Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

Thank you platinum for youR feedback. I went and bought me some coconut oil since thats such a staple in most people regimens. I'm still following you guys

I think you may want to trim the damaged ends. It may not affect the natural hair. But you may still want to trim away the damage because it may cause some tangling issues along with more breakage.

:welcome4: You may want to try a good moisturizing conditioner like Suave Humectant. Do you cowash? You may want to try washing with conditioner a few times a week to help condition and moisturize your hair. What are you using for a moisturizer and deep conditioner?

Keep up the good work!:clap:

OK ladies, I may have missed this but I want to grow my natural hair and this is ALL new to me. I went to a beautician this weekend and she told me that because my curls were so tight and my hair was so dry that she recommended that I perm my hair!! I was highly disappointed at the pressure from her to perm my hair when I expressed my CLEAR concern on NOT wanting to perm anymore!! I really need some good ideas on products to use on my natural hair and regimens. I have NOT done the big chop and I am 3 1/2 months post and my lenth is just below my ears. PLEASE HELP!

Don't give in to pressure if you want to transition. you are alread on on a good start being almost four months post. Hang in there, read these threads, and protective style as much as possible until you are at a length that you'll be comfortable with post BC.

today is the day that i can finally say,:thumbsup::hula: "I AM ONE YEAR POST RELAXER!" i currently have a weave in and wont be taking it out until july. i cant wair to see my new growth.:bouncy: isnt it funny how excited you become as opposed to frustrated to see new growth, when you have natural hair or are transitioning. instead of wanting to relax and destroy those darn edges:gunner7:, i only want to embrace them and nourish them. :hug3:Well i hope to transition through the summer but the thought of wash n go's will probably start soundin much sweeter:sweet: once june an july comes around.:lachen:

HHG!!!

today is the day that i can finally say,:thumbsup::hula: "I AM ONE YEAR POST RELAXER!" i currently have a weave in and wont be taking it out until july. i cant wair to see my new growth.:bouncy: isnt it funny how excited you become as opposed to frustrated to see new growth, when you have natural hair or are transitioning. instead of wanting to relax and destroy those darn edges:gunner7:, i only want to embrace them and nourish them. :hug3:Well i hope to transition through the summer but the thought of wash n go's will probably start soundin much sweeter:sweet: once june an july comes around.:lachen:

HHG!!!

:dance7:Congrats!!!!

Welp.

I fell off.

Relaxed last night after a 6 month stretch. I was starting to get tangles and nothing I did made my flat irons straight. I have amazing growth though. :grin:

Not sure what to do next. :look:

Maybe I'll try this thing again....

Will be 10 mos post Wednesday, May 22. So far getting lots of compliments on my natural hair texture, and just wearing it in wet buns with gel on the edges. Using the scarf method to make the edges smooth. Loving this style for summer, because I just about died underneath my LF (not the one pictured below) at a festival out in the country 2 weekends ago! It was 95+ degrees with 80% humidity, so I knew then that since I was sweating despite having on flip-flops, an airy beach-like wrap skirt, and a spaghetti strap tank that the wig was too much for that heat!

I wanted to yank it off in public (LOL), but kept my reserve until I got home, then CW my hair and pulled it back into a nice bun with the waves poppin'. I knew it was a crazy thing to think I could wear a wig past April in this Southern heat and humidity. Some ladies can do it, but I can't! My wigs will be on Sabbatical until Sept., then I will resume my winter regimen of braids beneath wigs to speed growth and retain all length gained. I wear wigs from Sept. to April most times. An excellent and proven way to grow out my hair!

Last edited:
Officially 9 months today. Still smooth sailing. :grin:

I am just anxious to see if my trouble spot in the back will finally grow out now that the relaxed ends are almost all gone. Its starting to fill in, but its still feels more fragile and thin than the rest of my hair.

Ok I have decided to transition again!!!
haters be damned!
I want my shiny, silky, curly, thick hair again.

I plan to co wash once a week, lightly blowdry and then braid up for braidouts. When I get tired of that I'll do rollersets again.

Can't wait to make it a year!!!!!!

I'm still on the transitioning boat with almost 13 weeks in. The last time I did this was in 2003 and I only did 10 months before I did a BC, but this time I want to go a min. of 12 mos to 24 mos. then BC. If it gets really hard I will just get braids or start trimming every month instead of every 3 to 4 mos. Wish me luck! :grin:

Hi, ladies,

Checking for May; I am now 1 year and one month post, and am really enjoying how my hair looks! Dealing with it since I got my braids out..not as much. It's just a lot of hair, but I like it and am most certainly not complaining! Thankfully, I'm getting micros back in on Tuesday, so I won't have to work with it for a few months and can just have braids most of the summer. The way my curls are coming in makes it harder to not want to cut the relaxed ends off, but I'm holding out for at least another year.

HHG!

I'm currently approaching my 11 month mark at my third transition attempt. I'm just now starting to have problems with the products that I have been using. It may be due to the fact that I haven't been using my Wild Growth Hair Oil that has worked wonders on my new growth. I started using Boundless Tresses recently instead of WGHO to attain some length, because I feel as though I'm right around the same length as when I initially started my transition almost a year ago. My growth rate is much slower than the 1/2" regular rate. I do feel a little new growth trying to creep up since using BT at the crown of my head, but not the back. I'll continue using it for at least the rest of the summer to see if it's worth it.

I recently purchased the Optimum Care Anti-breakage shampoo, leave in strengthener, and leave in daily cream, so I will be experimenting using those products with my cholesterol that deep condition with. I'm determined to continue my transition until I am fully natural this time. I have become such a DIYer when it comes to hair care that I really do enjoy not having to rely on someone else to do my hair.

I'm dealing with a lot of dryness issues right now...I cannot for the life of me find a good moisturizing product that does not make my perm rod set/braidouts look frizzy...a spray with humectant is not working for me...

I'm getting:wallbash::nono: !!!

I don't know what to do! What is everyone's moisturizing routine?

(Didn't want to go back through all of the pages.....:look: )

oh yay!!!!! glad to help!!!!

:grin: I would personally like to thank FlawedBeauty for her suggestion with the coconut oil. Last week's set came out beautiful and frizz free! Coconut oil, PM's Pommade, and my Aphogee Green Tea Spray made my curls come out beautiful...I think the key also was sitting under the dryer vs. letting them airdry. Did them Friday and still trucking today....Sure some have fallen a little bit, but it looks like a TWA:grin: ...which is fine by me!

THANKS!

Approaching 3 months post and I would like to give a shout out to Skala Jaborandi for detangling my NG and making it smooth and shiny.

I don't know what to do! What is everyone's moisturizing routine?

(Didn't want to go back through all of the pages.....:look: )

After co-washing: quarter sized amount of Trader Joe's Nourish Spa conditioner, seal with coconut castor oil.

When Roller-Set: Distribute pea sized amount of TJ Nourish Spa mixed with coco castor oil throughout hair.

When Flat-Ironed: Same as roller set, but use just a pinch of TJNS instead of pea size amt.

I have a LOT of fine 4a/b hair and I don't like to use a lot of product because it weighs my hair down.

Ooo I just got a shipment from vitacost. I ordered several shampoos and conditioners to try out.

My goal is to try daily co-washing during the summer to see what that does for my hair.

Approaching 8 months, just finished a few weeks of co-washing every 2-3 days and bunning. I felt that it really gave my hair a break from heat. I'm going to stretch my new growth a bit by doing roller sets and then buns for next few weeks as the weather warms up. I was growing tired of the wet bun look. Still trying to transition for 12 months....

I am 1 year post today!!!! :grin:

I can't believe I have gone this long without a relaxer and still managed to keep my hair at this length. I must say I have been having a really hard time with it lately and I don't know what to do. Some mornings I want to relax, others I want to keep on going with the transition, but the bad hair days have definitely outnumbered the good days. I might go to the hair salon next week to get a rollerset and blow out. I need someone else to struggle with this head for a change... I guess I'll decide then what my next move will be...

I am 1 year post today!!!! :grin:

I can't believe I have gone this long without a relaxer and still managed to keep my hair at this length. I must say I have been having a really hard time with it lately and I don't know what to do. Some mornings I want to relax, others I want to keep on going with the transition, but the bad hair days have definitely outnumbered the good days. I might go to the hair salon next week to get a rollerset and blow out. I need someone else to struggle with this head for a change... I guess I'll decide then what my next move will be...

Congratulations on making one year!!

I'm almost 10 months post.

Having issues with breakage around the hairline which has always been weak for me. Not sure how to style so it has no tension/manipulation there.

Any suggestions?

I'm almost 10 months post.

Having issues with breakage around the hairline which has always been weak for me. Not sure how to style so it has no tension/manipulation there.

Any suggestions?

Hmm...how have you been wearing your hair or scarves at night? Since the hairline is a very fragile area, I'd recommend a light protein leave-in as frequent as your hairline can take without additional breakage. I typically wear wigs but I make sure they (and my night time scarves) don't rub that area.

So, I did my first mini chop! YAAAY I feel good about it. I think I cut about 2 inches. I'll do another mini chop when I am 1yr post in November

Attachments

• Minichop24wks.jpg
    Minichop24wks.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Joining the convo. My last touch up was December 2009. I've been lazy about my hair, but plan on cowashing 2-3 weeks this summer and staying in braid or twist outs. I do not want to cut my hair since this is the longest my hair has ever been! (minus the trim i got 3 weeks ago...)

OK ladies, I need a couple of suggestions on how to wear my hair. It is just bbelow my ears and I'm about 5 mons post. I have tried a couple of wigs but don't think its for me. I've been doing scarves with my hair braided underneath. HELP PLEASE!!

Hey Ladies :wave: I haven't checked in awhile. Hope all is well. Wanted to share that my transition is finally over! I did a mini-chop last week. My transition lasted about 23 months. When I chopped I only had a little bit of relaxer on the ends of some ends on my right side. Everything else was natural. I shared some pictures in my recent post http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=469708

plus I have some additional pictures in my album. Good luck on the rest of your transition.

Back