Transitioners support thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Bublnbrnsuga
  • Start date Start date
checking in/checking out(of this thread I mean). Thanks for all the great tips. I'm at 20 months now. most of my relaxed hair broke off or I clipped it bit by bit. So I am fully natural now. Hope to be on the boards more. Happy transitioning ladies.

Hey ladies...Attempting to make the transition to natural, but without the BC. I am currently about 18 weeks post relaxer, have 2A(I think anyway..) shoulder length hair. I dont have any staples right now as I have just been trying to read up on things in the forum to see where I should even begin!! Theres so much and Id like to try everything at once..lol!! But Im a balla on a budget so I will pace myself before I become a full fledged PJ. Im attempting to read this thread for any tips or pointers I need to be aware of, and just for support as well. Hope I can make it!!:drunk:

so i have been transitioning for 2 months now...so far so good...i have updated some photos in my fotki, let me know what you guys think thus far...

Anyone else notice the longer they go the easier it gets? Here I am 4 months and one week post!!! My hair is easier to detangle (almost as if I had a relaxer) when wet, and even though I CANNOT comb anywhere near my roots when its dry, its really a lot easier than I thought.

I just wanted to know if anyone had found a product that made your hair stay straighter for longer after you flat iron? I have tried everything I owned to prevent my roots from reverting, but I always end up with some waves creeping back in after a day or so. I can comb them still and they aren't hard or anything, I just don't like the way my whole head expands at the roots while my relaxed ends shrink up and in.

OK. I hit 20 weeks yesterday. WOW! The new growth is going wild and without any growth aid products.

I started taking out my braids last night. I did most of the back and just twisted it up for work today.

I don't know what to expect or really what my plan is for Sept & Oct.
probably a lot of Deep conditioning.

I need some support.:drunk:

I am 37 weeks post relaxer..I haven't done a mini chop in awhile, and I'm about due for one :ohwell:

On the one hand, I'm not shedding or breaking (pregnancy plus, I guess) BUT my hair is pretty dry...I was on top of the moisture game for awhile, doing frequent dc treatments....but I've also been wearing my hair curly and find that it's harder to moisturize when it's curly or in coils...

I'm 10 weeks into my first stretch while transitioning to natural. I keep telling myself that this is better for my hair in the long run, but I'm sick of this 'dry, crunchy' new growth! Does anyone know of a daily moisturizer or leave-in that makes new growth soft and silky?

Well, I took out my braids over the weekend. I can tell my hair is longer because after I washed and conditioned it and put it in braids they reached my shoulders and I haven't relaxed since January. But I had ALOT of hair come out, which is natural since I had them in braids for 2 months. But I hope I don't have that much hair come out next wash.

For transitioners that are 4B-Z (:grin:), how did you transition with the 2 extreme textures? Did you use heat?

OK. I hit 20 weeks yesterday. WOW!
YAY Mook! Keep it up! I can't wait to get to 20 weeks!

so i have been transitioning for 2 months now...so far so good...i have updated some photos in my fotki, let me know what you guys think thus far...
Panama... your bantu curls are SO cute! I'm PMing you with a question...

On the one hand, I'm not shedding or breaking (pregnancy plus, I guess) BUT my hair is pretty dry...I was on top of the moisture game for awhile, doing frequent dc treatments....but I've also been wearing my hair curly and find that it's harder to moisturize when it's curly or in coils...
InNeedOf... is your siggy pic your natural hair or is that some kind of set? Either way it looks so pretty!

I have a question...how exactly do you moisturize your new growth?!

Every night I've been parting my hair and moisturizing the new growth/demarcation line with ORS olive oil cream. It feels like im not getting all of the roots and I've become obsessed with making sure alllll my little crinklies get some moisture! So I part and part and part and part. I'm just wondering, is there an easier way to moisturize?? It feels like I'm taking the long way or making it harder than it needs to be. :wallbash:

Also, for you ladies who use a liquid type of moisturizer, does it make the rest of your hair wet?

Last edited:
I have a question...how exactly do you moisturize your new growth?!

Every night I've been parting my hair and moisturizing the new growth/demarcation line with ORS olive oil cream. It feels like im not getting all of the roots and I've become obsessed with making sure alllll my little crinklies get some moisture! So I part and part and part and part. I'm just wondering, is there an easier way to moisturize?? It feels like I'm taking the long way or making it harder than it needs to be. :wallbash:

Also, for you ladies who use a liquid type of moisturizer, does it make the rest of your hair wet?

I use CareFree Curl and spray my roots and then use a bit of DAX - then braid it. It does make the rest of my hair a little wet but it works out quite nicely.

I actually reached 6 months! I am so happy...now if I can just reach one year. My best friend's wedding will be on my 1 year no chemical anniversary, so it will be a very happy day for 2 reasons!

Hey everyone! just checking in @ 7 months post. I've been getting by with conditioner washes every day, putting my hair up and using a curly phony ponie although recently i've been getting bored with it. I can only comb when wet @ this point. im tryin to get a good pic of the phony pony and my roots and all that good stuff but my camera just aint cutting it. but i have about 3-4 inches of NG stretched. I am 3B/3C/4A

Just to keep this ( and myself) updated....how long is every planning on transitioning??. I originally said 12-15 months. but i think i may go as long as it takes to be able to tie it back... 18 months maybe....hopefully?? lol

Hey everyone! just checking in @ 7 months post. I've been getting by with conditioner washes every day, putting my hair up and using a curly phony ponie although recently i've been getting bored with it. I can only comb when wet @ this point. im tryin to get a good pic of the phony pony and my roots and all that good stuff but my camera just aint cutting it. but i have about 3-4 inches of NG stretched. I am 3B/3C/4A

Just to keep this ( and myself) updated....how long is every planning on transitioning??. I originally said 12-15 months. but i think i may go as long as it takes to be able to tie it back... 18 months maybe....hopefully?? lol

I guess I just have to say as long as it takes! I'm at 3.5, almost 4 months post, and I will probably put some braids in around Christmas!

LilMorenita - I have about the same plans as you. I plan to transition until I get 9 inches of new growth. That could be up to 18 months. Right now I have 2 inches of new growth and I've been transitioning for 3-1/2 months. I just about have anxiety attacks when I think about cutting off 8 inches of hair.

LilMorenita - I have about the same plans as you. I plan to transition until I get 9 inches of new growth. That could be up to 18 months. Right now I have 2 inches of new growth and I've been transitioning for 3-1/2 months. I just about have anxiety attacks when I think about cutting off 8 inches of hair.

I was thinking of transitioning until I have about 10 in. That is my plan but i am still not sure. I am transitioning with sew-ins. So far so good.

I'm just checking in.

I am 22 weeks post. And also looking to transition for about 2 years. I won't be doing a BC. So far I'm getting by with braids. I'm cornrowed right now. But now that it's starting to get cool here, I'm gonna have to try something else. PRobably rollersets & braidouts. Boy do I have a lot of thick hair.

My new growth is thick and wavy. I've been doing fotki updates once a month. I've also been trying not to buy new products. I have soooo much stuff.

Checking in at 17 weeks. So far so good. CW and bunning, braidouts, and the occasional flat iron have made it easy so far. I plan to transition for 18-24 months. Because I'm texturized, there's not a big difference between my new growth and the rest of my hair, so I don't think dealing with the two textures is as bad for me.

I'm 3 months post and I'm ready to chop. The 2 textures are killing me. From what I can feel, my natural hair feels nice. Now that I think about it, why did I bother getting a relaxer in the first place????? I plan to transition for 2 years.

I'm 3 months post and I'm ready to chop. The 2 textures are killing me. From what I can feel, my natural hair feels nice. Now that I think about it, why did I bother getting a relaxer in the first place????? I plan to transition for 2 years.

Hi chinadoll! lol

Girl i been thinkin the same thing. My mother relaxed my hair when i was about 8 or so. So i had no idea what my texture was but its growin out very nicely and i have all these springy curls. I flat ironed last night for the 1st time in about 3 months. I realized that since i stopped relaxing i was losing more hair then i thought! 7 1/2 months later and im STILL get little patches of new hair growin in. i wanna chop now sooo bad but i have a feeling i should wait unil i can tie it JUUUST in case i cant get my a regime down quick enough ill still be able to tie it back and look presentable.

Hi chinadoll! lol

Girl i been thinkin the same thing. My mother relaxed my hair when i was about 8 or so. So i had no idea what my texture was but its growin out very nicely and i have all these springy curls. I flat ironed last night for the 1st time in about 3 months. I realized that since i stopped relaxing i was losing more hair then i thought! 7 1/2 months later and im STILL get little patches of new hair growin in. i wanna chop now sooo bad but i have a feeling i should wait unil i can tie it JUUUST in case i cant get my a regime down quick enough ill still be able to tie it back and look presentable.

Hey mama, do you have progress pics? I want to take pictures but you can't see my roots. I think around 6 months, I'm going to take some.

Just started transitioning recently. Only a couple of months into it. It's been very easy so far. I am use to going 4 months without a relaxer. Hopefully things will go well until a do a BC. If I have the courage to do a BC.

I decide to relax almost every other day. I plan everything out even went so far as to base my scalp but then I wake up the next morning relieved that I didn't.
I have a question about mini-chops. Whats the point if your hair is growing in natural and you are going to experience major shrinkage? Isn't your hair going to just look shorter and shorter anyway? I hear BSL naturals saying their hair shrinks to ear length so I'm just trying to figure out is there really a point of doing mini-chops.

I decide to relax almost every other day. I plan everything out even went so far as to base my scalp but then I wake up the next morning relieved that I didn't.
I have a question about mini-chops. Whats the point if your hair is growing in natural and you are going to experience major shrinkage? Isn't your hair going to just look shorter and shorter anyway? I hear BSL naturals saying their hair shrinks to ear length so I'm just trying to figure out is there really a point of doing mini-chops.

I think it depends on the natural texture. I'm a little worried about shrinkage, too, but I don't really know what my natural hair does. There are some people w/ really long natural hair b/c they dont experience that much shrinkage.

Hey mama, do you have progress pics? I want to take pictures but you can't see my roots. I think around 6 months, I'm going to take some.

im working on that right now. im tryin to get some good ones with my phone which see to come out better then with my stupid camera. I feel bad about not posting ANY transition pics all this time but i just couldnt get any good ones. :(

I honestly don't know what I want to do I go back and forth arguing with myself on what I want to do.:arguing: I haven't had a relaxer since March 2007 and back then I was doing to pretty much bone straight. I decided to transition for healthier hair but went through a stage when my hair was fighting a battle against me and it was winning. Right now I am wearing sew in tracks and I love them and I do think my hair has grown out a lot... I want to keep going on with the natural because my texture is so beautiful to me but afraid of how much work it actually might take and how hard it might be to work with so I was thinking about texturizing. UGHH I have a fwe more weeks before I take out my big hair lol

Yall are doing great ladies!!!!! Keep up the phenomenal work!!!

Remember to not get so hung up on the hard days (we all have one or two every now and again). Take time to enjoy your journey!!

:band2: <----- cause you all are rockin' it.
:clapping: <------ cause you all deserve a round of :clapping::clapping:

:congrats: <---------- for staying the course so far!!

Thanks, LynnieB!! You're definitely one of my hair inspirations :grin:

I have a question for everybody...I was wondering when do you think transitioning really begins? Do you count the day after your last relaxer? Do you count the day when you "needed" a relaxer, and you decided not to get it? I'm just curious..:spinning:

Thanks, LynnieB!! You're definitely one of my hair inspirations :grin:

I have a question for everybody...I was wondering when do you think transitioning really begins? Do you count the day after your last relaxer? Do you count the day when you "needed" a relaxer, and you decided not to get it? I'm just curious..:spinning:

I started my transition countdown from my last relaxer. Since thats when i decided to transition...thats what i consider the beginning for me. Dont know about everybody else though.

And to autumnbeauty....i feel your pain! I've been nothing but bone straight since i first relaxed 15 yrs ago ( or shall i say..when my mother decided to have it done )
LynnieB is right on point though. some days my hair is just horrific...tangled like crazy to the point of having to cut out little tangles, and sometimes its great. this past week is the softes my hair has been in YEARS ( NG and relaxed ends ) and when i combed my conditioner through, the comb went through as easy as it did when my hair was freshly relaxed.

I too am very nervous about how to maintain it and all that. I was only 9 when i got it relaxed and i never did anything to maintain my hair back then either so this will be very new to me. But I love my NG though and now that it seems to have just had a growth spurt i cant help but get lost in playing in it lol.

I'm 4 months post. I'd considered transitioning, however, today, when I washed my already thin hair , it was so tangled that I spent 2 hours detangling and still lost a lot of hair. Normally, my tangles are small. However, today, I had several large matted patches.

After spending 2 hours detangling, as I was rolling my hair, I found more tangles.

Can someone please tell me how to transition without losing a lot of hair because of the tangles.

Back