Transitioners support thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Bublnbrnsuga
  • Start date Start date
When is it a good idea to do the big chop? Im four months into it and I really feel tempted to just cut it off, I've cut off 4 inches a month ago should I just finish it off already?

Its all up to you really. It will be very short at 4months and probably shrink more once you cut off all the relaxed hair stretching it out but if you're cool with the length you'll be at then go for it! I wish had the guts too because i want to so bad but i know ill murder myself for not waiting until i can tie it.

Why dont you do a search for the subject BC and see what comes up. I know there a lot of ladies on here that have BC'ed very early on and have pics to go with it.

Okay Ladies! This will be my very first time transitioning, I just Relaxed about a month ago, I think, but I don't like it, I miss my Natural hair very much, But I always Relax due to length, so I decided to transition, I am so tired of BC because I always get mad after 9 months when I can't do anything to my hair but wear a Twa, So I am reading up on everything about transitioing, I think it will be good for me, but we will see, I only have like 3 inches of Relaxed hair, so I have a very good start and won't even miss the relaxed part after awhile.

I am just having a busy life and I just don't have time for a Relaxer, or Salons, My natural hair was a breeze, But O well, I will transition, so if anyone can help me and give me tips or adopt me, I will be more than happy. But I know how to care for my Natural hair so I need no help there, But I need help on maintaining 2 textures, I don't have much newgrowth so right now it is a breeze LOL!!!!!!

Okay Ladies! This will be my very first time transitioning, I just Relaxed about a month ago, I think, but I don't like it, I miss my Natural hair very much, But I always Relax due to length, so I decided to transition, I am so tired of BC because I always get mad after 9 months when I can't do anything to my hair but wear a Twa, So I am reading up on everything about transitioing, I think it will be good for me, but we will see, I only have like 3 inches of Relaxed hair, so I have a very good start and won't even miss the relaxed part after awhile.

I am just having a busy life and I just don't have time for a Relaxer, or Salons, My natural hair was a breeze, But O well, I will transition, so if anyone can help me and give me tips or adopt me, I will be more than happy. But I know how to care for my Natural hair so I need no help there, But I need help on maintaining 2 textures, I don't have much newgrowth so right now it is a breeze LOL!!!!!!

dang girl, that sure didn't last long :grin:!

take your time, be patient, take good care of that line of demarcation and you'll be just fine :yep:

Lol, me too! The JFM is cool, I like it and all, but there is too much room for error, overprocessing, and having stringy strands. Plus I loved my original texture, just hated the shrinkage and how short it was. I only transitioned for 3 months last time so this time I'm just going to let it grow with no BC. Not even sure if I'm going to conciously cut out the texurized ends. My hair is only 6 or 7 inches long so eventually those will be gone through trimmings. Wish me luck!

dang girl, that sure didn't last long :grin:!

take your time, be patient, take good care of that line of demarcation and you'll be just fine :yep:

:grin: I know huh!! I wrote the explanation and all when I decided to relax, so it could have been 2 months ago, I am not for sure, But natural hair has spoiled me, I loved my texture but not my length, it seem like I stayed in a Twa for almost 2 years, because I had done another BC before when I was Natural due to stress, I mean for me Rocking a Twa for 9 months gets tiresome and then I can't afford braids so I was needing something different, but as you can see that was short lived.:grin:

So I hope this goes well, I am very excited to be doing this,It is probably something I should have done the first time:grin:

Sweetkita4 we will make it, we can get through this, I just want to be able to pull my hair into a puff, or wear some cute shoulder length twist, But we will do it, Good Luck to you!!!!

Its all up to you really. It will be very short at 4months and probably shrink more once you cut off all the relaxed hair stretching it out but if you're cool with the length you'll be at then go for it! I wish had the guts too because i want to so bad but i know ill murder myself for not waiting until i can tie it.

Why dont you do a search for the subject BC and see what comes up. I know there a lot of ladies on here that have BC'ed very early on and have pics to go with it.

I am trying to avoid the BC like the plague, but I know eventually I will probably have to do it. I'm trying to do mini-chops!

I'm having my first real issue with transitioning. I'm 9 months in and yesterday I tried to do a twist out. One side look so pretty and the other side looked crazy. So all my hard work had to be put in a ponytail. I'll give it another go tonight. Because I'm trying to go a month without straightening my hair. I'll probably last 2 weeks. But I am frustrated, but I refuse to relax. I'm not going through all of this for nothing.

I've been transitioning now for over 5 months and every now and then I get the urge to perm but everytime I come here I get motivated all over again.

I plan on doing the big chop on January 1, 2008!:)

im 4 months into the transition and getting slightly impatient. Did anyone's hair go through a growth sprut? I feel like my hair is taking FOREVER, to grow. I have been changing my diet, implementing more water, staying away from red meat, drinking seaweed soup daily..is my hair just on a haitus and then will push out like daisies, or do I need to do something more. I dont really do topical growth aids, except for MN...(when I started using this, I really saw my hair take off) Maybe its cuz the shrinkage is taking over, I cant tell the difference. Any input would be great.:wallbash:

okay im back trying to transition again....im 2 months in...this time im reading up on the whole method of transition...and going at it a different way...

wigs(full cap and LF's the tape method) and synthetic braids/kinky twist(they both worked very well to grow my hair and give me alot of growth)

I'm trying to grow my hair line back before i get any braids done....

this time i am really determined to grow my hair and go natural...

im 4 months into the transition and getting slightly impatient. Did anyone's hair go through a growth sprut? I feel like my hair is taking FOREVER, to grow. I have been changing my diet, implementing more water, staying away from red meat, drinking seaweed soup daily..is my hair just on a haitus and then will push out like daisies, or do I need to do something more. I dont really do topical growth aids, except for MN...(when I started using this, I really saw my hair take off) Maybe its cuz the shrinkage is taking over, I cant tell the difference. Any input would be great.:wallbash:

I feel impatient too. My hair seems like it's at a stand still right now but, whenever I get my hair straightened I realize that it's probably just shrinkage.

Another transitioner checking in. I'm 5 months in. It hasn't been hard for me yet. But I cut my hair into a bob a few weeks ago and there's no problems with me wearing it straight, but when I wear it in other styles, I'm not too excited about it. Just did a twistout the other day that I was happy with, so that is one non-straight alternative, and I can still pull it back into a little bun (wet) if I want--but that's my last resort. Anyway, no big hiccups yet, I just want it to grow and grow and grow. I can't wait to be completely natural!

I'm transitioning as well. Its been about 9 months (39 weeks) since my last TR. I know I need to wait until about 18 months to BC because last time I went natural I was very unhappy with my length. My hair is currently BSL. I'm alternating between flat ironing (dry all day in a ponytail and then flat iron for 15 mins) and wearing in wet braids and ponytails. My straight styles only last about 2 days because my hair gets greasy fast (even with no product). I wish I could get them to last longer.

Lace fronts? I see you are in ATL...where are you going to go to get yours? They are in abundance there...here in NC they are a little skimp. At least in my neck of the woods.

okay im back trying to transition again....im 2 months in...this time im reading up on the whole method of transition...and going at it a different way...

wigs(full cap and LF's the tape method) and synthetic braids/kinky twist(they both worked very well to grow my hair and give me alot of growth)

I'm trying to grow my hair line back before i get any braids done....

this time i am really determined to grow my hair and go natural...

Lace fronts? I see you are in ATL...where are you going to go to get yours? They are in abundance there...here in NC they are a little skimp. At least in my neck of the woods.

I'm 11 weeks into my transitioning. I'm just reading up on it right now. hair is being bunned, put into rollersets and some doobies... I really think it's time for me to learn how to braid.

I'm transitioning as well. Its been about 9 months (39 weeks) since my last TR. I know I need to wait until about 18 months to BC because last time I went natural I was very unhappy with my length. My hair is currently BSL. I'm alternating between flat ironing (dry all day in a ponytail and then flat iron for 15 mins) and wearing in wet braids and ponytails. My straight styles only last about 2 days because my hair gets greasy fast (even with no product). I wish I could get them to last longer.

well im right there wth you then!! im about 34 into my transition and im more then likely not BCing until 18 months as well. I dont want to chop to early and be devistated...even though i just want to so badly right now cause its kinda of starting to annoy me and im tired of my signature style. Im only about shoulder length right now though and i have about 4-4 1/2 inches of NG stretched. ( i had a very short bob when i started )

Hi ladies,

I am in need of advice. I am trying to continue my transitioning....I have done so thus far with sew ins while I was in a training program....to keep from ruining my hair. Relaxing is not option - after a car accident and surgeries I had alopecia and hair loss...and bad braid experiences (the braider brushed the braids out literally....at a time when I could not use my arm).....

I am just out of my sew in....and I have no idea how to style my hair and I am afraid the ends are getting dry....I am getting it pressed (1 time now) and I want to work out and I have no idea of how to care for my hair. I bought the Mizani H2O for my ends....but I REALLY REALLY need help with how to do some protective styles. Like is the elastic ponytail holder bad for your hair for an updo?

I was a little disappointed that there does not seem to be a big change since my last sew in (and I won't be doing them for a while - I need to learn to care for my hair)...but since this is the only way I have gotten any length - I am afraid of damaging the ends! My HD is usually really good at dusting the ends and giving it a nice shape....I checked the floor and watch while she does it ....this time I saw just a few 1/2 inch pieces from the back....I think it was uneven....but I only go to her post sew in (after removing it myself...don't need all that tugging on my hair)
I am stuck!!! somewhere between BSL and APL.....and winter is here and I need help keeping it.

So here are my ???s:
1) What do you do with your hair when you wear a coat to keep the ends from rubbing the coat (if it is down)?
2) Are those conair hot rollers bad for your hair? (or ok b/c it is indirect heat)...I do not want to use curling iron at all for styling...
(btw - those work wonderfully on my sew ins.....leave with tight curls - they fall gradually throughout the day)
3) can someone please walk me through simple and safe updos?
4) How often do you apply something to your ends and what product?

Ladies thanks a bunch....I am going to upload my most recent pics to my fotki so you can see what I am talking about....there is one with curls and a tan/brown/red shirt -- that is my easy roller set look with my sew in and the con air rollers....they work wonderfully with the weave - but kinda make the ends of my hair puffy (maybe b/c the rollers are ridged? they are not steam rollers?? Not sure....anyway, feel free to take a peek!

Thanks - you all are so awesome! I would never have even tried this if I did not have this community....even my mom can't believe how much healthier my hair has gotten since my accident. Thanks bunches!

Hello Everyone!

I'm a new transitioner and I also have a couple of questions:

1. Is there a list of Transitioners who have fotki to document their progress? I did a search and found nothing. I'm not usually on here so I don't know who 's page to look at.

2. What month has been the hardest for you to get over?

Well its almost 10 months since I last relaxed my hair, and I've been getting by on wash and goes. However, its getting colder, and I am running out of styles to do, help!:ohwell:

Have you tried a twist out or a braid out? Your hair is already long, so you should be able to do like 4 or 6 twists or braids overnight and then take them out in the morning. Bublnbrnsuga said she does 4 braids in her hair and take it out. That's how it was at the NYC meeting and it looked GREAT. I don't have enough hair now to do it, but I think that's what I'm gonna do when my hair gets longer.

I'm transitioning as well. Its been about 9 months (39 weeks) since my last TR. I know I need to wait until about 18 months to BC because last time I went natural I was very unhappy with my length. My hair is currently BSL. I'm alternating between flat ironing (dry all day in a ponytail and then flat iron for 15 mins) and wearing in wet braids and ponytails. My straight styles only last about 2 days because my hair gets greasy fast (even with no product). I wish I could get them to last longer.[/QUOTE]

This is me as well. I feel guilty when I flat iron, cause it's a guarantee that maybe (on a good week) my results will last 4 days. All that work and heat for just 3-4 days. My normal styles at this point are wash n go, rollersets or airdry then Carusos (produces a HUGE result, but at least its a definite curly style)

Last edited:
Hey peoples.... I'm back transitioning again. Early august was my last texlax. In the winter I plan on doing my hair straight weekly. I hope i stick to that. Right now I'm wearing a braidout...

How long are you all planning on transitioning?

I'm planning on transitioning until December 2008 in time for my graduation from Grad school. So about 16 months roughly.

Ladies what do you do to keep your newgrowth moisturized while wearing your rollersets? I'm talking about when your set is about 5 days+ old.

well im right there wth you then!! im about 34 into my transition and im more then likely not BCing until 18 months as well. I dont want to chop to early and be devistated...even though i just want to so badly right now cause its kinda of starting to annoy me and im tired of my signature style. Im only about shoulder length right now though and i have about 4-4 1/2 inches of NG stretched. ( i had a very short bob when i started )

Hi LilMorenita.... I know exactly how you feel. I am anxious to cut (after seeing so many beautiful bc pics here) but I know I will regret it. This weekend I experimented by leaving some conditioner in and just letting my hair dry. My curls reached to just below my eyebrow, which is about halfway down my face (from my center part). Right now about a third of my hair is natural, with two-thirds processed. I think I will do a mini-chop in the new year. The last few inches of my hair have color on them and I think I can at least let that part go. :)

This is me as well. I feel guilty when I flat iron, cause it's a guarantee that maybe (on a good week) my results will last 4 days. All that work and heat for just 3-4 days. My normal styles at this point are wash n go, rollersets or airdry then Carusos (produces a HUGE result, but at least its a definite curly style)

I try not to feel too guilty about the flat iron. I've been monitoring my hair and I dont think I'm damaging my new growth. Whatever gets me to the end... But yeah its frustrating having my straight styles only last a few days. My hair is back in a single braid today. I don't know what I'm going to do when it gets really cold though...

I'm planning on transitioning until December 2008 in time for my graduation from Grad school. So about 16 months roughly.

Ladies what do you do to keep your newgrowth moisturized while wearing your rollersets? I'm talking about when your set is about 5 days+ old.

Hey fullsizediva!

I just use ORS olive oil cream or cantu shea butter before I pincurl. I gather all the separated curls so that I can pin them easily and as I'm gathering, I apply the moisturizer to the NG and then down the strands if I need to. Then I go over the big curls w/ a little bit of jojoba and pin. I've been trying to do it every night, but usually do it every other or every third and I wear my sets for about 2 weeks (had to cut back on the washing- I was hurting the H2O bill!). It's not that long of a process to me, but I know theres probably a quicker way. If somebody knows it, please SHARE!! :grin:

It was so inspiring reading the "what you love about your natural hair" and looking at the natural fotki's. It's hard to hear all the negative we were hearing from naturals lhcf members while trying to stay focused on transitioning.

oh im sorry....i got my first Lacefront frm a salon....and she did the application...it was crazy expensive...im now just trying to wait until i get my $$$ back right before i can go back and buy some more maybe and do my own application but with tape this time....

i have a question since everyone is transitionin i wanted to know if cowashin is benefitng any of you(keep your hair from breaking since its in the transition phase with new growth)....

i find that even though i apply oil on my hair it still feels dry and i guess you could really say the oil is sitting on top of my hair. I was thinking of starting to cowash more on a regular basis to see if this may keep my new growth from breaking and make an easy transition(just was noticing how pretty Southern Tease hair was)

Last edited:
oh im sorry....i got my first Lacefront frm a salon....and she did the application...it was crazy expensive...im now just trying to wait until i get my $$$ back right before i can go back and buy some more maybe and do my own application but with tape this time....

i have a question since everyone is transitionin i wanted to know if cowashin is benefitng any of you(keep your hair from breaking since its in the transition phase with new growth)....

i find that even though i apply oil on my hair it still feels dry and i guess you could really say the oil is sitting on top of my hair. I was thinking of starting to cowash more on a regular basis to see if this may keep my new growth from breaking and make an easy transition(just was noticing how pretty Southern Tease hair was)

Let me tell how much better my hair is from cowashing!! lol My hair is SOOOO much softer now. i now only use shampoo once a month to clarify. I cowash pretty much everyday since i only comb/tie my hair up while its wet. When combing the conditioner through...the comb GLIDES through my hair. ( after letting it sit for about 5mins ).That was not the case when i used to shampoo and then condition. After shampooing, combing the condition through was about a 15 mins task. Also, my hair has hardly ANY breakage and very little shedding. I also flat iron my hair a couple of times a month to give my hairline a break from all the pulling. When i flat iron is when i can really see the difference in my hair. Its like silk. I honestly had no idea how many problems shampooing was giving me.

So definately give it a try you wont believe how much softer your hair will be.

I did cornrows in my hair, you protecive style. Well my hair threw a world class hissy fit, I couldnt even make a WEEK, before I had to take it all down and wash. Then as my washing, my hair was shedding like crazy (the relaxed ends) I detangled and everything was fine, but I really didnt like the condition of my hair after having this style for so long. Its like if I dont apply moisture EVERYDAY, my hair will not act right...Oh and lets not talk about it looking crazy:spinning:...here I am with springy curls and stick straight ends.....(Im sorry, but I needed to vent) Is anyone else going through Hair Woes???:perplexed

Back