Transitioners support thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Bublnbrnsuga
  • Start date Start date
I'm being lazy as I don't have the time this morning to read through the whole thread, so please enlighten me on the basic transitioning steps. From what i've gathered from bouncing around the board is that the transitioning process entails, not perming the hair (of course) and then at some point doing a big chop to remove all of the relaxed hair? Is that right? What is the best point to do the big chop? Is a big chop necessary? I'm thinking that when i do get length, I'll hate to see it go. Sorry to be so dense, but i'm still new so i'm trying to grasp a lot of stuff quickly.

Lala825 said:
I'm being lazy as I don't have the time this morning to read through the whole thread, so please enlighten me on the basic transitioning steps. From what i've gathered from bouncing around the board is that the transitioning process entails, not perming the hair (of course) and then at some point doing a big chop to remove all of the relaxed hair? Is that right? What is the best point to do the big chop? Is a big chop necessary? I'm thinking that when i do get length, I'll hate to see it go. Sorry to be so dense, but i'm still new so i'm trying to grasp a lot of stuff quickly.

I can understand not wanting to read the whole thread now, it is mega long. There are numerous ways to transition. Some people do the big chop only a few weeks after stopping relaxing and rock a TWA (teeny weeny afro) for a while. Some, like myself, transitioned in stages cutting some of the relaxed hair off at different times. And others transition for many months and cut their relaxed ends off all at once.

So if you want to go natural how you do it is up to you. Also, you should spend some time browsing this thread when you get a chance. It was very helpful for me when I transitioned.

ETA: Good luck reaching your hair goals whether relaxed or natural.

Last edited:
Thanks Semora. There's so much to read and i'm bouncing around so many of the threads, I was looking for a quick fix. ;) After posting my question, I started reading through the thread (i'm not the most patient person, but i'm trying to grow in that area too!) and am seriously thinking that i'll do the progressive chop instead of the big chop.

I realize I have much work to do, but i'm up for the challenge. :)

Just a little thought for transitioners..........

don't sleep on cheap and by that i mean things like castor oil and glycerin are GREAT things that don't cost an arm and a leg and they do work.

glycerin you find in products (as already mentioned) like stay soft fro, wave nouveau and world of curls, etc. sprays but you can also make your own just as easily and add other things to it that benefit your particular hair and scalp issues. some folks don't like the smell of some of these products or they find the product mix isn't compatible for their hair so making your own is a way of getting the benefit of the main ingredient and customizing it for you.

just take a spray bottle (sally's has 'em or you can recycle one from other products) and become your own mixtresses.

i use an old elasta qp h2 bottle - it's 8 oz and has a fine mist. in it i use a about 2 teaspoons of pure glycerin, bout a tablespoon of cheapo conditioner - right now i'm liking vo5 tea therapy and several drops of essential oils; peppermint, rosemary, tea tree, lavender and ylang-ylang. when making your mix, be sure you use some teatree and rosemary in your mix to keep it clean.

a good ratio is 4 parts water to one part any combination of products. adjust the amounts of the ingredients to suit your hair, the weather, whatever!

if your hair likes oil, add a few drops of an oil in there too!

shake well and spritz before going to bed/in the morning, use to dampen your braids or twists, and as a scalp spray to sooth an itchy scalp.

you don't have to spend alot of money to transition - bad enough there are some things you have to spend those extra bucks on or you have a product you don't mind paying $$ for - this need not be one of 'em.

good luck guys............enjoy learning your hair and have fun with it!

Last edited:
Thank you LynnieB! I think ive been slackin in this department. i am beyond clueless. How did you find out about all these ingredients? I think im still havin trouble finding out what my hair "loves" and "hates". Of course im not that far yet in my transition.

You're hair looks fantastic! Remind me...how long was you transition?

LilMorenita said:
Thank you LynnieB! I think ive been slackin in this department. i am beyond clueless. How did you find out about all these ingredients? I think im still havin trouble finding out what my hair "loves" and "hates". Of course im not that far yet in my transition.

You're hair looks fantastic! Remind me...how long was you transition?

hey girl, thanks. i'm still in learning mode myself but am having so much fun that i don't realize i'm actually learning something LOL.

i transitioned for 15 months with about 6-9 inches of hair depending on where you measure. glad i waited to cut but i really do miss my length and being able to pony up right quick :D. BUT, i don't miss the detangling sessions at all lol.

i learned this stuff when i first noticed i was losing my hair. i searched all sorts of hairloss boards for anything i could before i finally went to a derm then went to healthfood store and stocked up. only used them a couple times though -i was just too scared to put anything else on my head that might make the hair fall out even more (paranoia).

anyway, i already had a stash of rosemary, peppermint, lavender, tea tree, ylang-ylang from those days it wasn't until hangin around NP (i've read a few of patient1's posts too) and picking up on the various mixes the ladies were making that i said, hmmmmmm..........why not get some use out of them.

i've tried the s-curl sprays and stuff and i don't like them, some due to smell, others because i didn't like the consistency. gave them to my son (he's a 360 waver) to use.

there's been alot of ladies using glycerin and castor oil. i tried to castor oil while transitioning but never went back to it, i think i used to much and it coated my hair something fierce and it felt so sticky (i prolly used too much, yep)........anyway, the glycerin really made alot of sense since it's the main ingredient in so many different moisturizing hair products.

glycerin helps keep the moisture in your hair and gives it a nice sheen. all you have to do is adjust the amount of glycerin to your water and watch how your hair responds, lessen or add as needed.

the eo's make your scalp feel sooo good especially the peppermint! you can use different eo's to make your spray smell wonderful!

girl you gotta prowl and search here and especially over on NP.......you'll learn so much!!

don't be afraid to try different things until you find what works for you. when you do, stick with it best you can. Be sure to "water" your new growth every day if you can :).

Yall are doing great!!

As of today my 27 month transition is OVER! :lol:

I went to a stylist today and has her flat iron my hair, which was the first time I'd used heat in 2 years! I also asked her to "trim" my hair because I had been doing some self trimming (;) ) for my whole transition and badly needed one.

When she was done she yelled out "You're natural sweetie!" :eek: :eek: :D :grin: :p <-- thats how I felt. Scared and overjoyed at the same time :)

She cut about 1 inch all over. I'm happy with it. My longest layer is 2 inches from APL. My shortest layers are chin length and everything else falls in between. My goal is to get to full, even APL by the end of the year (6 months). Wish me luck!!! :)

cupcake said:

I went to a stylist today and has her flat iron my hair, which was the first time I'd used heat in 2 years! I also asked her to "trim" my hair because I had been doing some self trimming (;) ) for my whole transition and badly needed one.

When she was done she yelled out "You're natural sweetie!" :eek: :eek: :D :grin: :p <-- thats how I felt. Scared and overjoyed at the same time :)

She cut about 1 inch all over. I'm happy with it. My longest layer is 2 inches from APL. My shortest layers are chin length and everything else falls in between. My goal is to get to full, even APL by the end of the year (6 months). Wish me luck!!! :)

Congratulations! I've been relaxer free about 27 months too, and I'm the same length as you are! Have fun with your new hair! :)

cupcake said:

Congrats...and we want pics! I bet your hair looks beautiful!

cupcake said:

:D :D ;) Awesome! Lots of hair blessings girl, way to go!

Has anyone 10 or 11 weeks post successfully wet wrapped their hair? JW, cause I just tried and am wondering if what I got is typical or if I did it the wrong way. Are there any tips or should I give this up? I have almost 3 inches of NG (I thought it was 2 but Im guessing I had some sort of a strange growth spurt) on the top of my head that tried to go straight but ended up just getting a looser curl/wave. Is there something I can use? Should I stick to flat ironing? Find another style? I have no idea, I was looking forward to wrapping since I have a hooded dryer now and I JUST finally learned how to wrap (at least I think I did?)...

cupcake said:

Oh cupcake! That's great! I hope I can transition for as long as you have!

I am thinking of doing my big chop early!! Maybe at nine months instead of 12. I guess I'll see in October.
But congrats cupcake I don't think I can go a year let alone 27 months!!!!

balisi said:
Just want to point out that you might want to reconsider the use of John Frieda's serum, or any serum that is silicone based. They make your hair feel good at first, but the silicone builds up on the hair, preventing any moisture from getting through. Removal usually requires harsh shampoos which in turn dry out your hair even more.

The 1st time I transitioned (April '03-April '04) I used the HELL out of John Frieda's serum. For months I used it on co-washed hair, my little wash n gos/puffs were so curly, pretty and shiny...but after a few months of doing this...I too noticed that my hair became dry, gummy, and was a H.A.M. I didn't know anything about build-up, clarifying, or the like...so i relaxed my hair out of frustration..I know better now..

Ok, Checkin in at 29 weeks post relaxer. I originally was only stretching my relaxers, but then I found out I was pregnant and decided to not relax my hair until after the babies were born. But THEN I decided that I would not relax my hair as long as I was breastfeeding them, and since I plan to do that for a year. SO basically, I will not relax (If I ever decide to after having natural hair for all that time) until December 2008. I figure that by then, I should have a good amount of hair by then. I once transitioned for two years and had just below bra-strap length hair before I relaxed it and the lady chopped it up to shoulder length (grr). I know that with my LHCF knowledge that whether I relax or not after these two years, my hair will be in much better condition.

I have 4.5 inches of new growth. I had APL length hair, but I've been trimming it every month or so, and by my next trim it's back at APL. Just a couple of days ago though, I got trim happy and cut it to neck length (gasp)
My problem is that I am not consitent with dc, pre-poo, or daily moisturizing. I just am unsure of what products to use, even armed with all this LHCF information..it's just so many options out there. I wear a phony pony, and that's it right now. In my snip-snip frenzy, I did at least remember to leave enough for a ponytail, thank goodness...

I used CON green to shampoo, aussie moist to condition, and will sometimes use EVOO as a pre-poo. My leave ins are sunsilk pink and herbal essence break's over, along with a product with castor oil. I don't have a regimen, don't know my hair type or texture.

InNeedofHairapy said:
The 1st time I transitioned (April '03-April '04) I used the HELL out of John Frieda's serum. For months I used it on co-washed hair, my little wash n gos/puffs were so curly, pretty and shiny...but after a few months of doing this...I too noticed that my hair became dry, gummy, and was a H.A.M. I didn't know anything about build-up, clarifying, or the like...so i relaxed my hair out of frustration..I know better now..

Ditto! Man I didn't even know of any other product besided John Frieda frizz eaze serum:ohwell:

So, here i am. I've decided to transition to natural again.
I transitioned in '05 for about 4 months and then just chopped it all off.
This time I plan on transitioning for at least a year, preferrably a year and a half.

My last texlax was in late march, so it's been 4 months so far. Since it's summer I've been wearing my hair wash n go all curly. When it gets cold I guess I'll be dealing w/ the two textures by wearing braidouts and straightening.

Whimsy said:
So, here i am. I've decided to transition to natural again.
I transitioned in '05 for about 4 months and then just chopped it all off.
This time I plan on transitioning for at least a year, preferrably a year and a half.

My last texlax was in late march, so it's been 4 months so far. Since it's summer I've been wearing my hair wash n go all curly. When it gets cold I guess I'll be dealing w/ the two textures by wearing braidouts and straightening.

Whimsy, how come you want to transition again?

Ok, so now I am 3 months in and feeling the tangles- doesnt matter, I can do this! I won't think about bcing/ tempted to relax (although I wont) til at least 6 months. It's all good :)

bmoreflyygirl said:
Whimsy, how come you want to transition again?

Well, I enjoyed my natural texture and the fact that I wasn't chemically abusing my hair (yes there are ways to make it less harmful, but let's be real, we're burning the life out of our hair with toxic chemicals - lord knows i'm not one to get all natural-hair-high-and-mighty, but it is what it is no matter how hard we try to keep it as healthy as possible) and I'd like to return to it.

That said.......i'll prolly texlax again in a few yaers.... yall know I get bored.

Definitely understand. I get bored which is why I sometimes go back and forth.

Whimsy said:
Well, I enjoyed my natural texture and the fact that I wasn't chemically abusing my hair (yes there are ways to make it less harmful, but let's be real, we're burning the life out of our hair with toxic chemicals - lord knows i'm not one to get all natural-hair-high-and-mighty, but it is what it is no matter how hard we try to keep it as healthy as possible) and I'd like to return to it.

That said.......i'll prolly texlax again in a few yaers.... yall know I get bored.

can anyone tell me a conditioner that gives alot of slip especially for us transitioner? ..i now theres been thread on this before but i cant find em so feel free to put a link if u know of one.

LilMorenita said:
can anyone tell me a conditioner that gives alot of slip especially for us transitioner? ..i now theres been thread on this before but i cant find em so feel free to put a link if u know of one.

I'm not transistioning but I do stretch for long periods of time and Silicon Mix is amazing!

Back