Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

Alright ladies for those of you that flat iron during your transition. I have been a faithful user of Mizani Thermasmooth since I started transitioning 16 months ago. I use the whole line and it works wonders on my new growth and doesn't revert even in humidity. Well I ran out of the serum and spritz and still have some of the shampoo and conditioner left. So I decided I'd keep using the Thermasmooth shampoo and conditioner but try something else with it. So off to Ulta I go and I picked up some Lanza products.

This is what I used: I pre-pooed with coconut oil (as usual). I then washed with the Mizani Thermasmooth shampoo. I dc'd with the Mizani Thermasmooth Conditioner with some added olive oil under heat. Then I followed with the Lanza Healing Moisture Noni Fruit Detangler and Lanza Strait-Line Smoother Straightening Balm. I let air dry about 70%, then sprayed the Lanza Strait-Line Thermal Defense Heat Styler, and blow dryed. I applied 2-3 pumps of Lanza Healing Strength Neem Plant Silk Serum and then flat ironed with my Chi (as usual). I love how it turned out. Can't wait to see if it holds up without reverting like the Thermasmooth Serum. It doesn't feel as heavy as the Thermasmooth did. Here's the pics:

hair022.jpg
hair024.jpg

I am in. I am currently only 6 weeks post but sooo excited. This will be my second try but I plan to stick with it this time. Last time I lasted for 6 months but I relax. There is sooo much information in this thread. Yay!!!

Am I the only one who sees their relaxed ends as a protective style? So long as I keep my relaxed ends I know that I am retaining all of my natural hair. I only plan to trim as needed and hopefully I can keep enough relaxed ends until my natural hair is APL stretched. I wouldn't mind slower progress once my hair reached that level.

Am I the only one who sees their relaxed ends as a protective style? So long as I keep my relaxed ends I know that I am retaining all of my natural hair. I only plan to trim as needed and hopefully I can keep enough relaxed ends until my natural hair is APL stretched. I wouldn't mind slower progress once my hair reached that level.

That's an interesting concept. But also know that you must keep the relaxed ends healthy and free of splits or else they can travel up the hair shaft to your new growth causing damage that way:nono:. As long as the ends are healthy though, then your natural hair should remain healthy as well.

Good point...

Did any of you start relaxed at APL? How long has it taken you all to grow the relaxer out? What was your regimen for this? Braids, wigs, sew-ins?

It helps to know that 11.5 months is manageable, b/c at 6 months, I find that the natural hair de-tangles well when conditioned properly, (and the relaxed hair detangles well too), but what happens is the relaxed hair tries to knot up at the ends when managing while it's wet. For instance, when I'm trying to braid while wet (into a braid out), the length of the relaxed parts will tie up into it's own braid down the bottom. This is on below should length hair. This will only get worse as the length grows (could mess up length retention).

Did any of you start relaxed at APL? How long has it taken you all to grow the relaxer out? What was your regimen for this? Braids, wigs, sew-ins?

I cut my MBL relaxed hair up to a fauxhawk cut (think a la Rhianna 2006/2007) late 07. I relaxed it then too. Then, since I got preggs w/my daughter shortly after, I just transitioned. My hair grew out to relaxed SL (w/lots of NG), when I BC'd after 13 mos. When I did, I had enough natural hair to do a small ponytail (about 5 inches). It grew very quickly, especially while preggs and after the BC. Within 5 mos, I had SL hair again-natural, then I texlaxed. LOL I did that for convenience.

I'm thinking about going into braids or weave in a little while. I'm not fond of either but I think my hair needs a break for a while. Have to look into some styles and find someone in the Atl area to hook me up. I also know i'ma have to put it up some kinda way for the summer.

I recently got a chocolate demi permanent rinse. I was tired of the washed out red color my hair turned when I was on vacation last summer.

my real hair is just so short I don't have many style options except for wearing it straight. I dont think my hair has been doing horrible flat ironing every week, but I know I need a break tho. I know what I'm NOT doing is micros, in the past my hair didn't do well in micros.

When you figure it out let me know! :wallbash:

I didn't think I'd have an answer so fast but I'm glad I do :spinning:. I came across this thread a few days ago and thought I'd give it another go. http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=437366&highlight=

I dc on dry hair so I started with 4 sections on dry hair. I get the most tangles in the back 2 sections so I further sectioned them into 4 (8 sections in the back total).

I put ORS deep conditioner on and bantu knotted the sections. I followed with the homegrown steam treatment for 30 mins and hit the shower.

In the shower, I took down one section at a time and: rinsed the dc out, shampooed my scalp and braided the section. I have just enough new growth that the braids stayed braided enough to maintain the sections.

After doing the previous step to each section, I saturated the braids in conditioner and covered with a shower cap while I finished showering. Afterward, I rinsed out the braids and got out the shower.

Normally this is where I spend a good 40 minutes cursing the tangles but nothing was tangled so I had no need to detangle. It took me maybe 5 min to put on the leave-in. I normally roller set and sit under the dryer but I woke up late and was running out of time so I blow dried each section, pressed my roots and ran out the door.

It probably sounds like a lot, but this really worked for me. I didn't shower any longer than my previous wash days and detangling is virtually gone. I lost a lot LESS hair than normal and that makes me :grin:.

HTH you in finding a way to make detangling a better experience :yep:

Sounds like you're doing everything right with the products. Do you wait to comb through while you are under streaming water (while washing out the conditioner). Then you can watch the drain for any hair loss. Even if I baste the hair with conditioner, it's still scary to comb through until the conditioner has fully gone through the shaft, and then I go under the shower and comb through streaming water. HTH

I cut 4 inches from my hair because my ends were thin, so now I'm APL. My goal is to be BSL by May and get 1/2 inch trim. I'm still transitioning while growing my hair out at the same time. My hair is textrized so I shouldn't have any problems with different textures.

I'll be 7 months post in 3-days and I'm at a road block with my hair:wallbash:. A wig may be in my near future (but I always get the itchies with weave);I'm so confused:spinning:

16 months post in two weeks, yeesh this is going by fast! lol
I'm almost fully bsl! I'm not cutting the relaxed ends off until I hit waist length, maybe hip length. Depends on my mood lol.
I cowash every other day with TResemme smooth and silky, I shampoo once a week with HE LTR and deep condition with Giovanni Magnetic conditioner. Leave ins are LTR leave in and ORS Carrot oil. And I seal with olive oil.
I bun it all up and leave it alone and I straighten every three months unless I have a photo shoot. Haven't had any problems with the two textures, so glad it's going smoothly.
But the day oh the day I chop those ends off!! Whew lmao

Almost 5 months post. Taking my braids out in a couple of weeks then will be cornrowing under a wig until September when I will be one year post. Perhaps I'll do a mini chop then :). So happy I took the decision to transition and can't wait to be 100% natural!!!

just hit the 4 month mark, still hangin. i have no urge to relax but i do have the urge to chop all the time. i know i won't tho cuz i KNOW i would regret it. as im gettin into this journey i find the pj in me is starting to come back!! ive been clear of being a pj since a yr after i joined! in just the past few weeks i managed to buy a huge bottle of redken condish, a smaller bottle of redken shampoo and condish soft somethin line (cant recall) and i just ordered the mizani moisturfuse line :-/ lawd im gonn need some help :lachen:

Feb. 23 will be my 6 month mark. I'm trying to hang.... I've been thinking of relaxing. I'm trying not to think that way.

I've lost count of the weeks post i am. I put the last relaxer on the calender in my phone and i know it's a wednesday. I'm sure i'm about 6 months post, but when i counted back the weeks didn't make sense. It's not important though is it? I just know my hair is growing and it's the longest i've ever stretched.

I'm almost 6mths post. texture shots coming this weekend. i think i'm 4b I've been washing in braids but I'm at my 6week mark so I will take a them down to rebraid and try to take shots.

Back