Transitioners support thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Bublnbrnsuga
  • Start date Start date
Hi everyone!!! I am considering transitioning, but I am currently BSL/MBL 4 A relaxed and want to know how can I transition w/o the big cut. Thanks!!!

I've decided to do the Jay-Z/Beyonce' type transition (doing it w/o giving it a title). I'll be 8 months post on Sunday and I'm managing very well. I don't know if it's because I texlax instead of going bone straight, but it's been easier than I imagined. I literally forgot about texlaxing. I'd normally stretch 16-28 wks anyway. I haven't had a problem w/tangling or matting and I think I can attribute this to frequent cowashing with moisture-laden products and detangling while in the shower.

Eisani,
It may just be easier to Texlax instead of going from one extreme to another. What relaxer do you usually use? BTW...Your hair is beautiful!!!

This is exactly what I was looking for! I've just started transitioning and have been reading many articles on co-washing. Is this something that I will start doing when I do the BC, or shoul I be doing a co-wash on new growth? Any other tips you might have for washing/conditionig transitioning hair would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I've decided to do the Jay-Z/Beyonce' type transition (doing it w/o giving it a title). I'll be 8 months post on Sunday and I'm managing very well. I don't know if it's because I texlax instead of going bone straight, but it's been easier than I imagined. I literally forgot about texlaxing. I'd normally stretch 16-28 wks anyway. I haven't had a problem w/tangling or matting and I think I can attribute this to frequent cowashing with moisture-laden products and detangling while in the shower.

:huh: I'm lost what is that.

This is exactly what I was looking for! I've just started transitioning and have been reading many articles on co-washing. Is this something that I will start doing when I do the BC, or shoul I be doing a co-wash on new growth? Any other tips you might have for washing/conditionig transitioning hair would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I think co washing helps my new growth to be softer and more manageable. Keeps it moisturized.

lol!, then I think I'm also Jayz/Beyonce transitioning! I asked my hairdesser on my last visit when was the last time I had a relaxer, she only said March (2008). I really wanted a specific date, but she already had to go back into her book to find this info and the salon was busy. I am not prepared to really announce to the outside LHCF that I'm transition, don't need all the doubter comments.

Here's my issue -and why I actually did a mini chop a couple of days ago. With 3 months of NG, my NG under my perm feels like carpet! I'm doing the cowash thing, but I'm gonna have issues styling my hair.

Is braids/twist the best solution here? What worked for you outside of braids while transitioning?

thanx

I transitioned for a whole year and then chickened out and relaxed. Now I am 14 weeks post. Hopefully it goes well this time...

I transitioned for a whole year and then chickened out and relaxed. Now I am 14 weeks post. Hopefully it goes well this time...

DaPPer, what do you mean? The hair was hard to handle, societal pressure....what happened? An entire year...you were half way there!

Pasted from another thread...

Here's my Transitioning Update:
Yesterday I used my ayurveda powder rinse and it made my hair hard, but i think i should have oiled more thoroughly, i was kinda put out with that...none of my moisture cons did a thing....i rollerset, saran wrapped and was DIS-gusted. Truly. I almost called my old stylist, it was THAT bad -- and I promised myself I would never go there AGAIN. Then The Holy Spirit brought to my awareness that I had not Carameled in a while...so I pulled my Etae bottle out the freezer, and thought here goes a second try (my husband thought i had lost my mind, doing so much stuff in a day):perplexed I would not lose this battle:wallbash:!!! I Always Win!

So...I did a caramel treatment (i'm a transitioner) but i preoiled first with Shea Butter - Ladies, after my 2-hour dc with Caramel under bonnet dryer...My hair rinsed like butta! :lick: I then used Trsm Moisturizing Con to cowash (to be honest, i didn't really need it)...and soft as sssssilk!:yep: I then plaited my hair in 4, oiled each section w BrahmiAmla oil and replait and baggied for 1 hour. I then blowdried each section, scarfed up and went to my fav Dominican stylist -hoy-(today) and she flat ironed my hair after blowing my roots.

I wish i could post pictures! My hair is great! (I od-ed on oil, so i'll know next time.) My hair is blingin' and blangin'! It is even thickening up through and through. I am so blessed to have found LHCF and all of you Healthy Hair Growers! I know I will reach my goals and sooner than I expected! I can't wait to change the heads of my family and friends one follicle at a time! You know, I'm blessed so now I can be a blessing! I'm so hyped!!:weird:

*~Br*nze~*

2 years? wow thats cool! I hope for 18 months but if I could go 2 years that would be sweet. I'm 34 weeks now.
I wish you much success, if you need any help I'm there for you. I am just opposed to the big cut, so I will be transitioning for a long time.:look:

Heyy ladies im a newbie at this all i need help.i posted a thread and some ladies led me str8 to this one. i just started my transition i haven't had a relaxer is months and i needed help on protective style's cause school is around the corner andmy hair is still not done cause i dont know which stylist to trust. i need to know products to help me manage both the relaxed ends and new growth. i was told that every 2 months i should cut 1/2 inch and do straw sets. i dont know.... i dont want to do the BC to soon cause im trying to wait for the right lenght if you know what i mean . so what should i do???

I made a year relaxer free!!!!!
YIPPPEEEEEEE
Initially I had planned on cutting at this point, but instead I'm going to go another year!
I'll post some pix in my album tonight when I wash.

I too am tranisitioning. I want to find out what works for my hair & new growth and what will make it soft. I'm still finding out slowly but surely.

jennybean's hair - You don't have to cut 1/2 inch every 2 months if you don't want to. You don't have to cut anything until you want to. Straw sets are a good idea, or you can do buns, twists, twistouts, or braidouts. As far as products I recommend a detangling deep conditioner like the Pantene Relaxed & Natural Mask or ORS Replenishing. You can co-wash if you want, or you can use a moisturizing shampoo.

Whimsy - Congratulations on reaching the 1 yr. mark!

jennybean's hair - You don't have to cut 1/2 inch every 2 months if you don't want to. You don't have to cut anything until you want to. Straw sets are a good idea, or you can do buns, twists, twistouts, or braidouts. As far as products I recommend a detangling deep conditioner like the Pantene Relaxed & Natural Mask or ORS Replenishing. You can co-wash if you want, or you can use a moisturizing shampoo.

Whimsy - Congratulations on reaching the 1 yr. mark!

Thanks Elizabeth... i felt like know one was going answering my question...DOOGRO came out witha mega thick intense repair for rebuilding thinkening treatments could i use that to or kno cause my mom just bought it and i'm afraid to try new thing just in case it mess up the process

Jennifer call me!! Im transitioning too, so we're in this together(Lol) I made my decision today and Im sticking with it, Im going to buy the maxiglide so I can straighten my hair for special occasions and I dont plan on BCING my hair till dec.25.2009.

Thanks Elizabeth... i felt like know one was going answering my question...DOOGRO came out witha mega thick intense repair for rebuilding thinkening treatments could i use that to or kno cause my mom just bought it and i'm afraid to try new thing just in case it mess up the process
I just did a google search for the ingredients and I saw that it contains a lot of protein - Silk Protein, Hydrolyzed Collagen, Hydrolyzed Keratin, and Collagen Amino Acids, so it will be good to use if and when you feel that your hair needs protein. Definitely make sure you use a moisturizing shampoo or co-wash and a moisturizing leave-in on the days that you use the mega thick intense repair. Just be careful not to use it too often so that you don't overload your hair with protein.

I just did a google search for the ingredients and I saw that it contains a lot of protein - Silk Protein, Hydrolyzed Collagen, Hydrolyzed Keratin, and Collagen Amino Acids, so it will be good to use if and when you feel that your hair needs protein. Definitely make sure you use a moisturizing shampoo or co-wash and a moisturizing leave-in on the days that you use the mega thick intense repair. Just be careful not to use it too often so that you don't overload your hair with protein.

o wow thanks. Your a life saver. last time i washed my hair with shampoo i cracked an egg for protein so should i wait to but this one on MTIR. And continue to do regular co-washes or????

Congrats to everyone on their decision and progress!

I have made my 8 month mark! Yeaaaa! 8 being the number of new beginnings makes this very special for me. I am so blessed ... this process has been so much easier than i imagined...i had to transition bcs relaxers didnt agree with me. When my derm mentioned it, i was like, "Wha!? No perms? Are you INsane!!!" I prayed, made the decision and THEN found this forum...you have to take the first step.

Cowashing, plaiting my hair before and during washing/conditioning and indian oils and powders is making this thing FUN!:spinning: I love my new natural hair texture(i'd forgotten what it was like...!:perplexed), i love that i can understand and control my own hair & i'm not left to the whimsy of my stylists, and i love making my own homemade treatments! Caramel has saved my life! I bought curlaway but haven't used it yet.

For those with newgrowth issues, get shea butter, indian oils like amla and parachute coconut and apply religiously! Make your own delicious Caramel and apply to newgrowth to soften it. I actually wear my hair in rollersets and flatiron on occassion - i go to a salon and and my new stylist flatirons it - only. I wash, condition and dry it myself...no need to let them detangle...they don't care about my hair the way i do and i don't want to sacrifice all my growth and care and put someone's lights out :lachen:for raking through my hair...so i do it myself, let her put the finishing touches and i'm happy! I also had to divorce myself from my former stylist - she actually called me last week...i thnk she misses $55 bucks every other week and a nice grip of $75 for relaxers ery 8 weeks...ha ha ha...you know how much hair stuff that buys me? And I still have money left over!!

I thank God for Wisdom and Courage to do this and I also thank Him for this forum it has opened my eyes to so many things i used to think about and imagine, but thought i was a little crazy to try...now I see there's a few hundred (thousand?) crazies just like me on LHCF ~ and guess what? We win with long beautiful healthy hair!!!!

PM me if anyone needs help or has questions...i'd love to share what i've learned thus far.....especially regarding hair loss issues...it's still a journey, but it's one i feel great embarking on....

jennybean's hair, I don't think you'll need to use an egg again until after you run out of MTIR. Yes, keep doing regular co-washes.

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll, that's how I feel. I'm enjoying being in control of my hair. I left a stylist that I went to for years and she called me. I feel like you feel about your former stylist. I think she misses my money because she did my hair every other week ($30) and she did relaxers every 6 weeks ($65, or $55 when I could convince her not to trim).
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/member.php?u=46561

jennybean's hair, I don't think you'll need to use an egg again until after you run out of MTIR. Yes, keep doing regular co-washes.

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll, that's how I feel. I'm enjoying being in control of my hair. I left a stylist that I went to for years and she called me. I feel like you feel about your former stylist. I think she misses my money because she did my hair every other week ($30) and she did relaxers every 6 weeks ($65, or $55 when I could convince her not to trim).

thanks again i used it last night and let it sit and co-washed to just now and my hair smells and feel great...it does work. thanks for the tips and the info....

Last edited:
Back