Oh NO my PH.D Professor didn't!!!!!!

ITA!
I dont know if I could have kept my mouth shut on that one. I would have kindly asked her to provide evidence for that theory.. I dare she try to speak for ALL black people.

man im mad now.. cause she just gave out false information to ppl now they gonna go aroudn thinking they know about our hair and u know they gonna say well a black women said it so it must be true.. damn i cant wait to get to the length i want imma be acting a fool tool swinging my long hair all over the place... i wish somebody will say something to me... dang im made lol

I know for a fact I don't have fast growing hair at all. Asians do have some extremely fast growing hair. I have seen first hand. I had an Asian friend who had short hair at one point probably shorter than mine. I was also relaxed at the time. In about a year her hair grew so long and my hair seemed still at the same length despite of my taking care of it. My bf is Asian and he likes to shave his hair almost bald because it's receding. After a month his hair is back to the same length. If I shaved my hair almost bald there is no way my hair would in a month have grown a few inches that quick. So yeah I can see some truth to that statement. Black hair may grow slower but it doesn't mean it can't grow long it just takes more time to do it.

This would have been a good opportunity for you to share a different perspective. If people hear the same message/"facts" repeatedly, then you shouldn't expect them to believe otherwise. If the AA professor made the statement and none of the AA students disagreed, then your silence is viewed as agreement. You might have felt uncomfortable speaking out in class but that is preferable to feeling regret or anger later over the missed opportunity, IMHO.
I agree, except I believe it's never too late. The opportunity is still there to bring this topic up again and present a different view. :yep:

Everyone's entitled to their opinion. Perhaps the context was misunderstood. Maybe dry type 4ab hair is not meant to be long... And it's ok. As a black woman, I don't feel as if your Professor's opinon was a put down or an insult. I don't feel discredited. After your professor made this comment, did you stand up & tell everyone your point of view regarding black hair growth? It could have made for a worthwhile discussion.

Last night in class she had the nerve to open her mouth and tell the class that black folks hair do not grow as fast as white/spanish folks hair. (mind you....she is black with apl hair)

How could she put her race down like that!?:nono:

We all on this board know that it is not a matter of hair growth that causes our race (black) to not have "long hair" but it is a matter of retaining what you grow! Chemicals play a part in that! As well as dryness and coarseness. Everybody's hair normally grow .5 inches a month.

You should have seeeen the way the other races got amped and started flipping their hair around for the remainder of the night!:blush:

I know we can grow our hair long, I just felt she totally discredited us.

She is a ignorant ***** for thinking like that.:nono:

Random rant ova...

Prof was keeping it real. I am Black and my hair does not grow fast at all. I retain a lot of what I grow but it is taking its time in inching out of my scalp.

Nothing wrong with that. If she had said, Black people don't have long hair, then I would be insulted. But to say that our hair grows slower...well......

This would have been a good opportunity for you to share a different perspective. If people hear the same message/"facts" repeatedly, then you shouldn't expect them to believe otherwise. If the AA professor made the statement and none of the AA students disagreed, then your silence is viewed as agreement. You might have felt uncomfortable speaking out in class but that is preferable to feeling regret or anger later over the missed opportunity, IMHO.

I sooooooooooooo agree with this post.:yep:

Oooh, thank you for that!! I actually think I remember seeing this study too, but it was a while ago.
I wish those subscriptions weren't so STEEP - I'd be reading a couple of different journals!

Here's the abstract, in case anyone can't read it....

I would assume that they judged them from shaved, - the phototrichograms here are clearly done on bald scalps.

Even though they are done on shaved scalps, I need to know more information in order to just say, "yep, this study is truth."

What were the eating habits of these men and how long have they been eating a certain way?

Did they take any nutritional supplements and for how long?

Was there ever any type of injury or trauma to their scalp?

Did they ever use any chemicals i.e. dyes, s-curl kits, relaxers, perms, etc.?

There are so many factors people should take into account before accepting these "studies" as truth. I just read that people in Africa have lower IQ's than African-Americans. Now racist folks are running with this saying a whole lot and that is why I generally take these things with a grain of salt because I don't know all the facts.

oooh no she didn't! :lachen:wow! i would have had to bit my tongue (taking into consideration she is your prof) but she obviously knows nothing about hair growth! what program does she teach? please don't tell me medicine or science...cause her ass needs to fired! :wallbash:

its black people like her who put white people on pedestals and dis their own race!

Even though they are done on shaved scalps, I need to know more information in order to just say, "yep, this study is truth."

What were the eating habits of these men and how long have they been eating a certain way?

Did they take any nutritional supplements and for how long?

Was there ever any type of injury or trauma to their scalp?

Did they ever use any chemicals i.e. dyes, s-curl kits, relaxers, perms, etc.?

There are so many factors people should take into account before accepting these "studies" as truth. I just read that people in Africa have lower IQ's than African-Americans. Now racist folks are running with this saying a whole lot and that is why I generally take these things with a grain of salt because I don't know all the facts.

Considered IQ tests are based on Western Thought, I'm not suprised that Africans got a lower score - that doesn't mean a thing about their actual intelligence. *shrug* They are notoriously falliable tests. :rolleyes:

As far as the hair study, if it is that unsettling/insulting to accept that the avarage African grows hair slower than other races, don't accept it....or fund a study of your own. ;)

I can't stand when people talk like that, especially Black people. I remember when my old roommate was teaching her Indian friend about Naps. She had her friend thinking that it was cool to tell Black people that their hair was nappy.

Considered IQ tests are based on Western Thought, I'm not suprised that Africans got a lower score - that doesn't mean a thing about their actual intelligence. *shrug* They are notoriously falliable tests. :rolleyes:

As far as the hair study, if it is that unsettling/insulting to accept that the avarage African grows hair slower than other races, don't accept it....or fund a study of your own. ;)

They actually did other "tests" on middle-class African-Americans or "well-to-do Blacks" and the results were the same. They scored the same as African-Americans in less than perfect socioeconomic situations which was 85, while whites at the same socioeconomic status scored around 110. Now, if I were to accept this as truth without critically thinking about the factors which may not have been equal or caused the results to differ, I would think: "Well, there it is. Scientific "studies" have proven that blacks just aren't genetically smarter than whites."

But because as an individual who loves to think critically I may ask,

"Hmmm, what were the eating habits of or diets of these individuals?"

"Did any of these kids ever take an IQ test before which may have prepared them more for the test or exposed them to it more?"

"Were the kids living in a stable home or was there some type of trauma such as a divorce going on?

These are the questions we should ask before accepting anything as truth. Asking questions are important factors in critical thinking as we know every year, scientists always come up with different "studies" proving something (or rather "nothing"). One year we can drink coffee and our life span is increased 5 years and the next, coffee will give you cancer.:spinning:

So, yes it unsettling that people can come up with these studies with no mentioning of important information/factors. I guess Loreal just expects the people who read this study to accept it as truth without critically thinking and maybe for some people, they are right. Furthermore, I don't accept it because I am African-American and my hair grows a little more than .5 inches per month;I guess I can attribute that to my non-black blood (according to this study).:perplexed If it is settling to you to look at a study and accept it for whatever reasons of your own personal hair growth, then that is cool but I can't.

I have no personal reasons to feel slighted but when I see a study generalize a group of people who look like me, I have to ask, "What is next?" What other differences are they going to find? Perhaps, next it will be that we aren't truly human but just above apes and just below humans. Ooops, I forgot, they already tried that and it worked;remembering slavery for 400 years.:look:

They actually did other "tests" on middle-class African-Americans or "well-to-do Blacks" and the results were the same. They scored the same as African-Americans in less than perfect socioeconomic situations which was 85, while whites at the same socioeconomic status scored around 110. Now, if I were to accept this as truth without critically thinking about the factors which may not have been equal or caused the results to differ, I would think: "Well, there it is. Scientific "studies" have proven that blacks just aren't genetically smarter than whites."

But because as an individual who loves to think critically I may ask,

"Hmmm, what were the eating habits of or diets of these individuals?"

"Did any of these kids ever take an IQ test before which may have prepared them more for the test or exposed them to it more?"

"Were the kids living in a stable home or was there some type of trauma such as a divorce going on?

These are the questions we should ask before accepting anything as truth. Asking questions are important factors in critical thinking as we know every year, scientists always come up with different "studies" proving something (or rather "nothing"). One year we can drink coffee and our life span is increased 5 years and the next, coffee will give you cancer.:spinning:

So, yes it unsettling that people can come up with these studies with no mentioning of important information/factors. I guess Loreal just expects the people who read this study to accept it as truth without critically thinking and maybe for some people, they are right. Furthermore, I don't accept it because I am African-American and my hair grows a little more than .5 inches per month;I guess I can attribute that to my non-black blood (according to this study).:perplexed If it is settling to you to look at a study and accept it for whatever reasons of your own personal hair growth, then that is cool but I can't.

I have no personal reasons to feel slighted but when I see a study generalize a group of people who look like me, I have to ask, "What is next?" What other differences are they going to find? Perhaps, next it will be that we aren't truly human but just above apes and just below humans. Ooops, I forgot, they already tried that and it worked;remembering slavery for 400 years.:look:

I suspect we are talking at cross-purposes, so I'm gonna say one or two more things and then leave this be - the information is here for people to see and interpet as they please......

1) What a study might/might not indicate - esp. with such a small study group (19 people) and taking into account averages, tends to have little to no impact on a specific person in a specific group. So, saying that a study has shown that africans on average grow 1/3 of an inch a month doesn't say anything about a specific african (or person of african descent). That's just the nature of studies - any study that states XYZ is 'average' doesn't limit (maximum or minimum) the potential of a individual.

2) IQ tests are flawed - period - but then, I guess since other studies showed that, we shouldn't trust them, either, eh?

You can find a study that 'proves' or 'disproves' anything. Personally, a study that 'proves' that africans on average grow hair slower means NOTHING to my hair journey - averages don't translate to individuals..... I was just offering that information to demonstrate WHY and HOW the Ph.D professor wasn't talking outta her neck/lying without reason/purposefully putting her race down as the OP implied.

*shrug*

I suspect we are talking at cross-purposes, so I'm gonna say one or two more things and then leave this be - the information is here for people to see and interpet as they please......

1) What a study might/might not indicate - esp. with such a small study group (19 people) and taking into account averages, tends to have little to no impact on a specific person in a specific group. So, saying that a study has shown that africans on average grow 1/3 of an inch a month doesn't say anything about a specific african (or person of african descent). That's just the nature of studies - any study that states XYZ is 'average' doesn't limit (maximum or minimum) the potential of a individual.

2) IQ tests are flawed - period - but then, I guess since other studies showed that, we shouldn't trust them, either, eh?

You can find a study that 'proves' or 'disproves' anything. Personally, a study that 'proves' that africans on average grow hair slower means NOTHING to my hair journey - averages don't translate to individuals..... I was just offering that information to demonstrate WHY and HOW the Ph.D professor wasn't talking outta her neck/lying without reason/purposefully putting her race down as the OP implied.

*shrug*

I like this post...:yep:

I can't stand when people talk like that, especially Black people. I remember when my old roommate was teaching her Indian friend about Naps. She had her friend thinking that it was cool to tell Black people that their hair was nappy.

I also hate this. I go to a school that isn't in such a great neighborhood, and there are many misconceptions. I hear so much crazy stuff. Did you know some girls don't believe they have a relaxer anymore if they hadn't gotten one in two months??? :shocked::nono:

Last edited:

True, it doesn't limit the maximum or minimum but people within that subject group often don't fall within the outliers. They are usually the average. Just like most African Americans are not a 1 type hair but prob. fall somewhere between 3a-4z.

Maybe we should, maybe we shouldn't? I would have to know why these tests prove that IQ tests are flawed. I never heard that.

*shrug*

It may not mean anything to your hair journey but there are many people lurking and newbies or just plain ole' skeptical that will take this study with and run with it. When you post a study like this, in this thread, it seems as if you agree with what her professor was saying or somehow are validating her opinions as facts. That's why I am very careful when stating certain things about studies because a person already teetering on the borderline of believing in black hair growth can take this and run with it. But then again, we can't worry about what everyone will do, right?:yep: I just think that a black hair revolution is the beginning of black women beginning to accept that black women aren't physically inferior which will carry on in other positive ways also. The future of that possibility is uplifting to me in itself.

My response is in the bolded.

I know for a fact I don't have fast growing hair at all. Asians do have some extremely fast growing hair. I have seen first hand. I had an Asian friend who had short hair at one point probably shorter than mine. I was also relaxed at the time. In about a year her hair grew so long and my hair seemed still at the same length despite of my taking care of it. My bf is Asian and he likes to shave his hair almost bald because it's receding. After a month his hair is back to the same length. If I shaved my hair almost bald there is no way my hair would in a month have grown a few inches that quick. So yeah I can see some truth to that statement. Black hair may grow slower but it doesn't mean it can't grow long it just takes more time to do it.

OMG they DO. That ish is CRAZY. I witnessed that crap in high school. They'd come to school at the beginning of the year with chin-length hair and by summer it'd be MBL to waist-length and they'd complain about how fast their hair grows. And the black girls would just glare.

I don't know if it's their genes, their diet, a combination or what. I just know it's freaky.

She may have been incorrect but I would not have been bothered, either. Even if it was true, so what? My hair grows slower and what? That makes me a lesser being? Inhuman? I don't get it. I don't see how that is offensive, true or not.

ITA why do we feel that having slower growing hair is offensive. Why is long hair better? Even if it's not slower growing most AA women with AFro textured hair (type 4) do not reach lengths as quickly and easily as other races. I am growing my hair long for myself because I think I'll look good w/long hair, not to prove someone wrong or as a badge of honor.

That is just ignorant, misinforming people like that. Did you get up and say "excuse me, I beg to differ..." and give your reasons why like you did in your original post?

:look:
I wouldn't call the professor out ya'll - the average growth rate of african peoples IS slower than the average growth rate of Asian and Caucasoid peoples - that's been researched and demonstrated.....

Just like the average height of Asian people is less than the average height of Caucasoid people - still doesn't stop some Asian people from being tall.

The fact that our hair grows slower won't stop us from having long hair, either - nor does it mean that our hair doesn't grow faster than the white girl across the room from you - averages rarely play out perfectly once narrowed down to individuals.

Point well taken Nappywomyn.

I wouldn't call the professor out ya'll - the average growth rate of african peoples IS slower than the average growth rate of Asian and Caucasoid peoples - that's been researched and demonstrated.....

Just like the average height of Asian people is less than the average height of Caucasoid people - still doesn't stop some Asian people from being tall.

The fact that our hair grows slower won't stop us from having long hair, either - nor does it mean that our hair doesn't grow faster than the white girl across the room from you - averages rarely play out perfectly once narrowed down to individuals.
I agree, Also our hair grows 1/4 an inch each month. It only grows 1/2 and or more if your healthier or your getting all the vitamins or whatever you need. My hair only grows 1/4 an inch, but when I was eating healthier and working out it was growing between 1/2 and 3/4 an inch

I agree. I think you should send her the fotkis of those who have hair just as long or longer than hers and tell her that in the future you would appreciate her doing a little bit of research (something a PhD should know how to do) before making generalizations.

ARR

ITA why do we feel that having slower growing hair is offensive. Why is long hair better? Even if it's not slower growing most AA women with AFro textured hair (type 4) do not reach lengths as quickly and easily as other races. I am growing my hair long for myself because I think I'll look good w/long hair, not to prove someone wrong or as a badge of honor.

Thank you! I think this speaks to the issues we have with ourselves as a people.

What's the big deal if our hair grows slower? As for those who point out taking vitamins, eating the optimal green diet and doing cardio 4x a time will grow faster, umm yeah, but how many people on the average do that.

Even if you control for those variables, black people's hair will most likely grow slower than our caucasian and asian counterpart.

This fact still doesn't mean you can't have MacherieAmour or Candy C's hair.

Thank you! I think this speaks to the issues we have with ourselves as a people.

What's the big deal if our hair grows slower? As for those who point out taking vitamins, eating the optimal green diet and doing cardio 4x a time will grow faster, umm yeah, but how many people on the average do that.

Even if you control for those variables, black people's hair will most likely grow slower than our caucasian and asian counterpart.

This fact still doesn't mean you can't have MacherieAmour or Candy C's hair.

Yeah, it's not that big a deal, I don't think, if on average black folk's hair grows slower.

Anyway, I just read the full article. It's so short. I'm so used to being in the humanities, where articles are getting longer and longer. This was only 4 pages. It was interesting, though I'm not inclined to call it conclusive. It was not a long term study, but done just over 2 days. And it didn't say whether the study done on the white volunteers was done at the same time of year. I feel like our hair and nails, on average, grow faster at some times of years than others. They did not control for variables like exercise and diet, but they did say all volunteers were "healthy and free from any systemic or cutaneous disease."

They also made reference to some of their earlier unpublished work and also work done by others. They also found that, on average, africans have a lower density than caucasians (I think I read somewhere else that Asians have the lowest?), though the hair density varied among individuals greatly. Like, a lot. Like, some people had 3 times as many hairs on a given spot than some other people. Anyway, the general trend difference in scalp density between Africans and Caucasians was in line with two other studies they cited.

Men were more prone to alopecia (no surprise there).

Though the sample was too small to say anything definitively, the participants over 35 had a slower growth rate.

Let's see . . . hair growth rates did not differ significantly between men and women (I think it was the same for white people), but "women showed a higher hair density in the occipital region than men, and a lower one at the temporal site."

Ummm, what else . .. oh yes, "telogen" hairs. I take this to mean hairs in the telogen, i.e. non-growing, phase. On average, men had more hairs in this phase than women, and Africans had more hairs in this phase than Caucasians.

Then there was a note on "global hair volume," where I didn't fully understand what the numbers referred to, so I'll just copy and paste:
As far as global hair `volume' is concerned, an index
may be estimated by multiplying hair density by the
rate of hair growth, integrating both factors. Such an
index would lead to a nearly twofold difference in hair
`volume' between the two populations, for both sexes
(53,040 vs. 96,471 in Africans and caucasians,
respectively, based on data found on the vertex).
However, this crude and theoretical index does not
take into account additional factors such as curliness,
which plays a great part in the visual perception of
global hair `volume'.

Okay, make of it what you will. If you are able to read it for yourself and want it, it's by Loussouarn, 2001, the British Journal of Dermatology, Vol. 145 issue 2.

Maybe it is just me, but I find it offensive (even though I am the exception) that people who have these "studies" about black folk always tend to find something so different about us. If there was an objective study that found out African-Americans with some type 4 hair grows slower, then that may have been just the way God designed them.

I mean, the way I look at it, if African-American hair grows slower, then maybe we (not just talking about type 4) weren't meant to have long hair. I am speaking generally and not about myself since my hair grows more than 1/2 inch per month, though I don't know my terminal length. But if we were to speak in general, then maybe it is true that black women just weren't meant to have long hair. I mean, wow, that is less than 1/2 of the norm and I can't believe how people think a person's diet and other factors should not be considered when people do these studies.:nono:

But then, when these same studies are doing trying to prove why black people are paid less money than their white counterparts, we don't readily accept it? I mean, I wonder what is the difference? Our own personal view.

We accept that a study says black folks hair grows slower, yet I and many other people have even higher growths. But we don't accept studies done on IQ that say black folks just aren't as smart as whites, yet there are a significant number of people that do have low IQs and are black. The point I am trying to get to is if you can personally say, "yep, I have slower growth so that study was right about me." But to say something applies to the average African-American or accept it as full truth without asking any important questions is well,.....scary.:perplexed

i find this very offensive it some how makes it seem we are less human... people have all these misconceptions about black people and this is one of them. The FACT is our hair does not GROW SLOWER than other RACES!PLEASE show me statistics that black peoples hair grows slower??? please and ill shut up:sad:

Last edited:

maybe i am unrealistic or ignorant but i really don't believe that.

as far as i've seen from studies hair grows the same length for the MOST part but texture, dryness, and how fragile your hair naturally is makes it harder to retain length. i really do not believe that afro textured hair grows slower than everyone else's . i think it has the appearance of doing so. again my opinion

I agree with some posts above. I think the average growth rate of African Americans is not as fast as some ethinicities. I'm not talking about retention. I know some people don't retain the growth. I'm talking about growth rate. When I look at my NG after 4 months, it is not 2 inches. If everyone's growth rate was .5 inches wouldn't I have 2 inches??? It's not insult in my opinion to say the average African American's growth rate is not as fast as others. I do think the average growth rate of African Americans is slower. You're professor was not totally wrong. I know everyone's growth rate is not .5 inches.

Last edited:
I think she just made an over-general statement. That's what bothered me.

I agree with this statement. All black hair doesn't not grow slower than White/Hispanic hair. Some does...somes doesn't. However, I do think the average growth rate is less, though.

Last edited:
Back