Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

I don’t know if this has been mentioned on here already but another virtual salon focusing on wash and goes is HydraBar. They are the lowest priced yet has the most modern looking interface plus an app. I just joined. It was another one mentioned in the vid I listened too. I keep you all updated on these “schools.”

I'm a part of the Hydrabar Virtual Salon too. The salon is located 5 minutes away from me. I had intended to go in to get my hair done, but wasn't able to secure an appointment until a few weeks from now, so joining to learn the techniques was the workaround in the meantime.

Last edited:
The Kinky curly knot today / custard combo helped my wash and go last through the night for the first time ever!!! I'm so excited lol. I know this isn't the most popular combo but it seems to work for me and my current skillset/length/hydration levels. (The UFD/ICH combo is hard for me. The UFD is fine, but I can't get the ICH to act right.)

Let's see if I can make it to day 3 with this combo!

I can't wait until my twa grows out...I think it will be so much easier to apply products and have the weight of my hair make things last longer with more definition.

This is my 2nd favorite combo. Glad it worked for you :)

The Kinky curly knot today / custard combo helped my wash and go last through the night for the first time ever!!! I'm so excited lol. I know this isn't the most popular combo but it seems to work for me and my current skillset/length/hydration levels. (The UFD/ICH combo is hard for me. The UFD is fine, but I can't get the ICH to act right.)

Let's see if I can make it to day 3 with this combo!

I can't wait until my twa grows out...I think it will be so much easier to apply products and have the weight of my hair make things last longer with more definition.

I used that combo for a long time. I still like it, but I find the ICH easier to apply since it comes with a pump and spreads a bit easier.

The As recommend diluting the custard about 3:1 or 4:1 and putting it in an applicator bottle. When I would do it that way it was easier to apply, but I never could get a good cast.

I used that combo for a long time. I still like it, but I find the ICH easier to apply since it comes with a pump and spreads a bit easier.

The As recommend diluting the custard about 3:1 or 4:1 and putting it in an applicator bottle. When I would do it that way it was easier to apply, but I never could get a good cast.
LOL You inadvertently answered my question. Now it makes sense.

I think this extra hydration/water to the hair makes the cast super soft. I think I wouldn’t have had any hold if I didn’t use the Aunt Jackie’s gel on top of my recent wng.

I think instead of trying to minimize the number of products I have, I’m going to keep on hand a few base stylers and a few toppers that I can mix and match depending on the look I want and what’s available.

ICH is so hard to find I don’t want to be dependent on it, and UFD and the KC products have also suffered from scarcity in the past year.

So here is what I plan to keep on hand- but that’s it. I don’t want to become a PJ :drunk:

- 2 base stylers (KCKT and UFD)
- 4 toppers (ICH/jello shot/KCCC/Doux)

I did a 1 hour hair survey for a $50 amazon gift card this afternoon. It was so fun to sit in my bathroom and talk about hair!

The chat was with a black woman that founded her own shoe company... so I’m not sure if she’s trying to break into hair. She also got a haircut by Mona last September!

Here is a little update. I must say that the A’s know what they are talking about. I tried their technique and I see a big difference.

They do mention in their digital library that they would use the Camille Rose Curl Maker or Mielle Pomegranate & Honey Coil Sculpting Custard if they were in a pinch. You all must know already which one I have by now. :laugh: So I went in with lots of conditioner and detangled. My hair had lots of hang after that.

When I finally got to the gel, I did it initially in the shower. I soaked my head several times with water. Then smoothed the product over and raked the portions in sections. I watched a video by Fo Adunni talking about products that other stylist use that are trained by Black Curl Magic. So I picked up a small tube of Aunt Jackie’s Flaxseed Gel yesterday to use as a topper. It was said to be used in combo with the coil sculpting custard.

Today’s wash and go had hang immediately after I finished putting product in. I could literally shake my hair. Prior to this, I felt like I had Lego Hair as Linwood from GlamFam would say. The only dryer I own is a soft bonnet one that I never used before. Iwas suffocating my forehead and crushing the curls trying to use it. So that didn’t last long. Unfortunately, I didn’t get to lock in the length.

Today my hair is finally soft. Finally! I think I solved the answer to my problem. So now I just need to figure away to cut back down the drying time. I guess that is where a topper will come into place. So I’ll look into their recommendations as well as Doux Mousse Def. I also should probably invest in a hooded dryer.
Okay, you've convinced me, I'm gonna give See Some Curls a try :lol:
My detangling and product application techniques need WORK

Getting my hair ready to color over the weekend. I did 1 clarifying shampoo and 1 moisturizing shampoo. I let the rinse out conditioner sit while I showered. I rinsed and then I slicked my hair back with some mousse. I need my hair to be straight so I can color it more easily. Just sporting a scarf and a wrap to get it drier before bed.

After listening to a few of these wash and go stylists, they say that the Kinky Curly system creates a soft and fluffy wash and go. The average person using the product seems to complain of crunchiness or stickiness.

Do you find that the Kinky Curly combo to be a soft or hard set?

My hair has never been soft so I don't know if I'm a good person to ask.

But it seems like it has a slight crunch.

Okay HydraBar Virtual Salon isn’t as organized as Black Curl Magic, but it is easy to navigate. From the app view, it’s more like Instagram organization. I like that it is interactive with an actual community. Also, Rhonda and Kurian are active and respond to members on a regular basis.

They are not the same, but similar philosophies. I think they are different enough to check out both. Also, I think the A’s might yell at you if you go in doing Rhonda’s stuff. LOL

They have several styler combo recommendations of products that are easily accessible. They say looser and silkier curls can be more lenient with product choice but it’s really about the shampoo and conditioning technique to get the hair hydrated.

I won’t say that she encourages people to try their own hair styler combos, but she doesn’t seem to be against it. In fact, she is working on her own and it will be an actual one and done. So today, I’m playing around with the products I have on hand.

Also, look for products with the least amount of oils. Try to find ones with no oil in the top 5 to top 8 ingredients.

One of the biggest difference is that Rhonda doesn’t like Uncle Funky’s Daughter Curl Magic. Oh my!:pop: She says it leaves a dull cast to the hair. Also, the hair doesn’t feel as soft after washing it out. She went into the whole thing about after the original owner Tonya Goff sold the company, Goff took the rights of the formula with her. So the current Curl Magic is not what it use to be. Rhonda says Goff has a new company that I could not hear properly and the products are always sold out. I think she said it’s called Secret Roots.

I can say that I actually like the results of HydraBar clients better than Black Curl Magic and Abena. HydraBar seems to really focus on definition and shine in addition to hydration. You can see it in their work. That’s what I’m mainly looking for.

So they say it can take anywhere from 3 month to a whole year to finally get the hydration you need. From there, the hair will become shinier and more defined naturally. The amount of products and combos may change as your hair gets fully hydrated.

She also is really into her shampoo brush for smoothing the hair. She uses it with the shampoo, the conditioner and even with the styling products. She has the most emphasis on smoothing the hair from start to finish.

I could probably say more, but thats the basic gist from my first run through of the site.

Today I used Mielle Mongongo Oil Exfoliating Shampoo. This feels like an actual clarifying shampoo compared to some others I have. Then I followed that with Mielle P&H Moisturizing and Detangling Shampoo and Conditioner.

On soaking wet hair in the shower I put on Mielle P&H Coil Sculpting Custard and topped it with Aunt Jackie’s Flaxseed Elongating Curling Gel. I tried to rewet my hair and get the product on the inside portion, but my hair is short.

So when I go out to style, I decided to top with the Mielle P&H Curl Defining Mousse w/Hold as I styled. I did this because I was loosing a little bit of the definition as I separated sections of the previously smoothed hair from the shower application. Hey, after I saw some of those styler combos, I think it might be okay to use some products not as directed anymore.

I’ll come back with pics later in the day once it drys. It doesn’t look like it will be a fail so far.

Okay, you've convinced me, I'm gonna give See Some Curls a try :lol:
My detangling and product application techniques need WORK
You’ll probably like it. If you already have some of their products, you can just follow blindly without questions. I think it’s easier to just use what you have on hand and pretend it’s what they are talking about. LOL. So far, I think it’s mainly technique and then products. We shall see once I do an upgrade on products.

Okay HydraBar Virtual Salon isn’t as organized as Black Curl Magic, but it is easy to navigate. From the app view, it’s more like Instagram organization. I like that it is interactive with an actual community. Also, Rhonda and Kurian are active and respond to members on a regular basis.

They are not the same, but similar philosophies. I think they are different enough to check out both. Also, I think the A’s might yell at you if you go in doing Rhonda’s stuff. LOL

They have several styler combo recommendations of products that are easily accessible. They say looser and silkier curls can be more lenient with product choice but it’s really about the shampoo and conditioning technique to get the hair hydrated.

I won’t say that she encourages people to try their own hair styler combos, but she doesn’t seem to be against it. In fact, she is working on her own and it will be an actual one and done. So today, I’m playing around with the products I have on hand.

Also, look for products with the least amount of oils. Try to find ones with no oil in the top 5 to top 8 ingredients.

One of the biggest difference is that Rhonda doesn’t like Uncle Funky’s Daughter Curl Magic. Oh my!:pop: She says it leaves a dull cast to the hair. Also, the hair doesn’t feel as soft after washing it out. She went into the whole thing about after the original owner Tonya Goff sold the company, Goff took the rights of the formula with her. So the current Curl Magic is not what it use to be. Rhonda says Goff has a new company that I could not hear properly and the products are always sold out. I think she said it’s called Secret Roots.

I can say that I actually like the results of HydraBar clients better than Black Curl Magic and Abena. HydraBar seems to really focus on definition and shine in addition to hydration. You can see it in their work. That’s what I’m mainly looking for.

So they say it can take anywhere from 3 month to a whole year to finally get the hydration you need. From there, the hair will become shinier and more defined naturally. The amount of products and combos may change as your hair gets fully hydrated.

She also is really into her shampoo brush for smoothing the hair. She uses it with the shampoo, the conditioner and even with the styling products. She has the most emphasis on smoothing the hair from start to finish.

I could probably say more, but thats the basic gist from my first run through of the site.
I heard about that the situation with UFD. It was long before I started using but didn't know the OG person started making products again.

So I’m at day 6 with the CurlSmith Hair Makeup Gel over UFD. (That info about the changed formula is interesting and I’m so curious what it used to be like! Gotta see if I can find out what that new company is.)
-No flakes.
-No transfer
-A bit of fading.

I’m wondering what the wash out process will be like later this afternoon. I’m debating between blue or pink just on the top next.

So I’m at day 6 with the CurlSmith Hair Makeup Gel over UFD. (That info about the changed formula is interesting and I’m so curious what it used to be like! Gotta see if I can find out what that new company is.)
-No flakes.
-No transfer
-A bit of fading.

I’m wondering what the wash out process will be like later this afternoon. I’m debating between blue or pink just on the top next.
If not for myself, I may try getting my mom to use that Hair Makeup if it comes in some darker colors. I can’t wait to hear how your hair feels once you wash it out.

Also, the new company is supposedly using the old formula. I’ll try to sit through the hour long vid and re listen. It was a recorded live and the audio went out a little bit at that time.

What type of shampoo brush is she using?

If not for myself, I may try getting my mom to use that Hair Makeup if it comes in some darker colors. I can’t wait to hear how your hair feels once you wash it out.

Also, the new company is supposedly using the old formula. I’ll try to sit through the hour long vid and re listen. It was a recorded live and the audio went out a little bit at that time.
I believe the old formula is now Hello Curly's Curl Stimulator. Google has some articles and YT has a video or two with comparisons.

Yup. Agree about the gist of the Hydrabar Virtual Salon. I don't have any experience with the A's, but Rhonda doesn't come off abrasive, as I've seen others mention about the A's. I actually sat in on a live on Tuesday night where Rhonda was doing her own hair and answering questions as we went along. I can't wait until her product actually debuts. I cannot wait to try it.

I've seen a big difference in the hydration of my hair since I started using her methods a little over a month ago. I committed to myself to strictly follow for 3 months to see my progress. Before that, I'm sure my hair was parched because I was consistently using oils and heavy butters, getting frustrated that my hair would not retain moisture, and then going into braids/twists for several weeks for a "break." Rinse and repeat. :nono:

I didn't take any pics, but I'm really happy with my wash n go that I did at the top of this week. My hair shrinks up so much but the curlies and coilies are popping.

I was always afraid to clarify until the A's stated that I needed to follow the clarifying shampoo with a moisturizing shampoo. :shocked: I don't remember ever hearing that before. That was a game changer. My hair clarified is terrifying. But that moisturizing shampoo behind it, calms my nerves :lol:
I use to do this when I wore my hair straight. I have so many dvds from stylist on how to do the silk press. Most if not all called for a clarifying shampoo followed by a moisturizing one. This was suppose to be done to the hair every 10 days to 2 weeks.

No one seemed to specialize in wash n goes except for those that texturized/texlaxed. I found a professional dvd or two on that. So when Lorraine Massey hit the scene, all that cleaning the hair info was throw out the window.

Educational dvds seem to be a thing of the past. I can still find them for hair coloring, cutting and special chemical services though.

Back