Transitioners support thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Bublnbrnsuga
  • Start date Start date
I have a question ladies. I don't know if anyone has already answered it. I am transitioning and i wanted to know if i have to cut off the texturized hair, b/c its a lot. I don't wanna so please say no..
Also, my nape is really getting there, but its dry and it breaks. While the top is shedding like crazy... is that normal since i am transitioning?:confused:

bravenewgirl87 said:
I have a question ladies. I don't know if anyone has already answered it. I am transitioning and i wanted to know if i have to cut off the texturized hair, b/c its a lot. I don't wanna so please say no..
Also, my nape is really getting there, but its dry and it breaks. While the top is shedding like crazy... is that normal since i am transitioning?:confused:

You don't have to do a big chop at all if you don't want to. You can just gradually trim off the texlaxed parts. There are plenty of us that do long transitions! I am almost 6 months post and plan to go for possibly another year or so. But you have to take really good care of your hair and give it lots of moisture (and protein). You said your hair is dry and breaking so you need to up the moisture level. Do lots of conditioner washes (2-3 times a week) use water based moisturizers and seal with oil daily. Or you could just deep condition more frequently like twice a week if you prefer. It is important to do this to minimize breakage, especially at the line of demarcation (where the newgrowth and texlaxed hair meet). HHG :)

KissKiss said:
Last night I was washing my hair and couldn't be arsed to wash in braids, so I bend my head back under the sink (like how they wash your hair in the salon) and let my sister wash my hair backwards rather than tilting my hair forward,

wow, did that hurt your neck at all Kisskiss?

bravenewgirl87 said:

ITA with amr501.

the only time i see someone doing the BC is:

1. the hair has severe damage or is breaking uncontrollably (possibly damaging your new growth). it's probably best to get rid of it.

2. you've made your final mind transition to natural hair.

3. you feel 100% comfortable and confident sporting that TWA (i luv my sisters that can do this!!!).

4. you just don't want the hassles of detangling dual textured hair.

lots of us aren't going to chop until we're ready, really ready and feel comfortable with our decision.

there's a ton of ladies who haven't BC'd and won't until they reach their personal goal - whatever/whichever reason they may have. there are no gold stars or bouquet of roses for BCing. it's your decision to make and no one elses.

with your breaking.........you really should try to up your moisture. moisturizing shampoos, conditioners, condition washing and/or deep conditioners with little to no protein. later on, if your hair begins to feel mushy or weak, then go with a good protein treatment.

sorry to sound like a broken record but amr501 is so on point with her advice.

best of luck to you!

yall are just gonna hate me for posting yet another picture - i'm sorry.

here's how i detangle:

it's kindof hard to show a in-motion picture when you've only got yourself to take the picture but, i think it's enough to give you guys an idea on what i was trying to describe.

btw, it's a vertical part (as nappy parts go) with about 1/2 inch thick piece of hair. i'm working on a 1/4 section of a head here.

HTH someone.

Last edited:
LynnieB said:

here's how i detangle:

it's kindof hard to show a in-motion picture when you've only got yourself to take the picture but, i think it's enough to give you guys an idea on what i was trying to describe.

btw, it's a vertical part (as nappy parts go) with about 1/2 inch thick piece of hair. i'm working on a 1/4 section of a head here.

HTH someone.

Your hair is beautiful!

okay so i am transition and i want to bc, but i scared...i want to cuz it seems that if i just get it over with and do te TWA than my hair should grow back thicker. I just don't know how i would look like with TWA hair. I would love for it to be like Eva's from ANTM, but i don't know. The thing is I love long hair and when i am natural i will wear it straight,but i don't want to damage it. i don't know if i wanna keep the relaxer because i don't want have to blend any more and i don't plan on relaxing the rest of my life. i think curls r beautiful, but i also like straight hair. I'm so confused. I wanna try something different and grow my natural hair BSL but i'm so scared to cut it, but i want the thickness

SSBD said:
. The thing is I love long hair and when i am natural i will wear it straight,but i don't want to damage it. i don't know if i wanna keep the relaxer because i don't want have to blend any more and i don't plan on relaxing the rest of my life. i think curls r beautiful, but i also like straight hair. I'm so confused. I wanna try something different and grow my natural hair BSL but i'm so scared to cut it, but i want the thickness

SSBD, I felt exactly the same way. In the end it was pure frustration with the relaxer, sometimes my didn’t take. The relaxer also made my hair thinner and at times I would experience breakage, so I decided to grow it out. The difference is noticeable; the new growth feels so healthy compared to my relaxed ends.

I also like to wear my hair straight, but as I grow my hair I am getting excited about wearing braids and trying out other styles. So if there is a style you really like, go for it. If you’re scared about the cut you could try cutting it gradually to pluck up the courage, good luck :)

Last edited:
LynnieB said:

here's how i detangle:

HTH someone.

:drool: :love: Your hair is sooooo pretty!!

Checking in at 21 weeks post. I am so proud of myself. This is my third time transitioning, but I never did it this long with loose hair. This board has helped me a lot, and I wish I had been here during my first transition, because I would probably already be natural. I'm going to the braid salon today to get some kinky twists. I hope to keep them up until March or April.

Ok, I finally made it to 21 months with no chemicals. I'm so happy. :D
I went to the salon on 12/30 to get a sew-in. I'm wearing this as my protective style until the end of February. When the stylist washed and conditioned my hair I noticed that I didn't have any straight ends! :eek: I'm hesitant to say that I'm fully 100% natural because I never chopped but I did transition for a loooong time. I was planning to BC in April 07 but maybe my hair grew out the relaxer on it's own? :confused:

My current length is:

Nape/Back: 2 inches past shoulder length
Sides: Clavicle length
Front/Middle: About 6 inches long

If I were to get it pressed out it would be layers all over and past shoulder length. I'm happy with my progress so far. My goal is to BC in April and by June have the back be APL length (stretched) and the rest shoulder length. I think I can reach this goal by protective styling and extra special attention to my sew-in weave (i.e. moisturizing, washing/conditioning and leaving in no longer than 5 weeks at a time). I am hoping to wear my own 100% natural hair in a puff, wash n' go and braidout this coming summer! :grin:

Congratulations, Cupcake! I'm inspired by your progress! I'm 11 months post-relaxer and I know what you mean about the relaxed ends "growing out." I think my ends are just breaking off cause the straight parts are getting shorter while the natural roots are getting much longer. I'm thinking by the time I'm at your stage, my straight ends will be gone too without any trimming.

It's been quite a challenge learning how to handle my hair at the different stages but I have to say now it's a lot easier to style. My main staples are a loose bun and pulling it up into a curly puff (my favorite style!). Right now, my hair is at shoulder length but I can't wait to have long, healthy, natural hair like some of the other naturals on this board. I love my new hair texture and I can't see myself going back to relaxers anytime soon.

Good luck to all my fellow transitioners and keep hanging in there!

im so proud of myself i actually made it 2 months today... :D each month that i add im going to celebrate that i havent given into getting a relaxer...im thinking of getting some braids or something to help me thru the transition...at least with braids i can usually go for 2 months at a time and not even notice...and i can also do the C&G method while doing it...

cupcake said:
I went to the salon on 12/30 to get a sew-in. I'm wearing this as my protective style until the end of February. When the stylist washed and conditioned my hair I noticed that I didn't have any straight ends! :eek: I'm hesitant to say that I'm fully 100% natural because I never chopped but I did transition for a loooong time. I was planning to BC in April 07 but maybe my hair grew out the relaxer on it's own? :confused:

My current length is:

If I were to get it pressed out it would be layers all over and past shoulder length. I'm happy with my progress so far. My goal is to BC in April and by June have the back be APL length (stretched) and the rest shoulder length. I think I can reach this goal by protective styling and extra special attention to my sew-in weave (i.e. moisturizing, washing/conditioning and leaving in no longer than 5 weeks at a time). I am hoping to wear my own 100% natural hair in a puff, wash n' go and braidout this coming summer! :grin:

Wow, 21 mos. that's awesome cupcake. I'm just barely 4 mos. (1/14). Can't wait to be where you are!

Congrats cupcake!! That is a great milestone :)

ETA: I just realized I'm 6 months into my transition today :yay:! It's been surprisingly easy so far :D

Last edited:
bluediamond0829 said:
im so proud of myself i actually made it 2 months today... :D each month that i add im going to celebrate that i havent given into getting a relaxer...im thinking of getting some braids or something to help me thru the transition...at least with braids i can usually go for 2 months at a time and not even notice...and i can also do the C&G method while doing it...

Congrats!!!!!! Every month is progress. Good luck on your journey.

amr501 said:
Congrats cupcake!! That is a great milestone :)

ETA: I just realized I'm 6 months into my transition today :yay:! It's been surprisingly easy so far :D

Congrats!!!!!! You have come a long way and I hope that the rest of your transition goes just as easy.

cupcake said:

My current length is:

Congrats!! I am one month behind you.

cupcake said:

My current length is:

Congrats! That's a great accomplishment, I cant wait to get there myself. :)

MeccaMedinah said:
My hair is loving shea butter & virgin coconut oil mixed. My hair is moisturized, soft and has a nice sheen.

And as far as protein is concerned, my hair doesn't like it very much. I use conditioners with protein in them and they are working out for me. Pantene R&N and Yves Rocher's Phytum Hair Care Nutrition Replenishing Conditioner. http://www.yvesrocherusa.com/shop_app/app_US/jms.jsp?_JMS_FLOW_ID_=2&_JMS_FLOW_NAME_=Main_JFLNUM_1&nav=product&familyNodeId=&lineNodeId=&articleNo=31417 HTH

I agree. i used a mixture of water, evoo, jojoba, coconut and sweet almond oil after i was shampooed. i mixed it all in a spray bottle. i took sections of my hair and put a little NTM on it and sprayed the section of hair and braided it. i then put a butter i made on the ends. my hair came out really soft, smooth and shiny:) i think i may do that every night and see how that works out.
my hair absolutely does not like protein at all!! my hair was traumatized by it. i can not use it on my hair unless its mixed in something i suppose. i would never(i dont think) use a protein treatment in my hair again.

Last edited:
Congrats to all you ladies celebrating a milestone whether it be 2 months or 200 months!!!

Your accomplishing your goals, perservering and remaining strong and that is something to be VERY proud of!!!

continued successes to all my transitioning sistas!!

:clap::clapping:

Hey ladies!

I made the mistake of checking out past transitioners albums at the beginning of the tread (which was started, what, 2 1/2 years ago?)...

big mistake! now i'm itching to bc!

but i'm holding in strong.

i do plan to start snipping out the ends, very slowly. a good flat iron and a pair of scissors on my list for this year.

how is everyone else?

Today's lesson boys and girls shall be 2 little words.....SHED HAIR!

i had to cut out 2 hair balls this weekend....i tried my dangest to detangle them, conditioner, fine tooth comb, fingers - all to no avail. I was actually relieved to find a pair of scissors :S

anyway, after picking the hair balls apart (yea, gross but i couldn't help it) - i noticed the hairs were all shedded hairs that wrapped around the growing stuff - it looked like about 4 or 5 shedders wrapped around 4 or 5 growing hairs. it's funny i hadn't noticed it earlier cause before i rebraid at night i usually take my fingers and go down the length and pull any shedders down and out - just missed them i guess.

so, lesson learned from one and being passed on to others.......watch those shedders - they're the devil for sure!

HHG yall.

Hey ladies!! I've decided to transition. I am a little nervous because I will be transitioning 100% without any chops, and I know it will be challenging.
Right now I am 3a/b relaxed with about 2-3 inches of new growth. I've been thinking about transitioning for awhile now, but knew it was probably time when I kept putting off doing my touch-up. :lol:
So I guess I will be visiting this thread often. TIA for the support!! :)

Back