Transitioners support thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Bublnbrnsuga
  • Start date Start date
ahhh i think i may do it! The last time I was natural was in middle school (I'm 22) lol I decided I didn't want a relaxer anymore b/c I had just moved to a new city and my new bestfriend had the biggest puff! I was soo jealous:lachen::lachen: Needless to say when I actually transitioned and cut my hair I had a completey different texture than her! Lol I remember it being a nightmare to detangle, my mom did my hair and I recall being in tears the whole time! However I really liked my hair natural, She also was able to get my hair fresh relaxer straight when i wanted it I have really thick hair so it's a chore to do but I think it will be worth it. My mom has been pushing me to go natural forever too. So here goes nothing!!

The real challenge will be having to handle my hair myself

ahhh i think i may do it! The last time I was natural was in middle school (I'm 22) lol I decided I didn't want a relaxer anymore b/c I had just moved to a new city and my new bestfriend had the biggest puff! I was soo jealous:lachen::lachen: Needless to say when I actually transitioned and cut my hair I had a completey different texture than her! Lol I remember it being a nightmare to detangle, my mom did my hair and I recall being in tears the whole time! However I really liked my hair natural, She also was able to get my hair fresh relaxer straight when i wanted it I have really thick hair so it's a chore to do but I think it will be worth it. My mom has been pushing me to go natural forever too. So here goes nothing!!

The real challenge will be having to handle my hair myself

Yeah!! do it. you'll learn your hair and handle it well i'm sure!:yep:
ps is that you in your avatar?!

I'm 10 months and some change post relaxer. I'm trying not to BC...at least not any time soon because I can't pull off short looks...but, I'm tempted to relax. I actually HAVE a relaxer, which, I'm hanging on to because this matting is getting so bad! I can get it all detangled, mat free..put it up in a way it shouldn't mat, and it will mat anyway. Its the one thing making me want to relax....I don't know what to do...:wallbash:....If I can figure out a solution, Ima sell this phyto relaxer...but a wide tooth comb just isn't working anymore..

I'm 10 months and some change post relaxer. I'm trying not to BC...at least not any time soon because I can't pull off short looks...but, I'm tempted to relax. I actually HAVE a relaxer, which, I'm hanging on to because this matting is getting so bad! I can get it all detangled, mat free..put it up in a way it shouldn't mat, and it will mat anyway. Its the one thing making me want to relax....I don't know what to do...:wallbash:....If I can figure out a solution, Ima sell this phyto relaxer...but a wide tooth comb just isn't working anymore..

DO NOT RELAX
I know it's frustrating, but we're at the same point!!! Try braidouts/twistouts/cornbraids/wash n gos

You've come SOOO FAR.

Or perhaps, BC and then weave it up for a few months?

You know you don't want to undo your 10 months of hard work and effort in transitioning.

DO NOT RELAX
I know it's frustrating, but we're at the same point!!! Try braidouts/twistouts/cornbraids/wash n gos

You've come SOOO FAR.

Or perhaps, BC and then weave it up for a few months?

You know you don't want to undo your 10 months of hard work and effort in transitioning.

I guess I can try braid/twist outs, and see if I can find a way to keep it from poofing out to the size of Texas. :look:

I guess I can try braid/twist outs, and see if I can find a way to keep it from poofing out to the size of Texas. :look:
Maybe if you use an anti-humectant product, or if you try a different anti-humectant that what you've been using, that will help. Or it will help if you tie a scarf on after washing, conditioning, & applying leave-in, whether you air dry or sit under a hood dryer. I've been wearing twistouts. As soon as I finish putting in all my twists I tie my scarf on and leave it on while my hair dries.

I'm having a moisture problem with my permed hair :perplexed ... I've used the organics shea butter moisturizers and the organic root stimulator olive oil moisturizer and then sealed with coconut oil and each time my hair came out hard ....:wallbash: what to do ??

I'm having a moisture problem with my permed hair :perplexed ... I've used the organics shea butter moisturizers and the organic root stimulator olive oil moisturizer and then sealed with coconut oil and each time my hair came out hard ....:wallbash: what to do ??
i am 10 months post. when my hair is wet i spray on Paul Mitchell's awapuhi moisture mist:lick:, it is the best spray leave in. when my hair is dry i moisturize with keracare creme hairdress and seal with either coconut oil or keracare essential oil:lick:. my hair has been felling great since monday and this is all i use. oh and keracare oil sheen with humidity block is the best.

I haven't had a problem with my relaxed hair feeling hard. I use BB Oil Moisturizer Hair Lotion. I don't know, maybe you can try that.

Thanks for all the tips .. I definitely have a lot of other things to try now ... I really don't know what's causing the hardness hopefully one of these tips can solve it ... off to the store LoL :grin:

Previous knowledge, I've had my hair "trained" and I'm ready to wear my natural hair texture, so I'm transitioning to get the dead ends that won't curl anymore out of the way. So ladies, I've been transitioning for just about 7 months now. I just bought my Black Diamond Elite 100% Human Hair, apparently it's in the same kinky state as the Bohyme Brazillian wave, just $30 less out here in Cali. (tax is a killer!) Anyways, hopefully I can get some serious growth while wearing this sew in, never wore one before. I'm kind of scared, but I'm hoping for the best. Lots of pictures soon!

Maybe if you use an anti-humectant product, or if you try a different anti-humectant that what you've been using, that will help. Or it will help if you tie a scarf on after washing, conditioning, & applying leave-in, whether you air dry or sit under a hood dryer. I've been wearing twistouts. As soon as I finish putting in all my twists I tie my scarf on and leave it on while my hair dries.

I do this as well.

I'm so bored with my hair that now I'm debating braids or kinky twists.

Hey you guys! I officially decided that I am going to join the club and transition.I have no recollection of my natural hair. I swear my mom relaxed my hair when I was like 2 or 3....seriously. My last relaxer was early March ( I think the 9th). So I'm going on 4 months post. I am a 4a with some 4b mixed in. Its getting hard!!

Last edited:
Hey you guys! I officially decided that I am going to join the club and transition.I have no recollection of my natural hair. I swear my mom relaxed my hair when I was like 2 or 3....seriously. My last relaxer was early March ( I think the 9th). So I'm going on 4 months post. I am a 4a with some 4b mixed in. Its getting hard!!

I know what you mean, its been hard for awhile. Especially if I get lazy and decide not to my hair, i cant bun and have it look nice so i'm lost. Hope things get easier for you.

I've been having the same problem. I've noticed that my new growth is soft but my relaxed ends feel really dry and hard. I've been using Aveda damage remedy. I'm thinking that the products may contain too much protein for my relaxed hair. Have you tried clarifying? I may try an ACV rinse next. It's all trial and error for me. I can't seem to get a decent transitioning regimen. I was tempted to relax but I did a strand test and noticed how weak my relaxed hair is compared to my natural hair. It was scary. My relaxed hair snaps off with minimal pulling. So, I'm trying to stick it out.

:sad: :nono::whyme:
My hair isn't growing ... I have been transitioning for about 6 months and I have about 2 inches of new growth ... Shouldn't I have like 4 inches at least :huh:

Growth aids ... Didn't work
Vitamins ... Didn't work (did give me nice skin though LoL)

(Maybe it's what I eat ... what are some foods to help promote growth?? <TIA>)

Idk .. I'm beginning to believe my relaxed hair may grow faster ... I'm not saying I'm going to relax ... but just a thought I had *sigh*

In 6 months you can expect 3 inches of new growth. It would be 4 inches if your hair grew faster than normal.

If you're not eating enough protein that could be the problem. Try eating more chicken, turkey, fish, cottage cheese, edamame, beans, egg whites, lentils, etc. Also make sure you're getting enough iron and zinc in your vitamins.

In 6 months you can expect 3 inches of new growth. It would be 4 inches if your hair grew faster than normal.

If you're not eating enough protein that could be the problem. Try eating more chicken, turkey, fish, cottage cheese, edamame, beans, egg whites, lentils, etc. Also make sure you're getting enough iron and zinc in your vitamins.

:grin: Thanks for the info!

That's makes me feel a bit better :scratchch .. and I know for a fact my diet is missing Iron so maybe adding that will show some improvement ... Thanks again I really needed to hear that!

im still transitioning. its 10 months now i think and i am doing good. but i started flat ironing more so i gotta stop that. after this week i will do wet bunning a co washes everyday and then the next week i will go back to rollerseting.

:grin:Hi Girls,

Just wanted to pop in and say STICK WITH IT and good luck to all in your transition.
I'm 10/11 months in and will probably go another year since I'm able to handle the two textures well now.

I've been flatironing lately for shoots so I'm going to have to make a change...and get back to my beloved braidouts!:yep:

Hey girls,

I've reached a fork in the road. I'm over 4 months post, and this new growth coupled with humidity and relaxed ends is KILLING ME!!! I'm going to look up some braid styles to help me get through the summer easier but I'm iffy about that because I'm terrified of breakage from extension braids :nono:

Tonight it took me about an hour to detangle because the permed hair is so matted togehter and it only got worse as I attempted to put it into a ponytail in the middle of my head. I settled for two pigtails and a scarf around my edges. *sigh*

In 2007, I was on the Natural Texture Challenge (i.e. stretching for six months) and during that time, I really thought about transitioning, but ended up changing my mind. After my last touch-up this march, I really want to give this a try again. Some days have been rough:spinning:. I've been shedding a lot more than usual and lost a lot of hair while detangling. I figured that I just need to tweak my regimen and my skills a bit. Ultimately, I'd like to transition for 18-24 months, some time around graduation :blush:. Wish me luck!

Back