Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

@faithVA and @bubbles12345
Do you incorporate protein DCs and heat in your routines? I've learned that protein helps the hair retain moisture.
I'm low porosity and it really makes my hair drier. And heat makes my hair soft but it does not help it retain moisture.

I've been on the board for years and @GettingKinky knows I have tried a boat load of things and more with no success. I can list the stuff which I think would be super amusing :lol: Only following the A's process has given me any hope. And I found that I didn't need to do any of that as they said. I did the detox and I rehydrated and I do CCS and that is all I do and my hair is hydrated. I followed the A's guidance on anything extra.

@GettingKinky

I don't have hard water according to the hard water map.

Here is what I use for my wash and gos:
1. Clarifyer - kinky curly come clean (last used like Jan 3 2021)

2. All purpose shampoo - innersence pure harmony hair bath (use once every 7-10 days.)

3. Moisturizing shampoo - innersence hydrating cream hair bath (alternate with above and use once every 3-7 days it depends.)

4. Conditioner - innersence hydrating cream conditioner (use each session)

5. Gel - UFD curly magic (use each session)
It sounds like you are on the right track. I’m hoping time, and maybe wetting more often as @faithVA described will get you there.

The funny thing about this is before when people used to complain that the products they recommend are so expensive, they would come back with “these products are high quality so you don’t need to use a lot”. But now they are telling people they need to use more conditioner and more gel.

For awhile when I started following them had bad results because I was trying to just use a little of these high end quality products. Now I use just as much as I used to use when I used cheap products.
Same here. It really depends on your hair. I remember them saying that also about using high quality products. When I was using ICH in the beginning I was using too little for my hair. I would apply a smaller amount for a bigger section. I remember Aeliese saying her hair didn't need much hold and Aeishia said she needs a lot more hold. I need more ICH in my sections also. I can see that Aeliese's hair is silkier and smoother than mine, that's why she doesn't need much ICH. Now I use as much as I need and then sometimes smooth the Trepadora on top of it, I go lighter on the Trepadora and let the ICH be the workhorse. My first few days my wash n go is flat and very defined. It's fine b/c I like to leave room for it to expand as the days go on. I use enough conditioner as well.

@Britt I totally agree with you. Wash and go’s are very similar to roller setting. You have to make sure your sections fit your products and tools (fingers, in this case, rollers if you’re doing a roller set.)

I was struck by the two times I went to the salon and they styled my hair in no less than 30 sections. I know the A’s suggest saturation of the hair as a whole and then going back in sections to style, but I prefer to section and apply product as I go.

I style my hair in 18 sections and I really feel like I’m getting the product on the root, which helps elongate my curls and also helps them last for 4/5 days.

Last edited:
I’ve been resisting using UFD because I don’t like the smell, but the more I use it, the more I can tell that it’s really good.
So now my current plan is to use up the stuff in my stash (Briogeo coil custard and KCKT) and then go back to using UFD solo and with a topper.

The only other gels I will try are jello shot, which I already ordered and Earthtones. I’m going to try them solo and as toppers for UFD. I want to find a black owned replacement for ICH.

And maaaaybe orange marmalade to see if it can replace UFD. But I really don’t want to turn into a PJ.

@faithVA and @bubbles12345
Do you incorporate protein DCs and heat in your routines? I've learned that protein helps the hair retain moisture.

I didn't experience truly moisturized hair until I DCed 2x per week, years ago when I was relaxed.

The last time I used protein was in December (the mielle mint protein one the As suggested.) I'll probably wait awhile before I use it again.

I haven't moisture DCed since December as well since the As are so against it but I wonder if I do need to deep conditioner. Which one do y'all recommend? Any moisturizing DCs that aren't too oily or buttery?

I'll probably wait until after my appointment to DC because a lot of DCs have heavy oils/butters in them and I need to still continue my detox before my wash and go appointment.

The last time I used protein was in December (the mielle mint protein one the As suggested.) I'll probably wait awhile before I use it again.

I haven't moisture DCed since December as well since the As are so against it but I wonder if I do need to deep conditioner. Which one do y'all recommend? Any moisturizing DCs that aren't too oily or buttery?

I'll probably wait until after my appointment to DC because a lot of DCs have heavy oils/butters in them and I need to still continue my detox before my wash and go appointment.
i've been loving honeys handmade honey and hibiscus conditioning mask.... Its not oily at all. Its just nourishing and moisturizes my hair from the inside out. It reminds me alot of my old tried and true dc myhoneychild honey hair mask.

@Britt I totally agree with you. Wash and go’s are very similar to roller setting. You have to make sure your sections fit your products and tools (fingers, in this case, rollers if you’re doing a roller set.)

I was struck by the two times I went to the salon and they styled my hair in no less than 30 sections. I know the A’s suggest saturation of the hair as a whole and then going back in sections to style, but I prefer to section and apply product as I go.

I style my hair in 18 sections and I really feel like I’m getting the product on the root, which helps elongate my curls and also helps them last for 4/5 days.
Yes yes yes. I also noticed lately that I have take my time to smooth more and break down my sections into smaller sections. It takes much longer but gives a better result. I realize this is not a quick process as much I’d like it to be. It takes some time to section and smooth to ‘set’ the hair.

I know one thing, ain’t no way I could be doing this multiple times a week. It takes time and my products too costly :nono: . Before I used to be under the impression that wash n go was this quick hairstyle that could be done quite often. It’s not. Only if I had a really short hair cut.

I wish I could get results I like that last a week. But by day 4/5 I have more frizz than I like. Washing 2x a week is part of my motivation to find a 1 product wash n go. It will be quicker to do and cheaper.

I could wear a puff for the second half of the week, but I like wearing my curls out. :drunk:

I wish I could get results I like that last a week. But by day 4/5 I have more frizz than I like. Washing 2x a week is part of my motivation to find a 1 product wash n go. It will be quicker to do and cheaper.

I could wear a puff for the second half of the week, but I like wearing my curls out. :drunk:
I agree with all of this. That’s why I was on a quest to find a cheaper gel. I was washing say every 3-5 days. If I did a wash n go I didn’t like I’d redo it lol.

I know one thing, ain’t no way I could be doing this multiple times a week. It takes time and my products too costly :nono: . Before I used to be under the impression that wash n go was this quick hairstyle that could be done quite often. It’s not. Only if I had a really short hair cut.
See, for me the best results are washing every three days.

I can get a wash and go to last up to 7 days. However it sucks for detangling. Every three days my hair gets that reset. I use two stylers every wash. But imma PJ lol.

Last edited:
I will say I liked Curlsmiths newest product, The Bond Curl Rehab. I tried Olaplex once and didnt see a difference so I never used it again.

Ive been henna'ng and coloring my hair for the past 7 years. My curls arent as tight as they used to be. Instead of a tight slinky, they are now a loose S until my hair dries. The very front has always been loose due to me manipulating it the most. I used the Bond Curl Rehab and my curls tightened up immediately. Its been almost a month since the first try. I'll try it again next weekend and see how it goes.

I am low porosity even with the colored hair which still loves oils/butters but only on dried hair and in deep conditioners. Not leave ins or very low in the ingredients list.

Finally did my hair this morning. I'm not sure how I did this last year :lol: Right now I'm air drying but I want to go for a walk later so I will dry my hair during my lunch break. Since I had used the Aunt Jackie's on my hair directly last time and used the foam a couple of times, I did the whole CCS this morning.

I cleansed with Jessicurl Gentle Lather Shampoo and then again with Elucence Moisturizing Shampoo. Then I used the Kirkland conditioner and let it sit while I showered. Applied my UFD. I'm still playing around with the gel water ratio. Hopefully in the spring I figure it out so I can just repeat it. I let that sit on my hair while I dressed. Then I added the Aunt Jackie's as a topper. I don't think it is the best topper but it works for now. No use wasting my ICH to sit in the house.

I don't see it but my hair must be growing. When I went downstairs my SO said, "Hey long hair, curly hair.". So, if he notices, it must be a thing. It looks like the same old head to me. I've decided in order to keep disappointment at bay, I'm going to wait until March to take my update pictures. I should be able to see the difference by then. It will be 4 months. I will also color it too because my gray is showing out.

I think I should change my user name to FlipFlop :lol: Now, I'm thinking I should do my hair twice a week and just keep the mid-week reset very short with a rinse and gel application. :perplexed:

Back