Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

I have tried raid outs, twist outs,and antsy knots but they look anorexic with my thin ends and only last a day! have to retwist/braid daily and that's too much manipulation. I end up with hair in my hands after each twist/braid

Aw I wish I could help. I don't like wearing extensions so I'm not much of a help.

^^^I have and I ♥ it, i mix it with water and grapeseed oil in a spray bottle. Not sure of the ratios but I put enough cond to thicken up the mixture.

4 months away from my 2 year mark. I washed my hair yesterday and I was quite frustrated. There is still no real pattern and the front is semi-straight. Could be from heat awhile back but seriously...I've laid off enough to have some kind of textures up there. Most of my relaxed ends have broken off and I highly doubt I'll have to much to cut come July. In all honesty I could just cut now and it probably wouldn't make a difference.

I also realized I have no idea what to do with my hair. I either wear a wig or pull it back and right now I'm kind of tired of weaves. I miss when I could rock my own hair and feel great. Yet I want to keep it hidden away for the next few months so it'll grow.

I have the same issue! I limit straightening to 2x a year (at least 6 months apart)...now I'm thinking of just not straightening anymore until after I big chop. My last press was December 2012 but the curls in the very front of my hair are almost nonexistent. The back of my hair appears to be 4a (and perfectly intact as far as natural textures go) but I can't be too sure until I cut off the relaxed ends.

Last edited:
Does anyone use Tresemee Naturals as a leave in?

I have. It works very well! I personally could not stand the smell and plus it gave me a slightly ashy residue when dried. Other than that it made my hair very soft!

its good for the price though especially if you like cone free conditioners. I have moved on to other(better:look::lol:) leave ins though.

I found a product that worked wonders in getting my hair to revert back to curly. When I washed my hair recently It wasn't curling back even after I had wet it and put my regular protien treatment on it. It looked like i had a texturizer. (that salon heat is no joke!)

Once I cracked open a vial of Salerm Vegetable placenta reconstructor my curls bounced back with the quickness. I think I will always have this in my stash!

4 months away from my 2 year mark. I washed my hair yesterday and I was quite frustrated. There is still no real pattern and the front is semi-straight. Could be from heat awhile back but seriously...I've laid off enough to have some kind of textures up there. Most of my relaxed ends have broken off and I highly doubt I'll have to much to cut come July. In all honesty I could just cut now and it probably wouldn't make a difference.

I also realized I have no idea what to do with my hair. I either wear a wig or pull it back and right now I'm kind of tired of weaves. I miss when I could rock my own hair and feel great. Yet I want to keep it hidden away for the next few months so it'll grow.

i feel you.....this is me too. i'm either bunning or wigging....every once in awhile i wear a ponytail, like once a week. just for a break. but i am hiding my hair right now. it's just easier.

I found a product that worked wonders in getting my hair to revert back to curly. When I washed my hair recently It wasn't curling back even after I had wet it and put my regular protien treatment on it. It looked like i had a texturizer. (that salon heat is no joke!)

Once I cracked open a vial of Salerm Vegetable placenta reconstructor my curls bounced back with the quickness. I think I will always have this in my stash!

where do you find Salerm products? BSS or online? I can't find them anywhere....

Hi y'all! I'm a long time lurker and a newbie member! I'm currently transitioning to natural hair. My last relaxer was in November and currently I've got around 4-5 inches of new growth with SL hair. My goal is to hopefully be able to transition until atleast December of this year and hopefully I can last until next July without cutting my hair. My hair has been a struggle lately though especially with my bleached ends and my roots in addition to the different textures. But now that I've kind of formed a regimen and dyed my hair to one color all throughout it's gotten much better.

Sorry about the loooooong winded intro. Glad to be a member of LHCF!! HHG :)

Beamed straight to you from the mythical galaxy of my iPhone

Welcome! I hope you enjoy your stay here. :yep:

Hi y'all! I'm a long time lurker and a newbie member! I'm currently transitioning to natural hair. My last relaxer was in November and currently I've got around 4-5 inches of new growth with SL hair. My goal is to hopefully be able to transition until atleast December of this year and hopefully I can last until next July without cutting my hair. My hair has been a struggle lately though especially with my bleached ends and my roots in addition to the different textures. But now that I've kind of formed a regimen and dyed my hair to one color all throughout it's gotten much better.

Sorry about the loooooong winded intro. Glad to be a member of LHCF!! HHG :)

Beamed straight to you from the mythical galaxy of my iPhone

You've been transitioning since November (2012, I'm assuming) and you already have 4-5 inches of new growth? That's like 1 inch a month! Amazing growth, girlie. :)

Last edited:
I got a great cut from near BSL to NL on dec 9, 2012 and am now FSL (mid-March). I use mega tek every single day (1-22-12) and I just added the GHE (every single solitary day; NO slacking) back to my routine (3-23-13). I have about 5 in. of texturized hair on my head and pretty soon my ng will outnumber my texturized hair. Oh yeah, and my last texturizer was 9/15/13 (currently 28 wks post) I am looking to be APL by Sept 2013. I DO BELIEVE!!!

Last edited:
I got a great cut from near BSL to NL on dec 9, 2012 and am now FSL (mid-March). I use mega tek every single day (1-22-12) and I just added the GHE (every single solitary day; NO slacking) back to my routine (3-23-13). I have about 5 in. of texturized hair on my head and pretty soon my ng will outnumber my texturized hair. Oh yeah, and my last texturizer was 9/15/13 (currently 28 wks post) I am looking to be APL by Sept 2013. I DO BELIEVE!!!

Is megatek a hair supplement? and does it really work? I want to be Full SL by December and I'll do anything to get there.

I'm about 7 months post and I'm thinking about blowdrying my hair 2x a month on med heat. Wonder if that would cause heat damage...any regular heat users in this thread?

I have. It works very well! I personally could not stand the smell and plus it gave me a slightly ashy residue when dried. Other than that it made my hair very soft!

its good for the price though especially if you like cone free conditioners. I have moved on to other(better:look::lol:) leave ins though.

Napp....what leave in do you use now? TIA

Any Transitions plan on taking the plunge this summer 2013? :grin:

In thinking about it. July will be two years for me and I'm going in a cruise in September, I don't want to have to deal with two textures. My only issue is my crown and the left side of my hair in the front has worst shrinkage then the rest. I think it will look funny

sent from my galaxy

Is anyone in here a slow grower? I've only got maybe a 1.5-2 inches and I'm almost 7 months post, smh. My hair has always grown slower than average but now I see just how slow since I'm waiting to get to at least APL before cutting. It just seems like it's gonna take forever!

Hello ladies! I'm 10 weeks post, but decided to do a long-term transition a couple weeks ago. I have no major issues with relaxers, I'm just tired of the chemicals. I've been relaxed since I was about 9. I big chopped in March '10, but texturized in July '10 and fully relaxed in January '11. I went back mostly because it was so time consuming. I have to do 2 of my daughters' hair plus I worked full-time then. Another thing that I've realized after some soul searching is that I had some issues with my texture. I felt like I looked unkempt and unpolished at times. My length also presented an issue for me. I was a lot heavier then and my small head + a twa + my short, wide body = no-no. lol However all the things that kept me from being natural have now been remedied: I'm slimmer, I'm a stay-at-home mom so I have plenty of time to style my hair, and I'm doing a long-term transition so that I'll have some length to work with. I feel like mentally I'm in a better place to deal with accepting my texture. I know that my God doesn't make mistakes and I want to accept me exactly as He created me. It's weird though because I love kinky hair on others. I admire ladies who proudly wear their natural hair and I want to have that same confidence. Anyway, I've been lurking in this thread for tips and inspiration and you ladies have been so helpful already. naturalmanenyc your site is awesome and havilland you are a great source of information and inspiration! I look forward to making the journey with all of you.

luving me

I am transitioning with straight hair but there are times when i will wear it unstraightened too. So far my favorite leave ins are:

novex recovering mix-its a dc but it works great as a leave in too when im not wearing it straight. It makes my hair shiny, defined and smell great. Plus its huge so it lasts for a long time. I really love this product!

I am also loving the argan oil leave in conditioner from novex. It works beautifully on my rollersets and defines my curl really nicley too.

A cheaper alternative is mirta de perales keratin leave in. It doesnt define my curls but it makes for great rollersets expecially when used with the accompanying serum.

A new one that i am currently testing is kismera/kuz hair waxes (straightening and revitalizing) they arent actually like a hard wax at all but are like a thick creamy/gel texture. omg they smell amazing and make my hair look relaxed. Its what was used to straighten my hair in my avatar. Not to mention they define curls like crazy. They are a bit expensive but since not much has to be used to get results, they are very worth it. Its still early, but I think it might be HG worthy.

kbnax -- i am a slow grower......it took me 5 years to go from neck length to bra strap. and even then i am "grazing" bsl, not full bsl. that's why i am long term transitioning. it takes me too long to grow hair. AND the reason why i am cutting chemicals. i am hoping that not relaxing will help with my retention.

LaToya28 -- thank you so much for that shout out. i can't even believe that i am a source of help to anyone! LOL :) i never ever ever ever eeeeeeeeeeeever thought i would stop relaxing, much less be helpful to anyone who was considering going natural. it's amazing how much your life can change when you open your mind. i was so closed to the idea of wearing my curls. i preferred straight hair. i wanted chemically relaxed hair because it was easier. but i always loved hair and had a thing for hair care. transitioning has taught me so much about my hair and i have learned so much about products and hair care. way more than i ever learned as a relaxed head. i have also made some great hair connections with other women who are transitioning and that has been a blessing to me as well. this journey has been awesome! go team natcha! ;)

Amarilles Yes, I've stretched it and measured (just eyeballing) and it doesn't really stretch a lot. Just maybe a .5 inch more. I think it grows a little faster in my crown though but my front and sides grow very slowly.

havilland You know it's funny because I didn't mind how slow my hair grew when relaxed because I started off at a nice length and eventually reached my goal of WL. Now that I'm having to measure my new growth, it just seems like such a long journey. The one good thing is that it will give me more time to learn my hair and what she likes.

Does anyone here exercise regularly? If so, how are you managing your new growth? I'm starting back on an exercise routine next wk but not sure if I want to cowash each time (like I did when relaxed) but I can't stand sweat in my hair.

My hair feels soft today! Yay! Tuesday I cowashed with tresemee naturals, and deep conditioned over night with AO Honeysuckle Rose & Olive oil. I Think it did a great job at moisturizing because my hair was soft and manageable. I was able to wash, detangle, and flat twist my hair in like 20-30 minutes. My ends in certain areas are sickly looking. They'll have to go soon! lol!

Back