Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

Is anyone in here a slow grower? I've only got maybe a 1.5-2 inches and I'm almost 7 months post, smh. My hair has always grown slower than average but now I see just how slow since I'm waiting to get to at least APL before cutting. It just seems like it's gonna take forever!

You are not a slow grower compared to me. I have 3 inches and have been transitioning for 9 months.

Finally getting to know what my hair wants. The conditioner pre-pooing is working for me. I could kick myself for not trying it out before. To think of all the hair I lost for no reason.

Attachments

• image-2786698991.jpg
    image-2786698991.jpg
    443.2 KB · Views: 58
Does anyone here exercise regularly? If so, how are you managing your new growth? I'm starting back on an exercise routine next wk but not sure if I want to cowash each time (like I did when relaxed) but I can't stand sweat in my hair.

I workout almost every day. I apply a dab of conditioner, rinse my edges around my hairline in the shower and keep it moving. Because I'm usually in a ponytail or half wig I don't have to worry about "styling" perse. I co wash 2-3x a week and only detangle once a week to keep manipulation low.

I'm about 7 months post and I'm thinking about blowdrying my hair 2x a month on med heat. Wonder if that would cause heat damage...any regular heat users in this thread?

I use heat (blow drying and flat ironing) every other week and so far I haven't seen any ill affects from it. I just make sure to use a good amount of protectant and of course moisturizer and sealant every day. And once I set that style I won't touch heat again that week. I can refresh it with Caruso rollers and a wrap.

I think I've done enough experimenting to know what works for my hair right now.

Deep Conditioners
AO Honey Suckle Rose, or White Camelia paired with olive oil

Leave-ins/moisturizers
KBB Hair Nectar or Sweet Ambrosia, KKNT, Camille Rose Hair Milk, Darcy Botanacles Transitioning cream

Oils
Olive Oil, CoCoNut Oil

CoWash
Tresemee Naturals (best. stuff. ever.)

Protein Strengthening
Coconut Oil + 1 egg

I'm only going to replenish these products over the next few months if I run out. I'm not buying anymore hair stuff!! lol. I'm also pledging to STOP cutting my hair. I just need to let it be great!! Haha!

I’ve been mainly lurking in this thread, thanks for all the tips and pictures ladies…. I’ve been transitioning for about 16 months and I’m feeling a bit conflicted right now. I think I’m so ready to BC because dealing with my transitioning hair is becoming exhausting :nono:. I’ll pre-poo and detangle (and remove all shed hairs) before I wash but once water touches my hair it’s a wrap. After DCing I sometimes spend over 2 hours detangling, which is in addition to the 2-3 hours spent pre pooing, washing in sections, DCing etc :sad: . The relaxed ends are always tangled.

And to make matters worse, my relaxed ends (about APL) are so uneven that I can’t wear my hair down/out so it is always in a bun with marley hair wrapped around it. So I’m thinking - what’s the point of holding on to those scraggly ends? I love love the way my natural hair looks and feels, it gets so soft when I moisturize with cantu and seal w/coconut or olive oil :yep: .

I wish I wasn’t so hung up on length – I’ve been reading blogs and watching youtube but I don’t think I’ll be able to style it if I cut it now (not that I’m doing much styling now anyway :lachen:). Right now stretched, the natural hair at my napes hits my collarbone, sides are just below ears and the front touches my nose. However shrinkage is a beast, shrunken, my new growth looks like it is only an inch. I’m really tired of transitioning :ohwell:

Guess I’m just venting...

SugarRush have you done any protein treatments? My hair went ballistic when I wet my hair, so the next time I used egg and coconut oil as a treatment, and its been all good!

I am so ready to wash and go again. I think i might cut early but i need enough length to wear it straight. I was happy with apl natural hair so I am trying to get there before i cut again. I need 5-6 more inches befofre I can cut. I wish my hair grew faster. I am reconsidering growth aids :look:

If it is too difficult to keep it straight during the summer i will cut. Hopefully with armed with my straightening wax and smoothing treatments, i think i will get through the summmer without looking a HAM.

SugarRush have you done any protein treatments? My hair went ballistic when I wet my hair, so the next time I used egg and coconut oil as a treatment, and its been all good!

JaszG I use aphogee 2 mins every two weeks and nexxus emergency every 6-8 weeks but it doesn't seem to help my hair. Those two worked really well when I was fully relaxed. Maybe I should look into other protein treatments.

Just wanted to share my protective style. It's a half wig called Rio. The brand is Sensationnel. I really wish I had gotten two of them.

ForumRunner_20130406_192705.jpg

I’ve been mainly lurking in this thread, thanks for all the tips and pictures ladies…. I’ve been transitioning for about 16 months and I’m feeling a bit conflicted right now. I think I’m so ready to BC because dealing with my transitioning hair is becoming exhausting :nono:. I’ll pre-poo and detangle (and remove all shed hairs) before I wash but once water touches my hair it’s a wrap. After DCing I sometimes spend over 2 hours detangling, which is in addition to the 2-3 hours spent pre pooing, washing in sections, DCing etc :sad: . The relaxed ends are always tangled.

And to make matters worse, my relaxed ends (about APL) are so uneven that I can’t wear my hair down/out so it is always in a bun with marley hair wrapped around it. So I’m thinking - what’s the point of holding on to those scraggly ends? I love love the way my natural hair looks and feels, it gets so soft when I moisturize with cantu and seal w/coconut or olive oil :yep: .

I wish I wasn’t so hung up on length – I’ve been reading blogs and watching youtube but I don’t think I’ll be able to style it if I cut it now (not that I’m doing much styling now anyway :lachen:). Right now stretched, the natural hair at my napes hits my collarbone, sides are just below ears and the front touches my nose. However shrinkage is a beast, shrunken, my new growth looks like it is only an inch. I’m really tired of transitioning :ohwell:

I'm 16 months too and SO ready for my hair to be all natural. Like you, I'm not ready for short hair even though I see lots of women with natural hair the length of my roots who look really cute in their hair. June might be Go Time for me, maybe.

That is no fun. :(

How do you wash your hair? Do you wash it in braids or loose? If you wash it loose, please stop. Braid your hair in sections. At least four.

Also, are you using shampoo? If you are, try a cleansing conditioner instead. Or dilute the shampoo with water and squeeze it into your sections and roots.

Also, I would suggest trying new conditioners. When I detangle, I apply ALOT of heavy creamy conditioner to my relaxed hair to weigh it down and keep it from tangling and then apply condish to the roots in sections. What conditioners have you tried?

When was the last time you trimmed? Clipping your ends some may help. I have been clipping my relaxed ends a little every few weeks. That hair is old and fragile and eventually will not cooperate. Fresh ends can help with detangling.

Also, try prepooing overnight with oil to cut down on some of your shampoo day timing. I used to be in the same boat as you around 10 months post. It took me a few weeks to make tweaks to my program and then it got better.

@havillaland and SugarRush I agree completely with your recommendations. I have basically decided through this transition, I cannot focus on length, but must focus on health. I must trim regularly so that these relaxed ends can slowly go away. Unless SugarRush is planning on being a heat trained natural, holding on to those ends won't benefit her. It's a hard realization but I am finally getting it.

After observing my ends. I think I may cut them at the end of the year. That will be 30 months post. My goal is 36, however, for the health of my hair, they may be trimmed away before then. I will keep an eye on them and see what's best in December.

That is no fun. :(

How do you wash your hair? Do you wash it in braids or loose? If you wash it loose, please stop. Braid your hair in sections. At least four.

Also, are you using shampoo? If you are, try a cleansing conditioner instead. Or dilute the shampoo with water and squeeze it into your sections and roots.

Also, I would suggest trying new conditioners. When I detangle, I apply ALOT of heavy creamy conditioner to my relaxed hair to weigh it down and keep it from tangling and then apply condish to the roots in sections. What conditioners have you tried?

When was the last time you trimmed? Clipping your ends some may help. I have been clipping my relaxed ends a little every few weeks. That hair is old and fragile and eventually will not cooperate. Fresh ends can help with detangling.

Also, try prepooing overnight with oil to cut down on some of your shampoo day timing. I used to be in the same boat as you around 10 months post. It took me a few weeks to make tweaks to my program and then it got better.

havilland I wash my hair in four sections but usually loose, I’ll definitely try washing in braids this weekend. I usually cowash and use shampoo about once or twice a month – I use suave clarifying to clarify or AOHSR shampoo, I’ll dilute when I shampoo next.

I’ve been using AOHSR/mixed silk DC/TIGI moisture maniac plus oils for DCing and suave almond and shea butter for cowashing. I love HSR the most but I go through the bottles rather quickly and it can get expensive.
I bought some shea moisture conditioner today for DCing (plus all the other items in the coconut and hibiscus line lol, smells so good) and Tresemme Naturals for cowashing. I’ve heard some good reviews and I’m looking forward to trying them later this week. I bought a steamer earlier in the year and I’m also planning to use it more for DCing, that might also help.

Any other recommendations for DCs?

The last time I trimmed was about 3 months ago. I’m most likely due for one, I’m just scared to pickup my scissors because everything might just come off lol. If I can hold on, my plan is to transition for 24 months and cut just before thanksgiving or on Dec 31st.

Thanks for the helpful tips! (especially washing braids – makes so much sense), hopefully my next washday will be less painful.

@havillaland and SugarRush I agree completely with your recommendations. I have basically decided through this transition, I cannot focus on length, but must focus on health. I must trim regularly so that these relaxed ends can slowly go away. Unless SugarRush is planning on being a heat trained natural, holding on to those ends won't benefit her. It's a hard realization but I am finally getting it.

Jobwright I’m not planning to be a heat trained natural, not a big fan of heat at all. I probably only used heat 2-3 times a year when I was relaxed. I’m going to try a few new products, get a trim and then reevaluate within the next couple of weeks to see if it gets better (I really hope it does). If not, I may have to let the ends go.

Off topic – I was at target today and there were so many beautiful natural heads around. There was actually a ‘traffic jam’ at the aisle where they had all the natural hair care products. There were so many people there that I had to walk around the store and come back. I spoke with a few ladies who were also transitioning. It was beautiful to see all those ladies talking about hair :yep:

I finally figured out how to get my straightened hair to have swang and weight without being heavy but my hair is still very fly away:sad: I am trying to figure out how my hair was able to get the silky shine like it had from the salon. It seems like I am mising a product or something...le sigh

Also I notice that about 80% of my stash I have binned because they would work better on my natural hair. Its like I am subconciously geting ready to BC:look:

SugarRush

Try Trader Joes Nourish Spa balanced moisture conditioner. Joico Kpak is a good light protein condish.

Check out RenieceTV on you tube. She has a good video about washing hair in sections.

Also, have you tried oil rinsing? Apply a nickel to quarter size amount of oil like grapeseed or olive to your freshly shampooed and conditioned hair. And then rinse it out with warm water. That helped me alot earlier in my transition journey.

;)

I finally figured out how to get my straightened hair to have swang and weight without being heavy but my hair is still very fly away:sad: I am trying to figure out how my hair was able to get the silky shine like it had from the salon. It seems like I am mising a product or something...le sigh

Also I notice that about 80% of my stash I have binned because they would work better on my natural hair. Its like I am subconciously geting ready to BC:look:

This is ME TOO! Either stuff is in waiting or I'm using it to experiment on my natural DD even though our hair textures are very different. I really don't think I'm going past June.

Well the time has come ladies! I big chopped a month earlier than planned at 14 months!!!! Im ecstatic and LOVE it! Wish I had done it sooner bc all the shedding and tangling is history! Like the sesame street song says..."I love my hair!" :)

I had been sick and went longer than usual without washing/DCing and my hair was a mess when I finally got around to it. I looked in the mirror at the couple of scraggle inches I had left (3-4 inches some places-but the back not a lot)and couldnt see the purpose of attempting to detangle it that day. So I started snipping away! And Im happy to say I can still get it into my old faithful high bun with the help of a few extra bobby pins for those lazy days. Ive not experienced a problem with much dryness like many people say happens as a new natural...the same products are working. It isnt a headache to manage like I thought it would be and if I wake up and didnt set my hair I can still manage to do something with it really quick. So overall Im really happy and now that warm weather is pretty much here Im going to experiment with wash&gos.

Happy transitioning to you guys! Ill still lurk and chime in bc this thread has been my home for like a year! Im seriously considering coloring my hair to give it some extra oomph. I feel like a total makeover...in the process of losing a lot of weight and feeling great and like a new me!

I know its against the law not to post pics so here ya go!

Attachments

• bc.jpg
    bc.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 52
  • bc4.jpg
    bc4.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 49
  • bc2.jpg
    bc2.jpg
    1.6 KB · Views: 44
  • bc3.jpg
    bc3.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 38
Leslie_C :congrats: I LOVE IT!!! Your post just made me feel all happy and fuzzy. After that, I'm 99% sure I'll be cutting in June for my bday. I'm in the process of losing weight too, so I love the whole "new me" aspect. :yep:

ETA Great pics! Thanks for those.

Last edited:
Have any of you all experienced extremely itchy scalps while transitioning? My head never really itched until I was about 12 weeks post, and by that time I'd relax. Now that I'm further along my head is going a little crazy. I'm probably being dramatic cause I'm not used to it. lol.

Have any of you all experienced extremely itchy scalps while transitioning? My head never really itched until I was about 12 weeks post, and by that time I'd relax. Now that I'm further along my head is going a little crazy. I'm probably being dramatic cause I'm not used to it. lol.
YEESSS!!! And I have been cowashing, using shampoo with salicylic acid, ACV rinses, oiling, moisturing and all to no avail. If you find something that works, please let me know.

Yes. Mine went away after about a year. My stylist told me that my scalp was dry, irritated and going through withdrawal from the chemicals. Just like you go through withdrawal from alcohol, caffeine, etc. the longer you relaxed, the worse it is.

Using sulfate free products helped me as well as adding peppermint and tea tree to everything.

I also did a witch hazel, spring water and peppermint spritz that I kept in the fridge and used on my scalp at night. This helped cool and heal my head.

Last edited:
Back