Warning Signs of an Abusive Relationship

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/domestic_violence_abuse_types_signs_causes_effects.htm

(why any of these aren't stickies, I'll never know...not like we haven't asked a myriad of times)

Spousal abuse and battery are used for one purpose: to gain and maintain total control over the victim. In addition to physical violence, abusers use the following tactics to exert power over their wives or partners:

• Dominance — Abusive individuals need to feel in charge of the relationship. They will make decisions for you and the family, tell you what to do, and expect you to obey without question. Your abuser may treat you like a servant, child, or even as his possession.
  • Humiliation — An abuser will do everything he can to make you feel bad about yourself, or defective in some way. After all, if you believe you're worthless and that no one else will want you, you're less likely to leave. Insults, name-calling, shaming, and public put-downs are all weapons of abuse designed to erode your self-esteem and make you feel powerless.
  • Isolation — In order to increase your dependence on him, an abusive partner will cut you off from the outside world. He may keep you from seeing family or friends, or even prevent you from going to work or school. You may have to ask permission to do anything, go anywhere, or see anyone. Source: Domestic Abuse Intervention Project, MN
  • Threats — Abusers commonly use threats to keep their victims from leaving or to scare them into dropping charges. Your abuser may threaten to hurt or kill you, your children, other family members, or even pets. He may also threaten to commit suicide, file false charges against you, or report you to child services.
  • Intimidation — Your abuser may use a variety of intimation tactics designed to scare you into submission. Such tactics include making threatening looks or gestures, smashing things in front of you, destroying property, hurting your pets, or putting weapons on display. The clear message is that if you don't obey, there will be violent consequences.
  • Denial and blame — Abusers are very good at making excuses for the inexcusable. They will blame their abusive and violent behavior on a bad childhood, a bad day, and even on the victims of their abuse. Your abuser may minimize the abuse or deny that it occurred. He will commonly shift the responsibility onto you: Somehow, his violence and abuse is your fault.
If you feel you are in physical danger immediately call 911 or the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-787-3224.

Thank you for this thread. All women need to know and understand that a little disrepect and accusation leads to MORE disrespect and accusation. People naturally test their limits and if you give him an inch, he'll take a mile.

Dont be afraid to stand up for your beliefs and your standards, REGARDLESS of how he reacts to them. He may not like it but he will respect it, even if he doesnt show it.

Why Does He Do That? Inside The Minds of Angry Controlling Men
by: Dr. Lundy Bancroft

Bancroft has worked with abusive men individually and in groups for over 18 years and is considered one of the world’s leading experts on the subject of abuse.

Myths about Abusers:

Myth #1 – He was abused as a child and needs therapy for it.
Abusive men are masters of the hard luck story and may find that accounts of childhood abuse are one of the best ways to pull heartstrings. A non-abusive man doesn’t use his past as an excuse to mistreat you.

Dr. Bancroft speaking to a client, “If you are so in touch with your feelings from your abusive childhood, then you should know what abuse feels like. You should be able to remember how miserable it was to be cut down to nothing, put in fear, be told that the abuse is your own fault. You should be less likely to abuse a woman not more so, from having been through it”.

Therapy focuses on the man’s feelings and gives him empathy and support, no matter how unreasonable the attitudes that are giving rise to those feelings. An abuser program focuses on his thinking. Therapy typically will not address any of the central causes of abusiveness, including: entitlement, coercive control, disrespect, superiority, selfishness or victim blaming. An abuse program will make them its primary focus.

Myth #2 – He had a previous partner who mistreated him terribly and now he has a problem with women as a result. He’s a wonderful man and that ***** made him get like this.

Note: when he is describing all the wounds and terrible behaviors that his previous partner inflicted on him he is usually describing his own behaviors but he attributes them to the woman so he is the victim. He can craft an excuse to explain any of his controlling/abusive behaviors.

Myth #3 – He’s abusive because he feels so strongly about me. People cause those they care about most deeply the most pain.

Behavior is a choice. Feelings do not cause or justify bad behavior!

Myth #4- He holds in his feelings too much and they build up until he bursts. He needs to get in touch with his emotions and learn to express them to prevent those explosive episodes.

Dr. Bancroft found that most abusive men are not unusually repressed and in fact, have an exaggerated idea of how important their feelings are – nothing matters but his feelings.

Therapy geared toward getting the abuser to identify and express their feelings doesn’t work because this misguided approach feeds the abuser’s selfish focus on himself which is an important force driving his abusiveness.

Myth #5 – He has a violent explosive personality. He needs to learn to be less aggressive.

The great majority of abusive men are fairly calm and reasonable in most of their dealings that are unrelated to their partners.

Myth #6 – He loses control of himself. He just goes wild.

He goes berserk, smashing stuff. Dr. Bancroft recalls one of his clients saying,
“You know what? I’m amazed I’ve never thought of this, but he only breaks my stuff. And I always have to clean up the mess”. Obviously there is a calculation to what he is doing.

Also, it is common that after a violent episode, when the police show up, suddenly he’s calm and in control like nothing happened.

An abuser never does anything that he himself considers morally unacceptable. He may hide what he does because he thinks other people would disagree with it but he feels justified inside. In short,
an abuser’s core problem is that he has a distorted sense of right or wrong.

Myth #7 – He’s too angry. He needs to learn anger-management.

He is not abusive because he was angry. He was angry because he is abusive. Abusers carry attitudes that produce fury.

His worst actions might occur when he is most angry (or when he uses alcohol or drugs) but the deeper pattern is operating all the time.

Myth # 8 – He’s crazy. He’s got some mental illness that he needs to be medicated for.

The abuser’s value system is unhealthy not their psychology. Mental illness doesn’t cause abusiveness any more than alcohol does.

No medication yet discovered will turn an abuser into a loving, considerate, appropriate partner.

Myth # 9 – He hates women. His mother or some other woman must have done something terrible to him.

Abusers often have close relationships with their mothers or other females. A fair number are able to work successfully with other females and respect her authority. So while a small number of men do hate women, the great majority exhibit a sense of superiority or contempt toward females and don’t show signs of problems with women until they are in a serious relationship.

Myth # 10 - He is afraid of intimacy and abandonment.

There are plenty of men with these fears who don’t abuse or control their partners – because they don’t have an abusive mentality.

Myth # 11- He suffers from low self-esteem

When you try to improve an abuser’s feelings about himself, his problem actually tends to get worse.
An abusive man expects catering and the more positive attention he receives, the more he demands.
He never reaches a point where he is satisfied, where he has been given enough.

Think just for a moment about how your partner’s degrading and bullying behavior has hurt your self-esteem. Have you suddenly turned into an abusive person?

Myth # 11- He has poor communication, conflict-resolution and stress management skills. He needs training.

An abusive man is not unable to resolve conflicts unabusively, he is unwilling to do so. They tend to function just fine in tense situations at work without exploding, etc.

Myth #12 – Abuse is as bad for the man who is doing it as for his partner. They are both victims.

Abusers actually tend to benefit in many ways from their controlling behaviors. They get to be selfish, lazy and get their way !!! Unlike alcoholics they don’t “hit bottom”. They can go on abusing for 20-30 years continuing to destroy the emotional health of their partners.

Myth # 13 – He is abusive because of societal discrimination, etc. He feels disempowered so he needs to feel powerful.

Having been discriminated against is not an excuse for abusing your partner.

Myth # 14 – The alcohol/drugs are what make him abusive. If I can get him to stay sober, our relationship will be just fine.

Alcohol/Drugs do not create an abuser and sobriety cannot cure one. The only a man can overcome his abusiveness is by dealing with his abusiveness.

Key Points To Remember:

*An abusive man’s emotional problems do not cause his abusiveness. You can’t change him by figuring out what is bothering him, helping him feel better or improving the dynamics of your relationship.

*Feelings do not govern abusive or controlling behavior; beliefs, values and habits are the driving forces.

*The reasons that an abusive man gives for his behavior are simply excuses. There is not a way to overcome a problem with abusiveness by focusing on tangents such as self-esteem, conflict resolution, anger management or impulse control. Abusiveness is resolved by dealing with abusiveness.

*Abusers thrive on creating confusion, including confusion about the abuse itself.

*There is nothing wrong with you. Your partner’s abuse problem is his own.

WOW! That was eye-opening! Especially the myths! Thanks for this. :up:

Now I'm really starting to wonder if perhaps I was in an emotionally-abusive relationship myself. :look:

The list of myths is on point particularly the criticisms of therapy, but I have to admit I'm confused. If none of these things "cause" abusiveness then where does it come from? Or is the Dr saying that it doesn't matter why they act abusively because understanding the root cause of the behavior won't get you anywhere in terms of getting the person to stop?

The list of myths is on point particularly the criticisms of therapy, but I have to admit I'm confused. If none of these things "cause" abusiveness then where does it come from? Or is the Dr saying that it doesn't matter why they act abusively because understanding the root cause of the behavior won't get you anywhere in terms of getting the person to stop?[/QUOTE]

Bingo! I'd also recomend reading the entire book. It's great.

The list of myths is on point particularly the criticisms of therapy, but I have to admit I'm confused. If none of these things "cause" abusiveness then where does it come from? Or is the Dr saying that it doesn't matter why they act abusively because understanding the root cause of the behavior won't get you anywhere in terms of getting the person to stop?

It comes from his value system. A man who believes he is entitled to have whatever he wants, whenever he wants, will get enraged when his partner does not move heaven and earth to give him what he wants.

If he feels that his needs/feelings/wishes are more important than his partners are, he will act crazy when she attends to her own needs/feelings/wishes.

If he thinks that he has the right to break her things, the right to decide how she spends every single minute of her life, the right to sex whenever he wants it (regardless of how she feels) then he will be abusive.

It's about the value system.

Why Does He Do That? Inside The Minds of Angry Controlling Men
by: Dr. Lundy Bancroft

Bancroft has worked with abusive men individually and in groups for over 18 years and is considered one of the world’s leading experts on the subject of abuse.

Myths about Abusers:

Myth #1 – He was abused as a child and needs therapy for it.

Myth #2 – He had a previous partner who mistreated him terribly and now he has a problem with women as a result. He’s a wonderful man and that ***** made him get like this.

Myth #3 – He’s abusive because he feels so strongly about me. People cause those they care about most deeply the most pain.

Myth #4- He holds in his feelings too much and they build up until he bursts. He needs to get in touch with his emotions and learn to express them to prevent those explosive episodes.

Myth #5 – He has a violent explosive personality. He needs to learn to be less aggressive.

Myth #6 – He loses control of himself. He just goes wild.

Myth #7 – He’s too angry. He needs to learn anger-management.

Myth # 8 – He’s crazy. He’s got some mental illness that he needs to be medicated for.

Myth # 9 – He hates women. His mother or some other woman must have done something terrible to him.

Myth # 10 - He is afraid of intimacy and abandonment.

Myth # 11- He suffers from low self-esteem

Myth # 11- He has poor communication, conflict-resolution and stress management skills. He needs training.

Myth #12 – Abuse is as bad for the man who is doing it as for his partner. They are both victims.

Myth # 13 – He is abusive because of societal discrimination, etc. He feels disempowered so he needs to feel powerful.

Myth # 14 – The alcohol/drugs are what make him abusive. If I can get him to stay sober, our relationship will be just fine.

Key Points To Remember:

*An abusive man’s emotional problems do not cause his abusiveness. You can’t change him by figuring out what is bothering him, helping him feel better or improving the dynamics of your relationship.

*Feelings do not govern abusive or controlling behavior; beliefs, values and habits are the driving forces.

*The reasons that an abusive man gives for his behavior are simply excuses. There is not a way to overcome a problem with abusiveness by focusing on tangents such as self-esteem, conflict resolution, anger management or impulse control. Abusiveness is resolved by dealing with abusiveness.

*Abusers thrive on creating confusion, including confusion about the abuse itself.

*There is nothing wrong with you. Your partner’s abuse problem is his own.

This is such a great list, thank you for sharing!

Last edited:
What a eye opener!!!! This is my husband, I'm currently creating a plan to leave.

(((Sunnyinthewindycity)))

I'm hoping that your plan can come to fruition sooner than later, Sunny. Very sorry to hear you are in such a situation. I hope you know, his issues aren't your fault, responsibility, etc. :nono:

Very good thread.Some people may not even realize that certain things they are expieriencing are actually abuse. This info is very informative.

Good point.

Because I grew up with an abusive father; I know the signs. I'd always worn woman and my friends if I thought their man was abusive or had the potential to be. Of course, they never listened, but found out eventually.

Most of the time their "symptoms" are pretty obvious.

Ladies, also please note that a lot of times, these traits won't come right of the gate in the beginning. They are often very subtle at first. These men are very skilled at warping a woman's mind, especially if that woman is emotionally vulnerable.

If you have a feeling in your gut that something's not right about some of the things he's saying or asking you to do, GET OUT!!!!!

LUNDY BANCROFT'S book is wonderful!!! If you even think you are in any type of abusive relationship, you should read it!! I learned A LOT from reading that book!!

abusive relationship huh, let me think back. once my ex thought he was going to be abusive to me when he hit me in the face, lol ahahahaha, lol i wasnt going to play tina to this ike, no no no i punched his a$$ back along with a couple of kicks and that was that.......

There is an article in the Facts (www.thefacts.com) about a woman, who is dead, and her daughter, who is recovering from a severe gunshot injury. Her ex husband killed her and severly injured her daughter. Her ex-husband had divorce her married another woman and was expecting a child with the new wife. However, he found out the ex-wife was dating again and got into several alteracation with his ex-wife new man.

Ladies be careful, the abusive man mentality is real. By- the way I know this lady, who got killed from work.

Isolation — In order to increase your dependence on him, an abusive partner will cut you off from the outside world. He may keep you from seeing family or friends, or even prevent you from going to work or school. You may have to ask permission to do anything, go anywhere, or see anyone.

Dominance — Abusive individuals need to feel in charge of the relationship. They will make decisions for you and the family, tell you what to do, and expect you to obey without question. Your abuser may treat you like a servant, child, or even as his possession.

I experience both of these to some degree with my husband. He doesn't like or want me to work and sometimes I feel like he treats me as though I'm a child. Sometimes I don't mind the latter as I like being taken care of although sometimes I find it patronizing and will say so.

Yet, I know that the reason that my husband behaves in these manners is because he loves me and wants to keep me safe and to avoid my having personal relationships with other men...and sometimes women. He wants to be number one in my life, but in NO way is he abusive. I've had to stress this to my family as they had their suspicions because he is so posessive and sometimes overbearing. Especially when I'm out of his sight and visiting my family. He used to call me every few minutes but, he's relaxed somewhat over the years. I think that it's just baggage from his past. I think that most of us have it...I know I do. Just not to such an extreme degree.

It is very important that once you realize this you get out of this relationship. It NEVER gets better it ONLY gets worse. NEVER blame yourself he always will so regardless of what you do it will get worse and always be your fault. The longer you stay the harder it is to leave as you might begin to rationalize his behaviour in your head and once you do that he's in your head and your stuck. Take my foolish advice and leave! It takes alot of courage especially after what you may have been through and you may have been with said partner for a number of years and it may be daunting to be by yourself and eventually some one else. But it would be worth it when your out and finally able to breathe. Alot of women also end up trapped in an abusive relationship because the sex is oh so good or the d!ck is so big. Dnt allow yourself to be d!ckmatized. Many women think this could never happen to them or they would never allow it but it all depends on what happens when the time comes. An abusive man can control any self assured woman using shame and embarrassment to ostracize her. This thread might just save your life!

They think that the money and gifts that they have given you makes up for any emotional abuse, physical/sexual abuse, spiritual abuse, cheating and … they have inflicted upon you and the marriage.

They will use financial manipulation and control. Of course they don’t call it that. Every other sane person sees what they are doing, but they don’t. However, there are some men who are abusive and are completely aware of that fact that they are manipulating you. They don’t want you to save any money … etc The list goes on! Sometimes (not all the time though), the reason they don’t want you saving any money is so that you don’t have the means to get away from them. Or,you can't do anything or buy anything without them knowing or having to run it by them first.

Last edited:
"The Emotionally Abused Woman - Overcoming Destructive Patterns and Reclaiming Yourself" - by Beverly Engel, M.F.C.C.

I found this after reading a book that was mentioned in this thread, at least I think it was this thread. It's a good book.

Last edited:
Reading this thread has made me glad I got out of my most recent relationship when I did. He was showing signs of being abusive & I left before it got physical. I knew in my gut that's what was coming next. I'm not going to pretend like I knew so much better than other women in these situations, but I am going to pray that they get out as soon as they can.

Back