Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

@bebezazueta What type of gel are you using?

Girls I'm having the craziest problem. I can't get all my hair in a ponytail. Meaning it'll still be puffy like I made it loose on purpose which is not the goal :look: Do I have to pull and smooth a little harder before putting the ponytail holder on? The back is the worst. I didn't want to pull too hard but now I see I may have to.

How far along are you? If you're trying to comb dry hair from root to tip that might be hard getting your ponytail to be as smooth/slick as you desire.

How far along are you? If you're trying to comb dry hair from root to tip that might be hard getting your ponytail to be as smooth/slick as you desire.

I braided this week just to stretch my hair a little so I didn't try to comb. Just raked with my fingers. No idea how many weeks post I am :look: I relaxed last February and had an underprocessed corrective in July so I'm clueless as to how to count my weeks post.

I want that juicy, slick, curls and waves look to my buns. I got the texture part down but they aren't juicy and slick looking. What am I doing wrong?

I'd like to know how to get a sleek bun too. My hair so so thick it just looks poofy.

I'm right at 16 weeks post which isn't very far but it is the farthest I've gone without a relaxer. Last time I relaxed it was at 16 weeks and I could've gone farther but my friend was in town and I'd rather her do it for me than have to myself. I'm thinking I'll prob have a hard time around 20 weeks or so but smooth sailing so far. I'm in a braid out bun. Edges a lil rough but with it being so curly it don't matter. Lol.

bebezazueta What type of gel are you using? Girls I'm having the craziest problem. I can't get all my hair in a ponytail. Meaning it'll still be puffy like I made it loose on purpose which is not the goal :look: Do I have to pull and smooth a little harder before putting the ponytail holder on? The back is the worst. I didn't want to pull too hard but now I see I may have to.

It took me a while to get here. I got great advice from EnExitStageLeft She recommended the pink ecostyler gel. But here's what I did:

Shampoo - african black soap shampoo (sulfate free)
Protein - joico kpak knockoff from Sally's Moisture - nexxus humectress knockoff from Sally's
Soak up the excess water in tshirt for 15 minutes Liquid leave in - yellow roux treatment and shine (moisture)
Creamy leave in- Giovanni direct leave in

I detangle in the shower while rinsing moisturizing DC out I do a light detangle and using my hands I start to work up or down in a ponytail. Yes my arms were hurting and it took a few minutes. Take 1 hand and hold your pony and then I used elasta qp mango butter around my edgers and nape. Smooth that through. Then I took pink Eco styler gel and did the same. Smoothing with my hands. When you have your desired look. Secure with ouch less band.

This lasts until I wash it out. I touch up my edges with coconut oil, elasta qp mango butter or Eco styler depending if I need shine, moisture or hold. I either bun, braid or flexi rod set my ponytail. I don't take down my bun and I am not experiencing breakage. My hair is 4A coarse and the protein moisture balance keeps it resilient.
HTH!

ETA SuchaLady freckledface at first I wasn't putting enough gel. So after I apply it, I turn to the side to see if I still see curls/frizz. If I do, I apply more. You have to attack them edges from all angles. LOL! My edges are 4b, everything else is a course 4a except my fragile nape which is a fine 4a

Last edited:
EnExitStageLeft great post thank toy for doing that for us! Question/opinion my hair is so thick and I'm half texlaxed half bone straight. Do you think I should or could do multiple ponytails? I don't think that one would get the top portion of my hair straight or stretched like I want it.

bebezazueta Your routine is similar to mine. Really similar. Some of the same products as well (knock off Kpak and Eco) First I do a Sulfate free shampoo, light protein treatment, DC. Then a good moisturizer followed by smoothing my hair up with my gel. Formerly, it was Eco Styler Olive or Clear. They are the Max hold and it's not working anymore. It's defining my curls and waves not slicking my hair.

Last edited:
bebezazueta Your routine is similar to mine. Really similar. Some of the same products as well (knock off Kpak and Eco) First I do a Sulfate free shampoo, light protein treatment, DC. Then a good moisturizer followed by smoothing my hair up with my gel. Formerly, it was Eco Styler Olive or Clear. They are the Max hold and it's not working anymore. It's defining my curls and waves not slicking my hair.

Yep that was happening to me too with argan oil ecostyler. For some reason, smoothing with my hands made a difference. I don't brush or comb my edges cause it will curl up. I think the butter weighs it down and then the gel holds the smoothing in place?

@SuchaLady

I pull my ponytails taunt not tight. That way my bun is sleek without the pull. Also, the sleekness on my bun is an optical illusion. I literally take a fine tooth comb and smooth the outer layer of my hair to make it appear more uniform. I then follow with my Boar bristle brush to make it even more sleek. @bebezazueta Gave you some awesome advice. People have different gel preferences. I prefer my gels to be Aloe based or at least include it in the ingredients. I find that they provide great hold without the crunch or flakes.

I literally use my gel everyday and I still don't have any. It usually doesn't accumulate until after 2 weeks of consistent use without washing (I rarely go 2 weeks between washes). Even then I can apply a small amount of oil and the flakes aren't noticeable at all.

Last edited:
I'm a transitioner checking in. My last relaxer was November 3 2013. I have a long way to go lol. I have increased my water intake and doing the ghe to speed up my growth. I am also thinking about getting some hairfinity vitamins. My affirmation: my hair is growing super fast :-)

I'm a transitioner checking in. My last relaxer was November 3 2013. I have a long way to go lol. I have increased my water intake and doing the ghe to speed up my growth. I am also thinking about getting some hairfinity vitamins. My affirmation: my hair is growing super fast :-)

I was thinking of hairfinity too, i dont think it would actually speed up my transition by much, maybe a month hehe but i feel like taking them would make me feel better :lol:

I don't. My hair is stretched 100% percent of the time. I band my hair ALL the time. While its still there....its not as obvious.

And honey if air drying aint working Use a blow dryer weekly. Or maybe even roller set.

there are some transitioners who have excellent retention that way.

:hug2: don't let it get you down

EnExitStageLeft how often are you washing your hair? what dc do you usually use?

thank you :bighug:

I was thinking of hairfinity too, i dont think it would actually speed up my transition by much, maybe a month hehe but i feel like taking them would make me feel better :lol:

I follow hairfinity on ig and they have a lot of successful before and after pics

I'm trying to get as much growth as possible in a year because I'm already anxious and its only been 2 months lol.

sharifeh

I usually go any between 7-14 days in spring/Fall/Winter.

and 3-7 days in the summer

As for DC's....girl I'mma PJ. But my Favorites include Silk Dreams DC's, Naturelle Grow DC's or Sally's GVP Version of Matrix Biolage Conditoning Balm

Also, Do you use cones?

I'm low to no cone so all my options are cone free. I only use cones in my leave ins and rinsing conditioner (to detangle post DC) when I straighten.

I also ALWAYS use heat to dc. My hair just responds better. Also I always shampoo prior to using any protein treatments. They penetrate better this way.

Also, when was the last time your clarified your hair?? Have you ever chelated before? Maybe that'll help. It may be build-up causing you hair to tangle and become dry quickly.

Also, how do you detangle? Inside or out the shower?

TIA AND HTH's!:bighug:

Hey ladies just posting my wash results, 17 months in... I realized that I have to roller set my hair because blow drying and flat ironing never leaves my hair the way I want it. I'm sure it's my technique but I don't have time to figure out a better way right now so I'll just have to make time sit under the dryer

image-752510268.jpg

image-1631212436.jpg

image-2313843005.jpg

image-2057100013.jpg

image-712503992.jpg

image-1170657488.jpg

image-83505431.jpg

Hey ladies just posting my wash results, 17 months in... I realized that I have to roller set my hair because blow drying and flat ironing never leaves my hair the way I want it. I'm sure it's my technique but I don't have time to figure out a better way right now so I'll just have to make time sit under the dryer

Wow! You did a great job. Now I need more details. I was a roller setting queen and if I can roller set during this transition I will be happy. Did you flat iron after the roller set. Please share the deets.

Ok, I think I'm going to try this again. Just order my wig and so there is no need to keep relaxing my hair. I am most likely going to wig it until my hair is SL or APL natural.

Well, let the church say amen! because I'm starting to think that Komaza's aloe my hair leave in is the truth! I spent over 2 hours today sectioning my hair and applying the leave in on my new growth as well as the rest of my hair, sealed with Keraveda brahmi/fenugreek oil and Nubianheritage repair and extend butter on my ends. I twisted all the sections and put them in a bun. I had some knots, but I was able to get all of them out by using oil on my fingers.

My new growth feels moisturized now, I'm hoping this leave in continues to work this miracle cause God knows the struggle is real dealing with various textures and dryness lol. On another note, after I was done twisting my hair I noticed I'm past BSL but since my hair grows naturally into a v shape which is annoying sometimes, I won't claim MBL just yet. I haven't done a length check since October which was my last touch up. I was about an inch or so from BSL then, leaving my hair alone works best for me apparently. Sent from my iPad using LHCF

Last edited:
Officially joining after lurking for years! I am 4 months post relaxer this saturday. The transition has been quite a breeze thus far since i am blowdrying my hair almost every weekend. I cant wait to see what in store

picture.php

picture.php

sharifeh

I usually go any between 7-14 days in spring/Fall/Winter.

and 3-7 days in the summer

As for DC's....girl I'mma PJ. But my Favorites include Silk Dreams DC's, Naturelle Grow DC's or Sally's GVP Version of Matrix Biolage Conditoning Balm

Also, Do you use cones?

I'm low to no cone so all my options are cone free. I only use cones in my leave ins and rinsing conditioner (to detangle post DC) when I straighten.

I also ALWAYS use heat to dc. My hair just responds better. Also I always shampoo prior to using any protein treatments. They penetrate better this way.

Also, when was the last time your clarified your hair?? Have you ever chelated before? Maybe that'll help. It may be build-up causing you hair to tangle and become dry quickly.

Also, how do you detangle? Inside or out the shower?

TIA AND HTH's!:bighug:

Although I've come a long way, I'm a pj too :lol: EnExitStageLeft By chance, A lot of my products don't have cones, like I have sitrinillah, qhemet moringa, silk dreams DCs etc. but I don't intentionally avoid cones or anything.
My leave ins have cones for sure, like chi silk infusion.
I'm thinking about buying the mizani thermasmooth system to help me along.
It has good reviews.
I have also started using heat every time i Dc. It does make a difference I agree.

I detangle inside the shower. If i'm roller setting, i have to detangle each section as well but it's still wet at that point. I usually saturate it with chi silk infusion.

Clarified? I used Qhemets egyptian wheatgrass shampoo last time I cleansed. I haven't chelated in awhile no, what chelating shampoo do you use?

i'm 21 weeks post and no problems really. I am wigging it this right now and flat ironing the front of my hair so it blends and looks more natural.. my hair is in celie plaits under the wig so its easy to moisturize my hair. I also put perm rods on the front of my hair to keep it straight.

i'm trying to make my hair last longer without rewashing.. so washing every 2 weeks but moisturizing more often

sharifeh

I love and live by Elucence Moisture Acidfying Shampoo. I'd use that stuff weekly if I could :love:. Definitely my holy grail in terms of clarifiers/chelators.

...And girl I hear you about being a PJ. I'm first class. I made had a AHHHHAAAAA moment today though. I honestly love Silk Dreams and Naturelle Grow, so once I use my remainders I think I'll stick to them from her on out.

EnExitStageLeft

ok since I dont have much shampoo, I'll try out the elucence, where do you order it from?

what DC do you use from naturelle grow? I need to find a DC that my (4b?) natural hair really likes, her stuff seems affordable and good

sharifeh

I buy it on Ebay or Curlmart. I say get it from curlmart, because I they have a 15% off coupon: WELCOME

As for NaturelleGrow I love her Herbal Blends DC, Her Marshmallow Root, Slippery Elm and Cinnamon DC and I heard her Mango and Coconut Water DC was good too. ALL and I mean ALL of her DC's have cone like slip. I just can't get enough.

Britt loves them too. Her review almost made me buy more and I already have plenty lol

sharifeh I buy it on Ebay or Curlmart. I say get it from curlmart, because I they have a 15% off coupon: WELCOME As for NaturelleGrow I love her Herbal Blends DC, Her Marshmallow Root, Slippery Elm and Cinnamon DC and I heard her Mango and Coconut Water DC was good too. ALL and I mean ALL of her DC's have cone like slip. I just can't get enough. Britt loves them too. Her review almost made me buy more and I already have plenty lol

Yes!!! I hv like 4 of her conditioners in my fridge along with her leave in and I like her hair moisturizer as well ! Her dc's all perform well on my hair. I hv no need or desire to buy deep conditioners for a long time, so long as these remain fresh.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Ugghhh..... I'm getting really frustrated with my hair now. I feel like if i even look at my hair, it will knot up and tangle. The coarse portions of my hair make me want to scream. My hair is still in twist but my hair and roots felt dry as all get out :-( I just finished M&S again and of course it took me forever. I'm not even looking forward to washing my hair...just so aggravated.
Rant over.

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

I am 11 months post today :woohoo:. Got my hair flat ironed on Saturday so it's pretty silky and straight right now. I'm trying to get some more hair from Extensions Plus and would like a weave maybe for the rest of my transition.

Hi, Ladies:wave::wave:

Well I can't believe I made it, but I'll be 1 year post Saturday! My hubby and kids are begging me to wear my hair out more. They love it because I look like a lioness! Its actually waaaay more hair than I've ever had to deal with.

I gotta work it out for my loved ones!

Back