Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

16 months and one week. I keep doing mini chops and I can't wait til its all grown out. I never realized how frustrating two textures could be!

Happy to see find this thread! I'm 6 months into a transition, no BC planned. So far I see that it's important to keep both natural and relaxed hair moisturized. This way, I haven't had any breakage. Have to switch up on products, as the hair doesn't respond to (especially conditioners) the same way every (co)wash. Also, I find that when blow dried straight (and flat ironed), this style lasts longer (up to 8 days) when tied down at night with satin. Curlier styles--twist outs, braid outs, etc. do not last. Also, the vast difference between natural hair and relaxed is noticed on braid outs b/c of the thickness of the natural, and the thinner type relaxed. That's all so far, but will be checking in to get more info from everyone. Great thread!

I'm 15 months post and will be cutting the rest of my relaxer off this month. I only have about 1-2 inch in the front left, the back is all natural. It been a great transitioning with everyone support. Happy Transitioning!

I'm a lot happier with my transition now that I've discovered airdrying in a bun. It makes my life so much easier and allows for less manipulation. My goal is to airdry every week for three weeks and then rollerset that last week. We'll see how that goes.

I'm 15 months post and will be cutting the rest of my relaxer off this month. I only have about 1-2 inch in the front left, the back is all natural. It been a great transitioning with everyone support. Happy Transitioning!

Yay! Can't wait to see pics

No, don't leave us ltown! lol

Can't wait to see your pics of your LC (little chop).

Hi ladies!!! Checking in @ almost 35 weeks. Although I have had a uneventful transition, it is starting to get a bit rough now. My hair is tangling something fierce now. My flat ironed hairstlyes don't last a day (especially when I go out). It starts to revert and then tangles. I have always been strong in my will to have natural hair... but now I am wondering if maybe I should just relax again. :wallbash:

No, don't leave us ltown! lol

Can't wait to see your pics of your LC (little chop).

:lachen:LC that so true I don't have much left. I think the front is more straighter than I remember. I never let my natural hair get this long before relaxing so I don't remember. I'll be around because it seems to be more styles in the transitioning thread and I'll still be style challenge:yep:

Hello there ladies, I'm 7 months post, i'm using cantu shea butter leave in daily, Neutrogena triple moisture deep recovery mask and silk touch leave in,so far so good i haven't had the urge to relax at all. if i knew my hair was this curly years ago i would have done it much sooner.

:lachen:LC that so true I don't have much left. I think the front is more straighter than I remember. I never let my natural hair get this long before relaxing so I don't remember. I'll be around because it seems to be more styles in the transitioning thread and I'll still be style challenge:yep:

I think my hair has changed quite a bit from when I was a kid. Or maybe it was just because my hair was never taken care of and was dry, dry, dry and kinky, kinky, kinky. It changed the first time when I was a teen, but maybe that's because I learned to take care of it a LITTLE better. After I had my first child (17 years ago), it seems like my type changed again. I don't think the crown is even 3c anymore, it may be 3b or something. When I was texlaxed, my stylist would only do the 4a horseshoe that grows around my head. I don't wear my hair pulled back tightly, so that isn't it. I'm somewhat concerned about what it's going to look like when I'm fully natural. When I was natural in the past, I had to scrunch and tease and spray and do all sorts of things to make it blend with the kinky/curly hair - and it never looked right. It looked like a wavy weave on top and natural hair around the perimeter. :perplexed

Almost 21 weeks and i'm starting to feel the pressure. I wash my hair on saturday so i airdried and i haven't been out side so it was still in 2 braids and i was gonna go out tomorrow but couldn't bebothered to flat iron like i would normally do. So i tried to do a bun, but the size of it is pathetic against my big head and my new growth looking puffy making my head look bigger. So i put conditioner in it and a leave in and prepared my hair for a braid out. I hope it looks decent otherwise i can't go to the chicken shop to buy my lunch.

I'm so happy! After a year of trying, I did my first decent looking french braid.:clapping: My hands are still confused as to where to start, but at least it looks like a french braid. I can only do a big single one. I can't do a double braid yet.:sad: I have a year or more to practice!:o I will get it, though!:grin:

at 18/19 weeks now. cut off 2 inches of relaxed ends Christmas-eve night.
BKT'd in Dec loved the effect on my natural hair, hated it on my texturised/relaxed ends(there dead straight now wont curl).
Seriously considering the BC in summer. But only if i can lose 30lbs by then.
Still no major problems with the 2-3 textures, just getting ansty, want to play in my curls.

I'm so happy! After a year of trying, I did my first decent looking french braid.:clapping: My hands are still confused as to where to start, but at least it looks like a french braid. I can only do a big single one. I can't do a double braid yet.:sad: I have a year or more to practice!:o I will get it, though!:grin:

Congratulations!

Washing and conditioning my hair while in 6-8 twists really did help with detangling. It's a little time consuming but very effective.:yay:

I'm about 7 months post..and will be weaving it up for a looooong while...Why? because my weave looks hot and its soo hard dealing with these darn textures lol..I can't believe I even made it this far..wow..Im kinda proud of myself :)

Checking in for the last few weeks. I am weaved up so my transition seems to be going smoother. I am just not happy about having to flat Iron my leave out hair weekly. I think I will do a curly weave next so I can do braid outs on leave out hair instead.

I am researching curly weaves as we speak....:scratchch

Hi, ladies! Checking in...I am 9 months post and am feeling the pressure of dealing with the two textures. However, I'm not thinking of relaxing at all. I got micros out and it has been rough trying to style it since I really don't want to use heat other than a dryer. The only thing that has worked it a twistout on slightly damp hair. Can someone walk me through bunning cuz I just don't get it? Also I think my hair may be clumping due to the relaxed ends. TIA!

Hi ladies, 6 mos post officially on Friday, Jan. 22nd. I have NO urge to tex-lax at all. Also, no urge to BC, thankfully. Trimmed 1/2" off ends Jan. 9th just to even things up (love the blunt look). Still keeping it braided underneath my wigs. So far, so good! It's growing like a weed!

Hi, ladies! Checking in...I am 9 months post and am feeling the pressure of dealing with the two textures. However, I'm not thinking of relaxing at all. I got micros out and it has been rough trying to style it since I really don't want to use heat other than a dryer. The only thing that has worked it a twistout on slightly damp hair. Can someone walk me through bunning cuz I just don't get it? Also I think my hair may be clumping due to the relaxed ends. TIA!

Tricie,
I bun on wet hair. After cowashing and detangling w/ lots of condish and running water, I smooth my hair into a bun and secure it w/ a scrunchie even before getting out of the tub. I smooth some leave-in and oil over the top and wrap in a t-shirt to absorb the drips.

When it's about 80-90% dry I'll take it down and apply leave-in to rest of my strands and seal w/ shea butter and EVOO. At this point, I either put it back in a bun if I don't feel like messing with it, or I'll do a braid and curl. HTH :yep:

Back