Transitioners support thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Bublnbrnsuga
  • Start date Start date
amr501 said:
Are you really using pink oil? as in pink oil moistuizer!? That stuff could be the culprit right there! It has soo much mineral oil in it that it actually seals out moisture, making hair dry & brittle- throw that stuff out stat!
I would clarify, and deep condition (Elasta QP DPR-11 mixed with EVOO or lekair shea butter cholesterol is great) for 30 min with heat; after rinsing use a good water-based leave-in (elucence moisture balance) and seal with oil. I put undiluted S-curl no drip on my newgrowth daily- it :love:'s it! I have a spray bottle filled with distilled water, a few squirts of Elucence MB, sweet almond oil and rosemary oil- I mist my hair with this daily for moisture, my hair is thriving and I have no breakage (I'm past 17 weeks post)! HTH :)

Yes as in pink oil moisturizer. I'm sorry but I was pulling anything and everything out of my cabinet looking for relief. I was thinking of doing the clarify wash and some cholesterol and a cap. I'm trying to see if I can get my hair braided tomorrow. If not then I will be hunting for my wig again. Braid my hair under it and put on a wig cap maybe? And then spray with some surge, i think i still have some, and some scurl. Or maybe just scurl.

When my hair did really well I washed it everyday, mostly co washes, put it in a ponytail and was gone. But that was when I didn't work. Now with work and school, I have precious little time to be trying to do hair.

Lord help me!

Checking in and according to my ticker I'm almost 5 months into my transition and I am doing well, I have some new pics in my album.

msdr said:
Ok my frustrated level is high already!Help me yall.

I actually counted the weeks and I am 10 weeks post relaxer not 9. All my hair is BREAKING off, I can't comb it- I'm scared it will break more, I wore a wig this past week, but my ends are all split and nasty, this just happened in the past 3 weeks. I haven't done anything different. I did a recon conditioner and then followed with some humectress- my hair loves this stuff. But it feels like I didn't put a thing in my hair! Now it's like it's so dry and I can't keep enough pink oil, grease, water, evoo, anything in my hair. I have so optimum 3 in 1 hair creme, my hair laughed at that 20 min after I put it in. Tonight I am going to wash and condition it really good, but have no idea to put in it and how to get a quick moisture infusion!

It's acting ignorant!!!!

HELP!!!!!

Oh my goodness, same here. That's what i am afraid of. My hair just really started to break in the last few days. It's scaring me. I want to be natural but if it doesnt stop, I will texturize again. One thing I cannot take is seeing my hair fall out... :(

Last edited:
Just checking in...

Today marks the 16th month of my transition!! :grin: :woot: :grin:
My transition is still going smoothly, my new growth is growing in well. It's soo soft and beautiful, I'm soo in :love: with it I can't stop touching it sometimes! :look: :lol: I'm so proud of myself for making it this far in my transition, it's kinda hard to believe that I've been transitioning for this long! :eek: Transitioning at this point in time is fun to me, yeah that may sound a little weird to some, but I'm truly content with my transition thus far. I'm predicting sometime next year my hair should be 100% natural, since I only have a few inches of relaxed ends left. I can't wait for that day to come! :D

Sweet_Ambrosia said:
Just checking in...

My transition is still going smoothly, my new growth is growing in well. It's soo soft and beautiful, I'm soo in :love: with it I can't stop touching it sometimes! :look: :lol: I'm so proud of myself for making it this far in my transition, it's kinda hard to believe that I've been transitioning for this long! :eek: Transitioning at this point in time is fun to me, yeah that may sound a little weird to some, but I'm truly content with my transition thus far. I'm predicting sometime next year my hair should be 100% natural, since I only have a few inches of relaxed ends left. I can't wait for that day to come! :D
Congratulations!! I cant wait to get there!!:)

currygyal said:
Oh my goodness, same here. That's what i am afraid of. My hair just really started to break in the last few days. It's scaring me. I want to be natural but if it doesnt stop, I will texturize again. One thing I cannot take is seeing my hair fall out... :(
Do a deep condish and a baggy or something !! Dont give up!

Sweet_Ambrosia said:
Just checking in...

WOW!! 16 months - you GO girl!!! You really do have something to be proud about!

it's so nice to see other looooongterm transitioners in da house! not only commraderie but also proof that transitioning doesn't have to be a horrorible experience......thanks!

Sweet_Ambrosia said:
Just checking in...

:yay:WOW:yay:
Congratulations, I'm just hopin' I can make it to a year, you go girl!!!

Happy Turkey Day Everyone!!!!!!!

Is there anyone here that did a BC after only a few months of new growth. My last touch up was the end of July and I reall hate dealing with the 2 textures. I get tired of buns, have never owned a wig or had a weave in my life.

Just wondering if anyone has done this and how they felt afterwards.

Thanks!

toninatl said:
Happy Turkey Day Everyone!!!!!!!

Is there anyone here that did a BC after only a few months of new growth. My last touch up was the end of July and I reall hate dealing with the 2 textures. I get tired of buns, have never owned a wig or had a weave in my life.

Just wondering if anyone has done this and how they felt afterwards.

Thanks!

I know bmoreflyygirl did. She got tired of transitioning and chopped. Give her a buzz (PM).

So i did the big chop!!!! :grin: :grin: :grin:

Unfortunately, I think my decision to transition with weaves is keeping me from seeing the results I wanted.

The hair that was not in the weave is super curly and beautiful.

The left side of my hair has a loose curl and the right side of my head is wavy.

I'm going to condition my hair AGAIN tomorrow and see what happens. I think I need to train my hair? maybe? :confused: :confused: :confused:

I'll post pics soon!!!! Hopefully tomorrow.

GoingNatural said:
So i did the big chop!!!! :grin: :grin: :grin:

Unfortunately, I think my decision to transition with weaves is keeping me from seeing the results I wanted.

The hair that was not in the weave is super curly and beautiful.

The left side of my hair has a loose curl and the right side of my head is wavy.

I'm going to condition my hair AGAIN tomorrow and see what happens. I think I need to train my hair? maybe? :confused: :confused: :confused:

I'll post pics soon!!!! Hopefully tomorrow.

don't get discouraged GoingNatural......do you deep conditionings and some super moisture treatments.

Congratulations!!!!

NewYorkgyrl said:
Your hair is beautiful!!!! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks!!! I look like Kramer from Seinfeld and that is NEVER a good look (especially as of late!)!!!! :lachen:

I can't deal with short hair so i'm going to get weave for about 2 to 4 more months...I need about 2 or 3 more inches of growth until i'm more comfortable with my hair being out for public viewing

dicapr said:
How do you get your hair to hold a style? My hair never holds a style more than two days. Even when I get my hair done professionally, styles don't last. I am 15 weeks post now and tired of a ponytail. My braidouts are cute, but they don't last. Any suggestions?
My twist outs don't last either. In the evening, to refresh the style I spritz distilled water on my hair, oil or moisturize, and re-twist. The spritzing just dampens my hair, so it dries completely by morning. HTH.

About my transition: It wasn't a conscious decision; I just never made an appointment to get a touch-up. It's been almost 18 months since last my relaxer and I truly did not notice the time or the transition go by.

My hair is the longest it's ever been in my life - just past bra strap - so I'm reluctant to go for a big chop. I think I'll probably get bi-annual trims starting in 2007 (January & July) until the relaxed hair is completely gone.

For now twist outs and buns are my styling options. Interestingly enough, I have fewer tangles and less breakage wearing my hair in a twist out than an updo. I do worry about my hair catching on my handbag strap, hand rails in public transport, etc.

Last edited:
Tommorrow i have a hair appointment. and i've been wearing braids for a while without washing it ( i have been doing this for a year, give or take the occasional break with relaxers.) I want to grow my hair naturally b/c, quite frankly, thats what i have been pretty much doing anyway. I don't want to wear braids anymore b/c my hair grows so fast that after a week my hair is frizzing out of the braid. Like, i grow hair like crazy! Its thick, soft and chin length b/c i cut it alot (but then maintaining the cut b/c expensive). i don't think i want a relaxer; i want something new and edgier. I want my hair to be curly or wavy, so i was thinking perm or texturizer. But i don't want the tight coily fro... More wavy, softer-- think Halle Berry or Tracee Ellis Ross. I don't know which one to get and i'm really confused. Actually, what is the differencee bwtween Texturizer, a perm, jheri curl, s-curl? Can someone help me please?

Bravenewgirl87, the transitioners support thread is for people who are growing out chemically relaxed hair. Since your questions are about different chemical processes, they might be more appropriate in a new thread where you'll get more responses.

Okay, so I purchased a Denman D4 brush from Trade Secrets and I must say it is a Godsend! At this point in my transition (18 weeks) my new growth is getting pretty challenging :lol: ......I used the D4 after spritzing my hair with spray bottle concoction (distilled water, elucence moisture balance conditioner and essential oils) and it slid through my hair like butter and my waves just 'pop' now!:eek: It will become a staple in my regimen from this day forward.....and I feel like I can transition for as long as I want now! If anyone is having trouble dealing with their new growth- give the denman a try!

Last edited:
Now I am know my hair type (as sure as anyone can be). I posted this elsewhere but I just think that it is funny that as my mon was cutting my hair Friday she kept trying to comb out those spirally, "knotty" pieces. I kept trying to tell her that was my texture but she kept pulling with the comb :eek: . Ouch! She was so concerned that she wanted my to go back to blow drying to prevent my hair from making those coils. I tried, unsuccessfully, to tell her that is what my hair does naturally. So, I guess I am 4a/4b. 20 weeks post and still going.

Hey guy! Still going strong, wednesday I will be 9 weeks post. I bought four books from Amazon.com for support. If they are worth mentioning I will post them after I read.

bravenewgirl87, you can do anything you like!

I'm sure you know this already, but just to make sure we're on the same page: by definition transitioning means stopping all chemical processes that alter the hair's natural curl pattern and no longer getting touch-ups on the new growth.

However, the things you mention above - "Texturizer, a perm, jheri curl" - are all chemical processes that alter the hair's natural curl pattern. If you get any of those done you will be chemically processing you hair, i.e. not transitioning.

S-Curl is a moisturizer that many women here use and there are quite a few threads on it. The forum search feature can help you find them.

Back