Transitioners support thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Bublnbrnsuga
  • Start date Start date
Congratulations on your decision to go natural!! I transitioned for 1 year and 4 months so I would like to assist you all on your journey, if you all would like me to. This will be a thread for you ladies to vent about the change, ask questions, etc etc. I check in this forum everyday, so there will be NO question unanswered. Also, veteran transitioners, please assist me!!:yay:

Here's my album- http://public.fotki.com/Naturali-t the password is brillo

:perplexed:nono::sad::ohwell:

^^^ this explains my emotions right now, I'm getting ready for church and disappointed with how my hair looks.

I'm transitioning and have been trying various products, I bought MT but shedding threw me off. I need help from those transitioning or stretching for l-o-n-g periods, like 6 months or so...

My hair is growing, but it is so see through. When i rollerset and then flat iron my NG, it looks great and full through and through, but as soon as it swells from humidity, perspiration, etc.. i have these see-through 4 inch ends. (I've NEVER had thin hair before...I also had a lot of shedding, is my flatiron doing this? I have it on a heat setting of 10 it's an Andis.

I am recovering from alopecia (healed, in Jesus' Name!), I want my beautiful hair back -today-

You guys are soo knowledgeable, im just gonna put it out there...but i'm really new to caring for my own hair, so I'm learning as I go...i don't want to get a relaxer, i've made it since January, and my hopes are to go natural...

I know in my knower you guys can help me...I need a big sis to show me the ropes...PMs are very welcomed...:rolleyes:

Be Blessed, *~Br*nze~*

Question for those who bun/pony hair while wet: how do you avoid tangles and pulling your hair out? My new growth isn't very easy to just comb through ...:nono:

Question for those who bun/pony hair while wet: how do you avoid tangles and pulling your hair out? My new growth isn't very easy to just comb through ...:nono:

Jilbere shower comb & lots of conditioner under running water...
if it's real bad... which it usually is I always do a pre-poo with conditioner
or oil
EVERYDAY!!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I am still over a year into my transition and
I AM NOT BCing!!!
In fact... my hair won't even see a pair
of scissors until April 2009 (mini trim... may cut 1/2"
at the most)

Hello Ladies!

I've been transitioning since right before Thanksgiving 2007. I didn't really make a formal decision, but after having my hair done one Saturday morning and my boyfriend saying, "I thought you were getting your hair done?" that night (it was humid), I wondered why am I relaxing my hair which leaves it with no body? I have fine, dense hair.

Anywho, I started with flexirod sets, but now I am loosely following the Crown and Glory Braid Technique. I prefer kinky twists and they are becoming on me. However, taking:wallbash: them out is a chore! I always seem to lose too much hair. Not the "normal shedding" routing braiders always talk about, but the matted hair and the knots that you can create if you are not patient when taking out the extensions. I have at least 6 areas, that are down to new growth only, becuase I knotted and "cut off" the relaxed ends.

Anyone else have that problem? What is your solution?

What does it mean to truly transition?
(Sorry for the newbie style question 16000 replies in...):rolleyes:

If I bc on Saturday - but still wear my wig to grow out - or put in braids to gain length on my fully natural style - am I still transitioning?

Is it only transitioning so long as I have relaxed hair on the end?

Help me understand :)

Thank you!

Hello Ladies!

I've been transitioning since right before Thanksgiving 2007. I didn't really make a formal decision, but after having my hair done one Saturday morning and my boyfriend saying, "I thought you were getting your hair done?" that night (it was humid), I wondered why am I relaxing my hair which leaves it with no body? I have fine, dense hair.

Anywho, I started with flexirod sets, but now I am loosely following the Crown and Glory Braid Technique. I prefer kinky twists and they are becoming on me. However, taking:wallbash: them out is a chore! I always seem to lose too much hair. Not the "normal shedding" routing braiders always talk about, but the matted hair and the knots that you can create if you are not patient when taking out the extensions. I have at least 6 areas, that are down to new growth only, becuase I knotted and "cut off" the relaxed ends.

I have micros dozens of times and I have always gotten knots. My advice is never take down your hair in a rush. If you tank through the knots you are will be sure to lose extra hair.

I found that while taking them down one by one its better to detangle the knot right away ( by pulling it apart gently with your hands), then comb through with a wide tooth and then move on to the next braid. As opposed to just unravelling all your micros, having the knots all mixed in and trying to detangle them afterwards.Yikes!

I also would use a little braid spray to loosen the build up if the knot was super tight, but I was pretty much able to unravel them with ease as I went.

Last edited:
What does it mean to truly transition?
(Sorry for the newbie style question 16000 replies in...):rolleyes:

If I bc on Saturday - but still wear my wig to grow out - or put in braids to gain length on my fully natural style - am I still transitioning?

Is it only transitioning so long as I have relaxed hair on the end?

Help me understand :)

Thank you!

after you BC you're natural.
you're only in the transition as you work your way towards natural with relaxed/texlaxed hair on the ends.

congrats on your BC, show pix when u do it!!!

I have micros dozens of times and I have always gotten knots. My advice is never take down your hair in a rush. If you tank through the knots you are will be sure to lose extra hair.

I found that while taking them down one by one its better to detangle the knot right away ( by pulling it apart gently with your hands), then comb through with a wide tooth and then move on to the next braid. As opposed to just unravelling all your micros, having the knots all mixed in and trying to detangle them afterwards.Yikes!

I also would use a little braid spray to loosen the build up if the knot was super tight, but I was pretty much able to unravel them with ease as I went.

Thanks for the tips! The last time I took them down, I did not detangle as I went.

Guys, I have the strongest urge to relax. I even printed out SistaSlicks guide on Associated Content. I haven't relaxed since January and I miss straight hair. My last flat iron was poufy. My hair is thicker and healthier but I'm like an addict. I want to think that this time will be different and that I'll stop someday in the future.

Hi, my name is Apemay and I can't stop thinking about the creamy. :ohwell:

I have a meet-up on Saturday. I'll wait at least till then. My twist out is looking good today though. I don't have pics though.

Hello Ladies!

I've never done kinky twists but I used to have that problem taking out braids and even detangling when I wash my hair. What I do now, is as I take out each braid or twist, detangle it. then with each little section I've done, I'll comb through (loosely, just to make sure there are no knots). I don't do this with a wide tooth comb as it will probably miss alot of knots. However, because I'm not using a wide toothed comb, I make sure the sections are really small. Like, 5 braids or something.
It's been helping.
I've got less relaxed ends on my hair than NG (they would get knotted and cut off from the NG) because of my impatience.
Hope this helps

Ladies especially experienced/long term transitioners,

:help:
when I was stretching but still relaxing this was not a concern...but now I need to know how you handle your NG. Mines is soft but still I scared it may try to mat, it felt real clumpy earlier. I usually have left it alone and just detangled the rest of the length of my hair and everything was just fine once I relaxed again. Should I be leaving it alone, finger combing it, or combing/ trying to comb it :perplexed:ohwell:? (dont know if this matters but I believe Im 4a)

Guys, I have the strongest urge to relax. I even printed out SistaSlicks guide on Associated Content. I haven't relaxed since January and I miss straight hair. My last flat iron was poufy. My hair is thicker and healthier but I'm like an addict. I want to think that this time will be different and that I'll stop someday in the future.

Hi, my name is Apemay and I can't stop thinking about the creamy. :ohwell:

I have a meet-up on Saturday. I'll wait at least till then. My twist out is looking good today though. I don't have pics though.

Oh wow, LOL. I did the exact same thing a few months ago. Except I wound up very mildly texlaxing and I was fully natural.:sad:. Well I am transitioning again. Six months into it 121007:ohwell:. Don't give up it'll all be worth it, why don't you try a roller set and blow dry, that will give you a "relaxed" look.

Ladies especially experienced/long term transitioners,

:help:
when I was stretching but still relaxing this was not a concern...but now I need to know how you handle your NG. Mines is soft but still I scared it may try to mat, it felt real clumpy earlier. I usually have left it alone and just detangled the rest of the length of my hair and everything was just fine once I relaxed again. Should I be leaving it alone, finger combing it, or combing/ trying to comb it :perplexed:ohwell:? (dont know if this matters but I believe Im 4a)

Yes, comb it!! :) :yep::yep:
be gentle in there but you gotta detangle the new growth for sure!

I also BC'd today!!!!

My avatar is one pic - full pics and stories in my fotki!!!

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR SUPPORT AND ENCOURAGEMENT - I wouldn't have done it w/o you!

*unsubscribing from this thread*

I am not loving this transition right now. My hair is matting in the middle. I'm losing more and more hair each time I wash...

Maybe I just need to get braids. But...I'm almost in tears. I keep losing so much hair trying to detangle. The middle of my head is just impossible...

Ugh, I just feel so down!

I am not loving this transition right now. My hair is matting in the middle. I'm losing more and more hair each time I wash...

Maybe I just need to get braids. But...I'm almost in tears. I keep losing so much hair trying to detangle. The middle of my head is just impossible...

I find the braid technique works well. Shampoo, Condition let it stay on while you detangle put into braids(each section) then thoroughly rinse(while in braids), airdry then style.

I'd suggest braiding sections of your hair when you wash. I've been transitioning for a while and lost more hair while washing than at any other time. EVEN when trying to detangle with conditioner in. Then last week, I was
reading this thread, found the tip and did that when I cowashed. My hair was fine, easier to detangle and didn't matt/knot and break off.

Getting braids done would be a good idea too. As you can still wash and do all the stuff you do, but your hair is protected.

:-)

I also BC'd today!!!!

My avatar is one pic - full pics and stories in my fotki!!!

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR SUPPORT AND ENCOURAGEMENT - I wouldn't have done it w/o you!

*unsubscribing from this thread*

Congrats! Your hair is cute! (thanks for reminding me that I need to unsubscribe from this thread, also.)

CheLala, chin up. My hardest part so far has been my nape area close to the back of my right ear. The area is where most product accumulates such as cons, poos and where the relaxers remained to give me a burn;{also tangled so bad I had to cut the knot away.} I finally understood that I need to pay attention to the directions of hair growth. Once I realized that the side of my hair at the back flows to the right while my nape flows to the south I stopped trying to comb or braid the areas as one unit. The tangling is no more once I separated them for combing and braiding. Feel with your fingers and I'll bet you find the tangling middle parts flow in different directions. Really hope I helped you.

Checking in, my right side of my head definitely has more of my curl pattern along the shaft of my hair strand than the left, I attribute this to underprocessing of relaxers. It's stressful trying to brush this part back into a wet bun :wallbash:

I've decided that I will probably air dry and co-wash the whole summer. I'm really nervous about attempting to rollerset, and I figure if I do it like this then 1x a month I can blow dry and flat iron.

Spoke to my best friend the other day (who is my support buddy, she transitioned before me but did the BC) and raised concerns about me trying to transition and retain length at the same time. I understood her notions, but I also know that I'm getting married next August so there will be NO cutting. If for no other reason, because I said so!

I'd rather relax it before cutting it before my wedding day. :nono:

Back