Transitioners, why wait 18 months...

growingbrown

Until you decide to BC? Why not 6,12, or 15 months? I found on a lot of transiniting threads a lot of ladies are waiting until 18 months to cut their hair. What is it for you? Im currently 1 day after 47 weeks and trying to hang in there but with summer around the corner, im wondering if I should wait or cut in the summer to better get to know my hair....

What are your thoughts...

I think they just look at what growth a person achieved from being 18 months in and want the length before the bc.

I've never had a perm..but I've always thought that it would be better to bc n the summer so u can sport a cute curly twa or play around with wash n go's

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Long Hair Care Forum App

It's all about length for me. For many ladies, 18 months yields a nice amount of growth that they can be comfortable with. I, myself, have no plans to BC. I am just trimming my ends every other time that I straighten.

I chopped last June at 18 months plus a day. I had initially planned to go longer (18 months was my bare minimum) but I became really excited about my new hair, and in the end decided not to wait.

18 months was my benchmark because I knew that I wanted to have enough hair to pull back in a ponytail if needed. My 18 month mark also fell in the month of June and as another poster stated, chopping in the Summer is ideal because you can play around with 'wet styles'.

It's all about length for me. For many ladies, 18 months yields a nice amount of growth that they can be comfortable with. I, myself, have no plans to BC. I am just trimming my ends every other time that I straighten.

What type of growth does 18 months give? NL, SL,...

18 months is ponytail length for most. I felt a lot safer BCing knowing that I could pull it back if it didn't look right yet.

Another chiming in to say length.

I'm 20 months now, but the more I see my hair, the more I'm leaning towards not BCing and just letting it grow and trim a bit at a time.

I've seen what 18 months of hair growth looks like and I wouldn't mind WnGs at that length. I also would have enough for nice styling options and I could put it in a ponytail for those bad hair days I KNOW I'm gonna have.

I don't wash/go and never plan to wear wash and go styles, so I just really didn't see the need to cut it unless it was breaking. I wore my hair straight all the time for a while. And then I decided the heat was too much for my hair, so I just plait it up under a half wig, so still didn't have a need to cut it. Ive gotten a lot of trims tho and I think next time I trim all the relaxed hair will be gone.

I tried to do 18 months and chopped a month early. I just wanted more hair to work with, especially knowing I would get shrinkage and felt I couldn't do much with short hair, and wouldn't look good with it.

Another chiming in to say length.

I'm 20 months now, but the more I see my hair, the more I'm leaning towards not BCing and just letting it grow and trim a bit at a time.

I feel the opposite. The more I see my hair, the more I want to cut. I see a lot of split ends on my relaxed hair so i keep triming it but I just get flustrated!
I can now understand about the ponytail thing. That would be nice.

I was in between 18-19 months post when I BC'd and my hair was APL stretched. Some others were APL when they chopped around that time as well.:yep:

Co-signing on the reason being for the length.

APL stretched is a pretty good length to work with! What season did you big chop?

Until you decide to BC? Why not 6,12, or 15 months? I found on a lot of transiniting threads a lot of ladies are waiting until 18 months to cut their hair. What is it for you? Im currently 1 day after 47 weeks and trying to hang in there but with summer around the corner, im wondering if I should wait or cut in the summer to better get to know my hair....

What are your thoughts...

I am actually planning to wait longer than that. My plan is to transition for 24 months then cut an inch every six months after that until the relaxed ends are gone. I do not like my hair short (short to me is anything shorter than my shoulders).

Ok, now I'm a bit worried. New growth is SL/APL stretched at 18 months? Wow. I'm at about 28 months and I'm only SL stretched... :perplexed Am I THAT slow of a grower? Could my diet have such a drastic effect on my hair growth?

Ok, off my rant...

Sorry OP, I don't mean to hijack your thread, some of the responses simply caught me off guard.

Well I plan on bc'ing @ 18 months because by that time I should gave enough growth to be considered sl. As of right now @ 8 months post if I would chop, the hair would just scraping sl. I want past that so hoping with the way things r going and growing for me that I will be a few inches shy of apl when I chop.

I want to be at least full apl /apl when I bc... I began my transitioning at apl so I I didnt see the point in going back to sl even if it meant being natural...So Im going transition for about 2 years...Long hair but Im sorry I care...

I don't like short hair, I've had it most of my life. I was MBL when I started my transition and would like to be SL or longer so that's why I'm choosing to wait till 18 months which will be in June. I have very little breakage so there's no reason for me to BC.

The reason for me is it will be summer and happen to my 17-18 months for me and I am ready to try the wash n go's and other styles.. Can't do a WNG in the winter so summer time just works better for me.

I believe that some people aren't psychologically ready to deal with a TWA after having longer relaxed hair, plus there are limited styling options. When I transitioned during my last few years of high school I got tired of braids and dealing with two textures so I BC'd after a few short months of transitioning, before I was emotionally ready for it. It didn't help that I got teased occasionally :/

When I decided to transition again in college I knew I wanted to transition for a long time so I had some length to work with when I was natural. I transitioned for 24months (Dec '08-Dec '10) with weaves so that I didn't have to deal with two textures and so that I wouldn't cave and BC before I was ready.

I planned to chop at 12 , 15, then I actually did it at 18 months. I wanted my hair to be at a comfortable length however after massive breakage while doing braid outs I cut my hair to shoulder length and only flat ironed. I then had more natural than relaxed so I said what the heck. I do wish I had cut my hair in the summer but I didn't. I'm learning my hair all over again and the front of my hair is bone straight.

Ok, now I'm a bit worried. New growth is SL/APL stretched at 18 months? Wow. I'm at about 28 months and I'm only SL stretched... :perplexed Am I THAT slow of a grower? Could my diet have such a drastic effect on my hair growth?

Ok, off my rant...

Sorry OP, I don't mean to hijack your thread, some of the responses simply caught me off guard.

That's on average. Everyone is different, don't worry. Keep in mind layers, trims, and whatnot.

I would think some people could want their post BC hair to be at least the same length of their pre-BC hair. Well at least, that was my reasoning :)

I'm coming up on 36 months post relaxer in March and still have 3 inches or so of relaxed hair on the end. I'm transitioning without the BC and trim a quarter to half inch every 3-4 months.

Back