Twist for Growth Challenge (Fall 2011)

Yep. It still looks fresh. I dont disturb my curls either. Lord give me the strength to wash and twist tonight. I don't see myself doing it. :nono:

Ok splain to me. My hair isn't long enough to pineapple so when I go to sleep I still put on my bonnet. But my girls then get pushed up. So how are you guys sleeping on your twist outs. And do you have to stretch your hair out in the morning?

I could use some tips.

pookaloo83 you sure you can't push off washing til you feel better?

faithVA on the first couple nights, I tie a scarf loosely around the perimeter, then put a bonnet on for the rest and i sleep on my back so nothing on the sides gets too smushed. I put on a shower cap in the shower to prevent frizzies, but in the bathroom while it's still steamy, I shake my hair to fluff it out. When I don't care as much anymore, I just pop the bonnet on and snooze. Pineappling was always a fail to me.

Here's a vid for reference: http://youtu.be/BS3hBqmZeak

I think I'm gonna wash tonight and let it airdry overnight. My boss said I don't have to come in tomorrow. I'm gonna call and make sure. If I do, I'll rock a braidout and twist after work. If not, I'll airdry in braids and twist in the morning,

I put my mini twists in 4 sections, spritzed each with aloe vera juice and applied a little of my coconut ginger whipped shea butter. Then I flat twisted each section and bantu knotted the ends. I unraveled in the morning; my hair was soo curly and soft. I will redo this tonight after my workout.

Attachments

• IMG_0372.jpg
    IMG_0372.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0369.jpg
    IMG_0369.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0368.jpg
    IMG_0368.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0371.jpg
    IMG_0371.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0374.jpg
    IMG_0374.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Tonight I will be doing some experimenting with taking my twists down and putting curlers on conditioner soaked stretched hair. If it doesn't look right, I'll have to blow dry my hair for an event in December, and I'd really prefer not to. Either way, I'll be washing and retwisting tomorrow night.

faithVA I don't pineapple either. I put my hair in a low pony, tie a silk scarf around my hair--leaving the pony sticking out. Once it's secure, I take the hair tie out. Then I cover with a satin bonnet. When I wait up. my hair is still pretty stretched b/c the scarf held it pretty taut.

HTH

@faithVA I don't pineapple either. I put my hair in a low pony, tie a silk scarf around my hair--leaving the pony sticking out. Once it's secure, I take the hair tie out. Then I cover with a satin bonnet. When I wait up. my hair is still pretty stretched b/c the scarf held it pretty taut.

HTH

Thanks, maybe my hair is still too short for all of these. My hair won't be long enough for a low pony for many more months. And its pretty dense so trying to get it back, um not sure. Maybe I can try a high one and a low one but not sure. I guess I'm in that in between stage - too long for the bonnet but not long enough to secure any other way yet.

I did this last set of twists too loose; most of my twists in the back are only 2/3 of the way twisted now. LOL

Rocking medium twists that took much longer than I expected to put in. The one good thing is that I managed to thoroughly detangle as I twisted. I have officially added castor oil to my staples list (I have no other hard and fast staples yet, haha), but because I live in a very humid environment my hair really seems to respond well to castor oil as a sealer/humectant.

Is castor oil a heavier sealant that EVOO? I coat the ends of my twists with EVOO to seal in moisture but I think something heavier may work better.

Hi Ladies!

I haven't posted in a while but I've been reading the updates. I'm still in my mohawk twist-updo. It's going on 4 weeks which is great for me. My twist styles usually only last 2-3 weeks. I plan to take them out and deep condition this weekend. My next still will be medium twists on wet hair. I'm hoping they will shrink into short twists that I can wear out without having to do much to them. As long as I add EVOO to them everyday, I won't have a problem with detangling when it's time to take them out.

So I washed last night and put it in celie braids to dry overnight. I just finished twisting not too long ago. But the ends look kinda funny so I'm About to take my shower and let the steam curl up the ends. Next week I will wash in the twists and retwist. No twistout for next week since I've been a bad girl. :lol: I'll post pics tomorrow.

It worked it worked!!! I took my twists down, saturated each piece in conditioner (a little too much conditioner, I have white clumps that didn't look good, good thing this was practice) and I had the easiest time with my curlformers. My hair is sooo straight and silky. I can't wait until December 10th to try it again. Here are some pictures!

photo1.jpg

photo2-1.jpg

photo-2.jpg

It worked it worked!!! I took my twists down, saturated each piece in conditioner (a little too much conditioner, I have white clumps that didn't look good, good thing this was practice) and I had the easiest time with my curlformers. My hair is sooo straight and silky. I can't wait until December 10th to try it again. Here are some pictures!

That's really cute. I want goldilock braids like that :grin:

photo1.jpg

photo2-1.jpg

photo-2.jpg
[/QUOT
It came out pretty? So you did all that to put it in braids? It was so pretty, what's your heir type cch24

cch24 :drool: :love: :love: :drool:

Did you airdry your curlformers? Which set did you purchase?

NappyNelle - I sat under the dryer for about 90 minutes because I started fairly late. I'm sure they could be airdried since my hair was technically not "wet". I just took my twists out and applied conditioner.

ETA: I used the extra long and wide curlformers. 32 for my whole head. I really wish they would make some extra long and extra wide so you could have a looser curl sometimes.

It came out pretty? So you did all that to put it in braids? It was so pretty, what's your heir type cch24

pookaloo83 - I was just trying to see if it would work, so it was a trial run for my event in December. I did want to flounce around once my curls were set, but it was late and I had class early this morning. I have a 3c curl pattern but my texture is super cottony. I always compare my hair to Empressri's hair.

Last edited:
Been wearing my hair in a french roll and imma call it a twist! Word. My hair is thriving BUT every time my scalp is exposed to the air for more than 3 days....I have issues. Small twists have suddenly become inconvenient.

Today is wash day! I can't wait to get rid of these kids and mud my hair!

Oh and i've got the usual itch to straighten my hair. I'm trying hard to resist but I really need to guage my progress (if any). after spending the end of 2010 and much of 11 trimming away damage i'm excited to see what i'm working with to start off 2012.

Last edited:
This whole post is funny

Been wearing my hair in a french roll and imma call it a twist! Word.
:look:

Today is wash day! I can't wait to get rid of these kids and mud my hair!
:look:

after spending the end of 2010 and much of 11 trimming away damage i'm excited to see what i'm working with to start off 2012.
-- I am with you on this one. I did the same thing. We are going to have some swanging hair for the summer.

did my twists yesterday... I'm so shocked they look like kinky twists !!!!!!!!!!!!! my hair get a great improvement in 2011, I use to have fine hair with not so much density... now i'm so shocked I don't know what to say lol *emotion:drunk:*

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

on pic 2 shrinkage is getting in da place :yawn:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

new set of twists

I had just taken them out of 2 pig tails so there's a line down the middle
twisted with darcy botanicals avocado and honey twisting creme mixed with kinky curly curling custard

Attachments

• twists nov 2011.JPG
    twists nov 2011.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 50
Today was a LONG day. I undid my twists last night and oiled them, then covered with AO GPB overnight.

I rinsed super thoroughly this morning and then did a bentonite/rhassoul clay treatment, which I left on for 45 minutes. Rinsed that, did an oil rinse followed by co-wash with Wen Ginger Pumpkin, and finalized with acv rinse. I used Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Mask as a leave-in, sealed with a butter blend, and then decided to use CON Argan Oil foam wrap to give some hold while twisting (I avoid gel if I can).

I used Nonie's method of twisting the individual strands one way and then twisting them together to help prevent the shed hair issue I have. I have to say this is the best set of twists I've ever done, even my SO says they look great, but my word they took 6 hours to do. I have to take breaks, but it was still maddening. I'll see how my hair goes for the next 3 weeks; if they still look good I'll leave them in for a 4th week.

Back