Transitioners support thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Bublnbrnsuga
  • Start date Start date
vangrey said:
hey ladies...
been awhile since i posted
i have been transitioning since nov 2004
and plan to MC in April, hopefully my natural hair will be BSL be then
good luck to everyone on there journey~!

Pretty hair, lady!

So I have finally decided I am going to go natural last week. I am 7 weeks post relaxer, I am not cutting all my hair off though. It's just above my shoulders and is already starting to act ignorant! Breaking, shedding, can't comb it, knots up in the crown. Besides just braiding it down for 6-8 mths. what do I do to get started on the transition. I have super thick hair so it's even more daunting. HELP!!!

It's funny how just one comment from someone can change your outlook on things.

I had a date with Mizani tomorrow as it is a holiday.

Well, I went to Riker's Island yesterday to visit my schizophrenic client. We are discussing his treatment in a visiting room when he says "are you growing out your relaxer?:eek: It looks much better:lol:

It was strange because I looked a hot mess as it was raining and I had a baseball cap covering most of my hair. I asked him how could he tell and he said he is a barber and could see the difference from before, he said it looked good:D

I left that horrible place with a smile on my face and now I feel I can go at least a little longer, Mizani will just have to wait :look: ;)

Just checking in. Not even sure what month I'm in. I'm doing really well. did a roller set the other day and it was banging! Got a ton of complements.

My biggest grrrrr moment is that before I began transitioning, my nap was pretty bald from bad relaxers. But because it was straight, I pretty much could keep it laid down.

Now my nape has grown in a bit, but not enough to put in a ponytail. I can't wait until it's finally long enough to reach into a normal pontytail!

But not too many complaints. Sooo happy not to be bald in my kitchen anymore! :lol:

I've had my sliky twists for about a month now and received about 2 inches of growth . I will be heading to the Salon this evening to get a sew-in. I have an interview on Tuesday and I wanted to look a little more polished...Plus I miss the hair!! lol. I will prob keep the weave in till December, after that...??? So far I am having a ball playing in my new growth and finding the right products for my hair.

Haven't been here in weeks. Justa quick update:
I am in cornrows now. I have about 2.5" of growth and I'm slowly approaching my 6th month which is HUGE for me. My next style will be either twists or braids...most likely twists.
Anybody know which is the best hair for twists?

msdr said:
So I have finally decided I am going to go natural last week. I am 7 weeks post relaxer, I am not cutting all my hair off though. It's just above my shoulders and is already starting to act ignorant! Breaking, shedding, can't comb it, knots up in the crown. Besides just braiding it down for 6-8 mths. what do I do to get started on the transition. I have super thick hair so it's even more daunting. HELP!!!

Just wanted to wish you the best on your transition!! Going through this thread you will find some helpful information for your transition. :)

msdr said:
Try to only comb when its wet. Try doing braidouts with perm rods on the ends so you wont work against your textures, also on wash days try detangling in sections. hth

Last edited:
Just checking in to say I'm exactly 3 months post today and I would normally be scheduled to get a touch up, but I swear, the thought to call my stylist never popped into my mind.

KiSseS03 said:
I finally tried washing my hair in plaits tonight, and I feel like transitioning is going to be soooo much easier from this point on. The only thing that I hated about transitioning was washing because of all the tangles, and I felt like I lost sooo much hair. Tonight I lost mere strands! I also discovered NTM Shampoo which I am now in LOVE with!

I felt the same way. I have not had a relaxer in 8 months and was close to a texturizer until I remembered to wash my hair braided. It has made 100% difference. Before my 4a hair would become so tangled and matted, I wanted to cry...but now it's easier to manage...wash and condition in braids and let it air dry.

Checking in. I am still wearing the sew-in and it's been almost 5 weeks. I got it washed, conditioned and styled again on Saturday so it looks brand new.
I'm still taking care of my scalp and hope to get about 1-3 inches of new growth from this hairstyle.

So far, so good here....just past 4 months now! I've been bunning & wearing braidouts and doing lots of conditioner washes. Still trying to find my staples (I think I've found most though) I'm loving my denman brush, it has been great on my newgrowth!:)

I am about 14 weeks post relaxer, and I'm so happy! I don't remember ever going this long w/o a relaxer. I am experiencing some issues with the relaxed hair tangling (just a little), but I'm able to handle it thanks to the members sharing their experiences and tips. I'm slowly learning how to care for my natural hair as well as my relaxed hair, but I can't wait until the BC sometime between Sept. and Dec. 2007. Keep sharing those tips! :thumbs up:

Last edited:
So far so good 7 weeks post. Ive been lazy this week and doing 4 box braids,two in front and 2 in the back. I wear it in a braidout in the mornings. I dont think I want to do a BC. My hair is healthy and I dont want to cut. I 'm gonna cut an inch every three months and as needed. Good luck everyone:)

Happy to say i've reached 9 months since my last relaxer!!!

Seems everything (for the most part) has gotten so much easier since i've found the right products, techniques and styles that work with the natural hair and relaxed ends. there are still days that can be a bit frustrating (like when you've got that rollerset looking sharp and danged if it doesn't rain for days and days:lachen:)

I hope all my transitioning sisters stay patient with their hair and themselves and for goodness sakes, keep trying those products til you find what works well for you!!

Now is the time to enjoy being a Product Junkie!!!!

;):D

I got two more months till my transitioning anniversary. Guess you don't call it a nappiversary until you're fully nappy, right??:)

melodee said:
I, too, want to be able to do a ponytail before I chop. But I'm sooo tempted, not because of shedding---but I hate having to style it with the straight ends.

I have some transition pics in my album now. Take a look and see what I mean about the straight/vs. coily.

Your hair is alot like mine. I felt like i was looking at my hair when i was looking at your pics. I have a bit over a years worth of coily hair, then these straight ends hanging off it. I have been wearing a bun this whole time. I want to get it cornrowed though. I dont have much time to try braid outs or twist outs. My 2 young children keep me so busy. So it just stays in a bun. I get tempted to cut it also. But then i think of what a hot mess i'd look cause i dont always have alot of time to do my hair. So i need a bun as an option.

amr501 said:
So far, so good here....just past 4 months now! I've been bunning & wearing braidouts and doing lots of conditioner washes. Still trying to find my staples (I think I've found most though) I'm loving my denman brush, it has been great on my newgrowth!:)

Which Denman brush do you have if you dont mind me asking?

Sweetcoco82 said:
Which Denman brush do you have if you dont mind me asking?

This is the one i currently use:[SIZE=+0]Denman Paddle Cushion Brush [/SIZE]
103301.jpg
By: Denman, Inc.

Sally Item #: 103301

Sizes: Large, Also available in Small (Item #103512)
Use this brush to smooth, straighten and style all hair types.
Soft bristles and cushion pad are gentle on your hair and scalp
Long lasting and easy to clean
Available in Small and Large

Usage Tips
Ideal for wet or dry styling, roller sets and massage and stimulation of the scalp. Regularly remove loose hairs with a brush comb.

I got it from Sally's, but I think I'm going to switch to the Denman D5 because it's less bulky (here's a pic of the D5):

Ladies do you think its possible to transition without ever BCing?I have 4a coily fine to med strands,that measures thick. I DO NOT want to cut my hair above my shoulders. My hair is very healthy and its texlaxed about 70 to 75 percent. I plan to cut 1 inch every three months. WHat do you guys think? Also has anyone got the new Cathy Howse book and if so was it helpful?

amr501 said:
This is the one i currently use:[SIZE=+0]Denman Paddle Cushion Brush [/SIZE]
103301.jpg
By: Denman, Inc.

Sally Item #: 103301

Sizes: Large, Also available in Small (Item #103512)
Use this brush to smooth, straighten and style all hair types.
Soft bristles and cushion pad are gentle on your hair and scalp
Long lasting and easy to clean
Available in Small and Large

Usage Tips
Ideal for wet or dry styling, roller sets and massage and stimulation of the scalp. Regularly remove loose hairs with a brush comb.

I got it from Sally's, but I think I'm going to switch to the Denman D5 because it's less bulky (here's a pic of the D5):

Thanks. I have the Large paddle brush also and i like it so far. If you buy the smaller one, let me know how it is. Cause that other one is a bit bulky.

leleepop said:
Ladies do you think its possible to transition without ever BCing?I have 4a coily fine to med strands,that measures thick. I DO NOT want to cut my hair above my shoulders. My hair is very healthy and its texlaxed about 70 to 75 percent. I plan to cut 1 inch every three months. WHat do you guys think? Also has anyone got the new Cathy Howse book and if so was it helpful?

Yes its possible to transition without BCing. Thats what i am doing. I ended up cutting 7 inches off my hair due to breakage. I was pregnant and the last thing on my mind was my hair, lol. So it suffered a bit because of that. I cut it right above my shoulders 9 months ago. Now its back past my shoulders a bit. I think from now on i am going to cut about 1 inch every 3-4 months until all the staight ends are gone. Sorry i dont know anything about the book though.

Checking in. :) So far so good. It's been almost 8 weeks since I tried to have my mother texturize my hair, and it just did not take. So then I just up and said "no more." The temptation to texturize is there, but hopefully I will hold out.

leleepop said:

Yep, its definitely possible. That's what I'm doing too. :)

Just checking in. I'm 19 weeks post :eek: . I am going to press or flat iron my hair for Thanksgiving. I'm not a big braids fan, but I am considering getting some to give me a rest from dealing with the two textures. I just know that when I get out of the braids, there will be even more new growth for me to deal with.

Ok my frustrated level is high already!Help me yall.

I actually counted the weeks and I am 10 weeks post relaxer not 9. All my hair is BREAKING off, I can't comb it- I'm scared it will break more, I wore a wig this past week, but my ends are all split and nasty, this just happened in the past 3 weeks. I haven't done anything different. I did a recon conditioner and then followed with some humectress- my hair loves this stuff. But it feels like I didn't put a thing in my hair! Now it's like it's so dry and I can't keep enough pink oil, grease, water, evoo, anything in my hair. I have so optimum 3 in 1 hair creme, my hair laughed at that 20 min after I put it in. Tonight I am going to wash and condition it really good, but have no idea to put in it and how to get a quick moisture infusion!

It's acting ignorant!!!!

HELP!!!!!

msdr said:

I actually counted the weeks and I am 10 weeks post relaxer not 9. All my hair is BREAKING off, I can't comb it- I'm scared it will break more, I wore a wig this past week, but my ends are all split and nasty, this just happened in the past 3 weeks. I haven't done anything different. I did a recon conditioner and then followed with some humectress- my hair loves this stuff. But it feels like I didn't put a thing in my hair! Now it's like it's so dry and I can't keep enough pink oil, grease, water, evoo, anything in my hair. I have so optimum 3 in 1 hair creme, my hair laughed at that 20 min after I put it in. Tonight I am going to wash and condition it really good, but have no idea to put in it and how to get a quick moisture infusion!

It's acting ignorant!!!!

HELP!!!!!

Are you really using pink oil? as in pink oil moistuizer!? That stuff could be the culprit right there! It has soo much mineral oil in it that it actually seals out moisture, making hair dry & brittle- throw that stuff out stat!
I would clarify, and deep condition (Elasta QP DPR-11 mixed with EVOO or lekair shea butter cholesterol is great) for 30 min with heat; after rinsing use a good water-based leave-in (elucence moisture balance) and seal with oil. I put undiluted S-curl no drip on my newgrowth daily- it :love:'s it! I have a spray bottle filled with distilled water, a few squirts of Elucence MB, sweet almond oil and rosemary oil- I mist my hair with this daily for moisture, my hair is thriving and I have no breakage (I'm past 17 weeks post)! HTH :)

msdr said:

It's acting ignorant!!!!

HELP!!!!!
Dont comb it while it wet. Try to do a no heat style on it like braidoiut,twistout ,buns. Humecto is a really good moisturizer and ors olive oil is good i hear. Giovanni smmoth as silk it a good condish for cowashes.hth

msdr said:

It's acting ignorant!!!!

HELP!!!!!
Dont comb it while it wet. Try to do a no heat style on it like braidoiut,twistout ,buns. Humecto is a really good moisturizer and ors olive oil is good i hear. Giovanni smmoth as silk it a good condish for cowashes and/or detangling.hth

Back