Transitioners support thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Bublnbrnsuga
  • Start date Start date
WOW cupcake that is great!!!!!

I can't a wait to see the pics when you do the BC in April. That will be around the same time I plan on doing my BC (only a 16 month transition though).

congrats to everyone for their transitioning..i luv this thread....

even though i havent put in as much as time as some ladies...i just saw that i had the date incorrect for what i was thinking was the day of my last relaxer..so i actually reached the 3 month transition ahead of time..

right now i have a sew in in and im thinking of taking it out to get some micros(a little bigger that micros) put in..i just brought the hair today...

cupcake said:
Thanks guys! We will soon no longer be "transitioners" but "naturals"!!!! :cool:

Looking forward to that day, although i think im getting to the point where i feel like cutting my relaxed ends off.

Here's to being a natural. :cheers:

Hi Ladies,
I am 5 months post relaxer. I am learning more and more. I realized that I can not do a detangling session, without a prepoo with oil or something after I wear my hair out. I learned that the hard way. My hair is still healthy. I am so excited. I need to put it in braids to keep my mind and hands off of it. Good Luck everyone:)

Anancy said:
Looking forward to that day, although i think im getting to the point where i feel like cutting my relaxed ends off.

Here's to being a natural. :cheers:

I know the feeling!!! I transitioned for 3months and caved in!!!

NewYorkgyrl said:
Ladies I am sooooo ready to do the BC. I thought I would transition for a year and a half (which would be at the end of May). Then I changed the date to March 30th. Now I don't know what to do because I am so ready to start experimenting with my hair instead of wearing my hair in a Ponytail/bun EVERDAY. There is not much to do with my hair in terms of styles anymore because in a lot of areas of my head the relaxer is hanging on for dear life. LOL (it's so sad).

Anyway I want to cut according to the moon calendar. So that means I might d do the BC in a couple weeks. Or wait until March 26th...and I don't know if I can take it anymote.

URRRR...decisions decisions (thanks for letting me vent)
:lol: that's me. It's tough holding out, but I said I would go 18- 24 months(at least til June 07)...
congrats on your upcoming BC.

Exactly 6 months checking in. Normally it would be time for a touch up and I really can't say that I'll never go back to relaxing, but right now, I'm definitely sticking to my one year plan.

Surprisingly, this transitioning has been a lot easier than my previous ones. I think that since coming to the board, I've gained a lot of knowledge about how to take care of the two textures. Now there have been days when I've wanted to snatch my hair out from the roots, but they have been few and far between.

So keep up the good work ladies and have fun on your journey.

3 1/2 months checking in. it's being going well so far. I had a minor set back with tangle hair today. funny my hair hasn't tangled till today. But then again i started using a new product. Anyways NTM deep mask is the truth!!!. It defined my curls and made it softer.

Hi ladies, I hope everyone is doing well on their transition. This is my first post on this thread and I'm 8 weeks post. This is ususally the week I would texturize my hair so I need some advice on what to do about combing my very thick newgrowth. Should I stop combing it at this point if so do I need to be concerned about matting or knotting?
Thanks

gradygirl said:
Hi ladies, I hope everyone is doing well on their transition. This is my first post on this thread and I'm 8 weeks post. This is ususally the week I would texturize my hair so I need some advice on what to do about combing my very thick newgrowth. Should I stop combing it at this point if so do I need to be concerned about matting or knotting?
Thanks
Congratulations on youre transition to natural. I am 6 months post 4a. I would only comb wet with a wide toothed comb, conditioner and in sections. Prepoos help alot and cowashes with lot of patience.hth

just checkin in im at 4 months :) as of Friday :) im rocking braids for awhile to ease my transition...and it makes it alot more easire having them...

Im 9 months post, not quite sure how much growth i've got. Hot Six Oil is great for keeping my natural hair soft and easy to brush.

How do you guys go without combing or brushing your hair - i wish i could do without it, my hair is just a hot mess without it. The only way i can avoid it, is if i have cornrows done.

Anancy said:
Im 9 months post, not quite sure how much growth i've got. Hot Six Oil is great for keeping my natural hair soft and easy to brush.

How do you guys go without combing or brushing your hair - i wish i could do without it, my hair is just a hot mess without it. The only way i can avoid it, is if i have cornrows done.

CONGRATS!! How long do you plan on transitioning for?

I'm close to 8 mo post and my relaxed ends are hangin on for dear life! For the first time I've thought about doing the BC, but I am too scurred! My NG is so thick and wavy that the only hairstyle that looks decent is a bun, and I am bored to death with that.

jaded_faerie said:
CONGRATS!! How long do you plan on transitioning for?

I was thinking until i get shoulder length natural hair and just trimming my hair in the meantime. i think the reason why i've chosen shoulder length is because i want enough length to put into a pony tail :eek: Bad i know, that's my confession, i can't live without the ponytail unless i do cornrows.

I think my natural hair just about makes ponytail length right now, im just waiting for it to be long enough to stay in a ponytail.
What i need to do is practise doing twists and twistouts (i like those hairstyles).

Last night was the first time in months that I tried combing my dry hair. It was horrible at first. My hair is curly/coily so when I airdry in a bun, the roots are entangled together. I ended up having to section it into 6 parts and first spray Dove moisure mist then use WGO in order to gently comb and detangle and braid. That combination worked wonders but now I'm scared that I'm not detangling enough right out of the shower. When the curls/coils shrink, they entangle. Maybe the key is when I detangle right out of the shower I need to twist instead of bunning?

Hopefully I'll figure this out before I co-wash again this week. I am 23 months post relaxer and my hair is about 7-8 inches all around. I'm almost 100% natural.

leleepop said:
Congratulations on youre transition to natural. I am 6 months post 4a. I would only comb wet with a wide toothed comb, conditioner and in sections. Prepoos help alot and cowashes with lot of patience.hth
Thank You!!

Anancy said:
I was thinking until i get shoulder length natural hair and just trimming my hair in the meantime. i think the reason why i've chosen shoulder length is because i want enough length to put into a pony tail :eek: Bad i know, that's my confession, i can't live without the ponytail unless i do cornrows.

I think my natural hair just about makes ponytail length right now, im just waiting for it to be long enough to stay in a ponytail.
What i need to do is practise doing twists and twistouts (i like those hairstyles).

Girl I am right there with you. I am 16 months into my transition and I was looking at my hair, thinking I should just hack off the relaxed ends. But I NEED that option for a bun. So i'll be waiting alteast another year. I may go for a wedge cut, but I really want it all the same length all around. Thats they way it is now. I dont really want layers. But with a wedge I should be able to do a wash and go.

I'm about four months into my transition and i think i'm ready to start experimenting with some wash and go styles now that the weather is getting warmer. Any suggestions on how to do this and what products to use? Thanks

Starting this thread was a great idea BublnBrnSuga; I've been wearing synthetic kinky twists for about 2 years now, with 1 perm in between, and decided last weekend (3/4/07) to have all the perm cut out of my hair. It was a DRAMATIC transformation for me, but I have absolutely no regrets. Now I'm rockin' 2 strand twists and eventually will have locked hair. Once I learn how to post pic's I will show everyone as the months progress.

Just wanted to say hello since I've recently transitioned as well,

LockStar

Another transitioner checking in!! (I'm new by the way, well not really was a member years back and just resigned up). I've been texturized for 4+ years but have decided to go fully natural. I just want stronger healthier hair. I'm in month 5 right now. I'm transitioning using mostly braidouts. I flat iron my hair about twice a month as well. My texturized hair and natural hair are really really close in texture so I think it makes it a lot easier for me.

I made 8 months. I really think I'm not going to make it a year. My hair growth speeds up during the warmer months and I can't fight the two textures anymore. My relaxed hair is bone straight and I am a 4a/4b. It's not blending at all. Once I find a good braider, I'm going to cut off the ends and wear braids for the summer. When I reveal my texture, I should be about 6-7 inches.

Woo hoooo guys i trimmed my hair yesterday for the first time whilst transitioning. I got rid of about 2 inches and it sure feels good. Im a few inches away from being completely natural because i had a hair cut at the time when i decided to transition.

I've got a tiny ponytail now, i was so tempted to just chop all my ends off, but the sane part of me realised that i still have no idea what to do with my short natural hair.
I wish i could take pictures to show you but i need batteries for my digicam.

Today I chopped off about 5 inches from front and 6 inches in the back. My back seems to grow faster. It was at bra strap but now its back to my shoulders. I am not sure how much i totally cut off cause i had to keep cutting a little here and there to get it even. I think the back of my head is all natural now. I blow dryed it out then cut it. This should be interesting when i wash my hair next time. I think a year from now I should be 100% natural.

Back