TWA Support Thread

purty :yep:

I bought some long-aid today. It was $.99 :yay: But I'm getting ready to put my hair up into kinky twist until the end of July. I am hoping my hair is long enough for a wng then.

:spank: how long u want it, booty length?? And where was my beloved for $.99?!???

[USER=346925 said:
APrayer4Hair[/USER];18389081]:spank: how long u want it, booty length?? And where was my beloved for $.99?!???

Why you spanking me? :cry: I just want it long enough to hang like yours. My hair is close to your length but even with product the center and sides just shrink up to an afro. The last time I tried a wng, my afro was good for 1 day but then the next day it had shrunk down to my head so bad :nono:

The long-aid was at the bss around the corner. I saw a large tub somewhere but I wasn't ready for all that yet. I need to try it out first.

i am graduating tomorrow :D
I really, really was tempted to go get another fade for graduation but nah. i will just rock this short coily crop i have going on now. and spend extra time on my baby hurrs. :lol:

I'm hoping i have enough length to get some twists by my trip to hawaii in 2 weeks. idk if that's possible but i really don't feel like styling my hair daily while on vacation.

i am graduating tomorrow :D
I really, really was tempted to go get another fade for graduation but nah. i will just rock this short coily crop i have going on now. and spend extra time on my baby hurrs. :lol:

I'm hoping i have enough length to get some twists by my trip to hawaii in 2 weeks. idk if that's possible but i really don't feel like styling my hair daily while on vacation.

Congratulations. ooh, enjoy Hawaii.

How long is your hair? My stylist told me that you she can do twists with 1/2" of hair. The more skilled they are the less hair you need.

Why you spanking me? :cry: I just want it long enough to hang like yours. My hair is close to your length but even with product the center and sides just shrink up to an afro. The last time I tried a wng, my afro was good for 1 day but then the next day it had shrunk down to my head so bad :nono:

The long-aid was at the bss around the corner. I saw a large tub somewhere but I wasn't ready for all that yet. I need to try it out first.

Because I know can do it!! Hair HAS to be dripping wet. I literally had to keep spraying, moisturize, then LA. Small sections is key. Will u try it before u begin ur protective styling PWEASE?!?!

I know I should move on to one of the other length challenges (the pressure!!) but I don't have the time. I'm gonna try baggying and misting my hair in the A.M to see if I can revive my hair.

Because I know can do it!! Hair HAS to be dripping wet. I literally had to keep spraying, moisturize, then LA. Small sections is key. Will u try it before u begin ur protective styling PWEASE?!?!

Um, I've already started my kinky twists :look:

I think my problem is getting my hair to be dripping wet. Because my hair is low porosity it doesn't absorb water easily so it takes a lot of time to get my hair as people call it dripping wet. When I spray water it just sort of beads up on my hair but it doesn't weigh my hair down if that makes sense.

I did get it that way 1x last year after finger combing through my hair for 45 minutes. I was ecstatic. But then the next week I couldn't repeat it.

My back will do it but the rest of my hair won't.

But I promise you I will try it before the summer is out.

Congratulations. ooh, enjoy Hawaii.

How long is your hair? My stylist told me that you she can do twists with 1/2" of hair. The more skilled they are the less hair you need.

Thanks dear :)
I think i have more than one inch now, maybe 1 and a half.
Wouldn't they have to be super super tiny tho? I have delicate edges. :/
I'm gonna go ask my friend's mom who always does my braids and weaves.

Sent from my phone-typos to be expected :)

My first try at a Bantu knot out. Done on dry hair. I did not get enough hold from the product used, so the curls started falling off very quickly. Next time I try I will leave the knots for a day or two. I liked the immediate look cause the curls were soft and fluffy.

image-452624760.jpg

image-237864698.jpg

Last week I decided to color my hair...green :look:. It's only to the right (left when other people are looking at me) of my side part. Had to lift my natural color since its so dark. And a few days ago I did my first twist out using Shea Moisture's Curling Soufflé on dry hair :yay:

Sent from my iPhone 4 using LHCF

Attachments

• image-2338398006.jpg
    image-2338398006.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 51
  • image-2586184642.jpg
    image-2586184642.jpg
    494.7 KB · Views: 47
I need to regularly hang out in here. I big chopped in Dec (posted here). I've been wearing wash n go, finger coils & twist.

My hair is about 2.5- 3 inches now but I clipped the ends of my twist today. I prepooed and did a protein deep conditioner. Moisturized &sealed. Here's today's hair . I twisted/braided & pinned it down so I don't look like Coolio. (Excuse shinny face)

image-1151397055.jpg

image-3046023676.jpg

I plan to wash, deep condition and retwist every two weeks for a low maintenance regimen to encourage growth. Daily cowashing is becoming too much. I want to start ACV rinses weekly to help with Frizz.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Attachments

• image-2636854534.jpg
    image-2636854534.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Ended up wetting my hair in the shower and shaking it out. Day 2 went well but it shrunk up (more). I'm gonna try wetting again in the AM but applying a little more LA. Idk y I put back that big jar in Walmart for $5 SMH....

image-397855751.jpg

Result of yesterday's twist. I did the Komen race for the cure today. Happy Mother's Day ladies!

image-1087027771.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Alright ya'll. Little update:

Washed my hair with Blousy from LUSH with no pre-poo, worked great. Cleaned my hair without feeling super stripped. Shampoo'ed once in 4 sections, cowashed twice and then DC'ed overnight. I have been wigging for the past few days and my hair seems to really like the no manipulation except for m/sing.

My only concern is that, now that my hair is getting moisturized nicely, my curls arent forming. I just have a big afro of nearly straight/wavy hair...even towards the roots on some points. I did use a wide tooth comb because I couldnt finger detangle but now my curl pattern is almost fully gone :(. I dont know why combing with a wide tooth would have separated my forming curls so much that they are almost non existent again. Does anyone do anything to help solve this? Is there a way to only comb detangle every once in awhile so that it doesnt pull them apart too much?

Last night when I washed they were almost not there, so I did a 1 min protein condish to see if that would help...and it did... a little. But it seems like my curls are being sacrificed for my hair being moisturized.

Its not a HUGE deal since I am going to be on a wig/braid regimen until shoulder length-ish, so my hair is going to be hidden most of the time. I guess I just need to figure out what to do with my TWA while its resting. It will be 6 months on June 17th for my last relaxer and almost 2 month on May 31st that I BC'ed.

Now I just have all these questions :(. Should I have stayed relaxed? Do I even have a curl pattern anymore?!? Should I just become a heat straightened natural and do knot outs when I want my hair curly?! I duno. Doubts in my mind.

How often should you dust/trim a TWA? When I was transitioning, I found that I needed a dusting about every 3-4 months. But now that my hair is pretty much out the way, does this mean I could go longer without a dusting, like 5-6 months? I am really really bad at spotting split ends because I always think that they are worse than they are. I always prefer to go by a schedule then just feeling my ends. How often do you guys trim/dust?

My kinky twist install last week was a fail. I did much better this weekend. I haven't finished yet. I will do my crown tomorrow and curl it up. I will keep these in until August. Hoping by putting my hair away I will be pleased by the length when I take them out.

How often should you dust/trim a TWA? When I was transitioning, I found that I needed a dusting about every 3-4 months. But now that my hair is pretty much out the way, does this mean I could go longer without a dusting, like 5-6 months? I am really really bad at spotting split ends because I always think that they are worse than they are. I always prefer to go by a schedule then just feeling my ends. How often do you guys trim/dust?

You should probably just dust on a schedule. I don't have any suggestions. I dust every 8 to 12 weeks. I wear my hair out a lot though and I also color my hair.

I have fine hair and I HAVE to dust every 6 weeks.

the best way to tell (for me) is I run my fingers along the length. When it goes from smooth to feeling rough and bumpy, that's where the scissors need to go (for me). And this is exactly at six weeks. Like faith, I also wear my hair out most of the time too.

Also, I can tell when I'm past that time when I see little broken off hairs (like 1/8") breaking off during manipulation. Obviously some will break, but you have to determine what is too many for you per given session of, detangling or washing or styling. When it feels like too much, then I trim and it ALWAYS stops those breaks.

I have fine hair and I HAVE to dust every 6 weeks.

the best way to tell (for me) is I run my fingers along the length. When it goes from smooth to feeling rough and bumpy, that's where the scissors need to go (for me). And this is exactly at six weeks. Like faith, I also wear my hair out most of the time too.

Also, I can tell when I'm past that time when I see little broken off hairs (like 1/8") breaking off during manipulation. Obviously some will break, but you have to determine what is too many for you per given session of, detangling or washing or styling. When it feels like too much, then I trim and it ALWAYS stops those breaks.
I think I'm going to start looking out for broken hairs. Thanks! I'm just afraid of cutting off too much.

You should probably just dust on a schedule. I don't have any suggestions. I dust every 8 to 12 weeks. I wear my hair out a lot though and I also color my hair.
Okay. I think I might dust every 3 months. As far as I could tell, my natural hair is acting like my relaxed hair, which is very strange. Thanks!

I think I'm going to start looking out for broken hairs. Thanks! I'm just afraid of cutting off too much.

Okay. I think I might dust every 3 months. As far as I could tell, my natural hair is acting like my relaxed hair, which is very strange. Thanks!

Hopefully over time you will learn what signs indicate time for a dusting for you.

DarkJoy's hair feels rough when it is time for a trim. My hair always feels rough. Always :look: So I can't go by that. But I can use certain styles to tell me where my ends are. I can use either flat twist or rollersets to tell me when my ends are bad because the ends won't curl under. To get a good trim I rollerset and I comb. Once it is dry I comb through the curl and where the comb stops that has to go.

Everyone has their own methods. If you can go 3 months without a dusting you are very fortunate :yep:

I wear my hair out, and my hands are in my hair almost every day. I have to retwist everyday to keep a style for work. I go out on the weekends so that's more manipulation. So although i don't use heat, i have to be on a schedule. I tried 8-12 weeks, but i find that at 10 weeks, my twist don't unravel from the roots with ease anymore. When my ends are freshly trimmed, i can unravel my twists with one hand from my roots, no snagging, no tangles. By 10 weeks i have to use both ends, and be careful when it gets down to the ends.
Maybe with some heavy protective styling i can make it to the 12 weeks mark without causing damage.

I am officially joining this thread now that I BC'd last week and have a TWA. :yep:

I do 2 strand twists every other night before I go to bed and then undo them in the morning. I use my fingers to "arrange' my coils and kinks, put on a fierce face of makeup, my big diamond hoops and I'm out the door.

Some people love my hair and some hate it, but I feel invincible. They'll get over it.

Back