Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

I did a henna treatment tonight. It's been forever since I did my last henna and that's not good since henna is my only form of protein... Well, my hair feels super strong, detangling session easy, minimal shedding. I need to make sure I do these on the regular, as a long term transitioner they are very beneficial for my hair.

Any of you ladies tried the natural line by Aphogee call Curlific? I bout the deep treatment & the moisture rich leave-in. Haven't tried the treatment yet but I washed & deep conditioned my hair yesterday and applied the moisture rich leave-in, sealed with grapeseed oil & put my hair in about 8-10 twists for a twist out. My hair was sooo soft & moisturized when I took it down the this morning. Considering its a liquid leave-in I had good definition in my twist out as well. I'm considering purchasing the curl definer & shampoo next.

I transitioned for 2 years and 2 months without BC'ing and when I was done I had APL hair. It was the best decision I ever made. Just watch out for the heat. I have super bad heat damage in the front from keeping my hair flat ironed =/

Ahhh I see. I know the frustration of dealing with coarser and dryer areas. It's a challenge. It's good that you are doing things in sections. That helps. Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Yeah those coarse strands are a beast to deal with. I'm finding that my new growth is compact and just clumps together, so I'm just going to try to keep it stretched with blow drying on low heat to cool. I don't really use direct heat but I know my hair can tolerate it as long as it's not excessive.

How much new growth do you need before you decide to wash and condition in sections? I've seen that quite a few ladies do this.

How much new growth do you need before you decide to wash and condition in sections? I've seen that quite a few ladies do this.

Good question. I started washing in sections when I had 1 inch. Maybe It also depends on the texture too because my texture ranges from tight coils to not so tight and it tends to clump together so sectioning was essential. Some parts of my hair are over 2 inches now while others are and inch and a half to 2.

Yeah those coarse strands are a beast to deal with. I'm finding that my new growth is compact and just clumps together, so I'm just going to try to keep it stretched with blow drying on low heat to cool. I don't really use direct heat but I know my hair can tolerate it as long as it's not excessive.
I knowww, I knowwww... I use to get very upset and curse my hair lol. That's when I was like screw this and started using my blow dryer or getting my roots blown occassionally. Oddly, I will say for some reason now. My hair just feels easier to manage. I retwisted my hair last night with no problem. I wasn't fighting with it. I'm thinking it's possibly b/c my new growth is somewhat stretched from the original twistout I did on Saturday. It was the washing and airdrying will all my hair pulled back earlier on that made my new growth INCREDIBLY compacted and a pain to deal with. That was a learning curve for me. If I knew this, I would have started to get in the habit of doing twist outs/braid outs from like month 4 lol. Instead, I was trying to let it airdry and then the roots shrivel up and it was like snap, crackle, pop to get my fingers through the back. I also figure that I better get in the habit of frequently twisting/braiding my hair b/c that's what I'll be doing when I'm fully natural. Might as well get use to doing it nightly or a few times a week from now.

I started prob about month 4/5. It makes things much easier and I feel like I get a better clean and handling on my hair.

LAWD! I went to chop a small section in the nape area so I can test products while I transition on that section. AND I chickened out! I couldn't do it. LOL! I have 3 inches of new growth with 50% shrinkage. This will be a LONG transition. Goodness. I may actually make it to my 40th birthday in 3.5 years before I chop.

I can't stand these relaxed ends. I may end up doing a minichop. I plan to straighten next time I wash and I just bought some new scissors.

I'm :look: inverting. I just started, so I don't know if it'll work, but whatever it takes to speed up this transition! :lol:

I can't stand these relaxed ends. I may end up doing a minichop. I plan to straighten next time I wash and I just bought some new scissors.

I'm :look: inverting. I just started, so I don't know if it'll work, but whatever it takes to speed up this transition! :lol:

LOL! I'm taking Andrew Lessman HSN, tho I don't see a difference in anything I figure it can't hurt. I wouldn't mind the extra help with growth lol. I need a GOOD TRIM too, not sure if 2 inches qualifies as a trim or cut lol.
When I was doing my twist out this weekend, the new growth part swells and looks so plump then you get down to the relaxed ends ... and really see the difference.

I knowww, I knowwww... I use to get very upset and curse my hair lol. That's when I was like screw this and started using my blow dryer or getting my roots blown occassionally. Oddly, I will say for some reason now. My hair just feels easier to manage. I retwisted my hair last night with no problem. I wasn't fighting with it. I'm thinking it's possibly b/c my new growth is somewhat stretched from the original twistout I did on Saturday. It was the washing and airdrying will all my hair pulled back earlier on that made my new growth INCREDIBLY compacted and a pain to deal with. That was a learning curve for me. If I knew this, I would have started to get in the habit of doing twist outs/braid outs from like month 4 lol. Instead, I was trying to let it airdry and then the roots shrivel up and it was like snap, crackle, pop to get my fingers through the back. I also figure that I better get in the habit of frequently twisting/braiding my hair b/c that's what I'll be doing when I'm fully natural. Might as well get use to doing it nightly or a few times a week from now. I started prob about month 4/5. It makes things much easier and I feel like I get a better clean and handling on my hair.

Your braid outs look cute. I've only had one successful braid out and after that every time I've attempted to do one it looks like a hot mess. Even bantu knot out look like like who did it and why. Since where I live has been bitterly cold, I don't wear my hair out anyway. But at this point I'm hoping the blow dryer will be my saving grace cause air drying is a hell no at this point in the game.

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

Your braid outs look cute. I've only had one successful braid out and after that every time I've attempted to do one it looks like a hot mess. Even bantu knot out look like like who did it and why. Since where I live has been bitterly cold, I don't wear my hair out anyway. But at this point I'm hoping the blow dryer will be my saving grace cause air drying is a hell no at this point in the game.

Yeahhh, I was airdrying right up until fall... so mostly throughout the summer.

Thank you! I'm still learning and tweaking as I go along.
I haven't figured out how to properly secure bantu knots, and I also find them uncomfy to sleep on. I have some time to figure that out though, I think bantu knot outs look FABBBBBBB on natural hair when it gains some length. Ooooh wee, it's pretty lol !

At least you have the blow dryer to help you along right now.

LOL! I'm taking Andrew Lessman HSN, tho I don't see a difference in anything I figure it can't hurt. I wouldn't mind the extra help with growth lol. I need a GOOD TRIM too, not sure if 2 inches qualifies as a trim or cut lol.
When I was doing my twist out this weekend, the new growth part swells and looks so plump then you get down to the relaxed ends ... and really see the difference.
Yep. *playing in my newgrowth* :lol:

I need to pick a vitamin and take it
Hairfinity priteva?? I need to hurry this along as much as possible

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Well I mini chopped my sideburns on the right side and I can not stop playing with my springy curl. I am trying out products for wash and gos on it. I applied tresemme naturals conditioner and put argon oil ecostyler gel on top. I did do a finger coil on it and it was dry this morning.

ETA sorry for the close up scalp pic. My hubby took it. LOL!

Attachments

• image-2600309472.jpg
    image-2600309472.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 50
LAWD! I went to chop a small section in the nape area so I can test products while I transition on that section. AND I chickened out! I couldn't do it. LOL! I have 3 inches of new growth with 50% shrinkage. This will be a LONG transition. Goodness. I may actually make it to my 40th birthday in 3.5 years before I chop.

I did this early on in my transition, I cut an area of the back of my hair. I coils when wet, when it's dry it just kinda sticks up I guess. I gave my hair a mid week quick wash last night and before I got in the shower I realized that area I cut is def gaining length.

I have breakage. I didn't have this up until now. I combed out my braid out last night and shirt and sink was full of small tiny hairs. My relaxed section looks even more thin and lifeless. It didn't look and feel as noticeable before. As I looked at my wet hair in the mirror, I totally get why some transitioners get to the point where they chop sooner than they'd planned for. Ohhh I get it. I've seen some transitioners with relaxed ends whose ends still have some weight to it (like Nina Pruitt)and they don't want to part quite yet with it -- I get it. Then there are some who really just end up with strands of relaxed hair attached to the afro growing from their scalp -- we'll I'm def teetering in that territory now. Also, was I was doing my damp braid out last night I could feel the relaxed ends popping as I was braiding. Ahhh, I'm glad I was able to make it all the way up until now for breakage to start. If my hair was popping off earlier on I'd prob be a bit more discouraged. Now, I'm kinda like whateva... it's to be expected.

Britt
Yeah the breakage is stressful right? That's why I was freaking out. I'm pretty sure mine broke off so early because my hair is super bonelaxed.
It looks like I'll have to push back my weave appointment until the 31st ugh

I'm 7 months post tomorrow !!

I did this early on in my transition, I cut an area of the back of my hair. I coils when wet, when it's dry it just kinda sticks up I guess. I gave my hair a mid week quick wash last night and before I got in the shower I realized that area I cut is def gaining length. I have breakage. I didn't have this up until now. I combed out my braid out last night and shirt and sink was full of small tiny hairs. My relaxed section looks even more thin and lifeless. It didn't look and feel as noticeable before. As I looked at my wet hair in the mirror, I totally get why some transitioners get to the point where they chop sooner than they'd planned for. Ohhh I get it. I've seen some transitioners with relaxed ends whose ends still have some weight to it (like Nina Pruitt)and they don't want to part quite yet with it -- I get it. Then there are some who really just end up with strands of relaxed hair attached to the afro growing from their scalp -- we'll I'm def teetering in that territory now. Also, was I was doing my damp braid out last night I could feel the relaxed ends popping as I was braiding. Ahhh, I'm glad I was able to make it all the way up until now for breakage to start. If my hair was popping off earlier on I'd prob be a bit more discouraged. Now, I'm kinda like whateva... it's to be expected.

Have you tried regular reconstructor treatments. My relaxed hair is striving and I am mad that it is. LOL! It seems like my no lye relaxed hair broke off easily but the lye relaxed hair is thicker and stronger.

I braid on mostly dried hair. Relaxed hair when wet is prone to breakage. But natural hair when dry is prone to breakage. So I detangle my new growth when wet and my relaxed hair when dry. I use joico kpak weekly as well.

I did chop my sideburns and my shrinkage is worse than I thought. 3 inches stretched and only 1 inch shrunken. The struggle is real.

@Britt
Yeah the breakage is stressful right? That's why I was freaking out. I'm pretty sure mine broke off so early because my hair is super bonelaxed.
It looks like I'll have to push back my weave appointment until the 31st ugh

I'm 7 months post tomorrow !!

CONGRATSSSSSS sharifeh :hug2: !!!! You're hanging in there just fine. My hair was relaxed damn near bone straight too... soo yeah, it's fine ends attached to a fro.

Have you tried regular reconstructor treatments. My relaxed hair is striving and I am mad that it is. LOL! It seems like my no lye relaxed hair broke off easily but the lye relaxed hair is thicker and stronger.

I braid on mostly dried hair. Relaxed hair when wet is prone to breakage. But natural hair when dry is prone to breakage. So I detangle my new growth when wet and my relaxed hair when dry. I use joico kpak weekly as well.

I did chop my sideburns and my shrinkage is worse than I thought. 3 inches stretched and only 1 inch shrunken. The struggle is real.
bebezazueta yesss mammm... I actually did a good protein treatment this past weekend. My relaxed ends just feel weaker. I honestly can't say I've experienced any of this up until now. I just noticed that on the very bottom left of my nape, there's no relaxed strands longer attached to that part.

The tides are turning lol. I remember months 7/8/9 I would get occassional rollersets at the Dominican salon and my relaxed sections were still in tact and looked fine as I got my hair rollerset. I'll be getting my hair trimmed/cut and flat ironed soon so I'll assess things then.

I have the feeling that I'm going to make APL (and maybe more) while transitioning for a year. I think that will make it harder to chop. So I'm contemplating cutting as I grow - so chop an inch as I grow an inch. That way I won't be tempted to relax again so I can see my length. On the other hand, I've never had hair long than it is right now, so it would be nice to see if it could actually grow to longer lengths. :drunk: I'm so confused...

I have the feeling that I'm going to make APL (and maybe more) while transitioning for a year. I think that will make it harder to chop. So I'm contemplating cutting as I grow - so chop an inch as I grow an inch. That way I won't be tempted to relax again so I can see my length. On the other hand, I've never had hair long than it is right now, so it would be nice to see if it could actually grow to longer lengths. :drunk: I'm so confused...

I could understand that, I've trimmed twice in January and I'll dust here and there. I'm not far from MBL right now even with the trims I had, but I have reached MBL before and was close to WL but I was always trimming and cutting my hair to make it even because it grows into a v shape. I'm hanging in there for now, but I'm not going to pretend I don't have the urge to relax. I've had issues with curbing the shedding and breakage so it's been very difficult to say the least.

CONGRATSSSSSS sharifeh :hug2: !!!! You're hanging in there just fine. My hair was relaxed damn near bone straight too... soo yeah, it's fine ends attached to a fro. bebezazueta yesss mammm... I actually did a good protein treatment this past weekend. My relaxed ends just feel weaker. I honestly can't say I've experienced any of this up until now. I just noticed that on the very bottom left of my nape, there's no relaxed strands longer attached to that part. The tides are turning lol. I remember months 7/8/9 I would get occassional rollersets at the Dominican salon and my relaxed sections were still in tact and looked fine as I got my hair rollerset. I'll be getting my hair trimmed/cut and flat ironed soon so I'll assess things then.

Wait you have gorgeous hair from what I remember! Yea I'm sure I'll experience more breakage deeper into my stretch. Can't wait to see pics of your flat ironed hair

This is the first real look at my new growth. It's more than I though! Yay for progress. But also I thought I've been texlaxing. But that super thin hair attached is telling me otherwise! I can't stop looking at this picture! Lol

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140306_142819.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140306_142819.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 38
Back