Twist, Braid, Bun for Growth Challenge (1/1/13 - 3/31/13)

I straightened my hair today....my SO wants to run the fingers thru the hair Friday night after our vday dinner. I blow dried then flat ironed w/ a chi. I think I'm APL.

image-4131929211.jpg

image-1726860240.jpg

image-3359855329.jpg

Attachments

• image-3807199690.jpg
    image-3807199690.jpg
    477 KB · Views: 33
1370ae7cb586693101705426f7824f6f_0009.jpg

ecbf36fb7707c5a52f3d7ea3b32a1c3b_0009.jpg

fea227d5818f44dd9b792edc325af3280001.jpg

39da447dfab24abfac3f4878d00fc1150001.jpg

a748ae734f714f7bbe0a190c642777260004.jpg

I washed my hair and blowdried monday.
Its been in a a twisted out- bun since then.

I think I'm going to do some mini braids when I get home on my stretched hair... or I might wait until Monday to do them on freshly washed hair.

If I end up doing the mini braids, I hope they can last at least 3 weeks.. with me DCing in them once each week.

Been in a bun most of the week and only rocked a French braid on Monday. I've become so hair lazy. I was supposed to henna over a week ago and still haven't done it. I did manage to put some sulphur oil on my scalp and moisture and seal before I tied my hair down. I've been trying to fighta cold coming on and it has been feeling all blah like.

Need a good shampoo and condition day on tomorrow. Here's to trying to henna and deep condition tomorrow.

Valentine's Day hair--I unbraided the mini braids from most of the front area of my head, detangled, moisturized, and sealed, and did a flat twistout. I put the back mini braids into a sock bun. I was surprised that my hair had grown enough so that it would cover the sock bun even while braided. The rest of my mini braids will be taken out next Friday. I have had them in for about 5 weeks.

df69c514-1989-46a4-8584-78f357bda751_zps0606ec51.jpg

jesusislove1526
It sounds really cute, can you post a bigger picture?
What are you going to do after you take out the mini braids?

How I have been wearing my hair since Valentine's Day. I took out the donut bun because I had to DC and cowash. I'm going to keep it between these two styles until Friday.

5f2d4843-911a-44e7-90ed-47d450b5d94f_zpsb7840eb4.jpg

f9a69e5d-d785-43e3-a56d-9ed70afbc4ba_zpsca573d69.jpg

Soooo I bit the bullet and decided to do mini braids.

I started Friday night and finished Saturday.
Total time was around 7 hrs (while multitasking and watching TV).

I decided to do them on a 4 day old stretched hair.

Lets see, where do I start..:drunk:

My hair is reallllllly FINE, and I see too much scalp for my taste. So I feel bald-headed :sad:..:lol:

Bald feeling and all, these suckers are staying in for 4 weeks, so I'm going to just have to deal.wit.it.

Last edited:
pics-

I did not part my hair neatly..some boxes are kind big.. I just grabbed, detangled and braided.

If this 4 week plan goes well, then on my next set I will do better with the parting.

The 2 first pictures are how I normally wear my hair (Protective styled..braided-out bun) and the other 2 are my scalpy mini braids :angry2: with my ends tucked away.

I hope after my 1st wash/dc they they look a little fuller.

bun 1.JPG

bun 2.JPG

minibraid 1.JPG

Soooo Scallllpy
:drunk:

View attachment minibraid 1b.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks @Igotstripes !!!

I followed the advice from a member here who is an expert mini braider.

Her LHCF name escapes me right now, but her blog is: http://minibraidmethod.com/

She advises that the base of your braids should not be tight, but the braids themselves must be braided tightly to avoid frizz, and for them to last longer.

This is from her Top 5 mistakes made when braiding:

1. Not braiding tight enough

I’ve harped on this point many times already. This is by far the biggest mistake made when putting in mini braids. See my article on proper braiding technique. Tight braiding is important for a number of reasons- especially frizz prevention. The length of the braid should be tight while the root should have no tension on it. Tight braids will be stiff to the tough and very skinny in size.

@Igotstripes

I followed the advice from a member here who is an expert mini braider.

Her LHCF name escapes me right now, but her blog is: http://minibraidmethod.com/

She advises that the base of your braids should not be tight, but the braids themselves must be braided tightly to avoid frizz, and for them to last longer.

This is from her Top 5 mistakes made when braiding:

1. Not braiding tight enough

I’ve harped on this point many times already. This is by far the biggest mistake made when putting in mini braids. See my article on proper braiding technique. Tight braiding is important for a number of reasons- especially frizz prevention. The length of the braid should be tight while the root should have no tension on it. Tight braids will be stiff to the tough and very skinny in size.

It is manter26. There are also threads for mini braid challenges started by her.

Sorry for the crazy look... I've been wearing a top bun on stretched hair. I've been air drying my hair in twist and using the smoothing technique to place the bun.

image-3335723149.jpg

Hey there ladies!!!

I realize that I am late for this, but seeing as I am doing this for a personal challenge, I might as well join in here (if you let me, lol). I got my hair braided on Saturday in conrows and they will be in for a month. I apply a mix of MT & JBCO oil to my scalp twice a day. My hair loves moisture and by doing it this way, my hair gets what it wants & it returns the favor by giving me what I want: LONGER hair! I co-wash nightly after my workout.

Attached is a pic of my hair right now and what it will look like for the next 30 days.

Attachments

• 20130216_175717.jpg
    20130216_175717.jpg
    512.7 KB · Views: 45
Got my hair cornrowed. Plan to keep them for two weeks, then rebraid. Dusted my ends also.

I can tell my hair is growing, but I haven't done a length check.

I did a banana and avocado mask under a plastic cap for a couple of hours last night and did bantu knots overnight... today I will oil my scalp then back to twists for the next week or so

Hey there ladies!!!

I realize that I am late for this, but seeing as I am doing this for a personal challenge, I might as well join in here (if you let me, lol). I got my hair braided on Saturday in conrows and they will be in for a month. I apply a mix of MT & JBCO oil to my scalp twice a day. My hair loves moisture and by doing it this way, my hair gets what it wants & it returns the favor by giving me what I want: LONGER hair! I co-wash nightly after my workout.

Attached is a pic of my hair right now and what it will look like for the next 30 days.

Lovingmywaves12 Welcome! You aren't late! The challenge restarts every 2 months, so you can really hop in whenever you want to. Glad to have you here!!!

Back