Transitioners support thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Bublnbrnsuga
  • Start date Start date
sugarose said:
Hey ladies!! I've decided to transition. I am a little nervous because I will be transitioning 100% without any chops, and I know it will be challenging.
Right now I am 3a/b relaxed with about 2-3 inches of new growth. I've been thinking about transitioning for awhile now, but knew it was probably time when I kept putting off doing my touch-up. :lol:
So I guess I will be visiting this thread often. TIA for the support!! :)

Congrats on your decision and good luck on your journey!

So after only 3 months of transitioning, I just decided to do the BC. Ive been getting so irritated with my relaxed ends, they just seemed to be getting in the WAY! I cant believe I did it! I took pics but im in the hide your hair challenge, so they wont be viewable till then. My head feels so light. :)

CONGRATULATIONS Jaded !!!

I'm very happy for you :) I'm sure you're lovely with your natural hair. Enjoy !!!

Hi all I'm new to posting but not to the board.

so I've made the decision to transition. last relaxer was 11/06. I wanted to know for those who can't wear braids, what other style would you suggest. I've done bantu knots. I'm thinking about root blowouts. but what else can I do to make the hair more manageable. Oh yeah I'm not doing the BC- hopefully I can maintain.

Dani, your hair is GREAT !!! the pictures make me want to touch it:D

I sudently have an itch to BC myself...:ohwell:

jaded_faerie said:
So after only 3 months of transitioning, I just decided to do the BC. Ive been getting so irritated with my relaxed ends, they just seemed to be getting in the WAY! I cant believe I did it! I took pics but im in the hide your hair challenge, so they wont be viewable till then. My head feels so light. :)

Congrats! That is such a liberating feeling. Can't wait for the reveal.

jaded_faerie said:

Aww congrats!! Isn't it liberating? I wanna see :( So how are you hiding your hair now?

bmoreflyygirl said:
Aww congrats!! Isn't it liberating? I wanna see :( So how are you hiding your hair now?

THANK YOU! I left a small section in the front to continue wearing my falls, but im thinking of cutting it off since I found a cute little wig that looks natural. I cant stop playing in my TWA :)

sugarose said:
Hey ladies!! I've decided to transition. I am a little nervous because I will be transitioning 100% without any chops, and I know it will be challenging.
Right now I am 3a/b relaxed with about 2-3 inches of new growth. I've been thinking about transitioning for awhile now, but knew it was probably time when I kept putting off doing my touch-up. :lol:
So I guess I will be visiting this thread often. TIA for the support!! :)

Woo, good luck!! :)

Congratulations girl!! I can't wait to see pictures in April. :grin:
jaded_faerie said:

I was transitioning a few years ago but punked out and got a perm. My biggest problem is that I didn't know how to style my hair during the transition but now that I've found this forum (and in particular this thread), I realize I have so many options. I am now 12 weeks post relaxer and doing the 'Hide Your Hair Challenge' (ends April). I had a sew-in that I took out on Friday and I'm wearing a phony pony right now until I go to ATL to get tree braids on Friday. I actually was natural up until I was about 19 then decided I wanted straight hair. I had a nice texture back then but I know that the chemicals have changed my natural texture tremendously. I'm very excited about going natural (again) and sharing in this experience with all of you.

Last edited:
I'm sorry ladies I couldn't take it anymore. I ended up getting a relaxer on 1/26/07. Well one of my classmates needed a relaxer credit so I let her do my hair and I did her color and highlights. I'm in cosmetology school and we need a lot of requirements and here in AZ it's hard to get the relaxer requirements. I hope I'm forgiven! She used the Affirm no lye relaxer which I hadn't used before because I always used Affirm Lye, but my hair came out great. Again ladies I'm sorry and I wish all you ladies good luck.

I've texlaxed the last 2 times I relaxed but I've finally decided to transition as well:D . I hope I can handle it....:confused: but you ladies have a wealth of knowledge so I think I'll be fine. I am definately not going to do the BC until 6 mths. or perhaps a year into transitioning. I haven't gone through this entire thread yet, but what experiences have people had with going from texlexed to natural vs. relaxed to natural? Do you think it is easier?

jellynote said:
I'm sorry ladies I couldn't take it anymore. I ended up getting a relaxer on 1/26/07. Well one of my classmates needed a relaxer credit so I let her do my hair and I did her color and highlights. I'm in cosmetology school and we need a lot of requirements and here in AZ it's hard to get the relaxer requirements. I hope I'm forgiven! She used the Affirm no lye relaxer which I hadn't used before because I always used Affirm Lye, but my hair came out great. Again ladies I'm sorry and I wish all you ladies good luck.

That's perfectly fine, no need to apologize. ;)
Do what's best for you and your hair, good luck with your hair journey! :)

Sweet_Ambrosia said:

That's perfectly fine, no need to apologize. ;)
Do what's best for you and your hair, good luck with your hair journey! :)

ITA - This is a support thread whether you complete the transition or not. Hopefully I will but if not oh well.

I did a half hearted rollerset yesterday and my hair still came out pretty straight! I am 6 months 3 weeks post and my hair cam out straight enough for me to put a large comb through it while it was dry. I only stayed under the dryer for about 45 min total under med heat and air dried the rest. Still, the roots were stretched out pretty good. I was able to pull my hair back into a neat, loose bun without going to battle and looking like a frizzy mess afterward. I am going to revisit this tonight and do a better job of rolling and sitting under the dryer until the hair is completely dry. Bring on the long transition! I also don't have to worry about heat damage with this process like I do when flat ironing.

I'm a newly transitioning poster here! :wave: Kind of upset that I let my family derail me last year from my natural goal and relaxed in December. I decided that I have to do this for me and as long as I'M happy, then that's all that should matter. Plus my husband doesn't care...he said as long as I take the same care to keep my natural hair looking nice as I do my relaxed.:cool:

tetbelle said:
ITA - This is a support thread whether you complete the transition or not. Hopefully I will but if not oh well.
Tetbelle,

Your hair is beautiful. Do you henna? When you do airdry rollersets, how long does it take your hair to dry? I'm doing that this weekend for the 1st time but I'm nervous that it won't come out smooth. I was thinking of doing a combo of airdrying and some heat using my ionic hood dryer. What is your regimen?

sweetkita4 said:
I'm a newly transitioning poster here! :wave: Kind of upset that I let my family derail me last year from my natural goal and relaxed in December. I decided that I have to do this for me and as long as I'M happy, then that's all that should matter. Plus my husband doesn't care...he said as long as I take the same care to keep my natural hair looking nice as I do my relaxed.:cool:

Good Luck with your journey! :)

officially one year transitioning ladies and still going (and growing strong).

Enjoy your hair and your journey!!!

:)

Ladies I am sooooo ready to do the BC. I thought I would transition for a year and a half (which would be at the end of May). Then I changed the date to March 30th. Now I don't know what to do because I am so ready to start experimenting with my hair instead of wearing my hair in a Ponytail/bun EVERDAY. There is not much to do with my hair in terms of styles anymore because in a lot of areas of my head the relaxer is hanging on for dear life. LOL (it's so sad).

Anyway I want to cut according to the moon calendar. So that means I might d do the BC in a couple weeks. Or wait until March 26th...and I don't know if I can take it anymote.

URRRR...decisions decisions (thanks for letting me vent)

Ok I'm back to transitioning again. The relaxer that I let my classmate do on my hair hasn't went to well. I had highlights put in like 6 weeks before I let her do my relaxer, but every since Feb. 02, 2007 the day of my relaxer my hair has been falling out. I'm almost bald @ the nape and on my sides @ the temple. I'm also a diabetic so I don't know if my meds and the chemicals just didn't mix, but that did. I'm getting a weave on sat and growing my relaxer out that way.

Congrats LynnieB!!! :):):)

Today marks my 22nd month of transitioning! :D I must be crazy because last night when I washed my hair, I started thinking, hmmmm, I could go another year or so! :eek: The longest layer of my hair is the nape. Unstretched it is lower neck length. Stretched it is about 2-3 inches past shoulder length. The shortest part of my hair is the crown. Stretched it's about 6 inches. I am happy that I can now get my hair into a ponytail (low or high) with a small curly puff... but I still see about 1/2-1 inch of relaxed ends in some parts.

Pretty sure I'll be cutting the relaxed ends off in April (2 year mark)... I had a sew in weave from Dec. 30th-Jan 30th. Since I took it out I've been co-washing 2-3 times a week and my hair has really gotten thick. Pics coming!!
As protective styles I have been wearing a bun w/baggie, a phony pony or a fall. My hair is very moisturized since I put a creamy leave in in my hair right after I washed. I feel like it will take me another 2 years to get my hair to the desired length/look. Right now I have a curly afro- way bigger than a TWA but not long. The back layers are actually hanging vertically now so I just need to wait for the rest to catch up!!!

Back