Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

Still in it... 19 months since my last texlax! Washed the other day, I'm been obsessing over my hair lately so I'm looking forward to warmer weather so I can get out of the house and do something else with my free time. This snow keeping us inside is just aiding in my obsession lol

image-1213405682.jpg

image-1503683178.jpg

Still in it... 19 months since my last texlax! Washed the other day, I'm been obsessing over my hair lately so I'm looking forward to warmer weather so I can get out of the house and do something else with my free time. This snow keeping us inside is just aiding in my obsession lol

Your hair looks great for 19 months! My hair stays twisted up and pinned so it's nothing to write home about.

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

Flyygirll2 thanks! I told myself if I can't wear straight hair and enjoy my hair then natural hair wouldn't be for me... I get frustrated if my hair is up for to long in the same style

Flyygirll2 thanks! I told myself if I can't wear straight hair and enjoy my hair then natural hair wouldn't be for me... I get frustrated if my hair is up for to long in the same style

See, I like straight hair but I'm style challenged and I like ease and simplicity so I practically live in buns. I haven't wore my hair out since my last touch up in October lol. Right now I'm getting tired of my hair looking a poofy mess.

Flyygirll2 Yikes!!!... I wore buns for a while into my transition also but I had washed and set first so my hair was still straight and I had the option of taking it down to "feel" my hair when I got home...how far into your transition are you?

And I'm style challenged as well, the only reason I can do wash and sets is because I've been doing them myself since '05 besides that I havnt mastered any other style =( lol

I'm just loving this thread lol.
So I did my nightly braid out last night and kept trying to take pics of the area I cut off so I could show bebezazueta but it would not show up in the pic.
I moisturized and sealed with small amt of emu oil. This morning as I was taking out my braids my fingers felt sooo greasy. I find that the relaxed section is far greasier than the natural area and when I was applying the oil last night I kept smoothing it into my new growth. I never ever had issues with dryness when I was fully relaxed and for all these years my relaxed hair doesn't like heavy moisturizers and right I certainly never moisturized and sealed. It's just interesting to see how different the hairs are.

Anyway, I tried to take a pic of what my twist looks like where its plump and then goes flat lol.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Attachments

• image-4288574322.jpg
    image-4288574322.jpg
    485.7 KB · Views: 95
Flyygirll2 Yikes!!!... I wore buns for a while into my transition also but I had washed and set first so my hair was still straight and I had the option of taking it down to "feel" my hair when I got home...how far into your transition are you? And I'm style challenged as well, the only reason I can do wash and sets is because I've been doing them myself since '05 besides that I havnt mastered any other style =( lol

Yeah I've done pony tail roller sets but that's about it. This Saturday will make it 21 wks post. My hair is becoming more of a chore as time goes by. I applaud the ladies that have managed to make it close to a year and past it. I'm going to be honest, I don't like my coarse strands. No matter what I do it stays dry and knotted. And half of my hair is coarse. I once had someone I know tell me they wish they had coarse strands since it's supposed to be more resilient...I just had a blank stare.

Did my wkly wash and deep condition today. The bush is growing in. I so look forward to my trim I scheduled.

Attachments

• image-1488165578.jpg
    image-1488165578.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 72
  • image-498649281.jpg
    image-498649281.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 80
  • image-1095547269.jpg
    image-1095547269.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 80
Did my wkly wash and deep condition today. The bush is growing in. I so look forward to my trim I scheduled. Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Oooo your natural hair looks lush and pretty girl. Idk if I'm going to make it, my hair looks a mess.

Yeah I've done pony tail roller sets but that's about it. This Saturday will make it 21 wks post. My hair is becoming more of a chore as time goes by. I applaud the ladies that have managed to make it close to a year and past it. I'm going to be honest, I don't like my coarse strands. No matter what I do it stays dry and knotted. And half of my hair is coarse. I once had someone I know tell me they wish they had coarse strands since it's supposed to be more resilient...I just had a blank stare.

flyygirlll2

Months 5 and 6 are when things get real. My suggestion is to familiarize yourself with the blow dryer so you can lightly blow dry and then bun. Stretching the roots with a blow dryer should help the dryness and tangles. Are you applying your DC like a relaxer and Dcing with heat? That's essential at this stage.

I'm not sure what you mean by coarse. Do you mean it's rough? Or do you mean the strands are thick? My edges are very rough and so is my nape and the back of my head. It drives me nuts too.
The transitioning sucks at this point , wash days are long and stressful. I feel you. Keep on trucking!

sigh ..y'all make this look soooo easy!!!!

It's gotten easier honestly. I was far more frustrated and found this more challenging earlier on. I have to do a twist out/braid out as a style and keep it moving. I do it nightly to keep it fresh for the following day. I do everything in sections. I wash, detangle, and apply product in sections. Hang in there!!!

flyygirlll2 Months 5 and 6 are when things get real. My suggestion is to familiarize yourself with the blow dryer so you can lightly blow dry and then bun. Stretching the roots with a blow dryer should help the dryness and tangles. Are you applying your DC like a relaxer and Dcing with heat? That's essential at this stage. I'm not sure what you mean by coarse. Do you mean it's rough? Or do you mean the strands are thick? My edges are very rough and so is my nape and the back of my head. It drives me nuts too. The transitioning sucks at this point , wash days are long and stressful. I feel you. Keep on trucking! Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Yeah, I blow-dried my hair last week and it stretched it to a certain extent at least. I used to apply my dc's like a relaxer but it takes too long and my wash days are long enough as it is. I do make sure to Dc with steam each time I wash though. Yes, I meant coarse as in the strands are both thick and rough. The strands are very dark and feels wiry compared to my fine, medium strands. These strands are mainly in my crown area/ nape and some are mixed in other parts of head. My edges are kinda bushy so I can't get it to lay down for nothing sometimes. It's a mess, I've been asking Jesus to take the comb on wash days lol. I go back and forth on what to do next.

flyygirlll2

Do you know your hairs porosity? That might help you figure out which products work for your hair.

I've been on my hair journey for 7 yrs and feel the most confident w/ my long term transition.

Just stopped in to say heeeeeyyyyy

My two year transition was he//.....I LIVED IN A BUN.

But being natural has been so much easier. I learned my hair. Learned what she liked. Kept her strong and treated her gentle. And I could not be happier on a (non humid day) that I kept my length.

Wash day as a natural is a breeze compared to long term transition at about 7-9 months post....

Hang in there, Chicas! There is a light at the end of the tunnel and it's your new growth! LOL ;)

does anyone get sew ins? if so how do you maintain your natural hair underneath and how long do u keep it in?

I get sew-ins, just got one done Saturday. I spray my hair (my hair that's braided underneath) every day or every other day with either a leave-in conditioner or a braid spray to moisturize it. I then follow that with an oil, I use a spray oil since it's easier. I'll massage my scalp with my hands to work it all in since I can't physically get to my hair. I'll wash & condition the sew-in hair every 2 weeks or as needed, this is important if you're using 100% virgin hair to help keep the hair up & keep your hair clean as well. If you're using bundle hair with any curl pattern (body wave, deep wave, loose wave) you want to let those textures air dry. Apply a light leave-in to the hair & your hair & let it air dry completely. If you opt to blow dry do it on low heat & don't manipulate the hair too much. I usually leave my sew-ins in for 2 months because I typically have no problem leaving them in that long. It all depends on how you take care of your hair. Make sure the person doing your sew-in doesn't braid your hair too tightly & that they place a net over your braids before sewing on the hair to protect your real hair. Hope this helps

I get sew-ins, just got one done Saturday. I spray my hair (my hair that's braided underneath) every day or every other day with either a leave-in conditioner or a braid spray to moisturize it. I then follow that with an oil, I use a spray oil since it's easier. I'll massage my scalp with my hands to work it all in since I can't physically get to my hair. I'll wash & condition the sew-in hair every 2 weeks or as needed, this is important if you're using 100% virgin hair to help keep the hair up & keep your hair clean as well. If you're using bundle hair with any curl pattern (body wave, deep wave, loose wave) you want to let those textures air dry. Apply a light leave-in to the hair & your hair & let it air dry completely. If you opt to blow dry do it on low heat & don't manipulate the hair too much. I usually leave my sew-ins in for 2 months because I typically have no problem leaving them in that long. It all depends on how you take care of your hair. Make sure the person doing your sew-in doesn't braid your hair too tightly & that they place a net over your braids before sewing on the hair to protect your real hair. Hope this helps

thanks...yep I have a net....

flyygirlll2 Do you know your hairs porosity? That might help you figure out which products work for your hair. I've been on my hair journey for 7 yrs and feel the most confident w/ my long term transition.

It's funny because before my hair was low porosity, now I don't think that's the case anymore because it doesn't take that long to dry anymore and protein is ok on my hair with the exception of the coarse parts. This is actually my second attempt to transition. I made it to 7 months last time but the shedding, breakage, and knots drove me insane. Feels like déjà vu because I'm going through the same thing like before, so I can't say I'm 100% confident about this transition at this moment based on what's been happening.

Today is wash day and I'm almost sad I prepoo'ed. My hair was soooooo soft/manageable this week, my shedding was minimal and my ends were so smooth.

Cutting out all the "extra's" is doing my hair some good.

Not going to lie....I cannot not wait to play in my natural hair. I'll take to take some progress pics tonight and post them.

Also, to all the new Sitioner's joining the Struggle.......HEY GIRL HEY!:bighug:

Today is wash day and I'm almost sad I prepoo'ed. My hair was soooooo soft/manageable this week, my shedding was minimal and my ends were so smooth. Cutting out all the "extra's" is doing my hair some good. Not going to lie....I cannot not wait to play in my natural hair. I'll take to take some progress pics tonight and post them. Also, to all the new Sitioner's joining the Struggle.......HEY GIRL HEY!:bighug:

I yearn for soft/manageable hair :-( *will live vicariously through you ladies that manage to keep your hair looking on point through it all.*

Just stopped in to say heeeeeyyyyy

My two year transition was he//.....I LIVED IN A BUN.

But being natural has been so much easier. I learned my hair. Learned what she liked. Kept her strong and treated her gentle. And I could not be happier on a (non humid day) that I kept my length.

Wash day as a natural is a breeze compared to long term transition at about 7-9 months post....

Hang in there, Chicas! There is a light at the end of the tunnel and it's your new growth! LOL ;)

havilland I needed this today, thank you!!

The Camille Rose aloe butter gel is good so far. It's not a gel or a custard as I thought it would be, it's more of a whipped butter. My braid outs/twist outs are pretty soft and moisturized. I'd think naturals prob use a light gel over it for hold maybe?
Ladies post pics if you're comfy doing so, I find it very helpful to see pics of transitioning hair.

Attachments

• image-3621752403.jpg
    image-3621752403.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 59
  • image-421958208.jpg
    image-421958208.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 57
Went to the beach and now my hair is a complete mess! 28 weeks post and I hate my hair :-(
Its my fault though I know...at some point I'll spend an entire day detangling

So I took my texture shots and forgot to upload them :(. When I get home ill upload them.

Here is the bun I did this morning. This was done on air dried/stretched hair.
MyCollage_0.jpg

Last edited:
Back