Transitioners support thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Bublnbrnsuga
  • Start date Start date
Iam happy to announce that I did the BIG CHOP on December 21, 2006!!:woot: Sorry I have no pictures. But I went from shoulder length to a little fro. I just cant do the chemicals anymore, my scalp is just too sensitive and it seemed like my hair was getting thinner. I plan on locking my hair hopefully by the end of 07. My last perm was in October 06. So if anyone has any advice please feel free. Iam so happy right now!!! My husband thought I was going to be devastated but I'd rather have short & healthy instead of long and damaged.

Last edited:
LAYDEE said:
Iam happy to announced that I did the BIG CHOP on December 21, 2006!!:woot: Sorry I have no pictures. But I went from shoulder length to a little fro. I just cant do the chemicals anymore, my scalp is just too sensitive and it seemed like my hair was getting thinner. I plan on locking my hair hopefully by the end of 07. My last perm was in October 06. So if anyone has any advice please feel free. Iam so happy right now!!! My husband thought I was going to be devastated but I'd rather have short & healthy instead of long and damaged.

Congrats!! :clap:

LAYDEE said:
Iam happy to announced that I did the BIG CHOP on December 21, 2006!!

Congratulations!!! Im proud for you, i've been transitioning for a little while now but im avoiding the big chop because i've never been brave enough to change my hairstyle apart from when i relaxed it.

Here's to healthy hair :clap:

Thanks for all the support ladies!! I am so in love with how soft my natural hair is!-so much that I had to do something to keep my hands out my hair:D -so i got some kinky twist done. Again, i apologize for not posting pics, but when i redo the first two rows in about 2wks i will post pics to give you all an idea of the length.

This is my first time posting photos. I've been transitioning since April and wasn't sure if I wanted to stay with it, but I definitely am. I love my texture and love my hair!

Not going to share many before, because I don't have many, but I do want to share this one:
4cskrp0.jpg

because I used to be BALD on both sides, near my ears. Now I have this:

4dmf50k.jpg

I never, EVER thought I'd have hair there! Thank heavens for this board. My nape is getting longer by the day!

Here are a few more texture shots:

49jlr40.jpg

2ypdvtc.jpg

4cuhsh2.jpg

does anyone know of really good moisturizers to use for 4b hair? I tried doing a search, but that didn't work out too well...

:) thanks in advance

I'm still hanging in there. I did twists on my hair without extentions. It came out pretty good. The relaxed hair unraveled after 2 days but it was cool-kind of looked like I had extentions. I loved the twist pony tail. I looked all natural from the front. This is my new transitioning hair style. I need to get a better gel-I think I'm going to pick up some aloe vera and see if it holds better than the gel I used. I was suprised how versitile the hairstyle was-I curled them, pony tailed them, and I think I could have french rolled them. I am back on the long transition track. I can make a year, maybe more.

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this thread. I've have officially decided to transition and reading this thread has inspired me to give it a go, and what my real hair is like.

danimani said:
This is my first time posting photos. I've been transitioning since April and wasn't sure if I wanted to stay with it, but I definitely am. I love my texture and love my hair!

Not going to share many before, because I don't have many, but I do want to share this one:
4cskrp0.jpg

because I used to be BALD on both sides, near my ears. Now I have this:

4dmf50k.jpg

I never, EVER thought I'd have hair there! Thank heavens for this board. My nape is getting longer by the day!

Here are a few more texture shots:

49jlr40.jpg

2ypdvtc.jpg

4cuhsh2.jpg

your hair will look super pretty when natural, how long are you going to transition for? how much new growth have you got!? whats your hair type, sorry for all the questions :lol:

Hello Ladies,

I have alot of transitional pics in my fotki, just look under my old sections. In the beginning it was hard, and everyone thought I was crazy for growing my perm out. :nuts: I'm so glad I stayed focus, because I love my natural hair.The nape of my hair has never ever been this long. My hair would grow a little past my shoulders then break off when I was a permie. Now my hair is the longest it has ever been. This was one of the best decision's I ever made in my life:D

Be Encourage :woot:

Hi everyone,
I'm a newbie to this forum. Well not really have been lurking for dang near forever :) and finally subscribed. I have been transitioning for about 6 months and would really appreciate any tips and advice that is given. Thanks in advance. :)

howdy transitioners! how is everyone in this new year? any goals?

this will be my first full year transitioning. i just want to make it through!

KissKiss said:
your hair will look super pretty when natural, how long are you going to transition for? how much new growth have you got!? whats your hair type, sorry for all the questions :lol:

i plan to transition for at least two years. yes, i know i'm crazy! :p and i don't know how much i've got...i think i'll measure it tomorrow after i shower and get back to you!

EricaUk said:
Danimani,

your new growth is similar to my hair. How are you finding the transitioning processs?

i think i hit a hard patch around october/november...which would've been...around month six. it was hell, i had so much more new growth than i was prepared for and i couldn't figure out a style to save my life. i finally did figure out some styles that i love, and now i'm okay.

i'm not itching to BC per say, but i'd love to know what my natural hair looks like without relaxed ends. i keep telling myself the end result will be worth it. i started this process from april-december to see what i thought, and i'm definitely sticking through with it, no matter how many times my mother asks when i'm getting my "nappy hair" permed!

Your natural hair looks GREAT Dani....

its been 2.5 months into my transition....still in my early stages :) I plan to BC Dec 07'

danimani said:
i think i hit a hard patch around october/november...which would've been...around month six. it was hell, i had so much more new growth than i was prepared for and i couldn't figure out a style to save my life. i finally did figure out some styles that i love, and now i'm okay.

i'm not itching to BC per say, but i'd love to know what my natural hair looks like without relaxed ends. i keep telling myself the end result will be worth it. i started this process from april-december to see what i thought, and i'm definitely sticking through with it, no matter how many times my mother asks when i'm getting my "nappy hair" permed!

Love your texture! I'm nearing 6 months and plan a long transition as well. :)

Yeah your right, it will be worth the effort in the end. I’m also looking forward to the day when the last bit of permed hair is gone.

Does anyone know of a really good moisturiser that stops the hair getting dry making it easier to comb through the tangles.

EricaUk said:
Yeah your right, it will be worth the effort in the end. I’m also looking forward to the day when the last bit of permed hair is gone.

Does anyone know of a really good moisturiser that stops the hair getting dry making it easier to comb through the tangles.
I love my Suave Kids detangler. It's cheap, it smells good, and it works!

I also don't comb my hair dry. I try to come my hair out in the shower after I conditioner (i co wash) so when I get out, it's smooth sailing.

My hair is still Realy hard to comb out EVEN when saturated in conditioner, anyone else like this?

KissKiss said:
My hair is still Realy hard to comb out EVEN when saturated in conditioner, anyone else like this?

sometimes i have a tough time every now and again so instead of trying to detangle soaking wet, i do it when it's damp, when alot of the water from the relaxed ends has dripped off. it may or may not work for you but it's certainly worth a try.

i also try not to detangle a chunk of hair instead i'll make a kindof vertical row about 3-4 inches long and 1/2 to 1.0 inch thick and hold the hair between my index and middle fingers while detangling - that way, the hair doesn't clump and retangle itself. i still detangle from the ends up though and once one section is done, i'll either twist or clip it to hold it out of the way and move on to the next section.

sounds confusing i know....sorry.

EricaUk said:
Lynnie, is that similar to the crown n glory method of combing? Do you add any products to the hair?

i honestly don't know erica, i've never followed the c n g but i'm sure some of the other ladies do and can offer advice.

i started doing this as a way to adapt to the longer new growth.

sometimes i do add something usually elasta qp's h2 and while it's damp, i'll also put a small amount of shea butter on that a section just before detangling it.

hth

LynnieB said:
sometimes i have a tough time every now and again so instead of trying to detangle soaking wet, i do it when it's damp, when alot of the water from the relaxed ends has dripped off. it may or may not work for you but it's certainly worth a try.

i also try not to detangle a chunk of hair instead i'll make a kindof vertical row about 3-4 inches long and 1/2 to 1.0 inch thick and hold the hair between my index and middle fingers while detangling - that way, the hair doesn't clump and retangle itself. i still detangle from the ends up though and once one section is done, i'll either twist or clip it to hold it out of the way and move on to the next section.

sounds confusing i know....sorry.

yep I get you, I'll give it a try next wash

ooh I got a tip:- kinda simple and i guess most of you girls probably do this already, but to those of you that don't
Last night I was washing my hair and couldn't be arsed to wash in braids, so I bend my head back under the sink (like how they wash your hair in the salon) and let my sister wash my hair backwards rather than tilting my hair forward, and when I was done no knots WHATSOVER, i then blowdryed my hair without the attachment getting stuck and w/o having to detangle before I blow dry, I was escatic :D :D (sp). Also prior to washing I applied LeKair cholestrol conditioner on my hair with a plastic bag whilst I took out my sisters weave, which help with making my hair sooo soft, especially considering the dry state that it was in before... just thought i'd share :p

Back