Transitioners support thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Bublnbrnsuga
  • Start date Start date
Hey, ladies! Transitioner checking in here. :wavey:

My last relaxer was March 1, 2007, so I've been transitioning for about 6 months (29 weeks to be exact). I had originally planned on transitioning without the big chop; however, I ended up getting a medium chop a couple of weeks ago due to the extreme tangling, breakage and thinning my hair was experiencing. I went from BSL to just below shoulder length, but it's all good though. That hair was bound to be cut at some point during my journey.

I'm 4 months post. I'd considered transitioning, however, today, when I washed my already thin hair , it was so tangled that I spent 2 hours detangling and still lost a lot of hair. Normally, my tangles are small. However, today, I had several large matted patches.

After spending 2 hours detangling, as I was rolling my hair, I found more tangles.

Can someone please tell me how to transition without losing a lot of hair because of the tangles.

Hi QueenT - You and I have been transisitioning for about the same amount of tlme. You hair looks considerably longer than mine since I have a blunt cut bob, so your situation might be a little more nerve wrecking. But I've been able to avoid tangles by keeping my hair moisturized, especially the new growth, and keeping it separated when shampooing, for example in braids or twists. Have you ever heard of the Crown and Glory method? You can find it online at http://www.growafrohairlong.com/shampooingnatural.html. There is a video tutorial on the website. The process involves separating your hair in 4 or 6 sections in braids or twists. You rinse, cleanse, and comb through each section with a wide tooth comb, then re-twist before moving to the next section. This keeps the hair from tangling. You do not rub back and forth to lather up and cleanse the scalp. This is only tangles the hair. The book "Going Natural" also recommends a similar way of washing, but takes out a few of the Crown and Glory steps. Both these methods take a little longer, but you end of with considerably less tangles. Also, you should find a very mild shampoo, one without sulfates, or use instant conditioner to cleanse. This keeps the hair from being stripped of the oils and moisturizes. Also, try a detangling product to give your hair some slip before combing and only detangle damp, well moisturized hair.

Happy transitioning! Stick with it!

I'm 4 months post. I'd considered transitioning, however, today, when I washed my already thin hair , it was so tangled that I spent 2 hours detangling and still lost a lot of hair. Normally, my tangles are small. However, today, I had several large matted patches.

After spending 2 hours detangling, as I was rolling my hair, I found more tangles.

Can someone please tell me how to transition without losing a lot of hair because of the tangles.

QueenT, lbfree offered good suggestions- washing in sections is a must if you are more than 4 months post. I have found that using ALOT more conditioner is in order.

For me personally- I also experienced alot of tangling and shedding before I cut my hair (which is why I cut it). I am not ready for a BC, and don't plan on one, but I did cut about 5 inches off of the length at 4 months post, because I just couldn't take the tangles. Since I did a semi chop, I have almost no tangling when I wash. I am now right at 6 months post.

Thanks for the suggestions. My plan was to gradually cut my hair ( one inch every two months). Thanks to a jealous beautican, I have bald spots. By rolling my thin bsl lenth hair on small rollers I hide the bald spots. Therefore, I don't want to cut my hair until the bald spots fill in.

I'll try to wash my hair in sections next time.

I have a question. When you are growing you new growth do you comb it w comb, or with your fingers. My new growth is "springy curls" and I dont want to mess them up by combing it, but I dont want them to get tangled either.

Also I am doing the transition without the BC, should I gradually cut the relaxer off a few cm at a time? I dont want my hair to look crazy, but I can see that it is starting to get there.

I have a question. When you are growing you new growth do you comb it w comb, or with your fingers. My new growth is "springy curls" and I dont want to mess them up by combing it, but I dont want them to get tangled either.

Also I am doing the transition without the BC, should I gradually cut the relaxer off a few cm at a time? I dont want my hair to look crazy, but I can see that it is starting to get there.

Ive been combing my new growth and i still have the same springy curls :) however at almost 8 months post...there is NO combing through it when its dry. The style ive been using for a while now is tied back in a pony tail with a curly phony pony. therefore i condition wash every day and when its wet i comb it and then put it up in the pony tail. Doing it this way gives me VERY little breakage. i could probably get the comb through my hair if it is dry but i really dont wanna put my hair under that much stress especially with that fragile line demarcation.

Can't really offer useful advice about the cutting because i probably will be doing a BC @ around 18 months. i do notice alot of people that transition w/ out the BC doing little trims or cuts though... did you take a look at that "transitioning w/out the BC" thread?

Hello ladies,

I have a few questions. Does anyone use the hot rollers? I have some Remington tight curl rollers that give me the cutest curls with my sew in - but the ends are always frizzy with my natural hair (even though they are not steam rollers) after I finger comb it a bit. Any input or suggestions on how to keep the ends looking good?

AND, I see the cutest buns, however, how do I not put too much tension on my hair and get my ends "protected". What are good end protection styles. I am just past shoulder length and have no idea what to do with my hair after straightening on 1st day as far as styling for the week that does not involve an elastic or a clip to "help" me pin it up. Any suggestions?

I bought some Mizani rose cream for my ends - how often should I use this in the evening before tying up?

Thanks

BTW - I saw a woman with the thickest, longest hair in San Francisco - and it looked like my 4a/4b non behaving sometimes thick/ yet fragile hair - down to her waist!! She said she did it herself - taking 2 days, 1 to wash, 1 to straighten. She mentioned a pressing oil/creme/pomade that she said could be found at most beauty supply stores - it is aqua or in turqouise/aqua packaging. Anyone familiar with an awesome pressing creme of this description? I am ready to try out all the techniques - but need to be ready!

Please help! :)
Thanks
Ladibug

ok i updated my fotki!! I put a few pics in there showing my texture. Take a look if you'd like :) ( and bear with me...its only a cell phone camera!)

Ill be updating again at the end of the adopt a newbie challenge with a pic of it flat ironed so can see the length im at.

fotki address is in my profile

Just checking in to say I'm 7 months post (feels much longer, though).

Has anyone else realized how completely useless shampoo is now? Lately it's just co-wash, co-wash, co-wash, but it seems to be the ideal regimen for lazy people like myself.

Just checking in to say I'm 7 months post (feels much longer, though).

Has anyone else realized how completely useless shampoo is now? Lately it's just co-wash, co-wash, co-wash, but it seems to be the ideal regimen for lazy people like myself.

me too!! i use it once a month to clarify and after i shampoo...its so dry and crinkly and there is just NO getting a comb through it. I co wash every day and my hair is SO soft now!

Well its almost 10 months since I last relaxed my hair, and I've been getting by on wash and goes. However, its getting colder, and I am running out of styles to do, help!:ohwell:

me too!! i use it once a month to clarify and after i shampoo...its so dry and crinkly and there is just NO getting a comb through it. I co wash every day and my hair is SO soft now!

I was wondering why my hair felt that way... Whenever I use shampoo, its like pointless.. not soft, defined curls, but it just feels like it sticks together.. I though it was my shampoo... guess Ill have to stick with conditioner..

YAY Mook! Keep it up! I can't wait to get to 20 weeks!

Panama... your bantu curls are SO cute! I'm PMing you with a question...

InNeedOf... is your siggy pic your natural hair or is that some kind of set? Either way it looks so pretty!

Sorry to answer so late :blush:

The pic in my avatar is from last month. I think I was 9 months post relaxer in it. I can't say how much is natural hair and how much is relaxed since I've been doing mini chops. I did single strand twists, or finger coils...similar to comb coils but w/out a comb

and thank you!

Checking in at 19 weeks. Braidouts, my phony puff, and the occasional flat ironing has gotten me through. I've been doing wash n gos here there as well. It hasn't been hard for me at all....yet. Hoping the ease will last!

41 weeks since my last relaxer.

Even though I'm not using direct heat, not man-handling my hair with brushes and combs, or using chemicals, I feel like i have a lot of work to do to get it healthy. I feel like the relaxed ends are 'tainted' and I need to get rid of them to have the healthiest possible hair. I just don't want to cut now b/c I feel my hair will be too short for my comfort

I've been pre-pooing w/ hollywood olive oil cholesterol and evoo. Shampooing w/ CON and then DC w/ Silicon Mix. My leave ins have been silicon mix, lacio lacio, BB Castor Oil, or Sunsilk (pink bottle)

I was struggling w/ dc and not doing it like I was supposed to. I am now consistently dc'ing, but I'm slipping in other areas like moisturizing, mini chops, and styling..

I am interested in getting braids for the next month until my sister gets my hair done for my mothers wedding (i manipulate too much)
but i havent had braids in 6 years and am scared cause I want MicroBraids!

can someone tell me if my hair is too long to do this? I am a few inches past my shoulders but not quite APL all the way, and I will be 6 months post on the 22nd of this month.

should I do a protein treatment before, or after? both?
please, someone help, cause Im doing the APhogee tonight (hopefully) and trying to get into braids by the end of this week.

Checking in at 19 weeks. Braidouts, my phony puff, and the occasional flat ironing has gotten me through. I've been doing wash n gos here there as well. It hasn't been hard for me at all....yet. Hoping the ease will last!
Welcome back! :hiya: and good luck with your transition. I thought you had always been natural.

checkin in again at 8 months post! yay! :yay:
I just wanna BC soooo bad. my texture feels so nice...but i know i'll regret doin it since i wouldnt be able to tie it back yet.

Its been goin great except my style has been to tie it back and put a curly phony pony but i think im noticing alittle thinning again in the hairline from brushing it back so often so im gonna need to figure something else out. Ive worked so hard to grow that part back after it fell out from relaxing, i dont wanna take another step back again.

How are you ladies styling your hair?? i dont wanna leave it loose because the minute I get hot or start to sweat its all over....and its always pretty effin hot where i work

how bout if i put a little headband or something to hold down the hair..this way i wont have to brush it back so hard.....would that look silly?

Thanks!

IMO before and after

id say the same. Definately before and after

Stilletos i dont really know of any good styles. my problem right now is with styling as well. lol

But when im able to wear a wash n go i think the only difference i will make in the styling is that i will allow for extra time for wash n go to dry before stepping out.

Hi Ladies, I'm new to the board, and I haven't relaxed my hair since Dec '06. I don't have a regimen, but I'm looking for one, lol. I've been doing wash and go's since spring. I'm trying to stay away from heat, but I need some help finding a regimen. Any ideas or advice???

id say the same. Definately before and after

Stilletos i dont really know of any good styles. my problem right now is with styling as well. lol

But when im able to wear a wash n go i think the only difference i will make in the styling is that i will allow for extra time for wash n go to dry before stepping out.

Thanks ladies!
I did the aphogee and my hair feels so strong! Even if I don't get braids I think Ill continue doing this treatment every 6 weeks because it did such a good job.:grin:

Thanks ladies!
I did the aphogee and my hair feels so strong! Even if I don't get braids I think Ill continue doing this treatment every 6 weeks because it did such a good job.:grin:

I do the aphogee treatment once a month and it has made a huge difference!!

Hi Ladies, I'm new to the board, and I haven't relaxed my hair since Dec '06. I don't have a regimen, but I'm looking for one, lol. I've been doing wash and go's since spring. I'm trying to stay away from heat, but I need some help finding a regimen. Any ideas or advice???

Welcome!! I also haven't relaxe my hair since Dec '06, and I've been trying to get by with wash-and-goes, but it is getting too cold for that. Right now I have my hair in kinky twists

I did something horrible to my hair so it's decided to shed excessively, break off and just feel like crap sooooo I'm transitioning. I really probably need to shave and start over but I'll try and just gradulaly trim and transition.

I did something horrible to my hair so it's decided to shed excessively, break off and just feel like crap sooooo I'm transitioning. I really probably need to shave and start over but I'll try and just gradulaly trim and transition.

Excuse my nosiness ( sp?) ...but...what did you do?

When is it a good idea to do the big chop? Im four months into it and I really feel tempted to just cut it off, I've cut off 4 inches a month ago should I just finish it off already?

I don't know if my opinion is valid, but from what I've read in other threads on different boards, there isn't a set time to chop. Personally, I decided not to the BC..I am letting my hair/relaxer grow out. I've been transitioning for almost a year and a half.

Back