Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

I am 10 months post and quickly approaching my one year mark. I am finally getting the hang of it w/ help from my LHCF sisters. I still have hair issues but it's getting better.

I keep seeing other naturals around campus and it's making me superjealous and I'm itching to BC. I've been staring at my scissors....

I'm only 12 weeks in though so I guess I need to be patient. Sigh.

I cut off a coupla inches over the weekend but it's still MBL. I think my length is helping to weigh down my new growth and keep it in check.

I'm 5 1/2 months in and the detangling is getting out of hand. There are times when I have to take a step back and calm my frustration. My hair is easier to detangle while damp so I apply leave-in, let it dry a bit and then get the comb. Definitely looking forward to a time when the detangling woes are over...

I'm 5 1/2 months in and the detangling is getting out of hand. There are times when I have to take a step back and calm my frustration. My hair is easier to detangle while damp so I apply leave-in, let it dry a bit and then get the comb. Definitely looking forward to a time when the detangling woes are over...

When you figure it out let me know! :wallbash:

Today was wash day *every Wednesday I use shampoo and ever other day I cowash* so I used Herbal Essence's "drama Clean" to wash and Giovanni's "Magnetic Power Treatment" to deep condition. I finished off with Herbal Essence's LTR leave in and ORS Carrot oil. Things were going great until I picked up the Dennam brush....It went through my natural hair like it was butter....then it hit the line..yea no. lol. Relaxed ends HATE the brush -.- sigh. Come on waist length, I swear the day I see my I'm hitting that I'm dancing into the salon!

Hi ladies. I have had issues with transitioning - I have worn braids and weaves to help in the process now I realize that my hair grows out way to quickly so I can't use these methods to help in the process. Luckily, I've discovered wigs!!! All you need is a good head band and you are golden!!!! Well anyway, my issue now is detangling after I wash. Chunks of hair comes out!!! I mean chunks.... I tried everything - detangling in braids, protein treatments, super-duper moisturizing conditioners (different times), I've switched to all natural products. I am confused as to what to do next - I am thinking that I should just BC!!!!!

Has anyone else have this problem with detangling... Please help me ladies...

signed,
Girl with scissor in hand and conditioner in hair ready to BC!!!

:hiya:

I haven't stuck my head in here in a while... Well.. I finally broke down and got braids... I was tired of wearing a ponytail and my hair was lookin a HAM with the braidouts and twist.. or whatever I did to it....

So.. I will be wearing these for the next 7 - 8 wks.... then a 1 wk break, then back in braids I go!

Oh I also did another mini chop... took off another inch .....:yahoo: I'm getting there...

I'm so glad all I have to do is wash, cond and moisturize.. no stylin, no heat.....:happydance:!!!!

Picture759.jpg

Picture760-1.gif

Picture761-1.jpg

I'm wearing my first installment of braids for the braids challenge....by the time I take them out, I will be 4 months post...I will let my hair rest for a week or two, but I don't know what to do while I'm giving my hair a break...I know I will need a trim. Maybe just wet wrap to straighten it good enough for a small trim and wear the top in a clip and let the back hang...I don't know. Rods, maybe?

Hi ladies! I am 36 weeks post, Yay!!!! 9 months into my journey and it has been smooth sailing up until 4 weeks ago. When I wear my hair straight it just poofs up at my roots and the ends are straight. I look like a chia pet by the end of the night! Think I am going to BKT at the begining of February. I am also having matting & detangling issues if my hair is damp. Never had that before. Can't wait to see were I am at in 1 year.

HHG

Very pretty! How long did this take?

:hiya:

I haven't stuck my head in here in a while... Well.. I finally broke down and got braids... I was tired of wearing a ponytail and my hair was lookin a HAM with the braidouts and twist.. or whatever I did to it....

So.. I will be wearing these for the next 7 - 8 wks.... then a 1 wk break, then back in braids I go!

Oh I also did another mini chop... took off another inch .....:yahoo: I'm getting there...

I'm so glad all I have to do is wash, cond and moisturize.. no stylin, no heat.....:happydance:!!!!

Picture759.jpg

Picture760-1.gif

Picture761-1.jpg

:hiya2: I'm 25 weeks post.

Scarf method and ponytail are really working for me. I'm cowashing the pony as needed to keep ends well moisturized. :love2:

12 weeks post today, and I have so much new growth. I have been taking Biotin and I think it's moving things along more quickly than it normally would. When I transitioned years ago I didn't have this much new growth yet.

I washed my hair last night and I had a massive fro. And stringy ends. At this rate, I might BC by Christmas. Hopefully. Detangling wasn't too bad. I just need to find me a leave-in.

Hey ladies. Thought I would check in here and see what all of the fellow transitioners are up to. I've been transitioning since December, 2008. I'm hoping to go another 6 - 18 months.

For all the ladies having detangling problems, have you tried serums and oil after applying a leave-in? I dont have any issues *knock on wood* And I am 7 + months post.

Last month I decided to flat iron my hair for a length check. I kept it longer than usual mainly because I was dreading the act of having to battle with my hair again. I washed my hair the other night and my jaw dropped. You guys, I thought I was looking at a reflection of my 8 year old self again. I have alot more new growth than before, and images of what my hair used to look like as a kid all came flooding back to me. Up to this point, I never could remember what it looked like...

It was truly something else :yep: A part of me is nervous to go natural...but the thought of quitting and going back to a relaxer makes me ill

For all the ladies having detangling problems, have you tried serums and oil after applying a leave-in? I dont have any issues *knock on wood* And I am 7 + months post.

Thanks for this idea! You know, I have a whole new bottle of serum to be applied before/during/after straightening. Last week I got this idea to maybe use it with my leave-ins/S-Curl/oils after washing, but didn't. Since it works for you, I will have to try it just to see! Next wash, I'm bringing out the serum, for sure. My hair loves serums, always has. It be's smooth like buttah, baaby!

ETA: I officially made 6 mos yesterday! I can't believe July 22 will be a year. Wow, does time fly!! Thinking of getting cornrows/kinky or curly twists/crochet braids this summer (maybe if not wearing my own hair in ponytail after CW); since it's unbearably hot, I can't fathom having on a wig with all this long, thick hair underneath!

Last edited:
detangling my hair was ridiculous last night... my hair just wasn't having it..
i'm thinking too much protein cuz my hair felt weird... but geez i'm just glad i didn't lose too much

i got senegalese twists today... i hate the initial scalpy look my hair currently has :ohwell:
i'm glad she didn't do it tight tho

This week I applied JBCO to my hair and proceded to do a twistout. When I saw my NG it was healthy and strong and when I looked at my relaxed ends it was dead as 1 o'clock! Because of this I decided to finally go natural.

I am 21 weeks post today.

45 Weeks Post. I was experiencing some breakage, so I gave myself a hard protien tx
(aphogee 2 step) followed up with a Nexxus Humectress/WEN combo. I cornrowed my hair with extension hair right after. I am trying to keep these in for six weeks to give my hair a break from the manipulation. Hopefully, it will slow down or eliminate the breakage I was experiencing (relaxed ends breaking).

:hiya2: I'm 25 weeks post and I'm enjoying my scarf method with part down the middle and curly ponytail. I cowash ponytail as needed and it's working wonders for me. :yep:

Hello! I am 22 weeks post my last relaxer. I am 22 yrs old, and I haven't been natural since I was about 5 yrs. old. So, in a nutshell, I have no idea what my hair looks like. I want to go the distance with my transition, so I haven't planned my BC yet. I'm also a PJ (this board is a very unsafe place! :spinning:)

Question: I am trying the Fantasia IC Hair Polisher gel to slick my hair back, but I am having some odd results. My sides are a bit short, and I can't seem to keep my hair from poofing before the gel dries, so it isn't doing to much for me. And I can't comb through it so, what should I do differently?

Dont remember if i posted here already but i'm now 14 weeks post. about 5 people so far have asked me if i'm growing my hair out so i guess its showing! Even though i do a lot if plaits and twists to blend the textures and make it easier to handle. I'm gonna do a baggy with some evoo/castor oil tonight, i just feel like my ends need a little extra tlc.

Back