TWA Support Thread

Hairfinity vitamins are definitely messing up my bodys balance despite taking them with food and upping my water intake smh how do people do this

i just take naturemade liquid-gel vitamins. much easier on my stomach. perhaps just a regular vitamin is enough?

Okay so I'm back beginning to think that finger is not for me. Im still going to finger detangle but then run a wide tooth comb at the end to smooth the hair out.

Really upset. Hit a major set back with the denman :( Did a mild protein treatment and it didn't help. Some of my ends in the back are completely straight. My curls are really loose and there is a lot of breakage in some areas:
tumblr_mw2q2viQqe1sk0g5xo1_250.jpg

tumblr_mw2q2viQqe1sk0g5xo2_1280.jpg

Once again it is undefined with I shingle and most of my hair when I stretch it looks like the 2nd pic. Going to try a longer protein treatment tonight. I don't know if it was a combination of the penman and the fact that I have been stretching my hair for two weeks? Or I just need to do a longer protein treatment to balance the elasticity. I don't know.

Smiley79: I will
faithVA: Yesterday I used 4 naturals which is the normal one I use. I let it set for 5 minutes but it didn't do much. Tonight I used Nubian Heritage EVOO and Moringa and left it on for 5 minutes and it feels a little better, the curls feel a bit better. I am going to do another 5 minute treatment next time I wash to make and just keep going that to make sure that I don't get a protein overload.

My wash and go was an epic fail this morning (style wise). I love how fresh and moisturized my hair feels after cowashing...it's what happens once I get out the shower that turns into disaster, lol. I need to figure out the right products and techniques for my hair for a successful and quick wash and go in the morning. Hmmm, maybe I should try it at night.

No w that I have my regimen perfected for my hair when dry, I really want to try to master wash and gos.

My wash and go was an epic fail this morning (style wise). I love how fresh and moisturized my hair feels after cowashing...it's what happens once I get out the shower that turns into disaster, lol. I need to figure out the right products and techniques for my hair for a successful and quick wash and go in the morning. Hmmm, maybe I should try it at night. No w that I have my regimen perfected for my hair when dry, I really want to try to master wash and gos.

Naptural85 has a video on night time wash and go that is simple. My hair is getting a little longer and it's taking me longer to do a wash and go in the morning. The term wash and go misleads us into thinking it will be quick. That is only true when you have an inch of hair. As for products look at the ingredients of the product your hair likes and buy products with those ingredients.

Smiley79: I will
faithVA: Yesterday I used 4 naturals which is the normal one I use. I let it set for 5 minutes but it didn't do much. Tonight I used Nubian Heritage EVOO and Moringa and left it on for 5 minutes and it feels a little better, the curls feel a bit better. I am going to do another 5 minute treatment next time I wash to make and just keep going that to make sure that I don't get a protein overload.

Let us know how it goes. It should improve over time.

Naptural85 has a video on night time wash and go that is simple. My hair is getting a little longer and it's taking me longer to do a wash and go in the morning. The term wash and go misleads us into thinking it will be quick. That is only true when you have an inch of hair. As for products look at the ingredients of the product your hair likes and buy products with those ingredients.

Thank you Cocoloves! :)

So I finally modified my denman. I am going to hold on to it for the time being and I may try it one last time modified before I swear to never use this again really like how smooth it left my hair but the damage not so much. I also will try doing a different technique when I do use it, finger detangle, wide tooth comb and THEN denman but only when I want my hair smoother.

Yesterday I did my 94 year old aunt's natural hair. She has is at point in her life that doing her own hair is not something she likes to do. I understand though.

I cut her hair back in July as it is very think and course in the back with a tender scalp. A wide tooth comb struggles to get through that part of her hair. Her hair is thinned out in the front. After I wash, condition moisturize, seal, and braid her hair she doesn't touch at all. I wash her every month or so because it takes so much to do it with her scalp tenderness.

I noticed yesterday that her hair grew some 4 inches since then. I am really beginning to think less is better. I just have figure out how much less is better for me.

I noticed yesterday that her hair grew some 4 inches since then. I am really beginning to think less is better. I just have figure out how much less is better for me.

i have to agree. when i moved overseas in 2011, my daughter(24) had a shaved head. not twa, but buzz-cut-one-razor-stroke-from-bald shaved. she spent most of the time in hats. washed only once or twice a month. deep conditioned occasionally. when she was able to twist it, she (occasionally) used the kimmaytube mix, or just straight coconut oil and left it alone. the only reason she bothered to comb her hair was because, if she didn't, it would dread.

saturday, i blew out her hair and flat ironed what normally looks like barely shoulder length twists--its now almost mid-back length. and i only had to trim 1/4 of split ends.

yes, there is something to low/no manipulation.

Super Excited. I think I found someone with a similar pattern as mine. Her first option is pretty much what mine does after a wash and go, except I don't diffuse so my hair is really frizzy when it dries...looking into getting a diffuser for christmas though. Her 2nd option is what mine looks similar like if I do a twist out

I think as it gets longer it will look more similar to hers, mine is only NL and hers is SL or CL, but I think I might try that banding technique as it gets longer to see if that helps stretch my curls cause my ssk's are getting bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btX8...ew-vl&list=PLWfUESfoCvH4w-JLuLK_gRVlUbbcaA9d_

Hey ladies! It's been while since I've updated! Here's a progress check, not an official length check. My last relaxer was dec 18, 2012. I big chopped May 8, 2013. Yesterday I was running late and my twists were dry so I finished drying them using a blow dryer. To my utter surprise, I could fit it into a pony puff quite well! I used a headband as a holder. The most extreme sides and front are still too short so I had to use a clip to hold as u can see. But I'm super excited at the progress! I never blow dry, I always wet twist after a wash, so this was new!

Big chop. And this is deceiving. My hair had conditioner still in it. My hair is an even mix between 4a/b/c.
image-2046189729.jpg

Yesterday. I usually have like 90% shrinkage so I had no idea it had grown this much.
image-586703410.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Hey ladies! It's been while since I've updated! Here's a progress check, not an official length check. My last relaxer was dec 18, 2012. I big chopped May 8, 2013. Yesterday I was running late and my twists were dry so I finished drying them using a blow dryer. To my utter surprise, I could fit it into a pony puff quite well! I used a headband as a holder. The most extreme sides and front are still too short so I had to use a clip to hold as u can see. But I'm super excited at the progress! I never blow dry, I always wet twist after a wash, so this was new!

Big chop. And this is deceiving. My hair had conditioner still in it. My hair is an even mix between 4a/b/c.
View attachment 233897

Yesterday. I usually have like 90% shrinkage so I had no idea it had grown this much.
View attachment 233899

That's a lot of growth. Congratulations. I would say you have graduated from twa. If you aren't SL already, you are well on your way.

Hey ladies! It's been while since I've updated! Here's a progress check, not an official length check. My last relaxer was dec 18, 2012. I big chopped May 8, 2013. Yesterday I was running late and my twists were dry so I finished drying them using a blow dryer. To my utter surprise, I could fit it into a pony puff quite well! I used a headband as a holder. The most extreme sides and front are still too short so I had to use a clip to hold as u can see. But I'm super excited at the progress! I never blow dry, I always wet twist after a wash, so this was new! Big chop. And this is deceiving. My hair had conditioner still in it. My hair is an even mix between 4a/b/c. Yesterday. I usually have like 90% shrinkage so I had no idea it had grown this much. Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

You give me inspiration. I have shrinkage like yours and continue to think it is still short. But it is taking longer to do a WNG and more products.

I'm still neck length from what I can tell. My hair is between 4.5-5in. I wish I was shoulder length already!! I anticipate I will be on my one year BC anniversary. When I wash and go (which I never do anymore cuz it's awkward looking lol. There's no shape to it now that it's growing out) it's still very much looks like a twa. Shrinks up like crazy. Almost looks like I haven't made much progress. That's why I was so excited. Shrinkage can really fool you.

I have been learning about shaping my hair as it grows out. I do not intend to grow the back out so as the top grows and I shape up the back so I can try to make this awkward stage work. We will see how long I can keep this up before I need a new plan.

hair after washing, no leave in.
photo (9).JPG

hair with quarter-size amount of leave in
photo (10).JPG

i have like 3 different textures in my head and the only thing they have in common is shrinkage :nono:

Guys. I wanna flat iron my hair so bad. Its almost been 6 months since I BC'ed and I just. I am itching sooooo bad. I am planning on DC'ing tonight....and I might paddle brush it to blow dry and wrap it but if it doesn't come out smooth enough I am going to hit it with the flat iron and I just. Omg...I don't want damage, I just got my curls right but I am itching SOOO bad.

I have a heat protectant and everything I just. I am itching but I'm scared to scratch it (plus my hair did so well last year in the winter when my hair was straightened. I retained a lot of length....but I had really bad heat damage from flat ironing with oil and a ton of stuff on my hair. I know better now but...)

(Plus I really need to do a proper LC and check my ends)

hnntrr

I have damaged my hair before and I'm fine haired.

I'm not worried about my December length check though. It will be the first time I flat iron all of my hair for a long time, but I have a lot more information about how to safely flat iron than I used to :lol:

Back when I damaged my hair I'd cranked it up to maximum temperature because I didn't have good technique, I flat ironed damp hair :perplexed, I didn't seriously deep condition before hand, I did two, or 3 passes one after the other instead of waiting for the hair to cool down:nono: etc...

Now I have learned a lot I think it will be fine. Definitely a good idea to think it through before hand and get as many tips as possible.

I tried to do a flexirod set last night but after blow drying I was just too tired. So I put it in a puff. I finally got a concentrator nozzle for my blow dryer so I liked the results. Only thing is, my roots are super straight. Like relaxer straight but my ends not so much. How do I get my ends as straight? I think I'll have to stalk the Straight hair natural thread for tips. Anyway, here's my puff.
Eta: not sure why it came out sideways. It won't rotate.

ForumRunner_20131123_101439.jpg

Trimmed about 1/16 - 1/4 hair off my ends tonight. Wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I didn't loose much hair and it definitely felt and looked better after the trim.
Hopefully I cut it right, I just cut it where I felt the ends thinning (I cut them in small twists). We will see how my bantu knot turns out tomorrow. I put A LOT of moisturizer and a good amount of eco styler so hopefully my hair won't be crunchy.

Hopefully it will be dry. Dunno if bantu knotting on semi-soaking wet hair will dry in time.

Joining this thread. I just chopped my last relaxed ends off so I'm rocking my TWA and I have no clue what I'm going to do with it..

nisemac thanks for that thorough review of the keratin treatment your hair looks lovely.

congrats on your big chop Champion13

I'm just lounging around doing a whole lot of nothing with what's on my head. I'm not doing much, not even doing my DCs as regular as I should be. I'll see what people vote I should do w/ my hair and on New Years Day will do it, trim and start on the growing path again. (not long tho)

I am going to be an idiot and try to color it again I think. #don'tjudgeme

I saw whimsy posting in here and was confused lol I forgot you cut all your hair off.
I love my Havana twists guys!! My braider did them with marley hair, nice and thick,

nisemac thanks for that thorough review of the keratin treatment your hair looks lovely. congrats on your big chop Champion13 I'm just lounging around doing a whole lot of nothing with what's on my head. I'm not doing much, not even doing my DCs as regular as I should be. I'll see what people vote I should do w/ my hair and on New Years Day will do it, trim and start on the growing path again. (not long tho) I am going to be an idiot and try to color it again I think. #don'tjudgeme
Thank you!

Last edited:
I saw whimsy posting in here and was confused lol I forgot you cut all your hair off.
I love my Havana twists guys!! My braider did them with marley hair, nice and thick,

:lol: I was thinking the same thing. I say oh whimsy must be cheering someone on. Then I remembered she cut her hair. I must still be in denial.

So I flat my ironed for the first time in a while... For the front it looks like I have my hair pulled back lol.

Attachments

• image-3949177544.jpg
    image-3949177544.jpg
    407.1 KB · Views: 32
  • image-701362326.jpg
    image-701362326.jpg
    436.9 KB · Views: 32
Back