can't grow our hair so i think that's why people make a big deal about it when we do it but not when white girls do it. oh yeah and the average white girl on the street doesn't rock a weave whereas i see so many black women in the street with one so it ends up looking like an "epidemic" in our community. that's all it is i think

Exactly.

I'm not trying to start a revolution, but I would love to see the 'myth' that Black women can't grow their hair long eradicated.

To those who wear weaves for PS - I wish you success, and that you reach your hair's dream length, so you can whip out that baby. Yeeeeeeeeeha!

Last edited:
Well i agree with lilsparkle, men don't usually know what the flip they want till this day some men think beyonce doesn't wear wigs!?!!

they half the time dont know when a women is wearing make up especially if your like me and swing between natural tones to nothing at all, men are not totally clued up as to what tricks women have in regards to beauty.

as for 'fake hair' to be honest i seriously honestly don't understand why everyone cares!?!....

if its not your head or someone has not asked your opinion then seriously why are you so concerned what the next person does?... that's my stance.

i have had my natural hair out long short, i have have different colors i have had a weave a wig braids etc. prob done most things possible with my hair, but i don't ever give out a judgment on my fellow sistah because i think there is too much swinging around anyways to bring a sistah down.

im sorry but songs like that are not necessary some girls genuinely have no idea how to look after their hair and have been taught that if they don't have some non black ethnicity in them they cant grow long hair? its sad...

but i say you do you, i get chicks rolling their eyes at me when my hair is natural and in a weave chicks will always be chicks and i get men paying me attention however my hair looks like, at the end of the day if a man wants to 'run his fingers through my hair' he can! if he doesn't wanna pass through a track then catch me on my leave out day then he can roam in nappy kinks and coils! lol

im just in the mind set that if it don't concern you then don't pass any negative judgment cuz i have met soo many women who wear weaves but have hair flowing down their backs, but just choose to wear weaves cuz like me, they want either longer lengths or cant be arsed to do their own hair everyday, but with a weave you can experiment whilst not mash up up your own hair!

nuff said!

xx

A voice of reason. Thank you.

Well...it kind of does.
It sucks for them when they want to run their fingers through their SO's/wife's hair, and they can't, because they keep running into braids and glue and nets and string. Or the woman keeps on ducking and dodging.
Or when they want to go out to dinner or something, but the woman won't go because her weave isn't installed.
Or when they've been with someone for years, but have no idea what she looks like without her weave. I saw that once on the Tyra Banks Show, and the man was so sad that his wife never let him see her with no weave.

Women like to act like what they do with their appearances or whatever doesn't affect their partners, but truth be told, it does. There was a thread around here, where someone posted a picture of a man wearing a six year old's hair do. I can't find it, but like the front was flat twisted, and the back was all out and curly. And it looked so so wrong on this grown a$$ man. Most women would not let their men wear that style, because it looks a mess. Why people believe that it's any different for a man whose partner is wearing a tacky weave is beyond me.

And I'm not saying that weave wearing is wrong, or that all weaves look tacky. We're all free to do what we want with our hair.
But I am asking that we not fake the funk. Even though it's not on their heads, a man can still be affected by the weaves that their SO/wife wears.

Very well said...I agree :drunk:

I've never worn weaves because I was just never comfortable with them but I think it's silly to even think that most weave wearers are wearing them as protective styles.:lachen: :lachen:

Honestly I dont care whether people think Im wearing a weave for protective styling or not "What other people think of me is none of my businesss". I wear weaves because I like them [SIZE="5[I]"](seems like youre worried about what others think that will just make you an unhappy and frustrated person). [/I]

I just wanted to add that caring or worrying about what others think of you does not equate with being unhappy or frustrated. I mean, I wouldn't just walk out my house looking crazy, nor would I send my children out in the world looking any kind of way.

I do care what people think about my hair even more now after a comment from a white women who told me to just go buy a wig or weave since "that's what all black girls do." She meant that in a really nice way, she just assumed that it's something we all did. So yes I'm bothered by it because I know that's how millions of people view the African American woman.

Having said that I could care less what is on someone else's head unless I'm in the mood for a good laugh.

I'll be happy when I have enough hair again to rock a darn weave.

Well they get fooled often because how would they know?? The world is full of natural look extensions and if it weren't people wouldn't sit here arguing every week about whether ______ (insert name of celeb here) is showing her "real hair". Now if women, especially hair board women who spend more time than average thinking about hair can't tell ... even fewer men outside the beauty industry would know.

I guess September is hate on a weave month (not angry at all - just sayin' :) ).

I don't hate weaves at all (like someone else said, if it's done right, it's done right and that's all that matters to me). just didn't agree with that statement. this is kind of off-topic so sorry guys but i just want to answer this as best as i can- (1) you can't compare celebs to the average woman because they have better resources and more access to hair of better quality (and when i say celebs, i'm talking about the big dogs) so they tend to fake it better.(2) in my experience, the average weave is pretty obvious. (3) in the cases that it isn't too obvious- the average black male, like any other person, tends to stereotype and make assumptions. as erroneous as their thinking may be, they do go through a thought process, because they are checking the woman out so everything about her goes under some type of scrutiny. you're right in saying how would they know. well they look at markers like skin tone mainly and go from there. let's be real here- a darker-skinned girl with long straight hair will go under wayy more scrutiny than a lighter-skinned girl with long straight hair unless she clearly looks mixed like amerie. you don't know how many times i've heard black guys say that they preferred light-skinned (i think they meant mixed) and hispanic girls because their hair is real. i remember some idiot rapper young berg said something like that too. unfortunately, guys are dumb as heck but they don't assume that it's yours just because it's on your head and i've never met a guy that was fooled by a weave unless the girl fit their idea of the stereotypical long-haired woman

^^^ that woman sounded very ignorant; I wouldn't rearrange any thing I do for an ignorant person. I had one white girl say something about Pulled pork and asked me if I wanted a sandwich, I said no thanks I don't eat pork. She goes all in a southern voice I though all Black people liked pork *she is italian. I said I guess you don't know many now do you, back in the voice and shook my head. She smiled and I gave her the Bytch please look she went off and I haven't seen her since.

IMO when you buy a weave.. it's like your saying ''Yeah, I DO want your hair and I'm buying it, where's my purse.. lemme buy this hair from a horse or human.'' Then the world looks at you and thinks ''another black female who doesn't like her hair.'' I know some do it for Protective styling. But nobody will look at your head and think, oh she's got hair growing under there. She's just Protective styling right now. I know some people will reply and say ''we don't care what other people think.'' But your actions reflect the rest of us BW. I hate always arguing with people, telling them our hair grows. We can do this, we can do that. Then they walk outside and see loads of black women with long hair but no hairline, instead a hairline design.

And if you wear elaborate makeup (read: not tacky) everyday they'll think "What's her skin look like under there? I bet she look like crap under there." And if you dress up everyday they'll think "Why she always dressing up? Who she trying to impress, waste her time on stupid stuff." And if you have long swinging relaxed hair they'll think "Look at this, her having long relaxed hair shows she's self-hating, look at this stuck up little witch, swinging her long hair like she special" And if you have a gorgeous natural puff they'll think "Why she looking like she belongs in 'Coming to America'?, why does she look like a 6yr old, why can't she do something with THAT"

The truth of the matter is people need to focus on THEM. I don't think people like Michelle Obama are walking around worrying about what women wearing weaves does to people's perception of them, and why? Because they're ABOVE IT. They focus on themselves, improve themselves, and no one ever compares Tanisha on the streets with no hairline to them.

I honestly do not care what me wearing a weave does to people's perceptions of black women and hair. Folks are always going to make assumptions and act like someone doing ANYTHING is somehow a crime against what blah-blah-blah should be. Furthermore those same folks aren't doing anything to actually help me or my people with our hair so why should I be working to please them? And as for men, shoo, SOME of them are no better. They want what's visually appealing and will flip on a dime under peer pressure, say one thing and do another. Rappers chanting "The blacker the berry, the sweeter the juice" but when you glance at their side their girlfriends are typically light-skinned. Chris Rock may have done a movie on good hair but I wonder how many times he furthered the stereotype and made a girl feel bad for not having the hair HE liked when he was young and dating.

I understand the desire, but seriously if your hair is growing then stop worrying about the poor hairline-less, they're doing just fine I'm sure.

eta: lol, all this and I don't even wear weaves anymore. None the less the message is the same. I don't think people should be looked down on for doing what works for them. Ain't like there's any 'how to care for Afro-textured hair' classes for people to register for. If you're not looking on the net then you're lost. We shouldn't judge folks for victims to a service we're SLOWLY re-vamping.

Last edited:
Men don't care if you have weave. They just want your hair to LOOK real. Just like men say they like women without makeup when in reality they mean they like women with natural LOOKING makeup. Men are simpletons, they like what we make them like!

@ Littleluxe I hope you read all of my message. I stated in the end I'm just playing devils advocate. IA with pretty much everything you said, I was just presenting another side to the argument.

And no I don't think about people with weaves lol.. I represent myself, not a race. I'm just interesting in diff thoughts and opinions regarding this matter and I like the answers so far.

Thanks for sharing.

I think it could be an intimacy as well. Not in terms of sex, but just being close with one another. I mean if guys want to be close to you, but can't even touch your hair that has to take something away right?

I've only worn a weave once and never again. That itch is annoying and you can't touch your hair. Wigs are more convenient. I will be wearing lace front wigs and have my hair in cornrows underneath for awhile till I'm APL as a protective style. Think I'll ditch wigs after that.

@ Littleluxe I hope you read all of my message. I stated in the end I'm just playing devils advocate. IA with pretty much everything you said, I was just presenting another side to the argument.

And no I don't think about people with weaves lol.. I represent myself, not a race. I'm just interesting in diff thoughts and opinions regarding this matter and I like the answers so far.

Thanks for sharing.

It's cool. Some of that response wasn't all you, lol. I responded more to the devil advocate because I'm sure there are people who really feel that way. Still I think at the end of the day best we can do is grow our hair and pass tips to anyone looking.

Lol, changing the perception one gorgeous head of hair at a time. That's what this whole Healthy Hair movement is about. :)

eta: christ, what is with my spelling lately.

It's cool. Some of that response wasn't all you, lol. I responded more to the devil advocate because I'm sure there are people who really feel that way. Still I think at the end of the day best we can do is grow our hair and pass tips to anyone looking.

Lol, changing the perception one gorgeous head of hair at a time. That's what this whole Healthy Hair movement is about. :)

eta: christ, what is with my spelling lately.

lol Very true indeed.

I'm not knocking weaves at all. I've tried a lace wig, and clip ins before. I am all for whatever looks nice, and makes the individual happy. There's just seems to be a rise in comedyshows/songs/movies about BW and weaves/wigs.. you name it, among Black men. I started the thread to see the ladies opinions on it.

lol Very true indeed.

I'm not knocking weaves at all. I've tried a lace wig, and clip ins before. I am all for whatever looks nice, and makes the individual happy. There's just seems to be a rise in comedyshows/songs/movies about BW and weaves/wigs.. you name it, among Black men. I started the thread to see the ladies opinions on it.

That's been around for a while. Comedy is comedy - it's just something to laugh at - not to take seriously. The comedians who write or perform material about weaves all know and love women who wear weave. How many women e.g. does Chris Rock know who don't wear weave? His movie was full of inaccuracies about weave btw but I'm not mad - he's a good comedian and a good writer. I appreciate his sense of humor most of the time and overall it's not that deep.

I think it could be an intimacy as well. Not in terms of sex, but just being close with one another. I mean if guys want to be close to you, but can't even touch your hair that has to take something away right?

I've only worn a weave once and never again. That itch is annoying and you can't touch your hair. Wigs are more convenient. I will be wearing lace front wigs and have my hair in cornrows underneath for awhile till I'm APL as a protective style. Think I'll ditch wigs after that.

Why do people think they can't touch their hair if they have a weave? I'm wearing a weave now - I can touch my hair anytime I feel like it, and so can anyone who I allow to touch. So unless your man thinks his hand will shrivel up if he feels a cornrow he can touch. The only reason you couldn't touch is if you wear that shell thing that some people put on their hair I think to protect it from glue - that is not for me though. I like to feel my hair.

I don't know ladies. Most men that i know are "tactile" they like the "feel" of things. If this weren't true, then they wouldn't be known for "running my fingers through your hair" as an act of foreplay. (or your breasts. that's another part of the body that can be falsified)..

When my ex-husband, a well-traveled, navy, southern AA found out i had a weave, he just said: "You better keep wearing it, 'cause i don't want to see no naps." He had a thing for long, flaxen hair on any race. After a while, he got tired of playing with my fake hair and found a woman (white) who's hair was her own.

I must admit, ladies, long hair on a woman other than white, is stunning. Which makes us more sought after, and more exotic. If that hair is not yours, well, it can be a bummer for some guys who are boasting their woman is "natural from head to toe."

Plus, they do play "comparison" games behind our backs when it comes to their women.

My SO learned that i wore a weave, then i decided to start wearing my own hair out. My hair was not MBL, nor 2c/3a, nor auburn. - nothing like the weaves that made me attractive to him in the first place.

And please don't tell me that it shouldn't affect them. It does. he didn't have to be put on anti-depressants or anything, But he had to adjust to a whole new different look..

If you can pull it off, that's great. But i have a big head, and those long weaves helped balance it out.

It doesn't matter whether it's cornrowed, glued or staple gunned in.. it's not your natural hair. and to put it in a nutshell - yes, your man will feel "something" emotionally when you have to take it off.

Like one guy put it in a book i read: "It's like wearing "falsies".. they will feel the difference. No man is going to stand there while you have kleenex in your bra for the rest of your life and say: "Well as long as it LOOKS good, who cares?"

There are some women out there that can rock-it, whether it's their own or not. But many of us - like myself had to start a whole new hair journey before finally coming full-circle with what we have and be proud of it.

Last edited:
I don't know ladies. Most men that i know are "tactile" they like the "feel" of things. If this weren't true, then they wouldn't be known for "running my fingers through your hair" as an act of foreplay. (or your breasts. that's another part of the body that can be falsified)..

When my ex-husband, a well-traveled, navy, southern AA found out i had a weave, he just said: "You better keep wearing it, 'cause i don't want to see no naps." He had a thing for long, flaxen hair on any race. After a while, he got tired of playing with my fake hair and found a woman (white) who's hair was her own.

I must admit, ladies, long hair on a woman other than white, is stunning. Which makes us more sought after, and more exotic. If that hair is not yours, well, it can be a bummer for some guys who are boasting their woman is "natural from head to toe."

Plus, they do play "comparison" games behind our backs when it comes to their women.

My SO learned that i wore a weave, then i decided to start wearing my own hair out. My hair was not MBL, nor 2c/3a, nor auburn. - nothing like the weaves that made me attractive to him in the first place.

And please don't tell me that it shouldn't affect them. It does. he didn't have to be put on anti-depressants or anything, But he had to adjust toa whole new different look..

If you can pull it off, that's great. But i have a big head, and those long weaves helped balance it out.

It doesn't matter whether it's cornrowed, glued or staple gunned in.. it's not your natural hair. and to put it in a nutshell - yes, your man will feel "something" emotionally when you have to take it off.

Like one guy put it in a book i read: "It's like wearing "falsies".. they will feel the difference. No man is going to stand there while you have kleenex in your bra for the rest of your life and say: "Well as long as it LOOKS good, who cares''

There are some women out there that can rock-it, whether it's their own or not. But many of us - like myself had to start a whole new hair journey before finally coming full-circle with what we have and be proud of it.

:lachen: :lachen:

No offense, but your ex-husband sounds like a real jackass. It doesn't matter if real your hair trailed the floor when you walked he would have eventually seen 'naps'. Ugh...makes me mad just thinking about it and I'm trying hard not to call him anymore dirty names.

I think most men just like real hair... They want the whole "hands through hair" situation available. And i know when i use to wear weave/wigs, thats was not happening! My bf doesnt like weave/wigs/braid extensions etc at all. Although he tollerates my braids extensions:yep:

I do feel that BAD weaves/wigs makes us look tacky and fake... but thats ONLY if you can tell its a weave. Otherwise whatever. Unfortunately 90% of the time their not so realistic or appealing.

no worries, that's why he's my ex. that was about 20 years ago. When weaves weren't as popular as they are now. Relaxing was the big thing - that and 80's BIG HAIR.:)

but i heard this through out college campuses. or talking to young black, white and asian men in Oakland. I hardly hear the words "good hair" as much, but there seems to be a great disdain for weaves, wig pieces or wigs. with all cultures..

My Ex, by the way was very young when we married. apparently, like myself, he didn't know any better.

Believe it or not, i felt the same way he did. it's sad to say, and i hope i'm not being offensive, LittleLuxe, I did NOT want to see my real hair, either. I was just as ignorant as he was. If anyone needed their but kicked - it would be me.

thus, my hair was constantly under a weave for decades. Now that i know better? I'm embracing my 4b hair and the journey.

Like many women who've posted on this thread, we have far more knowledge than we did many years ago. Because of this knowledge, i think we have more control and more options.

What man do ya'll know that actually do run their hands through your hair? I wish one would...even if I were wearing my real hair.

I haven't gotten a complaint about wearing weaves since I've been wearing them...and even if I did I'd still continue to do so.

My hair thrives while in weaves. It's pretty much the only protective style that's been working for me. I don't have the time or patience to deal with my hair right now, but I'd still like to reach my ideal hair goal hopefully by next year. Once I do, I most likely will still be wearing the weaves because it works for my lifestyle.

Haha, I love this song! I thought about posting this here a while back, but I can't remember why I didn't. The song is very jokey, but I do believe they are making a good point about how so many black women are relying on weaves these days. Excellent parody :)

Why is horse hair being mentioned? Do they still make weave hair out of that? Did they ever? lol

I'm with dollface, even with my natural hair out, there's no way a man can run his fingers through my naps. His fingers would get stuck. lol

but i heard this through out college campuses. or talking to young black, white and asian men in Oakland. I hardly hear the words "good hair" as much, but there seems to be a great disdain for weaves, wig pieces or wigs. with all cultures..

I think the real issue is that men and women are taught different things about being physically pleasing. For instance men, even the most loving, want some version of a magazine model. Sure they (at least the good ones) will never say they want you airbrushed and toned within an inch of your life but they surely will drool at a gorgeous woman on the cover of a mag not fully realizing what it took to produce that. Then women see it from a purely technical side. We know about the lengthening mascaras and falsies, the high heels and the little cushioning pads we have to place inside them, the push-up bra, the girdle, the stockings. We hear men say "She's gorgeous" but when we attempt to replicate suddenly the story is much different, lol. Like another poster said men actually think those 'all natural' celebrities are all-natural when they're just as painted up as anyone else.

I do see where men are coming from, they are tactile and do want to be able to touch and etc. but it's sort of like 'pick what you want' either I'm gorgeous visibly and you love how I look or I'm real and you get to see the cellulite, stomach pooch, and flab. Being 'fake' is looked down upon by men for sure though.

Believe it or not, i felt the same way he did. it's sad to say, and i hope i'm not being offensive, LittleLuxe, I did NOT want to see my real hair, either. I was just as ignorant as he was. If anyone needed their but kicked - it would be me.

thus, my hair was constantly under a weave for decades. Now that i know better? I'm embracing my 4b hair and the journey.

I'm very glad to hear that :) I'm glad you came to a point where you embraced your true self and can look back positively on your past. I understand times were much different and that culture sometimes didn't really work to help black women love themselves.

Like many women who've posted on this thread, we have far more knowledge than we did many years ago. Because of this knowledge, i think we have more control and more options.

Agreed. I think more than anything else we need to come to the point where we stop judging others for their decisions whether it's relaxed, natural or weaved up. Most women rely on false methods (those who's hair is damaged under weaves) simply because they don't know how to care for themselves. Science has only recently really taken off and slowly women are educating themselves on their body without having to do what they did in the past. Seriously if it wasn't for the net and some brilliant souls I think we'd still be stuck in the 'black women can't grow their hair THAT long' mindset as a unit.

I dont give a damn what a man thinks about my hair. If my hair is going to create issues than obviously there is no point of being with that person.

I wear my weave as a PS. I do not have issues with breakage or moisture. I know how to take care of my hair. GOOD CARE! and my weaves are on POINT!

I love to switch styles going from curly to straight and black to brown. I am not putting all that heat on my hair nor dye.

So therefore I wear my weave not only for protection but also for versatility.

I also wear my real hair too. And aint no damn man touching my hair whether it be weaved up or natural. I just dont like people in my hair point blank period.

In fact all of the men i know love that my hair always switches. I get "oh that style looks really nice" whether it be my IndiRemi ocean wave or 2 strand twist on natural hair. Not that i care about their opinion but just saying. I get compliments either way. *KanyeShrug*

And if a man wants to run his fingers through my hair but doesnt want to because of my weave than he can kick rocks and find the next chic to scrutinize. Theres tons of things I dont like about my SO but if I LOVE them... KEYWORD love than WTF does a track of weave have to do with it?
I will be on the next one! *plays jay-z on to next while kickin his a** out the door*
Love me for me and not my weave or natural hair.

Im going to have to agree to disagree with a lot of these posts.
And have yall seen the ladies on BlackHairMedia? Them sistas have the weave game down to a t!
They are why my weaves are on point and I am able to take great care of my hair underneath. Maybe some of you ladies who havent had good experiences can look there.

Well I'll be real...I do care about what my SO thinks about my hair. He hates weaves and he's allergic to most of them :rofl: (seriously, it must be with whatever they treat the hair with prior to packaging it) His ex was a braid and wig wearer so whenever shes got her hair freshly redone his face and neck would break out...and eventually they put two and two together. when we are intimate (not necessarily having sex) he likes the fact that he can grab or rub my hair without it detaching from my head :lol: And one day he nearly had a heart attack because I didn't get in the shower with a cap on :lol: Again he was used to his past ex's wearing several shower caps scarves etc before showering and acting like their head would melt if an ounce of water touched their head. So he appreciates the freedom and carefree "ness" of it all I guess.

With that said I dont think weaves/wigs are horrible, and Id certainly wear them if I actually liked them. But I just cant get with it. I had a sew in once and it SUCKED. The style was nice but I actually lost a lot of hair removing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back