Use Up Your Stash Challenge 2011

So I was gonna chelate my hair and I took the last of my Joico Chelating Shampoo looked at it a little closer and it was so gross...it separated into a clear gelly and white cream...I didn't even have it that long (3 months?) but who knows how long it was on the shelf...and the Joico K-Pak Reconstructor was also a slightly questionable texture. Come to think of it I remember when I bought a sample of Joico K-pak and it was completely watery with white chunks..man this totally turns me off from Joico!!! Needless to say I threw these items OUT. Also went on a rampage and threw out nearly empty bottles of: aphogee 2 min, NTM Daily DC, Organix Coconut Milk Conditioner, Proclaim Aloe & Shea butter moisturizing condish.

Ladies please inspect your products before putting in your hair!!

How did you find out that it was this certain ingredient?

Cuz I'm anal retentive :lachen: I did two separate test on my hair. 1st cleansed my hair and applied sunflower oil and then applied separate products oo 20 different sections of my hair. (And of course wrote them down). Then I did a 2nd test of naked hair, testing 36 different products on separate twists.

And then I compared the twists after they dried. Products with dimethicone in them left my hair hard and wiry, whether I applied oil to my hair or on naked hair or whether I tried to fix it with a leave-in.

I had 3 different products with dimethicone and they felt bad. Coconut oil also makes my hair feel the same way but greasy :blush: imagine that.

I am glad to find this out because I was trying to figure out whether I was going to try Hawaiin silky or Infusium. Infusium has dimethicone high on the list. Hawaiin silky it is.

So I was gonna chelate my hair and I took the last of my Joico Chelating Shampoo looked at it a little closer and it was so gross...it separated into a clear gelly and white cream...I didn't even have it that long (3 months?) but who knows how long it was on the shelf...and the Joico K-Pak Reconstructor was also a slightly questionable texture. Come to think of it I remember when I bought a sample of Joico K-pak and it was completely watery with white chunks..man this totally turns me off from Joico!!! Needless to say I threw these items OUT. Also went on a rampage and threw out nearly empty bottles of: aphogee 2 min, NTM Daily DC, Organix Coconut Milk Conditioner, Proclaim Aloe & Shea butter moisturizing condish.

Ladies please inspect your products before putting in your hair!!

Did you shake it first and it was still separated or did you just pour it out and it was separated. Not saying it wasn't bad, but products can separate because of heavier oils or items in the product.

Some companies put a lot of extra stuff into their product so it doesn't separate. So you have the benefit of the products not separating but you are also putting all of the xtra stuff in your hair.

Just sayin. Maybe?

Just took my crochet braid out and shampooing in a few minutes in which I will rid myself of some Suave Shea Butter and Almond shampoo.

Do any of you guys have recs for a good ALS/ALES based moisturizing shampoo? Herbal Essences reformulated my beloved HH and LTR shampoos and switched to SLS, which my hair usually hates. I have some shampoo samples to use in the meantime, but I would like to try something once these are all gone.

I don't have any recommendations. Anyone have anything?

Did you shake it first and it was still separated or did you just pour it out and it was separated. Not saying it wasn't bad, but products can separate because of heavier oils or items in the product.

Some companies put a lot of extra stuff into their product so it doesn't separate. So you have the benefit of the products not separating but you are also putting all of the xtra stuff in your hair.

Just sayin. Maybe?

It didn't say anything about shaking on the bottle. But that makes sense. From now on I will shake. Still turned off from Joico.

It didn't say anything about shaking on the bottle. But that makes sense. From now on I will shake. Still turned off from Joico.

I grew up pre-expiration dates. So we shook everything, smelled everything and tested everything. We didn't throw out nothing. :lachen:

No matter what it was, grandma would say, "ain't nothing wrong with that". :lol:

Purchased Oyin Frank Juice (full size) and sample size of Greg juice. I love juices and berries, but the sweet smell can a bit too much sometimes. And since I am almost out, need to restock. Oyin is a staple (as I am finding many products are). I will not start using the Frank or Greg til I came done with J&B. So that was my May purchase, and I'll say June too.

I finally decided on my May purchase. Ordered the Zen Detox Hair and Scalp Therapy. Hopefully I will get it by this weekend so I can experiment over the long weekend. :woohoo:

Come to think of it I remember when I bought a sample of Joico K-pak and it was completely watery with white chunks..man this totally turns me off from Joico!!!

AlliCat - ITA. My K-Pak was runny on 2 occassions too. But I did not purchase from a licensed supplier - so IDK. I shook mine up thinking thats how it was (i was probably wrong). But it didn't seem to do anything to my hair (but when using 50-11 different products each week and not sticking to one to see if you have results, how would I know?) Part of this challenge has made me look at dusty in the back stuff with a side eye.

I grew up pre-expiration dates. So we shook everything, smelled everything and tested everything. We didn't throw out nothing. :lachen:

No matter what it was, grandma would say, "ain't nothing wrong with that". :lol:

I'm sure pre-expiration date you didn't need to throw out anything because of good quality things. But nowadays companies are putting so much extra crap in products. Seems like nothing is made to last anymore :nono:

Here's my update...
red,italicized are the ones that are gone now... :grin::grin::grin:

- Shampoos
HE Degunkify
Nairobi Exquisite Hydrating Detangling Shampoo
T/Gel Shampoo - will probably toss...no more psoriasis since going natural
L'OREAL Vive Pro Hydra Gloss Shampoo
Alterna Caviar Moisture Shampoo
Kenra Clarifying Shampoo
DermOrganics Argan Oil Conditioning Shampoo
Mizani Thermasmooth Shampoo
Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus Shampoo (only 1 now)

- Conditioners
DermOrganics Argan Oil Masque
Suave Humecto
Suave Almond and Honey
Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner
Porosity Control Conditioner
Mane and Tail Original Conditioner (Only 1 now)
GVP Joico K-Pak
Alterna Caviar Moisture Conditioner
One 'N Only Moisture Repair Conditioner
Oyin HoneyHemp Conditioner
Aussie Moist
Inecto Pure Coconut Oil Conditioner
Mizani Thermasmooth Conditioner
Nourish Spa Conditioner (2)
Tresemme' Naturals Nourishing Moisture Conditioner
L'OREAL Vive Pro Hydra Gloss Moisturizing Conditioner (5) --they were on sale!
Organix Shea Butter Conditioner (2)
Organix Vanilla Silk Conditioner
Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus Conditioner (2)

-Deep Conditioners
One 'N Only Restorative Mask
Olive Oil Replenishing Conditioner
Alterna Caviar Hair Masque
Aubrey Organics HSR (Only 1 now)
Aubrey Organics Island Natural
Miss Jessie's Rapid Recovery Treatment
Lustrasilk Shea Butter and Mango
Lustrasilk Olive Oil
New (5/22): Silicon Mix
Alter Ego Garlic Treatment

- Leave Ins/Moisturizers
Miss Jessie's Curly Pudding
Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus Mist (2)
Biolage leave in
Design Essentials Therapeutics Leave- In
Mixed Silk Leave- In
Giovanni Direct leave- in
Qhemet Amla and Olive Heavy Cream
Qhemet Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee
Scurl (now 2 including 32 oz bottle)
DermOrganic Argan Oil Leave-In Treatment
Aphoghee Balancing Moisturizer

- Oils & Essential Oils & Butters
Wheat Germ Oil
Shea Moisture Reconstructive Elixir
JBCO
One 'N Only Argan Oil
Sweet Almond Oil
Peppermint Oil
Grape Seed Oil
Apricot Kernal Oil
Castor Oil
Jojoba Oil
Vegetable Glycerin
Pressing Oil (2)
EVOO
Claudie's Hair Elixir

- Styling products
Bumble and bumble Styling Creme
Kimble Hair Butter
Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie (now 6) thanks to the BOGO!!!!
One 'N Only Styling Cream
Aveda Anti-Humectant Pomade
Curls Curl Creme brule
Lock and Twist Gel
Olive Oil Smooth n hold pudding
Kinky Kurly Knot Today(Only 1 now)
Curl Gel-les'c
Eco Style olive oil Gel (Only 5lb bucket now)
Eco style Argan Oil Gel

- Other
KeraCare Styling Foam
Curls Passion Fruit Paste
Design Essentials Spritz
Mizani Spritz
Aphoghee Keratin and Green Tea Restructurizer
Joico K-Pak Reconstructor
Aphoghee 2 minute Reconstructor
Aphoghee 2-Step Protein Treatment
Nioxin Bliss Thermal Protector (2)
Mizani Thermasmooth Smoothing Serum
Mizani Thermasmooth Spritz
FHI Hotsauce (2)
Chi Iron Guard
Silk Elements Heat Protectant Spray
Nioxin Multi Vitamins
Simply One Pre-Natal Pills

Session 1 Starting Count: 114
As of 5/24: 96 (would have been 94 if I didn't purchase those 2 products)
Session 1 Ending Count : ?

Last edited:
I had to throw out the two KeraCare Foam Wrap-Set Lotions I had (they had both expired.) I went out and just had to buy the Roux Porosity Control Conditioner which I cannot wait to use.

This challenge is turning out to be very helpful, since I have to actually use up my products I am rediscovering why I hate, like or love certain things. With that said there are still some products that might get thrown out because I simply don't have a use for them or are just plain terrible for my hair. It feels awful having wasted money but it is teaching me to be more careful with my beauty product purchases.

Ladies you are doing a fantastic job. Keep it going. We still have more than 30 days left and there is much product to still be used up.

I think everyone will be very happy with their 1st pass results. Im looking forward to it.

I'm debating between a new jar of my staple DC or try to find a REALLY good moisturizer. Anybody have any moisturizer suggestions?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Long Hair Care Forum App

NikkiQ I know Cantu Shea butter is a favorite among the naturals. or maybe you could try Kimmaytubing one you already have?

I'm not a Kimmaytuber. I don't watch her videos so I'm not sure what that means lol

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Long Hair Care Forum App

With these cornrows in I want to use up: CHI Keratin Mist, surge, and Infusium 23 in the next 2 weeks. Totally do-able because they are all almost done and I'm heavy handed

Ladies you are doing a fantastic job. Keep it going. We still have more than 30 days left and there is much product to still be used up.

I think everyone will be very happy with their 1st pass results. Im looking forward to it.

Me too! I am certainly saving some $$ by curbing my pjism...

Sent from my DROIDX using DROIDX

My stash is really slimming out. I am so sad yet happy at the same time. I am getting out new Conditioners and Hair cleansers. I am watching it Dwindle. Soon maybe by my next session I should be good.

I am also happy to report THE PCA bought my moisture level to head. I am so happy now. I used Aphogee 2 minute, ORS Replenishing Pak and PCA and it was amazing. THe ORS works as a Moisturizer in my case. My hair feels like it's old self again.

Suave coconut condish gone. Taking a bottle of AOHSR condish on vacation with me this weekend so I'll probably blow through that by the time I get back. It's not a full bottle anyway.

My stash is really slimming out. I am so sad yet happy at the same time. I am getting out new Conditioners and Hair cleansers. I am watching it Dwindle. Soon maybe by my next session I should be good.

I am also happy to report THE PCA bought my moisture level to head. I am so happy now. I used Aphogee 2 minute, ORS Replenishing Pak and PCA and it was amazing. THe ORS works as a Moisturizer in my case. My hair feels like it's old self again.

hmm sounds good. I want to try that Aphogee 2 minute. And I have a full bottle of the PCA. Will put that on my list to try for June.

thanks

Ugh. Not really putting a dent in much product AND I SOOO WANT TO BUY SOMETHING!!! ALL THESE SALES ARE DRIVING ME NUTS!!! But July 4 is another major sale time, so I'll hold off. I need to start co-washing, and maybe dc 2x a week (time permitting) to get my stash down.

Ugh. Not really putting a dent in much product AND I SOOO WANT TO BUY SOMETHING!!! ALL THESE SALES ARE DRIVING ME NUTS!!! But July 4 is another major sale time, so I'll hold off. I need to start co-washing, and maybe dc 2x a week (time permitting) to get my stash down.

Deprivation is not good for most people. That is why we do have the 1 pass a month and a pass for length goals. Even if you decide not to use yours every month, give yourself some slack and use your pass on a regular basis.

When I buy 1 thing a month it really makes me think about what I want to buy and why. I am doing much better at picking quality products.

Something to consider.

I purchased the Aphogee 2 minute for May and will make the Zen Detox my June purchase. My hair is still drying but I like the way my hair felt after using it with my Elasta QP Shampoo.

Going to try using it every week until I put in extensions.

I put in some sunflower oil and castor oil and am letting it dry now. Going to style it with my Chicoro leave-in, PCA and some Khemistry gel.

Hopefully I can get rid of the Khemistry gel. :yep:

Thanks for the tip.

Deprivation is not good for most people. That is why we do have the 1 pass a month and a pass for length goals. Even if you decide not to use yours every month, give yourself some slack and use your pass on a regular basis.

When I buy 1 thing a month it really makes me think about what I want to buy and why. I am doing much better at picking quality products.

Something to consider.

faithVA - thanks. Trust me I use my pass - wisely. But I want more than 1 thing. That's my issue. But I will not allow myself to buy more stuff. I know what my june pass is, but I know something else will pop up that I want to try, so I just tell myself, i can always buy later & wait for sales.

@faithVA - thanks. Trust me I use my pass - wisely. But I want more than 1 thing. That's my issue. But I will not allow myself to buy more stuff. I know what my june pass is, but I know something else will pop up that I want to try, so I just tell myself, i can always buy later & wait for sales.

Ok I gotcha. U need to share these buys so I can live through u. :lol:

But yes I do still want to buy more than 1 thing but Im not sure why. And I still keep getting the temptation to just buy stuff and not tell you guys. I knew I had some closet eating tendencies but the shopping tendencies are new to me. :blush:

Back