Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

I'm finally admitting my hair is a mess, but I cannot bring myself to cut....again. I went natural in 2009 just because I thought giving myself a relaxer was too much work and I couldn't find a reliable, honest stylest. I then gave myself a texlax in Sept 2011 smoothed too much so it came out straight at the top. In 8/12 I textlaxed again and the results were beautiful.

Fast forward to today. I am working with too many textures. I have about 3.5" of natural hair at the roots, then a couple inches of textaxed, then bone straight, then natural ends in the back. For some reason my hair is bone straight at the top of my head except for the roots. IDK what that is.

I have no problem with growth, but its getting too hard to manage the protein/moisture balance of my different textures. I love the curls of my natural hair, but its hard to blend 3 textures into 1 style. I'm mostly 4a but have patches of 3c along my hairline, and 4b in the crown. I would so love to do a WNG.

I'm at APL for about the 3rd time and I don't want to bc. My intention was to get to BSL then gradually cut the relaxed ends, but its a lot of work messing with this mop head. I'm thinking maybe I should give up on BSL for now and gradually cut off relaxed ends now. I would stay at APL. I don't want to go shorter.

I need help! Any suggestions for all my textures?

Last edited:
Sooooo tell us about the prepoo? What'd you use/do?

It was Tresseme Moisture Rich, Aubrey's Rose Mosqueta with some olive oil coconut oil and silk aminos. I was surprised it worked since conditioner prepooed did NOTHING for me before. I think it detangled so well because I added some water in and got the texture kinda frothy and that helped the comb slip right thru....and OMG the COMB.....I forgot about this comb I got at Bed Bath and Beyond. It's a conditioner comb with two rows of teeth...it's better than the Tangle Teezer or Denman on my hair.

browsing the interwebs and I found this picture, i think my curls will be smaller than hers but looking at the front of her hair around the edges my edges look almost exactly like that especially the longer pieces. is this normal? is tht potential heat damage is why there is no definate curl pattern?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 68
I'm finally admitting my hair is a mess, but I cannot bring myself to cut....again. I went natural in 2009 just because I thought giving myself a relaxed was too much work and I couldn't find a reliable, honest stylest. I then gave myself a texlax in 2011 smoothed too much so it came out straight at the top, then again August 2012! I loved my results from Aug 2012.

Fast forward to today. I am working with too many textures. I have about 3.5" of natural hair at the roots, then a couple inches of textaxed, then bone straight, then natural ends in the back. For some my hair is bone straight at the top of my head except for the roots.

I have no problem with growth, but its getting too hard to manage the protein/moisture balance of my different textures. I love the curls of my natural hair. I'm mostly 4a but have patches of 3c along my hairline, and 4b in the crown.

I'm at APL for about the 3rd time and I refuse to bc. My intention was to get to BSL then gradually cut off the relaxed ends, but its a lot of work messing with this mop head. I'm thinking maybe I should give up on BSL for now and gradually cut off relaxed ends now. I would stay at APL. I don't want to go shorter.

I need help! Any suggestions for all my textures?

I def understand about not wanting to cut your progress off. But I would def cut of the relaxed ends. Deal with two textures. It's hard enough to transition. I personally think texlaxed hair is easier than bonelaxed hair mixed in with natural hair because the contrast isn't as stark.

Plus. You don't want to suffer breakage and damage and then end up cutting way more than you want.

I would cut the relaxed hair and then gradually trim. For example. I have been trimming my hair at my growth rate. So basically my hair stays the same length.

Protect your ends and deep condition at least once if not twice a week.

browsing the interwebs and I found this picture, i think my curls will be smaller than hers but looking at the front of her hair around the edges my edges look almost exactly like that especially the longer pieces. is this normal? is tht potential heat damage is why there is no definate curl pattern?

I have a section of hair like that in the front as well. I thought it was heat damage until I realized that my new growth wasn't growing in curly

sent from my galaxy

Checking in at 21 months post relaxer. I can't believe it. Today was the first time in awhile that I wanted to cut my hair. The relaxed ends are just meh.....but the shrinkage kills me. I'm not ready to "look" like my hair is shoulder length again. I just can't ......

Hey ladies! This is my first post ever on the site!!! I'm currently 5 months into my transition... I've seen a little bit of growth but a WHOLE lot a breakage and I really don't know what to do anymore.

I started out with a no heat regimen and had breakage. I started using heat and I still have breakage. I'm gentle with my hair, I get breakage. I leave my hair alone I still have breakage!!!

My current Reggie is one that mimics westndnbeauty's which includes applying elastaqp's moisturizing conditioner mixed with oils and honey using the relaxer method and leaving it on my hair for over 5 hours. Then I thoroughly wash with a moisturizing shampoo. I airdry until damp, spray with heat protectant, and then blowdry. Once I finish blow drying, I flatiron at 320.

My hair comes out cute and lasts a good 3 days... Once it gives up I brush my hair up in a ponytail, wrap a track around it, and rock a faux bun until its been a week/ or until i get tired of the bun.

Im thinking of going to go back to a no heat reggie... At least then it seemed like my hair was getting thicker....

Any of you seasoned transitioners have any advice on what to do with this crazy breakage? Am i doing something wrong? i think I'm gonna lose it!

Carman hi and welcome .. I am 27 months post. I trimmed all my relaxed end April of 2012. In the beginning I did so many protein treatments once a month and that helped me so much. I have not added any heat to my hair since Dec.2012. I am debating a flat iron tomorrow. We shall see.

Last edited:
Hey Carman and welcome. I'm not seasoned at allege are at about the same place in our transition time wise but I know the detangling process is the hardest part for me. It took some time to find out how to do it to get the least amount of breakage. I realized that must detangle with conditioner. There is no other way to tame my new growth. Are you able to detangle easy after shampooing?

Hey ladies! This is my first post ever on the site!!! I'm currently 5 months into my transition... I've seen a little bit of growth but a WHOLE lot a breakage and I really don't know what to do anymore.

I started out with a no heat regimen and had breakage. I started using heat and I still have breakage. I'm gentle with my hair, I get breakage. I leave my hair alone I still have breakage!!!

My current Reggie is one that mimics westndnbeauty's which includes applying elastaqp's moisturizing conditioner mixed with oils and honey using the relaxer method and leaving it on my hair for over 5 hours. Then I thoroughly wash with a moisturizing shampoo. I airdry until damp, spray with heat protectant, and then blowdry. Once I finish blow drying, I flatiron at 320.

My hair comes out cute and lasts a good 3 days... Once it gives up I brush my hair up in a ponytail, wrap a track around it, and rock a faux bun until its been a week/ or until i get tired of the bun.

Im thinking of going to go back to a no heat reggie... At least then it seemed like my hair was getting thicker....

Any of you seasoned transitioners have any advice on what to do with this crazy breakage? Am i doing something wrong? i think I'm gonna lose it!

Welcome. Sounds like you need to continue being gentle with your hair. Add in a deep protein conditioner once a month to combat breakage. (I saw your conditioner treatment and it's possible that you need protein to combat the breakage. Moisture seems on point to me....)

Drink lots of water. Eat green veggies and take a hair skin and nail vitamin. Your issue may be internal. Not enough nutrients to feed your strands.

Last edited:
Carman hi and welcome .. I am 27 months post. I trimmed all my relaxed end April of 2012. In the beginning I did so many protein treatments once a month and that helped me so much. I have not added any heat to my hair since Dec.2012. I am debating a flat iron tomorrow. We shall see.

I've been so scared to use a heavy protein because of all the horror stories! Lol! But that's probably one of my problems. I'll use one my next wash. Thanks! :)

Hey Carman and welcome. I'm not seasoned at allege are at about the same place in our transition time wise but I know the detangling process is the hardest part for me. It took some time to find out how to do it to get the least amount of breakage. I realized that must detangle with conditioner. There is no other way to tame my new growth. Are you able to detangle easy after shampooing?

I think I've gotten the detangling process down pact. I was the same way at first. I detangle, condition, wash, and dry in 4 braids that helps me out with the tangles. :)

Welcome. Sounds like you need to continue being gentle with your hair. Add in a deep protein conditioner once a month to combat breakage. (I saw your conditioner treatment and it's possible that you need protein to combat the breakage. Moisture seems on point to me....)

Drink lots of water. Eat green veggies and take a hair skin and nail vitamin. Your issue may be internal. Not enough nutrients to feed your strands.

I assumed my lack of protein was an issue. I need to find a good one to incorporate.
It's very possible that my diet has been an issue as well.. I've been on a broke college student noodle diet lol! I'll try and sneak some veggies into my diet and search for some hair&nail vitamins. Thanks for the suggestions! :)

Carman they key is protein treatments don't go crazed with it. Back it up with a good deep conditioning treatment. That is what I did for my first year and half of transitioning. HTH..

I assumed my lack of protein was an issue. I need to find a good one to incorporate.
It's very possible that my diet has been an issue as well.. I've been on a broke college student noodle diet lol! I'll try and sneak some veggies into my diet and search for some hair&nail vitamins. Thanks for the suggestions! :)

When my hair is breaking I do a light protein treatment once a week UNTIL the breakage stops. THEN do protein every 2 or 3 months to keep the balance.

Try Nexxus Emergencee. It's a decent price, available at a drug store and isn't too strong.

Also, if u are on campus do salad and fresh fruit at the dining hall every chance u can. If u love off campus or buy your own food, buy a bag of apples and a bunch of bananas at the grocery. This won't break your noodle budget but will give you some nutrition, Which u desperately need. :)

(Please stop eating white Noodles....they have no nutritional value. How about tuna, a bottle of olive oil to drizzle on the tuna, get a bag of spinach if you can and a loaf of whole grain bread instead?). ;) the total for those items at Walmart or Target $20-22 ---- 10 cans of tuna, a loaf or bread, a bottle of olive oil and a bag of spinach.

Anyways, imma get out of your business! ...Drink lots of water. It's free. And get a multi vitamin. You can not grow healthy hair if you don't nourish it from the inside as well as the outside.

When my hair is breaking I do a light protein treatment once a week UNTIL the breakage stops. THEN do protein every 2 or 3 months to keep the balance.

Try Nexxus Emergencee. It's a decent price, available at a drug store and isn't too strong.

Also, if u are on campus do salad and fresh fruit at the dining hall every chance u can. If u love off campus or buy your own food, buy a bag of apples and a bunch of bananas at the grocery. This won't break your noodle budget but will give you some nutrition, Which u desperately need. :)

(Please stop eating white Noodles....they have no nutritional value. How about tuna, a bottle of olive oil to drizzle on the tuna, get a bag of spinach if you can and a loaf of whole grain bread instead?). ;) the total for those items at Walmart or Target $20-22 ---- 10 cans of tuna, a loaf or bread, a bottle of olive oil and a bag of spinach.

Anyways, imma get out of your business! ...Drink lots of water. It's free. And get a multi vitamin. You can not grow healthy hair if you don't nourish it from the inside as well as the outside.

Going off of what havi said,
I am also a broke college student (and will be for the next two years...yay grad school) anyway like she said there are SOOO many ways to get good nutrient rich food for cheap! Is there a whole foods/trader joes/moms market near you? I shop at trader joes and can get 2 weeks worth of food for 40 bucks.

Normally my grocery list is:
tomatoes
onion
bell pepper
fruit
salad (leafy green)
stuff for pasta
tuna
olive oil (if I need it)
meat
bread (I like to get middle eastern, naan, or whole grain tortilla bread)
beans beans beans

and I can make sooo much stuff and still eat healthy.
I noticed when I switched from safeway and junk foods my hair health has been better.

Last edited:
Going off of what havi said,
I am also a broke college student (and will be for the next two years...yay grad school) anyway like she said there are SOOO many ways to get good nutrient rich food for cheap! If there a whole foods/trader joes/moms market near you? I shop and trader joes and can get 2 weeks worth of food for 40 bucks.

Normally my grocery list is:
tomatoes
onion
bell pepper
fruit
salad (leafy green)
stuff for pasta
tuna
olive oil (if I need it)
meat
bread (I like to get middle eastern, naan, or whole grain tortilla bread)
beans beans beans

and I can make sooo much stuff and still eat healthy.
I noticed when I switched from safeway and junk foods my hair health has been better.

This is a great list!!!! :)

This is how I shopped in college. I lived off tuna, mayo, mustard and microwave brown rice, bagged apples and beans beans beans.

I'm coming up on 6 months post! I'm excited, and the time has flown by. If I decide to continue transitioning for 2 years, I only have 1 year and 6 months left!

hnntrr what are you taking in gradschool? Do you still work?

I hope that when I go i will have a decent source of income!

I am graduating with my BFA in Fine Art in May, I am going to school in Boston in the Masters of Fine Art Program in performance and film/video. ^^

And me too, one great thing about grad school and art is I can teach anywhere and between that and grants I can do pretty much anything I want. Aside from paying off student loans -_-.

Hello! I was natural for several years and relaxed 6 weeks ago. I am on the verge of cutting it all off again too. I do not want a relaxer.. i was totally trippin'..

Last edited:
hnntrr I will definitely be looking into grants and fellowships. I just don't want to be living on noodles and be deprived of buying my favorite products because I don't have the cash.

I'm a little past 22 months into this transition and I have no desire to big chop (I can actually go on for years). However, I am fed up with my hair and simply want to cover it up for the rest of my transition, so I plan on purchasing a lace wig (with bangs) very soon. Hopefully, that will make my journey easier.

In other news, my natural hair is about shoulder length. It felt like just yesterday when it looked like a tiny bush. My biggest fear is big chopping and having all this natural hair at once but not knowing what to do with it. :/

Last edited:
I am getting a little frustrated. My hair is like an inch from shoulder length now. My natural hair is coming in nicely but I NEED a style. Buns look awful because my relaxed hair is stupid thin and won't make a decent bun. Think about a golf ball size bun on the top of a basketball. Ridiculous, right. I wore wigs for two weeks but the leave out was drying out terribly and I am afraid it will break off if I keep leaving it out. My husband and I went to look for lace front wigs but I couldn't find one I like. So, what is a girl to do. I have had braids before but I am concerned the weight will damage my thin hair pull my edges out or make those dreaded tiny itchy bumps around my neck where the braids are installed too tight. I want to hide my hair for a couple of months but not sure how to do it. Weave may be too heavy as well. Is there anyone in NC THAT CAN HELP ME OR GO WITH ME TO A SALON OR WIG STORE or know of a healthy braid/weave salon? I am almost having a panic attack here. I need to go to work and can't go looking like who shot who!

I hope you can find something Jobwright!

Did you already try styles like braid outs and twists outs?

I have tried raid outs, twist outs,and antsy knots but they look anorexic with my thin ends and only last a day! have to retwist/braid daily and that's too much manipulation. I end up with hair in my hands after each twist/braid

4 months away from my 2 year mark. I washed my hair yesterday and I was quite frustrated. There is still no real pattern and the front is semi-straight. Could be from heat awhile back but seriously...I've laid off enough to have some kind of textures up there. Most of my relaxed ends have broken off and I highly doubt I'll have to much to cut come July. In all honesty I could just cut now and it probably wouldn't make a difference.

I also realized I have no idea what to do with my hair. I either wear a wig or pull it back and right now I'm kind of tired of weaves. I miss when I could rock my own hair and feel great. Yet I want to keep it hidden away for the next few months so it'll grow.

Back