Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

I was 8 months post on Monday! Adjusting to this sew in - too early to say if I like having a weave yet. I like that my hair will have a good break Not sure how much longer I want to do this transition thing but I'm also not ready for 4 inches of hair or however much hair I have Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

This first weave is the learning curve :look: I HATED my first weave. Absolutely hated it. Now my weave is like a body part :look: :duck: Congrats on 8 months post!

Also sharifeh, if you end up liking your weave why not BC early and then weave it up until you get to the length you want? A stylist that went to my school recommends that. She says the hassle of two textures isn't worth it when you can let your natural hair flourish unbothered.

Also sharifeh, if you end up liking your weave why not BC early and then weave it up until you get to the length you want? A stylist that went to my school recommends that. She says the hassle of two textures isn't worth it when you can let your natural hair flourish unbothered.

I agree with this. I don't think extremely long transitions are for everyone. Some ppl deal with a lot of breakage and just have a hard time with styling and manageability. Some opt for weaves and braids throughout their entire transition for this reason. I think it's a good idea to get braids/twists if you chop early and your hair is a too short for your liking. I'll prob get some nice Senegalese twists this summer after I chop. Also getting a kinky weave that matches your hair texture is another option also while your hair grows in, this way you don't have to deal with killing your leave out with heat.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

My friend who was supposed to be transitioning with me just got a perm.. im 8 months post and I feel a little envy of the flowyness of her hair ..

I have at least 24 more months of this... or maybe a mini chop over the summer

I tried explaining transitioning to my bf about a month ago, wasn't sure if he really understood. Last night at dinner he said, "So when are you going to wear your hair curly again?" I told him it would be at least a year. He kinda looked at me crazy so I don't think he really understands. I also think he's tired of my daily bun. Im tired of that jawn too. :nono:

Cattypus1 - What dat is? *searches Google* Do you use the straightening treatment? I need more information... :lol:

Yes, I'm using the straightener. I love it. I'm a selfie and it's really easy to do myself--I was a self-relaxer from way back. My hair is so soft and easy to manage. I wear my hair flat-ironed because I got a chin-length bob back in Feb. I have no breakage...let me repeat that ZERO breakage. I'm waiting to get to maybe collar-bone length so that I can start doing my twist outs again.

So happy!

I had a convo with the bf about transitioning with weaves. Because I feel that it's important that he knows where I'm coming from and vice versa. His dumb man self, going "soooo you'd like be natural and stuff but under weave? That's makes sense and you'd give your hair a break! COOL" yay he's learning.

So silly <3

So yeah, if I'm gonna be wearing weaves anyway, I think I am definitely gonna chop in June or July (3 inches) and just wear weaves through out. I want to be a straight haired natural but I feel like if I have to have straight hair with two textures, I'll feel forced to just relax and make it one texture than chop.

Hopefully I can hold out! This sew in is on its second week and its been a lot easier to deal with than the first. I am only washing my hair once a month while in a sew in to avoid any shed hairs getting dry and tangled.

I agree with this. I don't think extremely long transitions are for everyone. Some ppl deal with a lot of breakage and just have a hard time with styling and manageability. Some opt for weaves and braids throughout their entire transition for this reason. I think it's a good idea to get braids/twists if you chop early and your hair is a too short for your liking. I'll prob get some nice Senegalese twists this summer after I chop. Also getting a kinky weave that matches your hair texture is another option also while your hair grows in, this way you don't have to deal with killing your leave out with heat.

I like this idea as well, but I would think you'd have to have maybe 3 inches of natural hair. Isn't it that you can't get sew ins unless you have 3 inches of hair?

I like this idea as well, but I would think you'd have to have maybe 3 inches of natural hair. Isn't it that you can't get sew ins unless you have 3 inches of hair?

Yeah, you'll def need hair long enough to braid and maybe some hair for a leave out.

That's an idea
I would still be scared to BC even with hiding my hair I'll talk to my stylist about that
I could possibly weave it up till December (on and off ) I'm guessing I should be around SL straightened in December? When are you chopping?

I agree with this. I don't think extremely long transitions are for everyone. Some ppl deal with a lot of breakage and just have a hard time with styling and manageability. Some opt for weaves and braids throughout their entire transition for this reason. I think it's a good idea to get braids/twists if you chop early and your hair is a too short for your liking. I'll prob get some nice Senegalese twists this summer after I chop. Also getting a kinky weave that matches your hair texture is another option also while your hair grows in, this way you don't have to deal with killing your leave out with heat. Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Britt
When are you chopping ? I also considered braids as a summer style and I love the look of Senegalese twists but I'm scared of those braiding shops and of how tight it might potentially be
What are the options for buying kinky hair for a weave hmm I've never even thought of that

Yes, I'm using the straightener. I love it. I'm a selfie and it's really easy to do myself--I was a self-relaxer from way back. My hair is so soft and easy to manage. I wear my hair flat-ironed because I got a chin-length bob back in Feb. I have no breakage...let me repeat that ZERO breakage. I'm waiting to get to maybe collar-bone length so that I can start doing my twist outs again.

How long have you been using it & do you notice any changes to your curl pattern when you wash your hair? TIA Cattypus1

How long have you been using it & do you notice any changes to your curl pattern when you wash your hair? TIA Cattypus1
I wish I could tell you about my curl pattern but honestly I have no idea what it is. I have been chemically processed since I was a child. I went straight from a relaxer to a curl in the 80's, chopped all my hair off and then I after a couple of years with a curl and the activator nastiness I went back to a relaxer. My last relaxer was in July of last year. If my curl pattern has loosened a bit with Chi I'm not mad about it. I have fine hair but a lot of it. It looks fuzzy because each strand is doing its own curl thing which was probably the thing that sent my mother to chemicals in the first place. I say all that to say that I had my last Chi "touch up" 6 weeks ago. I'm currently trying a two-strand flat Twistout. If it's successful then I will try to push my next chi out as far as I can.

is there anyone here about 2-3 months post?

tasha5951

im 19 weeks post virgin relaxer after 6 years natural. ( lets say 4 1/2 months).

i was just stretching my relaxer but this week i thought why not transition back to natural .

i have fine hair and its annoying me relaxed. i miss the volume and it seems less fragile. :-/

im gonna read this veryyyyy long thread to get motivation and see if i can transition.

So happy! I had a convo with the bf about transitioning with weaves. Because I feel that it's important that he knows where I'm coming from and vice versa. His dumb man self, going "soooo you'd like be natural and stuff but under weave? That's makes sense and you'd give your hair a break! COOL" yay he's learning. So silly <3 So yeah, if I'm gonna be wearing weaves anyway, I think I am definitely gonna chop in June or July (3 inches) and just wear weaves through out. I want to be a straight haired natural but I feel like if I have to have straight hair with two textures, I'll feel forced to just relax and make it one texture than chop. Hopefully I can hold out! This sew in is on its second week and its been a lot easier to deal with than the first. I am only washing my hair once a month while in a sew in to avoid any shed hairs getting dry and tangled.

what weaves do you choose ? closed ones? no leave outs i guess? id like to start using weaves too but um... i never know what to chose. ive only woŕn 2 in my entire life

ii might have to get a curly one?

tasha5951

im 19 weeks post virgin relaxer after 6 years natural. ( lets say 4 1/2 months).

i was just stretching my relaxer but this week i thought why not transition back to natural .

i have fine hair and its annoying me relaxed. i miss the volume and it seems less fragile. :-/

im gonna read this veryyyyy long thread to get motivation and see if i can transition.

I'm in a similar boat. I have fine hair and I like wearing it straight but do wish for more volume. I lasted 14 months into a transition once before and then went back to relaxed. This time, I think I'm wearing my hair straight and in sew ins for the most part.

You can do it IF you have a plan and a goal :)

Britt When are you chopping ? I also considered braids as a summer style and I love the look of Senegalese twists but I'm scared of those braiding shops and of how tight it might potentially be What are the options for buying kinky hair for a weave hmm I've never even thought of that Sent from my iPhone using LHCF
sharifeh Prob end of May or June. My hair is def mostly natural, especially the back. There's a braiding shop on here that's in Harlem that has good reviews (the name is escaping me) Angelluvsubabe went there. I want my hair just long enough to pull into a bun using a small piece of kinky weave hair. Well there's several vendors that sell kinky weave hair (onyc and another I have to look it up and get back to u) but I only want a piece of hair that I can wrap around to make a decent sized bun. southerncitygirl gave me the name of a place in brooklyn I can buy hair from. Is it called Lexi's hair right ? Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Last edited:
Back