Transitioners support thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Bublnbrnsuga
  • Start date Start date
That's it! I am transitioning. I am have been back and forth for sometime now but some encouragement from a friend has sent me fully on the natural side! :p

On to reading this thread!

currygyal said:
That's it! I am transitioning. I am have been back and forth for sometime now but some encouragement from a friend has sent me fully on the natural side! :p

Congratulations currygyal!!!

You have made a wise decision and your hair will thank you! You will definitely get a lot of support from the ladies on this forum. Their advice has guided me well over the past 10 months.

currygyal said:

Congrats on your decision, good luck ! ;)

have any of you used Abba hair products? I want to start using all natural conditioners and I just wanted to know people's results with this line.

GoingNatural said:
...My mom told me to get some big earrings and keep smiling and I will be fine. This coming from the woman who doubted me on my natural journey!!!

I'm glad your mom is supporting you. Good luck with your natural journey:).

GoingNatural said:
Congratulations currygyal!!!

You have made a wise decision and your hair will thank you! You will definitely get a lot of support from the ladies on this forum. Their advice has guided me well over the past 10 months.

Thank you. I'm glad to have joined this forum and have learned so much already. The natural choice is a big one as I've been texturized for years. But I know you all will be cheering me along. :)

Currygyal- Good luck with your decision!

Goingnatural- I haven't used ABBA's products, but I am in love with Aubrey Organics.

I am tranisitioning for sure now. My last relaxer was on September 27. I think I am aiming for a year,then I will do a mini big chop to my texlaxed hair in April. I am currently an inch past my collarbone,1/2 inch to armpit.

leleepop said:
I am tranisitioning for sure now. My last relaxer was on September 27. I think I am aiming for a year,then I will do a mini big chop to my texlaxed hair in April. I am currently an inch past my collarbone,1/2 inch to armpit.

Congrats on your decision.

Bublnbrnsuga said:
Goingnatural- I haven't used ABBA's products, but I am in love with Aubrey Organics.

Thanks Bubln! I think I am going to purchase from them soon! I co-wash my hair every other day, so I want to make sure my hair is as nourished and healthy as possible! :grin:

Oh, and to co-sign on your signature about all these products that say they will grow your hair long.

Why is it that everyone (99%) that SWEARS these products work has short hair that they are still trying to make grow!!!!???? That doesn't convince me! :p

Ladies, I found this interesting. :eek: Hope this helps with everyone's natural journey!

Products you DO NOT want in your hair products:
http://www.theorganicsalon.com/label_search.php
http://www.aubrey-organics.com/about/treat_10synth.cfm

Are there any downsides to transitioning with braidout or twistouts and if so what are they? This are my comfort zone styles and I am hoping that I can get away with this through the duration.TIA

leleepop said:
Are there any downsides to transitioning with braidout or twistouts and if so what are they? This are my comfort zone styles and I am hoping that I can get away with this through the duration.TIA

BUMPING...I would like to know as well!!

leleepop said:

In my transitioning albums, you'll notice that I transitioned with braidouts (put into a ponytail often) for the entire summer and some of fall. Twistouts didn't work in my hair because I was relaxed bone straight and the texture wouldn't hold. I used buns for the rainy winter.

Cheleigh said:
In my transitioning albums, you'll notice that I transitioned with braidouts (put into a ponytail often) for the entire summer and some of fall. Twistouts didn't work in my hair because I was relaxed bone straight and the texture wouldn't hold. I used buns for the rainy winter.
Thanks! You album is an inspiration. I will continue to wear my braidouts,twistouts and the occassional bun,ponytail.

amr501 said:
Hi Melodee! congrats on making it 10 months, I'm only at 3 & I have a lot of newgrowth so I can only imagine what you're dealing with. Braids are a great idea to help you get past the remainder of your transition, especially now that it's getting colder and your hair will probably need even more moisture! I am getting braids and keeping my hair moisturized with braid spray.

Thank you! I think I may get braids for the holidays.

Hey everyone,
Its been on year since my last relaxer!! I am so happy i have made it this far. Around 4 months into it i thought i wouldn't be able to do it. My only problem is shedding. I am shedding something terrible. But i have been very stressed out so i think thats the cause of it. I have just been doing buns and that seems to work.

My little update

I am 4 months post relaxer. My hair is a dry, scary mess. I had short hair to begin with, so I only had 3 or 4 inches that I needed to cut off to lose my relaxed ends. Anywho, I can't find any reliable moisturizers! I am wearing cornrows at the moment, and I'll be moving along to getting micros again in December. So, if anyone can recommend a good moisturizer that I can use while my hair is in braids, please let a sista know!

-Erin

Sweetcoco82 said:
Hey everyone,
Its been on year since my last relaxer!! I am so happy i have made it this far. Around 4 months into it i thought i wouldn't be able to do it. My only problem is shedding. I am shedding something terrible. But i have been very stressed out so i think thats the cause of it. I have just been doing buns and that seems to work.

Congratulations!!!!!!! :clapping:

I applaud you because I know I won't make it to a year even though I'm soooo close. The itch to cut is too strong!!! I feel you on the shedding. I'm transitioning with weaves, so I don't comb my hair for two months at a time. I'm always surprised I still have hair attached to my scalp when i'm done! :lol:

I am only 20 weeks post, but I need a could oil to put on my scalp. Any suggestions? This is hard for me, my family thinks I am crazy, but I think I will be able to stick to this, especially because I am broke. lol!!

TCatt86 said:
I am only 20 weeks post, but I need a could oil to put on my scalp. Any suggestions? This is hard for me, my family thinks I am crazy, but I think I will be able to stick to this, especially because I am broke. lol!!

Try Jojoba oil, or Wild Growth Oil.

GoingNatural said:
Congratulations!!!!!!! :clapping:

I applaud you because I know I won't make it to a year even though I'm soooo close. The itch to cut is too strong!!! I feel you on the shedding. I'm transitioning with weaves, so I don't comb my hair for two months at a time. I'm always surprised I still have hair attached to my scalp when i'm done! :lol:

Thanks. I have to be able to put my hair in ponytail. I have 2 small children that keep me very busy and i also dont have anyone to do my hair for me on a regular basis. I would love to cut it all off, but then i'd be stuck trying to twist or braid my hair or something and that would take me a long time to do myself and i know my children wouldn't be letting get it done so i'd have a half done head and have to put some kind of wrap on it to cover it up, lol. So the longer transition is what i am going to do.

The shedding is out of this world. The other day i shed so much i was in the miror trying to see if i had any bald spots in my head from all the hair i had lost. :perplexed I hope this stops soon.

Happy to report I am at 19 months, post relaxer. :D I have been wearing a sew-in weave for 17 days and I miss my curls and washing my hair :(

I am going to take it out in 2 more weeks, can't wait. Also since I've gone this long without a relaxer, it feels like I can make it until April 7th (exactly 2 years).

Congrats Sweetcocoa! :) Making it to the 1 year mark is not easy!

TCatt86 said:

Any natural oil would be good, I personally like Coconut Oil.

LilChocolateMa said:
My little update

I am 4 months post relaxer. My hair is a dry, scary mess. I had short hair to begin with, so I only had 3 or 4 inches that I needed to cut off to lose my relaxed ends. Anywho, I can't find any reliable moisturizers! I am wearing cornrows at the moment, and I'll be moving along to getting micros again in December. So, if anyone can recommend a good moisturizer that I can use while my hair is in braids, please let a sista know!
-Erin

African Royale Braid Spray is a good moisturizer, diluted S-Curl works well too.

Sweetcoco82 said:
Hey everyone,

Congrats!! :)

hey ladies...
been awhile since i posted
i have been transitioning since nov 2004
and plan to MC in April, hopefully my natural hair will be BSL be then
good luck to everyone on there journey~!

Sweetcoco82 said:
Thanks. I have to be able to put my hair in ponytail. I have 2 small children that keep me very busy and i also dont have anyone to do my hair for me on a regular basis. I would love to cut it all off, but then i'd be stuck trying to twist or braid my hair or something and that would take me a long time to do myself and i know my children wouldn't be letting get it done so i'd have a half done head and have to put some kind of wrap on it to cover it up, lol. So the longer transition is what i am going to do.

The shedding is out of this world. The other day i shed so much i was in the miror trying to see if i had any bald spots in my head from all the hair i had lost. :perplexed I hope this stops soon.

I, too, want to be able to do a ponytail before I chop. But I'm sooo tempted, not because of shedding---but I hate having to style it with the straight ends.

I have some transition pics in my album now. Take a look and see what I mean about the straight/vs. coily.

Back