Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

bebezazueta I'm sorry I typed a reply but fell asleep before I could send it lol... But thanks!!! I don't do anything special, prepoo, wash/condition and deep condition, apply a very small amount of oils and heat protectant, rollerset, flat iron and wrap at night.
I love rollersetting and have been doing it myself since 05, but after I had my 8mo old I just didn't have the time but I will be getting back into it! I really think it's the healthiest way I can straighten my hair

I need help! I'm starting to experience excessive breakage * tears* I am seeing a lot of short broken hairs everywhere.. Seriously. they are on my shirt, on the floor, whenever I run my hands through my hair or a comb, they are there. I have a lot of shed hairs coming out as well. My hair is becoming a hassle at this point to deal with.

Decided to redo the nape of my braids to hold on to braids for another few weeks. I'll take them down to blowout my hair and length check in Mid March.

I need help! I'm starting to experience excessive breakage * tears* I am seeing a lot of short broken hairs everywhere.. Seriously. they are on my shirt, on the floor, whenever I run my hands through my hair or a comb, they are there. I have a lot of shed hairs coming out as well. My hair is becoming a hassle at this point to deal with.
I was having the exact same experience...I needed a hard protein and a good trim-stopped the breakage in its tracks. Aphogee two-minute is a mid-level but the two-step is a hard protein. Make sure you follow the protein with a serious moisturizing condish. Good luck.

I was having the exact same experience...I needed a hard protein and a good trim-stopped the breakage in its tracks. Aphogee two-minute is a mid-level but the two-step is a hard protein. Make sure you follow the protein with a serious moisturizing condish. Good luck.

I second this. I've been having the same problem. My straight ends just don't respond well my regimen that works so well on my natural hair. I keep getting breakage and splits while my natural hair. thrives. I trimmed off 1/2 an inch and my hair looks and feels soooo much better. Currently 27 weeks post.

Oil your hair. Detangle. Clarfify. And then reinforce that demarcation line with a hard protein treatment followed by a super moisture conditioner. I used aphogee two step every six weeks like clockwork when I was transitioning. Choose a hard protein that works for you.

Trim your ends! They are old and chemically treated and weak. Trim some. You don't have to cut all your hair off but trim and inch or two if needed.

Next thing....not sure of your regimen but you have to deep condition every week. I would recommend twice a week. Some ladies can get away with not doing that. You can't as evidenced by your hair's response.

Also. Make sure you are moisturizing and sealing a few times a week.

Pm me if you need more help.

Good luck!

I have been lurking in this thread since I relaxed again :lachen:. Well I finally got brave enough to admit that relaxing was a mistake and not for me. But a TWA (again) isn't for me either, nor is cutting off my all of this hair a year or 2 from now :nono:. So in March, for my birthday, I'm locing my hair :grin:. My plan is to keep up with my current reggie until then, and adjust to less frequent washing during the first month or two of my baby locs.
My regimen until loc day:
1. Cowash and DC 1x/week
2. Protein DC and clarify 1x/month
3. use Optimum Opti pH every other week
4. Apply leave-in, seal with pomade or grease and air dry
5. PS for the week

It's going to take 1.5-2 years for my natural hair to catch up to the length of my relaxed hair (CBL-APL). My goal/plan is to keep growing my locs out and once my natural hair reaches BSL, start cutting off chunks of my relaxed ends twice a year. So yeah, this is going to be a loooooong transition :lachen:

Last edited:
What products are you using?

This happened to me when my hair was protein overloaded. If you have coarse, thick hair, lay off the protein. If your strands are fine, you might be in need of it.

Omg, I did it. :)

Pics later.

As promised, my length check! I big chopped two months ago. :) (More about it on my blog.)

Anyway, thank you, girls, for being such a supportive group in my 30-month transition period. Even though I didn't make it to the full 36 months, I am thrilled with what I have accomplished. Good luck on all your journeys! I'll check this thread every now and then. It's impossible for me to leave it completely. :)

Attachments

• 2014-01-24 22.09.19.jpg
    2014-01-24 22.09.19.jpg
    432.9 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Oil your hair. Detangle. Clarfify. And then reinforce that demarcation line with a hard protein treatment followed by a super moisture conditioner. I used aphogee two step every six weeks like clockwork when I was transitioning. Choose a hard protein that works for you. Trim your ends! They are old and chemically treated and weak. Trim some. You don't have to cut all your hair off but trim and inch or two if needed. Next thing....not sure of your regimen but you have to deep condition every week. I would recommend twice a week. Some ladies can get away with not doing that. You can't as evidenced by your hair's response. Also. Make sure you are moisturizing and sealing a few times a week. Pm me if you need more help. Good luck!

I ended up doing a hard protein treatment using Komaza protein strengthener then I followed up by deep conditioning with steam. I also did a trim, I took off about an inch. I still see short broken hair, just not the same amount that caused alarm before that. I'm just going to play it by ear so to speak and see how things go from here on out. I wash and dc every week, well at least I try to. I didn't wash last week though because I had stuff going on, I also work overnight so sometimes I'm just honestly too tired. I do my hair on my days off because it takes so long. I'm going to try to see if I can wash twice a week, but with the way my life has been going lately I don't know because I've been dealing with a lot of stress.

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

What products are you using? This happened to me when my hair was protein overloaded. If you have coarse, thick hair, lay off the protein. If your strands are fine, you might be in need of it.
For shampoo, I've been using Shea moisture moisture retention shampoo or as I am Cowash. For conditioners, I'll use HE hello hydration. The dc's I've been using lately are Silk Dreams avocado pudding on top of my tea rinse. I was moisturizing my new growth with Darcy Botanicals lemongrass transitioning cream mixed with their herbal leave in spray since the transitioning cream is so thick. I just recently started moisturizing my new growth with Komaza's aloe my hair leave in, at first I was in love with it but then a day later my new growth felt like a crunchy brillo pad. But you may be right about the protein overload because before discovering all the breakage, my last wash I had used Aphogee 2 min and followed up with a leave in that had protein in it smh. My problem is I have a combination of coarse, medium, and fine strands... So parts of my hair have different needs it feels like. I wish my hair was not a combination of textures.

It's funny because before joining the hair boards, I never used protein and my hair thrived fine without it and I always retained length.

Last edited:
I ended up doing a hard protein treatment using Komaza protein strengthener then I followed up by deep conditioning with steam. I also did a trim, I took off about an inch. I still see short broken hair, just not the same amount that caused alarm before that. I'm just going to play it by ear so to speak and see how things go from here on out. I wash and dc every week, well at least I try to. I didn't wash last week though because I had stuff going on, I also work overnight so sometimes I'm just honestly too tired. I do my hair on my days off because it takes so long. I'm going to try to see if I can wash twice a week, but with the way my life has been going lately I don't know because I've been dealing with a lot of stress.

Sounds good. When I was at this point in my transition I trimmed a little bit every month or so. 1/4 inch here...1/8 inch there. It kept me from having breakage.

Good luck

Conair Pro Silver Bird Professional AC Turbo Hair Dryer

Its amazing its 2000 watts and the comb hasn't broken in the six years I have had it and i had have thick coarse hair.

Straighten/Curled my hair today...HELLO HAIR BREAK! I'm going to enjoy these two weeks.

64166_710949555605449_1338942300_n.jpg

I will be washing my hair today. I put Haitian castor oil on my hair and baggied overnight. I'm going to try to cowash my hair which is not something I typically do, but I need some moisture since my hair feels dry no matter what I do. I have some Ayurvedic powders that I might mix into my conditioner. I'm still experiencing some breakage and shedding despite the protein treatment and trim. I realize I get a lot of breakage and shedding when I stretch for too long, it has done more damage than good in the past. I don't want to give up just yet.

I'm just going to assume I need moisture and go from there. one of the short broken hairs I saw was blonde where the new growth began but the rest was black. That just freaked me out because I don't even have blonde in my hair.

Last edited:
Got my hair weaved up yesterday. Might rock out with installs until my big chop.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Attachments

• image-786372206.jpg
    image-786372206.jpg
    410.5 KB · Views: 73
I am planning to take down my braids in the next 1-2 weeks and I really want to baby my hair. I have .5 to .75 inches of new growth throughout my head and I want to really moisturize that. I plan to deep condition like a mad woman under the dryer for maybe an hour. Any other suggestions?

Back