Transitioners support thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Bublnbrnsuga
  • Start date Start date
Im along the lines of jaded faerie. Im thinking maybe a new hair cut will help me but I need to be sure of that decision. I like the fact I can pull my hair back if I mess up a hairstyle, but a new haircut will force me to deal with shorter hair.
IDK....I've hit a slump in my transition as well.

(((HUGS)))) ladies

mscounselor said:
Im along the lines of jaded faerie. Im thinking maybe a new hair cut will help me but I need to be sure of that decision. I like the fact I can pull my hair back if I mess up a hairstyle, but a new haircut will force me to deal with shorter hair.
IDK....I've hit a slump in my transition as well.

(((HUGS)))) ladies

I felt the same way...but something just overcame me and I knew I wanted to do it....you'll know when its time

(((hugs back))) :)

Thanks so much :) I am going to call around my area this weekend and set something up!
amr501 said:
(((hugs))) sorry your fustrated.....Congrats on making it this far though :)
I wish I was 18 months into my transition! ;)
Have you tried experimenting with different products for wash & go's like the fantasia IC gel, or curly pudding? I can't cornrow either so don't feel bad about that. Is there a salon around that specializes in dealing with natural hair? maybe you could get pointers there. Or try PM'ing some of the naturals (with texture similar to yours) here for styling tips- I'm sure they would be more than willing to help you out! :) HTH, good luck!

How do you get your hair to hold a style? My hair never holds a style more than two days. Even when I get my hair done professionally, styles don't last. I am 15 weeks post now and tired of a ponytail. My braidouts are cute, but they don't last. Any suggestions?

dicapr said:
How do you get your hair to hold a style? My hair never holds a style more than two days. Even when I get my hair done professionally, styles don't last. I am 15 weeks post now and tired of a ponytail. My braidouts are cute, but they don't last. Any suggestions?

See I'm at the same point! I am approaching 15 weeks and it's getting harder to maintain styles......I'm thinking about getting box braids and trying the crown & glory routine to cut down on manipulation :ohwell:

I was transitioning but I'm tired of this. :mad: :mad: I thought I could do this, but I can't. Yesterday after I put In my Colourshines in Cinnamon...I thought damn I am so tired of my hair being shrunken with these lil nappy/curls . I have to relax this quick!! I got two different textures going on and this bun I wear every single day is played. I swear this week... I'm about to call my beautician, I know she miss me.

Just an update- I got a sewn-in weave. I'll take care of it and keep it in until next month but I needed a break from transitioning :)

cupcake said:
Just an update- I got a sewn-in weave. I'll take care of it and keep it in until next month but I needed a break from transitioning :)

:trampolin I wanna sew in!! Enjoy your break!! I'm getting some braids soon ;)

kimmy132 said:
I was transitioning but I'm tired of this. :mad: :mad: I thought I could do this, but I can't. Yesterday after I put In my Colourshines in Cinnamon...I thought damn I am so tired of my hair being shrunken with these lil nappy/curls . I have to relax this quick!! I got two different textures going on and this bun I wear every single day is played. I swear this week... I'm about to call my beautician, I know she miss me.

No, keep going with the transition. I was in your boat a few months ago and I got the relaxer and I am still regretting it. Have you tried braidouts or bantu knots to deal with the two textures? If you want the two textures to be straight, just have the beautician press or flat iron your hair. But stay with us, and we'll see you on the natural side.

cupcake said:

Girl, I been rocking a wig everyday myself. I'm still kind of dealing with two textures, but those few hours when I don't have to worry what my hair is looking like are bliss.

Thanks B Phlyy,

I have tried to do twistouts but they never turn out right....the front is fine but the back is all matted with no curl pattern whatsover. Unfortunately, I do not know how to plait so I can't do a braidout...the problem with my flat twists may very well be my technique. I also sweat a lot in my head so my roots puff up as soon as I flat iron it to do a twist out. I will take your advice and ask my beautician if she will flat iron my hair....knowing her, she will tell me to wake up and get a perm.:)

Thanks though...

kimmy132 said:

I second the flat iron or a light press. I flat ironed my hair this weekend and I feel refreshed in my transisition. I'll take a weeks break and go back to the no heat, two textures fight starting next week.

I have been seriously thinking about transitioning. I been thinking about it soo hard my head been hurting.lol I 've bought some books and I am only 1 month post relaxer w/about 4-6 inches underprocessed roots. I am about 1 1/2 inches from armpit and the ends are bonestr8. I am still undecided but I just wanted to get it out in the open. If I dont transition I am gonna try to stretch my relaxers to 4 months and so on. I'm tryna take it one day at a time but I am overwhelmed and confused about what I want to do.

Last edited:
Ok...so I had a great experience at a natural salon I found on the Essence salon directory. She told me how to alleviate my dry scalp and how it was related to my Rx's Im taking. Anyhow, while she was doing my straw set she asked when I would be cutting off my relaxed ends and I told her July for the fam reunion. She took some hair and stretched the natural part and it hit my shoulders! I was like wow. She said when I cut the ends off and get a light blow dry, my two strand twists would be as long as my straw set is now.
SO......Im considering BC'ing at the end of the year and be free before I move out of state. Since I wont post a thread about it, only you guys will know....
Wish me luck!

mscounselor said:
Ok...so I had a great experience at a natural salon I found on the Essence salon directory. She told me how to alleviate my dry scalp and how it was related to my Rx's Im taking. Anyhow, while she was doing my straw set she asked when I would be cutting off my relaxed ends and I told her July for the fam reunion. She took some hair and stretched the natural part and it hit my shoulders! I was like wow. She said when I cut the ends off and get a light blow dry, my two strand twists would be as long as my straw set is now.
SO......Im considering BC'ing at the end of the year and be free before I move out of state. Since I wont post a thread about it, only you guys will know....
Wish me luck!

Wow....that's great!! you're hair must really grow quickly!! :)
How long have you been transitioning?? I need to find a natural hair salon too. Please do let us know when you chop, and take pics ;)

Hello!!!

I decided I can't wait until July 2007 to cut. I initially wanted to wait a year and a half until the BC, but because I have been wearing weaves during my transition I have decided the BC will now be December 29, one year and three days after my last relaxer.

Since I am wearing weaves during my transition I dont have the opportunity to properly care for my line of demarcation. So when I take out my weave and unbraid my hair I am losing SOOO much hair because the relaxed hair is too weak to hang on. That is why these relaxed ends have to go! :p

Also, I figure if I don't like my hair at the length it will be on Dec. 29 then I can't just put another weave in and at least when I take that weave out I won't have to deal with all the breakage.

I co-wash with Curls Moisture Max and I moisturize with Curls Milkshake. I think they are all natural products, but I'm not sure. I just know my hair hasn't dried out and it looks and feels very healthy. I haven't used heat on my hair and havent really had to manipulate my hair since July and I think I have about 5 inches of BEAUTIFUL new growth. I have never had short hair, so I am excited and nervous.

Can't wait to update you guys in December! :grin: :grin: :grin:

GoingNatural said:
Hello!!!

I decided I can't wait until July 2007 to cut. I initially wanted to wait a year and a half until the BC, but because I have been wearing weaves during my transition I have decided the BC will now be December 29, one year and three days after my last relaxer.

Since I am wearing weaves during my transition I dont have the opportunity to properly care for my line of demarcation. So when I take out my weave and unbraid my hair I am losing SOOO much hair because the relaxed hair is too weak to hang on. That is why these relaxed ends have to go! :p

Also, I figure if I don't like my hair at the length it will be on Dec. 29 then I can't just put another weave in and at least when I take that weave out I won't have to deal with all the breakage.

I co-wash with Curls Moisture Max and I moisturize with Curls Milkshake. I think they are all natural products, but I'm not sure. I just know my hair hasn't dried out and it looks and feels very healthy. I haven't used heat on my hair and havent really had to manipulate my hair since July and I think I have about 5 inches of BEAUTIFUL new growth. I have never had short hair, so I am excited and nervous.

Can't wait to update you guys in December! :grin: :grin: :grin:

I admire all who have the nerve to BC!! Can't wait to see those pics, I'm sure it will be the bomb!! ;)
Where do you find the Curls Moisture Max and Curls Milkshake?

Just checking in to say I'm 10 weeks post and I so want to BC already, but I don't want to face winter time with a bald head. I think I am going to start stretching out wash days and getting a few more wigs to add variety.

B_Phlyy said:
Just checking in to say I'm 10 weeks post and I so want to BC already, but I don't want to face winter time with a bald head. I think I am going to start stretching out wash days and getting a few more wigs to add variety.

Good idea....about the wigs ;)
I'm stretching out my wash days too, I def wouldn't BC until it gets warmer.

amr501 said:
I admire all who have the nerve to BC!! Can't wait to see those pics, I'm sure it will be the bomb!! ;)
Where do you find the Curls Moisture Max and Curls Milkshake?

I get them from Curls.biz. Their products also smell really good! I found out about them on the motowngirl.com product review page and have been very satisfied!

I missed your mention of doing the BC in december mscounseler!!!! We can be transition/BC buddies for the next 2 months!
:yay:

I will probably need the motivation because now, although people are okay with how my natural hair looks, they don't know how they feel about me having short hair. So I could definitely use the support

Yes, that is me and Thank you! I guess I should have a fotki album, but me and the camera just aren't good together. I don't make the time for the photo shoots. :( :( I'm sure I will regret that looking back.

I'm just nervous because i had BSL hair until I was 19 (I'm 22 now) and then I cut my hair to my shoulders because I had damaged it trying to dye my hair blond. Shoulder length was extremely short to me, and although I hate to admit it I cried. Mostly because I wasn't prepared for the cut, I told the stylist to cut 3 inches but she said it was too damaged and there went my hair.

SO basicaly, to be shorter than shoulder length is scary/exciting, but I know it won't be bad this time because my mind is prepared for it. My mom told me to get some big earrings and keep smiling and I will be fine. This coming from the woman who doubted me on my natural journey!!!

GoingNatural said:
Yes, that is me and Thank you! I guess I should have a fotki album, but me and the camera just aren't good together. I don't make the time for the photo shoots. :( :( I'm sure I will regret that looking back.

I'm just nervous because i had BSL hair until I was 19 (I'm 22 now) and then I cut my hair to my shoulders because I had damaged it trying to dye my hair blond. Shoulder length was extremely short to me, and although I hate to admit it I cried. Mostly because I wasn't prepared for the cut, I told the stylist to cut 3 inches but she said it was too damaged and there went my hair.

SO basicaly, to be shorter than shoulder length is scary/exciting, but I know it won't be bad this time because my mind is prepared for it. My mom told me to get some big earrings and keep smiling and I will be fine. This coming from the woman who doubted me on my natural journey!!!

Don't feel bad about crying, that was a LOT of hair to lose all at once! Shoot I've cried over less than that, I've never been BSL! :lol:
Anyhow, you may be pleasantly surprised when you BC and find that you really like short hair ;)......and I bet it will grow back quickly. Also, no one can force you to chop....you could always change your mind and opt for a longer transition if you like. Options, that's the beauty of this thing!:)

Yeah, I had to announce it on the thread because I KNOW I need to cut. Keeping the relaxed hair and keeping my hair braided for the sew in weave is a bad combo, I should have taken a picture of how much shedding there was when I took my last weave out!!!:eek: The whole point is healthy hair..right? So I need to "man up".

But it's nice to know the forum won't come and chase me with scissors if I punk out!! :lol:

GoingNatural said:
Yeah, I had to announce it on the thread because I KNOW I need to cut. Keeping the relaxed hair and keeping my hair braided for the sew in weave is a bad combo, I should have taken a picture of how much shedding there was when I took my last weave out!!!:eek: The whole point is healthy hair..right? So I need to "man up".

But it's nice to know the forum won't come and chase me with scissors if I punk out!! :lol:

Nope, no scissor chasing here....nothing but support ;)
You're right, the point is healthy hair & if I notice that it is becoming compromised, then I will also "man-up" :lol: & chop too!

Hello Ladies!

Congrats on making it so far in reaching your natural goals. You are inspiring me to go natural without the big chop. (I'm too dependent on a ponytail) With a relaxer I am used to wraping my hair for bed, what do you do with your hair at night? How do you use the BBD Strech?Thanks so much for the information.

Last edited:
Back