Transitioners support thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Bublnbrnsuga
  • Start date Start date
MizAvalon said:
I'm not transistioning but I do stretch for long periods of time and Silicon Mix is amazing!

hmm. ok! is that a brand name? ..or...is that actually just a silicon mix ( dont laugh at me lol)

Elucence MBC

LilMorenita said:
can anyone tell me a conditioner that gives alot of slip especially for us transitioner? ..i now theres been thread on this before but i cant find em so feel free to put a link if u know of one.

MizAvalon said:
I'm not transistioning but I do stretch for long periods of time and Silicon Mix is amazing!

I hear good things about this... i'm going to have to give it a try

LilMorenita said:
can anyone tell me a conditioner that gives alot of slip especially for us transitioner? ..i now theres been thread on this before but i cant find em so feel free to put a link if u know of one.

I just started using Garnier Fructis Length & Strength Conditioner and Leave-In again and it works. I comb my hair back in the shower with the conditioner then squeeze dry before adding the leave-in, and I have only seen a few strands of broken off hair. I also use the Sleek N Shin Smoothing Milk because it makes combing my hair easier when I style as well.

I like this because I'm cheap, and beacuse it works pretty well for some 3-4 dollar products.

I took my scarf off this morning, slapped my phony curly pony on and was soooo proud of the waves. The more waves I see, the more I know my hair is growing. It goes back about 4-5 inches. With the pony on, I can't even SEE straight hair. I love it. This makes transitioning sweet.

Also, with my frequent cutting sprees, I've discovered that my bangs are 100% natural now. I'll have to remember not to do any mini-chops in that area now.

Now if I could just step my deep conditioning game up.....lol. I'm loving this experience though. I just wish I could find a wig I love to add some variety to my look. I'm probably going to peruse the fotkis (londondiva) to try and get motivated to try my hand at kinky twists

Hey guys

I'm transitioning...it's been 5 and a half months now... so it's fully half textured and half natural. It's hard to put my hair in a bun or a ponytail because I had to chop 1/2 an inch earlier this month all over due to splitting ends.

My regimen:

Coconut milk and lime juice (1-3x a week)

Almost daily wash with Aveda DR (it's gone now)
MC - body shop honey moisturizing con.
DC - African Pride Hair Mayonaisse

Gel -- Smooth N Shine

I air dry my hair and pull it into a bun or pony.

Any suggestions?
My crown is on the 4b side and I need to keep things flat and sceure while it dries or I have a hump on my head...lol.

Yey I'm more than 3 months post! I never thought I would make it this far!!!

Anyway, I had a question, because I have been using just about everything and buying anything and nothing has worked.

Does anyone know a good pomade or gel that will keep my hair laying down when I put it in a pony? My hair looks thick like Im wearing a helmet no matter what I do, even when I sleep on it with gel or wear a scar really tight. I have heard of some kind of burnt sugar stuff (but I forgot the name) but I want something that I can puck up at a store as opposed to ordering online (I cant afford all these shipping prices on my college budget..)

Yey I'm more than 3 months post! I never thought I would make it this far!!!

Anyway, I had a question, because I have been using just about everything and buying anything and nothing has worked.

Does anyone know a good pomade or gel that will keep my hair laying down when I put it in a pony? My hair looks thick like Im wearing a helmet no matter what I do, even when I sleep on it with gel or wear a scar really tight. I have heard of some kind of burnt sugar stuff (but I forgot the name) but I want something that I can puck up at a store as opposed to ordering online (I cant afford all these shipping prices on my college budget..)

same here...

I use Smooth N Shine Extra conditioning gel. Either that or Let's Jam gel.... IT also helps to tie your hair down when it's wet. In addition, I use Cantu Shea butter No Drip Oil... and Some kind of conditioner.

I'm in need of support today ladies. I am having SERIOUS tangle issues. I washed yesterday and had the toughest time detangling and I shed SO much hair. I'm going to twist my hair up this week so I don't have to mess with it, but I am already fearing next week when I take them down and have to wash again.:nono:

PLUS, I noticed some breakage at the demarcation line and it's freaking me out.:perplexed

I'm in need of support today ladies. I am having SERIOUS tangle issues. I washed yesterday and had the toughest time detangling and I shed SO much hair. I'm going to twist my hair up this week so I don't have to mess with it, but I am already fearing next week when I take them down and have to wash again.:nono:

PLUS, I noticed some breakage at the demarcation line and it's freaking me out.:perplexed

Hey Whimsy! I started transitioning around the same time you did and so far I haven't had much problem detangling. Here's what works for me. I pre-pooed with castor/jojoba oils the night before, woke up this morning and washed with Aveda DR poo. I separate my hair down the middle, making 2 sections, and wash that way to avoid tangles. Then I conditioned with AO Honeysuckle conditioner. Because the cond is so thick, I separate the 2 sections into smaller sections to make sure every part is covered. I rinsed, then while still in the shower, I ran the Qhemet detangler through my hair, combed my hair under the water, then ran my fingers through it to make sure there is no more tangles, and voila! I lose minimal hair that way.

What's your washing routine like? In my case, I guess pre-pooing with oil makes the biggest difference. It leaves my hair soft and supple for the next day. HTH. Good luck, chica!:smile:

Hey Whimsy! I started transitioning around the same time you did and so far I haven't had much problem detangling. Here's what works for me. I pre-pooed with castor/jojoba oils the night before, woke up this morning and washed with Aveda DR poo. I separate my hair down the middle, making 2 sections, and wash that way to avoid tangles. Then I conditioned with AO Honeysuckle conditioner. Because the cond is so thick, I separate the 2 sections into smaller sections to make sure every part is covered. I rinsed, then while still in the shower, I ran the Qhemet detangler through my hair, combed my hair under the water, then ran my fingers through it to make sure there is no more tangles, and voila! I lose minimal hair that way.

What's your washing routine like? In my case, I guess pre-pooing with oil makes the biggest difference. It leaves my hair soft and supple for the next day. HTH. Good luck, chica!:smile:

I'm going to try an oil pre-poo next week, also i'm going to purchase a detangler. I don't really have a washing routine. I sometimes saturate my dry hair w/ conditioner for a while, then use it for a cowash in the shower.
This time my hair was feeling so greasy that I just did a shampoo followed by one conditioner. but it was a detangling conditioner, and it didn't really work well. I separate into two sections too. But I think I'm probably not gentle enough w/ my hair....

I'm going to try an oil pre-poo next week, also i'm going to purchase a detangler. I don't really have a washing routine. I sometimes saturate my dry hair w/ conditioner for a while, then use it for a cowash in the shower.
This time my hair was feeling so greasy that I just did a shampoo followed by one conditioner. but it was a detangling conditioner, and it didn't really work well. I separate into two sections too. But I think I'm probably not gentle enough w/ my hair....

Try it and see if it works for you...IMO the Qhemet detangler does a great job. I actually wanted to try the coconut milk/lemon juice, but realized at the last minute that the coconut milk cans I had had already expired. Then I remembered that the detangler had virgin coconut cream as its base. That might be a reason why it works so well.
But I still lost too much hair while I was getting my hair braided. :perplexed Airdrying doesn't really work for me. I need more styling options...

after being relaxed for 3 years, I have started my transition back to natural. I am a little over a month into it, so no problems here yet. I was gonna big chop, but my sister talked me out of it, and said that all I needed was a hotcomb and grease when I wanted to straighten my newgrowth. so I plan to alternate like this

Week 1-2 cornrows, take down on friday, wear a braidout for parties, wash/deep condition on Sunday, airdry/or blowdry, rebraid for another week, spraying African Royale braid spray/infusium/glycerine (when newgrowth comes), keep these in for another week

Week 3 hot oil treatment/wash/deep condition airdry, hotcomb(electric)/flatiron with vitapointe, wear this style for a week

Week 4- Braids again

I'm Transitioning w/o the big chop. I'm about a month in, not much progress, but I'm excited to see my natural hair. I'm done with the relaxers, no more spending $5 every 8 weeks.

I'm Transitioning w/o the big chop. I'm about a month in, not much progress, but I'm excited to see my natural hair. I'm done with the relaxers, no more spending $5 every 8 weeks.

yay!! welcome to the club girly! I know how u feel about feeling your natural hair! the other day i almost got into a car accident while playin around with my new growth :lachen:. Im almost 6 months in. Ill probably do a BC @ 12-15 months. depending on how much growth ive had by then.

yay!! welcome to the club girly! I know how u feel about feeling your natural hair! the other day i almost got into a car accident while playin around with my new growth :lachen:. Im almost 6 months in. Ill probably do a BC @ 12-15 months. depending on how much growth ive had by then.

Girl you are too much! :giggle: What is your hair type?

Last edited:
Soooo I amm still transitioning (4 months and counting), but I had to do a semi chop- my big roots were making the rest of my hair look thinner, plus I was shedding like crazy. I am not sure why cutting my hair would reduce the shedding at the root (??). Anyhow, I now have a chin length bob that I really like. I am not going shorter than I am right now- I'll just keep it around this length until my transition is over.

I have about 2 inches of NG and the rest is texlaxed so it's pretty easy to do a wash n go if I feel like it since none of my hair is straight.

BTW- I agree with pre-pooing- it helps SOOO much with detangling. However I don't use oil I use any cheapie conditioner. I separate my hair as if applying a relaxer, and drown my roots with the conditioner, then let it sit for about 30 min. It really helps so much. Whoever came up with the idea- thank you! Detangling is now a breeze.:drunk:

I am throwing in the towel. I am going to texturize my hair. If i dont like that i'll go back to relaxers. Even though i am almost 100% natural, i only have a tiny amount of relaxed hair left. I still wear my hair straight most of the time. I just blow dry it straight. Yesterday i blow dried it and curled it and with me sweating and all the humidity i ended up with a big old puff. I just dont know what to do. I want to be able to wear my hair straight without having to worry about it puffing up on me. It been almost 2 years without a relaxer. A part of me feels like i am giving up.:ohwell: But i never intended on wearing my hair out and natural though.

Last edited:
ladies who are transitioning w/o a bc, how are you wearing your hair. i was rollersetting but i combed out two BIG CLUMPS of hair. and i would like to keep some length but i dont know that i can wear my hair out.....

ladies who are transitioning w/o a bc, how are you wearing your hair. i was rollersetting but i combed out two BIG CLUMPS of hair. and i would like to keep some length but i dont know that i can wear my hair out.....

I'm doing a lot of twistouts, braidouts and airdried ponytails. I don't ever rollerset anymore. I also get blowouts sometimes.

Ladies I am about to give up.. please stop me! It is so f-en HOT:burn: in Houston and no matter WHAT STYLE I try my new growth blows up on me even if I striaghten and apply Aveda Antihumectant and a ton of oils to it. My hair is not getting any longer and I havent noticed an increase in thickness either since joining. I have no idea what to do. How often to prepoo, co wash, deep con??? My protective styles are not causing my hair to grow and in fact I am sheeding like a damm dog:wallbash: I just want healthy thick APL for right now... I feel like giving up the fight....

Ladies I am about to give up.. please stop me! It is so f-en HOT:burn: in Houston and no matter WHAT STYLE I try my new growth blows up on me even if I striaghten and apply Aveda Antihumectant and a ton of oils to it. My hair is not getting any longer and I havent noticed an increase in thickness either since joining. I have no idea what to do. How often to prepoo, co wash, deep con??? My protective styles are not causing my hair to grow and in fact I am sheeding like a damm dog:wallbash: I just want healthy thick APL for right now... I feel like giving up the fight....

Girl, I was completely natural for a few years while living in Houston and I understand your frustration. I would wash and straighten my hair w/ a hot comb every three to four days. I know it sounds disastrous but my hair actually grew out to bra strap, lol.

If you're feeling frustrated you could try a style that would allow you to leave your hair alone for awhile. I'm getting micros in a couple of months just for a change. You may also want to look into treatments if the shedding is too much of a problem. A-lot of ladies like Alter Ego Cren and Alter Ego Garlic treatment. But I had to accept that my hair is going to shed more than I'm used to now that I'm transitioning.

Congratulations to ALL you ladies- those who made the transition, BCed or are just doing what you gotta do to be natural! I have read every page (well I skimmed the last few bc I got so anxious to post!) of this thread and I have decided to make a long transition to natural! :think: I stretched my last relaxer to 12 wks, and I was LOVING my NG (even though I still dont know what "type" it is- kinda zigzaggy, kinda wavy :confused:). I almost decided to keep stretching, but I didn't know how to really take care of the NG. Too bad I didn't know then what I know now or else I would have said NO to the relaxer! Oh well, better late than never!

I'm already pretty good with doing curly rollersets-- I'm still trying to get the hang of doing a rollerset that I can wear fairly straight. I'm also trying to work on my braidouts and twist outs. I did some flat twists the other day and I took them out and got some good results! I don't know how to get the twists to be tight though...:confused:

I figure if I practice these styles now, it might be a littttttle bit easier to do once I have a ton of NG (I can save all my stress for battling the 2 textures instead of worrying about how to twist my hair!).

Whew! That was kinda long but I've been reading for days and I couldnt wait to post! I'm not telling a lot of people about my plan (just my SO and a close friend) bc people tell me I dont have the discipline to go natural. Well what do they know?! I'm just happy that I'll have the support of everyone here! :wave:

Back